Evernote v8.1 for iOS Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We continue to fix bugs and top crashers. This version also re-adds 3D Touch Peek and Pop actions on note lists as well as some additional improvements.

New:

• Peek into notes from the note list using 3D Touch
    • Press on a note to Peek into a note without marking it as recently viewed
    • Swipe up to expose more options:
      • Set Reminders / Clear Reminders / Mark Reminders as complete
      • Add to / Remove from Shortcuts
      • Share (this opens the share sheet)
    • Press a little harder to Pop into the note editor (in view mode)
    • This works on 3D Touch-enabled devices (iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus)
  • Improved Reminders swipe actions in the note list
    • For notes without reminders, tapping the swipe action Reminder button adds a reminder and prompts for date
    • For notes with reminders, tapping the swipe action Reminder button gives more options to add/change/remove date, mark as done, or clear reminder

Fixed:

• Reduction/elimination of App Store sign-in prompt
  • Adding tags to Business notes via autocomplete will now search all Business tags
  • Saved searches created before v8 can be added to shortcuts
  • Filter by tags in joined notebooks
  • Cancel button on verify email screen closes the screen
  • Sync improvements
  • More reliable offline notebook downloading
  • More reliable sending contact info after scanning a business card
  • Fixed crash when canceling from Print screen
  • Fixed crash when opening attachments in other apps
  • Many other bug and crash fixes

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, iamhondo said:

You took the words out of my mouth. And we can discourage the annoying cheery tweets, too.

This kind of crisis-response feedback blackout from EN is commonly seen with offshore products where English isn't a first/strong language. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. So either EN is reading these intense responses and ignoring them (bad) or they're providing a platform for feedback but not reading it (bad). And the plummeting iTunes rating seems to be equally ignored. It's becoming increasingly hard to trust my data to people with this kind of reckless business practice. If they're fumbling customer communication so bad, what else?

Again, this kind of talk is overheated. I doubt very much Evernote is "ignoring" or "not reading" this feedback, and as much as I am frustrated with the new iOS app nothing they've done could be called "reckless." 

Another feature request: in the new iOS app it's a lot of taps to set a reminder and add a date and time. I can't remember how it was done in v7.x (and it galls me that I can't -- I used that feature all the time in the iOS app!) but I seem to remember it being much easier, requiring fewer taps.

Also, while I appreciate Evernote trying to save screen real estate, it wasn't readily apparent that I needed to swipe down to reveal the search bar when I want to search the notes in a particular notebook instead of tapping on the search icon in the bottom menu. I found that to be somewhat frustrating. 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

Again, this kind of talk is overheated.

Agreed; I just can't get emotional about some software.

I am delaying my upgrade to v8 until the issues are worked out.  I have data backups to recover from lost data, and a Mac to access my notes if my iPad fails

The Number One area that needs to get fixed is Performance.  This app is almost unusable in its long delay in creating a new note or accessing an existing note.  It seems like it actually freezes my phone.  iPhone 6Plus.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Just in case any EN staff are reading this, here is an example I saw today of the proper way to communicate development status with your customers. Take heed.

Would that be like this example where current changes are outlined along with outstanding work

New Bug

iphone version - note is open in text edit - phone sleeps following inactivity or following manual lock - going back into EN the keyboard area is active but empty!  Have to switch to text format or bullet mode for the bottom pane and back to text edit mode again to get the keyboard to come back.

FYI - I have fingure print/pin lock on entry to EN enabled

iPhone and iPad versions still have long lags on entry.  Lack of bullets and bullet-indent on keyboard header is even more frustrating than when initially lost at the start of this process - these two items are the key lack of productivity inflicted on me by EN.  I spend more time transiting laggy menus and waiting than typing!

pls - pull your collective fingures out - talk with your loyal followers and fix the problems.  

You will save more face (and customers) by being honest and open than hiding your head in the sand trying to tough it out.

the first stage is admitting publicly that there is a problem

13 hours ago, DTLow said:

Would that be like this example where current changes are outlined along with outstanding work

Don't confuse release notes with communication on development progress and feedback on that progress.

I've had a program manager (someone who has MANY project managers working for them) read the two articles.  The luckman212 article is a progress report on development, communicating to those interested what and why they are doing something with products.  The DTLow / cifip article is a set of release notes - what has been done (and "what has not" I notice reading the last part).  The later is NOT what the discussion is about.  The former IS about communicating ones plans on what, why and how.

