Flexibility to create notes in columns without using Tables

dmcmaste

Idea

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote is not Dreamweaver or MS Publisher - it has trouble with anything more than basic tables,  so sophisticated layouts are not an option.  If you can create such a layout in another application however,  it is usually possible to copy and paste them into Evernote - or just attach the output file to a note so it can edited further when necessary...

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, evernote user for life said:

This seems limiting. One Note has much more flexibility on how to structure notes

Standard advice for better formatted notes,  is:  use a word processor.  A lot of my Office and Mindmap files are attached to notes so they are available to view and edit in compatible software wherever I am.  Providing the same level of formatting in Evernote as either or both of my go-to apps for those files would mean menus covering most of a laptop screen.  And Evernote's version of formatting might not be compatible with,  or as good as the stand-alone apps I use.  Plus Evernote would probably be 10 times more expensive to cover the development cost.

OneNote are sheltered by the Microsoft umbrella and they started from a different place.  Maybe they have a better product - only time will tell.  I do know it doesn't work for me in any way shape or form.

1 minute ago, weeannabee said:

i second this. it wd mean i can see more of my note on one page before i have to start scrolling down.

This thread is about the legacy version of EN to which no further changes will be made.

Much of the advice given above still stands. If you need more complex formatting, use a word processor and attach the file. You could even save it as a pdf and see it inline within your note.

Tables are much improved in EN V10 (in my opinion) and while it is not possible to exactly emulate the screen shot in the original post, you can come pretty close.

• Like 1

tbh none of that stuff will hit the mark. it's for ad hoc lists and i want my eye to be able to see as much of it as possible at once so i don't have to scroll up and down. what you get is essentially one column with lots of vertical scrolling required and what i want is to be able to write across the page - but not a formal table where i'm adding and deleting stuff in cells. i just tab things across at the moment.

• Like 1

I've not usaed One Note for a while but as somebody commented above it is much more flexible about where you start writing. EN has never had that and I really can't imagine they will go down that route especially in the short term. There are lots of flexible online note boards that you could link to from EN

• Level 5

OneNote and EN follow different concepts about how a note is looking, and how content is structured.

If somebody is happier with how ON sets it up, he should switch. I am happy the way EN does it. If I need columns, I use a table, and that's it.

What usually is intended to be the best of all worlds, and ends up being software hell: Wishing all features on one heap, in one app. A cherry cake is not yummy if you bake it out of cherries only.

• Like 1

See here for a more recent discussion (that also contains a link to another discussion):

The only way you can implement columns is if you have fixed page widths and page heights. You don't have that in Evernote or One Note, or Apple Notes, or so many notes apps.. Well, where do we have fixed page widths and page heights?... In Word Processors. So what this request is saying, is first: make Evernote have fixed page widths and page heights like a Word Processor, then second: give it a columns feature.