Mass Exporting Documents

BamaBillyP

I keep all my tax related documents in one folder with "tax" tags but am having an issue trying to get them easily to my accountant. These notes can vary from a .pdf, .jpg picture and plain text. The issues is really around those that have pictures, like a picture of a receipt I took. There are also issues if the note was directly emailed. When I export, it downloads each embedded picture from that email. I have tried MANY options. The best I got was the mass "Save Attachments" but that's really only great for .pdfs. Several of my notes are images. And even though the note is titleled and tagged, if I "Save Attachment" it only saves the image file name which generally is not specific. 

Ideally, I wanted to select all those notes -> Export into a consolidated .pdf. 

I also found really bad image quality when printing to .pdf. Sometimes, if its a picture, it doesn't scale the image and you only get a fraction of the image. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, BamaBillyP said:

I keep all my tax related documents in one folder with "tax" tags but am having an issue trying to get them easily to my accountant

You might want to identify your platform (Mac/Windows/Web/...) it impacts the options available.

Has your Accountant indicated any preference?

You don't want a single PDF file, that would be too confusing with attachments

Evernote offers an export to HTML option.  Your note will be an HTML file, and any attachments will be in a separate note folder. This is the safest option since it's closest to the EN format and minimal format conversion

You could export to PDF, but you need a third party service;

Print to PDF is also an option and will include images, but will not include PDF attachments.  I don't know about the resolution issue

>>These notes can vary from a .pdf, .jpg picture and plain text.

Just to be clear, a note is basically text with pdf/jpg attachments

Thanks. I actually experimented with the HTML version, but sort of hard when they want you to upload files to their own secure servers. 

I have the ability to print to a PDF. There were some issues though, including the quality. 

The end goal would be to have it all with one .PDF. I have 50+ individual notes from the year, again some pictures, some the notes already PDFs, etc...I just one to have them all merged into. 

Since some of the notes may actually not have attachments, maybe its an email confirmation of something I can deduct, the "Save Attachments" feature won't work. 

• Level 5*

My process would be to process each note,  one at a time and print to PDF

1. Print the images directly, not as part of a note
  2. Save the pdf attachments 
  3. Rename the PDF files accordingly

If you don't want separate PDF files, you can use a PDF editor to merge them

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, BamaBillyP said:

I also found really bad image quality when printing to .pdf. Sometimes, if its a picture, it doesn't scale the image and you only get a fraction of the image.

12 hours ago, BamaBillyP said:

The end goal would be to have it all with one .PDF. I have 50+ individual notes from the year, again some pictures, some the notes already PDFs, etc...I just one to have them all merged into. 

Since you seem to be having trouble printing to PDF, I'm going to assume you are running Windows, correct?

Using EN Mac 6.9.2, I was able to print (save to PDF) easily and successfully.

• My Note is several pages long, formatted with Tables and other formatting
  • It has two PDFs attached
  • It has one image.
  • When I select the Note, and Print, I have the choice (provided by the macOS) of "Save as PDF".
  • When I choose this, the result is three PDFs:
    • One PDF of the Note content, including image, but with a placeholder for each attached PDF
    • A PDF for each attached PDF.
    • All had a file name of the Note Title (but I can change that)
    • Each of the attached PDFs had the same file name plus a ".1" and and ".2".
    • The quality of all of the output PDFs is excellent.

If it were me, I'd print each Note to a separate PDF file (or set of files), and make sure the output PDF file name had a meaningful name.  I would then put all into a zip file for upload to my accountant.

Another option is to put all of your tax Notes into a separate Notebook, and share that NB with your accountant.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Archived