Now I have determined, based on earlier posts / reply, that THIS forum (the one we are in) is probably the not one that those discussing or wishing to discuss progress should be in.  Those interested should be in the beta forums.  I am beta testing Mac EN and thought I was slated to beta others EN platforms.  So I re-applied to do so at the earlier post link.  I'm still waiting to hear BTW.  

Frankly, I would like to believe the EN development staff ARE interested.  And not seeing the beta forums, I can't compare this forum and the beta, but would have thought that the trend that is being requested here IS for the EN staff to either comment / reply in THIS forum OR redirect to the appropriate place.  They do neither.  Which I think is the main point being put forward by those who post seeking EN feedback. 

On 16/02/2017 at 1:27 AM, Ben P said:

Is there any acknowledgement at all of the slowness of this version? I used to use Evernote constantly, I've hugely reduced my usage since this version appeared.

This version: 

• takes 20+ seconds to open cold start
  • takes 5+ seconds to get back to a responsive app if I switch apps
  • randomly crashes, often taking content down with it, so I am forever switching between the list view and the note view to force it to save
  • camera doesn't allow saving sometimes
  • interface issues whereby it LOOKS like it loaded, so I start tapping, but hasn't, it's just showing what it last did
  • I don't even remember what else - it just doesn't work well

If I wasn't a long-time user and having paid, keep 1000s of notes in my account, I'd have given up by now. As it is I'm just investigating other options, but first choice would really be some feedback from EN that they are aware of the v8 iOS issues and are addressing them.

For me it's opposite. V7 reguarly crashed and often delayed for 30 sec before opening. V8.1 runs very quickly(at least so far).You should submit request to support(as a  paid user you will have a quick response) . EN support are quite professional and by analysing logs they can diagnose the particular problem, that will help you and probably others. 

Evernote crashes within 2 to 5 seconds of me opening the app on my iPhone. I don't even need to do anything - open the app, look at it, crash. It is unusable, unless someone can offer me a work around. I have tried to re-install the app and have also restarted my phone, but neither of those fixed anything.

My primary frustration (shared by others, I see) over the last month or so is the lag time when you open the app - even when you are just switching to it from another app.  It seems counter to EN's tagline of "remember everything".  I have a thought/idea, want to capture it before I lose it, open EN and then... wait..... for.... it.... to become reponsive.

The thing that strikes me as strange is that even though my settings are such that I would expect EN to be keeping sync'd in the background all the time, it still feels like it's synchronizing something when I open/switch to the app.  (I'm a Premium user)

I want EN to be my first and fast go-to app, and this is definitely discouraging that.

4 hours ago, stephencw said:

My primary frustration (shared by others, I see) over the last month or so is the lag time when you open the app - even when you are just switching to it from another app.  It seems counter to EN's tagline of "remember everything".  I have a thought/idea, want to capture it before I lose it, open EN and then... wait..... for.... it.... to become reponsive.

The thing that strikes me as strange is that even though my settings are such that I would expect EN to be keeping sync'd in the background all the time, it still feels like it's synchronizing something when I open/switch to the app.  (I'm a Premium user)

I want EN to be my first and fast go-to app, and this is definitely discouraging that.

Yep.  I'm over 2 weeks in with offline syncing and it's still not done.  I don't have that many notes.  Not like some folks.

After years of evangelizing for Evernote this app has me looking for alternatives. I have to admit I'm not finding any that have all of the features I've come to depend on and it's killing me. I don't mind the price increase -- I use EN so much that it's worth it to me to pay -- but this app is so unreliable and slow that I can't count on it to work when I need it. I use Evernote when I'm running events. I can't wait 30 seconds for it to respond and then another 30 while I hunt for the note I need because it reset me to the home screen. The old app worked, why mess with it? 

It's been a month since the last update, can you at least fix the glitches for your loyal paying customers?

i hate to be this guy. I know you're working hard and that you have to make a profit. You provide a product I use the hell out of and I appreciate that. But that also means you've got me kind of trapped. I'm basically paperless now and it's all tied up in Evernote. The apps need to work or I can't. It's what we're paying for, and you're raising the rates. 

Any update to having reminders group by notebooks?  I have several notebooks such as Errands, Phone Calls and Computer.  It would nice to see my reminders on my iPhone grouped in notebooks.  Just like windows and I think it was a feature in the previous versions. Thank you.

