Evernote v8.1 for iOS Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We continue to fix bugs and top crashers. This version also re-adds 3D Touch Peek and Pop actions on note lists as well as some additional improvements.

New:

• Peek into notes from the note list using 3D Touch
    • Press on a note to Peek into a note without marking it as recently viewed
    • Swipe up to expose more options:
      • Set Reminders / Clear Reminders / Mark Reminders as complete
      • Add to / Remove from Shortcuts
      • Share (this opens the share sheet)
    • Press a little harder to Pop into the note editor (in view mode)
    • This works on 3D Touch-enabled devices (iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus)
  • Improved Reminders swipe actions in the note list
    • For notes without reminders, tapping the swipe action Reminder button adds a reminder and prompts for date
    • For notes with reminders, tapping the swipe action Reminder button gives more options to add/change/remove date, mark as done, or clear reminder

Fixed:

• Reduction/elimination of App Store sign-in prompt
  • Adding tags to Business notes via autocomplete will now search all Business tags
  • Saved searches created before v8 can be added to shortcuts
  • Filter by tags in joined notebooks
  • Cancel button on verify email screen closes the screen
  • Sync improvements
  • More reliable offline notebook downloading
  • More reliable sending contact info after scanning a business card
  • Fixed crash when canceling from Print screen
  • Fixed crash when opening attachments in other apps
  • Many other bug and crash fixes

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

• Level 5*

Still broken: 

Still Missing

• Alpha/Date sidebar on Note List and Tag Picker List (Search)
  • Notelist: Card View
  • Tag Edit in Tag Management
  • Reminders Manual Order
  • Reminders grouped by notebook
  • Shortcuts Manual Order

I still get the lag when I first open the app and it takes several seconds to do anything.

I am not a power user so if the initial lag gets fixed I would probably not notice as many issues.

I am a "I have that somewhere one sec" user so it really diminishes my opinion of the app that the slowness is from trying to access information once you open the app.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, iantguy said:

Need 'undo last action' button in keyboard

Not specific to v8.1

Shaking the device is an IOS standard (it just seems wrong)
There's also an undo button on the numeric keyboard

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

Still not seeing all of my shortcuts. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Some ideas

1. Are the missing entries shortcuts to saved searches?

2. Can you still see the saved searches?

3 Can you view the shortcuts on any other platform?

Is there any acknowledgement at all of the slowness of this version? I used to use Evernote constantly, I've hugely reduced my usage since this version appeared.

This version: 

• takes 20+ seconds to open cold start
  • takes 5+ seconds to get back to a responsive app if I switch apps
  • randomly crashes, often taking content down with it, so I am forever switching between the list view and the note view to force it to save
  • camera doesn't allow saving sometimes
  • interface issues whereby it LOOKS like it loaded, so I start tapping, but hasn't, it's just showing what it last did
  • I don't even remember what else - it just doesn't work well

If I wasn't a long-time user and having paid, keep 1000s of notes in my account, I'd have given up by now. As it is I'm just investigating other options, but first choice would really be some feedback from EN that they are aware of the v8 iOS issues and are addressing them.

9 hours ago, DTLow said:

Some ideas

1. Are the missing entries shortcuts to saved searches?

2. Can you still see the saved searches?

3 Can you view the shortcuts on any other platform?

Sorry I didn't give detail.  I was on my phone at the time.
I have 6 saved searches that are also shortcuts.
Only 2 of my recently created saved searches/shortcuts were showing up.
The other 4 weren't showing up as Shortcuts OR Saved Searches.  They were simply gone.
Everything works fine in the Windows and Mac clients.  It's an iOS-only issue.

I was able to resolve the issue (via the Windows client) by:

1. Removing all of the shortcuts that are saved searches.
  2. Recreated all of the saved searches while deleting the originals.
  3. Added them back as shortcuts.

Everything is now showing up in Saved Searches and Shortcuts within the app.

Feature Request:
The ability to filter by Tags and Reminders in Search Results.

For example, I used to have one Saved Search for all my Bills.  I would then filter by Reminder to see the ones that are still unpaid.  I get around this now by using two different saved searches.

This is normal behavior in the other clients, so I don't think I'm requesting anything strange like asking you to add a widget that feeds my dog.  If I open a Saved Search in the Windows client that say pulls back all my bills, I can then filter further by individual tags like credit, mortgage, etc.  Would be nice to have here.  You already have the filtering in place within the NoteList and the Notebooks.

IMG_3178.PNG

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, righteousdork said:

Bug (sorry if it's already been reported):

Saved searches return a count of "0 Notes".  I've tried all my searches.

I can confirm this, having the same experience, though in v8.0.1.  I was one of the lucky ones not impacted so much, so have stayed there.  Though I would rather be on v7.  Too much pain to go back.

7 hours ago, Ben P said:

Is there any acknowledgement at all of the slowness of this version? I used to use Evernote constantly, I've hugely reduced my usage since this version appeared.

This version: 

• randomly crashes, often taking content down with it, so I am forever switching between the list view and the note view to force it to save
  • interface issues whereby it LOOKS like it loaded, so I start tapping, but hasn't, it's just showing what it last did

If I wasn't a long-time user and having paid, keep 1000s of notes in my account, I'd have given up by now. As it is I'm just investigating other options, but first choice would really be some feedback from EN that they are aware of the v8 iOS issues and are addressing them.

I concur. Same situation for me!

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Ben P said:

but first choice would really be some feedback from EN that they are aware of the v8 iOS issues and are addressing them.

Would that be like issuing software upgrades and indicating which issues have been fixed

Or how about starting a forum discussion so users can provide feedback

I suppose there could be a standard reply to each post saying: Thankyou for your feedback - we have added it to our followup list

20 minutes ago, richard webb said:

7 hours ago, Ben P said:

This version: 

20 minutes ago, richard webb said:

FOR ME EXACTLY THE SAME evernote 8.1 with IOS 8.2.1 on a iphone 6 is everytime slow, freezing, totally unworkable.

I'm a paying customer i went through 8.0.1 8.02 8.03 8.0.4 and now with EN 8.1 and still painfully slow and freezing

When is Evernote going to fix this ?

i'm done with the beta testing testing being a paying customer

In regards to the reported slowness issues.  May I suggest that you do the following 2 things:

1. Allow enough time after upgrading and opening the app for the 1st time post upgrade on your IOS device, for all proper synchronization and possible rebuilds of indexes to occur.

2. Ensure that your IOS device is set to allow both "background app refresh" and specifically background app refresh for "Evernote".  In IOS, Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh.

I had, in an attempt to reduce battery consumption, severely limited the background app refresh on my own IOS devices.  I was experiencing the same slow laginess upon initially opening the app in response to touches and attempt to actually do something.

After I turned on "background app refresh" for Evernote.  This has become a non-issue.

On 2/13/2017 at 4:54 PM, cifip said:

Fixed:

• More reliable offline notebook downloading

This has not been my experience.  Even with background app refresh on, all of my notebooks have a little indicator bar on them that never seems to go anywhere.

I had to turn off downloading notes again.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, righteousdork said:

This has not been my experience.  Even with background app refresh on, all of my notebooks have a little indicator bar on them that never seems to go anywhere.

How long did you give it?
In my experience, the offline downloading has always been very slow, taking days

20 hours ago, DTLow said:

Would that be like issuing software upgrades and indicating which issues have been fixed

Or how about starting a forum discussion so users can provide feedback

I suppose there could be a standard reply to each post saying: Thankyou for your feedback - we have added it to our followup list

As grateful as I am to EN for providing changelogs, right now feature and even bug lists are not as relevant as the overall app performance. App stability and speed are currently cripplingly bad, to the point where I can barely use it well enough to see the changes. Is this being worked on? The reason I ask is that a new version with a major revision bump was just released, and it didn't change the overall app performance, and I can't find any mention of the problem.

If they are aware, and working on a fix, great news! It's frustrating but I can wait, as I have faith in them, having been a paid user for some time. If they are not planning to fix this, then that's bad news! It's even more frustrating, but I'll go through the process of migrating my workflow off. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Ben P said:

Is this being worked on?

Sometimes the release notes indicate work being followed up, and sometimes we get a post from Evernote employees.  I've see nothing on "App stability and speed"
All I can do is keep posting the issues in the release discussion

4 hours ago, righteousdork said:

I wonder if your settings for Account -> Settings -> Synchronize On WiFi Only are set to ON and you are not on WiFi.  This would certainly hamper your IOS devices ability to get fully synced and make those little green "need sync" indicator bars go away.

I would not suggest turning OFF the "Sychronize On WiFi Only" without understanding the potential impact on your wireless data usage and the automatic syncing that will occur on a regular basis that will use your device battery.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Roger Rowles said:

I set a reminder last night for something very important this morning, and never got an alert. Evernote, I run my life on you. Why, Evernote, Whyyyy?!!?!?!?!?!

I've seen other posts about missing reminder emails

I'd check that  IOS is correctly assigning your reminders, but after that I'd suspect the error is elsewhere

Freezes EVERY time on iPhone 6 and takes min 5 seconds to get going every single time. The iPhone 6 is still one of the most advanced handsets on the market and if Evernote is performing this poorly on a 6, I shudder to think what it's like on older devices. Evernote, this is a MAJOR problem and needs to be resolved. I'm a heavy user but I'm having to resort to storing things in Apple Notes when I need quick functionality. What's the point of the app if I can't quickly record thoughts when I have them? 

On 16/02/2017 at 7:39 AM, richard webb said:

Same here.