• Level 5*
On 3/21/2017 at 8:50 AM, rca20 said:

Any update to having reminders group by notebooks?  I have several notebooks such as Errands, Phone Calls and Computer.  It would nice to see my reminders on my iPhone grouped in notebooks.  Just like windows and I think it was a feature in the previous versions. Thank you.

You can do that with v8.1.  Select the notebook of choice and then press the reminder icon to the right of the search box.  This will display your reminders in that notebook.  FYI, the reminders aren't in date sequence, something I hope gets fixed at some point..

On 15-3-2017 at 3:55 PM, stephencw said:

I removed and reinstalled Evernote on my ipad air, and speed is much better now, almost normal.

I feel like Evernote's response to literally every support request is "delete and reinstall the app," which apart from seeming silly I hate doing because it takes FOREVER for all my notes to re-download (to the notebooks I've selected as offline). But I saw someone here said they had success with it solving the lag problem so I tried it, and I have to admit it worked! On both my iPad and my iPhone. The download even seemed faster (maybe I was just on better wifi this time).

I'm getting used to the new app, I have to admit, and making the shortcuts screen work for me. I still prefer the old home screen, but with the lag gone I can deal.

Ok let me update my situation with 4th gen iPad. I had already done the reinstall two times with version 8.0.x and 8.1, until I opened a case in EN support. They suggested reinstall (surprisingly). Well, I did that once again, because I hadn't rebooted the iPad after deleting Evernote (and that step was listed in the email from support). So I deleted Evernote, rebooted iPad (shutdown + start), and reinstalled Evernote (still 8.1). And I didn't select any notebooks for offline use yet (if that matters). And guess what? Now Evernote is much more responsive than ever during version 8.x.

So does it require three reinstalls, or does it require rebooting iPad before installing Evernote again? I don't know, but situation is pretty good now.

Evernote still occasionally crashes right away when starting it (it crashes two times and then resets the note view and asks if I want to send the error report), there are some issues in note list scrolling, and editing note is still laggy (a pause every few seconds). Those are the main problems in my Evernote right now.

Markku

21 hours ago, righteousdork said:

Are you saying delete, reinstall, and turn off offline notebooks or turn it on?

Deleting the app deletes your settings and data, so you'll have to restore your offline notebooks if you want to. For me, this takes a long time because I have a lot of notes and a lot of them have attachments/documents. So it's a pain. But I have found so far (it's only been a couple of days) that the lag on startup is gone. 

On 3/24/2017 at 2:22 PM, markkul said:

So does it require three reinstalls, or does it require rebooting iPad before installing Evernote again? I don't know, but situation is pretty good now.

Evernote still occasionally crashes right away when starting it (it crashes two times and then resets the note view and asks if I want to send the error report), there are some issues in note list scrolling, and editing note is still laggy (a pause every few seconds). Those are the main problems in my Evernote right now.

Markku

I'm not sure what's more disturbing:

• the fact it took three installs and/or a total reboot to get it functioning; or
  • the definition of "pretty good now" includes repeated crashes, error report popups, list scrolling, and laggy note edits. 

I've been apologizing to clients right and left for bringing them into EN while advising they no longer update the app without checking for problems in the forums first. No app (nor any consultant) should have to experience this. 

Still can't fathom how this has remained under the radar with tech bloggers and publications....

I'd like to suggest making it easier to search by tags regardless of the notebook you're in. In v8.x if you want to see all tags you have to tap on the notebook icon at the bottom, remember to select "All Notebooks," swipe down to reveal the search-by-tag icon, and only then can you see a list of tags. The prior version of Evernote allowed you to search all tags with one tap on the "tags" icon on late, lamented homescreen. It was far easier to access and search by tags in the prior version. I think this is another instance where Evernote's effort to simplify and streamline has actually added a layer of frustrating complexity.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

The prior version of Evernote allowed you to search all tags with one tap on the "tags" icon on late, lamented homescreen. It was far easier to access and search by tags in the prior version.

The previous version did not allow selection of multiple tags for searching

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The previous version did not allow selection of multiple tags for searching

I realize that. What I was getting at was that in the old version you could SEE all tags by going to the tags view, without having to remember to switch to the "all notebooks" view like you do now. When I tried to find a tag today I couldn't access ANY of them because I was in a notebook in which none of the notes were tagged. I couldn't remember that I needed to switch notebooks, and frankly in the middle of a meeting I don't have time to think about and fiddle with an app. My point is that ACCESSING all tags was easier in the prior version. For me (and I acknowledge your mileage may vary, so please don't take this as provocation to argue) it is far less important to be able to select multiple tags in the mobile version (I've never once needed to do so on a mobile device) than it is to simply be able to access the tags. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but this thread was created to solicit user input. I'm a user, and this is my input.

I hope the lag when the app opens up is fixed soon. I had an interview last week and somebody asked me about a PCI document, I opened Evernote and sat there like a dork tapping Inbox so I could switch to my Cabinet notebook and it took several seconds to respond.

Version 8 has been a performance nightmare for many. 

Slow, laggy, gets hung up. 

Support has no fixes. 

Deleted and reinstalled to no avail. 

When will Evernote acknowledge many power users running into this issue? 

Any updates???? 

Sorry to say that ... I've been waiting for a fix to V8 user interface on IOS. Current functions are really not satisfactory to me. How can I switch back to V7 .... it was great! In the mean time I want my money back  for the period EVENOTE has been significantly below expectations.

Ran into a bug, one of my older notes that was a PDF attachment for a recipe had it's contents completely replaced with something I clipped from Amazon. Two different notebooks two different notes. It was fine yesterday but I was going to make meal and saw that the PDF file was gone and replaced with something else.

Why is Evernote for iOS slow to start up? It did not used to be prior to version 8, 8.1 etc. Specifically, the time between tapping the Evernote icon in iOS, selecting a note and then being able to edit that note. It takes around 10 seconds for the note to allow edits etc from the time you select the note.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, treaders said:

Why is Evernote for iOS slow to start up? It did not used to be prior to version 8, 8.1 etc. Specifically, the time between tapping the Evernote icon in iOS, selecting a note and then being able to edit that note. It takes around 10 seconds for the note to allow edits etc from the time you select the note.

Good question.  EN responded in a different thread that they are working on the speed issues introduced with version 8.  Supposed to be addressed in the next release, but no idea when that is scheduled.

22 hours ago, csihilling said:

Good question.  EN responded in a different thread that they are working on the speed issues introduced with version 8.  Supposed to be addressed in the next release, but no idea when that is scheduled.

8.2 available in app store here. Am I feeling lucky enough?

Markku

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, markkul said:

8.2 available in app store here. Am I feeling lucky enough?

Markku

What the hey!  Just don't think about the Dirty Harry movie.  ?

On 4/9/2017 at 4:27 AM, treaders said:

I am using the newest 8.2.2 and it is A LOT better than the first 8.0 :) 

But the start time is often still very slow. Even if it is already "running" (iOS never kills the apps) and I then switch to it. I then only see a blank white screen with a grey bar at the bottom. See attached picture After 3-7 seconds it then changes to show the notes.

If I use it often, then it does not happen. But if I use it like an hour later, it happens again.

I guess it is syncing the newest notes while doing this. But I would love it to show the notes that are already there and let me open and look at them. And evernote could then sync in the background. I know that it is difficult to handle notes that I would open while it was syncing - especially if that specific note then has to be updated. But in that case it could either just refresh the screen or tell me that it needs to close and reopen the note. 

Any thoughts or ideas how to speed it up ?

evernote-grey.png

On 6/14/2017 at 10:56 AM, Christian Jacobsen said:

I am using the newest 8.2.2 and it is A LOT better than the first 8.0 :) 

But the start time is often still very slow. Even if it is already "running" (iOS never kills the apps) and I then switch to it. I then only see a blank white screen with a grey bar at the bottom. See attached picture After 3-7 seconds it then changes to show the notes.

If I use it often, then it does not happen. But if I use it like an hour later, it happens again.

I guess it is syncing the newest notes while doing this. But I would love it to show the notes that are already there and let me open and look at them. And evernote could then sync in the background. I know that it is difficult to handle notes that I would open while it was syncing - especially if that specific note then has to be updated. But in that case it could either just refresh the screen or tell me that it needs to close and reopen the note. 

Any thoughts or ideas how to speed it up ?

HI, I updated to the new version 8.3 yesterday even if there was no mentioning of any speed fixes. 

Then I opened some notes and it all looked fine. I left evernote with a note open.

This morning I wanted to look up something in evernote, so I start it ... Surprised I immediately see the note I left it in yesterday (no grey screeen or delay). And I can immediately scroll around in the note... or go back to the list of notes.

WOW... The problem is fixed ... :D I am soooo Happy :D 

Thanks a lot Evernote, now Evernote again is my favorite app :D

Can anyone confirm this ?

Archived