This is incredibly slow and painful to use these days.  The app seems to be checking something online as it's opening and resuming.  Happens even when flicking between apps.  It hangs while it performs this check.  Performance is dramatically reduced.  Long time user but close to dumping this app.  Too painful.

As a VERY long time Evernote Premium customer/user, and having stuck with EN through thick and thin, I just want to say how BAD this v8 for iOS is.  It is incredibly slow, it frequently screws up the formatting of saved articles, and as I look at my iPad Pro 12.9" screen version of Evernote as I type this on the computer - I can't see the tags anywhere.  I know there is a dropdown list of tags at the top of the snippet column.  But where are the tags shown for each note?  On the Mac and Windows versions, they are shown in the snippet and also at the top of each note.  But on the iOS version - latest update 8.1 - they have disappeared.  At least on my two iPads and two iPhones in the family.

It would also be nice to get back the line separating the header subject title from the rest of the note.

I'm still using EN v5.4.2 on the Mac and am sticking with that one, as it continues to work perfectly.  But this new iOS version is the pits, it really is. I think perhaps Evernote should just bite the bullet and admit that it wasn't ready for release, and revert all customers to v7 for iOS.  We shouldn't have to futz around the various workarounds to downgrade.  v7 was good - the only improvement I would have suggested (and it hasn't been done in v8 either) is to change that stupid little double arrow icon to expand the note to something that those of us with normal size fingers can touch without accidentally touching something else beside it.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, NightStalker said:

But where are the tags shown for each note?  On the Mac and Windows versions, they are shown in the snippet and also at the top of each note.  But on the iOS version - latest update 8.1 - they have disappeared.

We haven't upgraded our work devices yet, but I know there's outstanding work and are we're waiting to see when that gets delivered

From the 8.0 release notes

What's coming soon:
Context and related notes
  • 3D Touch Peek and Pop for note lists
  • Note list scrubber - ability to quickly move through long note lists
  • Enhanced (native) business card notes
  • View tags in note list - formerly on iPad only - we plan to bring the option to iPhone and iPad
  • Reminders enhancements

I agree that it is noticeably slower.

In addition to needing "card view" back, the procedure for creating a new "to do" list now involves three actions where it used to be one.

(Previously, touch the "to do" option, good to go

Now: choose the "list" option, choose "to do" list, then swipe to get rid of the list option)

I've used Evernote for 4 years, but Microsoft OneNote is beckoning

• Level 5*
On 2/16/2017 at 9:41 AM, righteousdork said:

Same experience here as well.  I download one very large notebook but in the past it was usually a 2-3 day effort to complete.  I updated to 8.1 on Monday and the progress indicator is showing maybe 20% complete.

Overall performance is noticeably slower than v7.  Sorry, but from my perspective, v8 did not move the ball forward.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Same experience here as well.  I download one very large notebook but in the past it was usually a 2-3 day effort to complete.  I updated to 8.1 on Monday and the progress indicator is showing maybe 20% complete.

Overall performance is noticeably slower than v7.  Sorry, but from my perspective, v8 did not move the ball forward.

Amen.

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-16 at 11:39 AM, Roger Rowles said:

I set a reminder last night for something very important this morning, and never got an alert. Evernote, I run my life on you. Why, Evernote, Whyyyy?!!?!?!?!?!

Looks like a Its a known problem

Am I the only person surprised none of the tech bloggers or publications have written about this? Given the number of problems and (still failing) revisions between v 8.0 and v 8.1, the silence is almost deafening. 

That's what moved the needle a few years ago, when things were running off the rails in a similar manner....

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PaperQueen said:

Am I the only person surprised none of the tech bloggers or publications have written about this? Given the number of problems and (still failing) revisions between v 8.0 and v 8.1, the silence is almost deafening. 

That's what moved the needle a few years ago, when things were running off the rails in a similar manner....

Not surprised about lack of mention on bugs (it was a .0 version) but I would have thought dropping Presentation Mode would be a big deal. Then again, IOS isn't exactly mainstream

• Level 5

Just came to rant about how horrible this 8.x version of the app is. What the f--- happened to the great 7.x codebase? Did you guys toss the whole thing out the window and have a bunch of 16 year olds rewrite the app using Xamarin or something? WTF is going on at Evernote?? Is there any Quality Control being done at all? Nobody's noticed that it takes 10-20 seconds after launching the app before you can even get it to respond to a tap? Nobody cares about the hundreds of negative reviews on the appstore as well as here on the forums, tons of PAYING users who are crying for EN to stop with all the frivolous features and focus on stability, speed, sync accuracy and usability instead of introducing new user interfaces every 6 months to try to follow whatever the shiny new trend is?

Guys, don't forget the note in Evernote - it's a note taking app so please get your sh-t together and make that the focus again.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Just came to rant about how horrible this 8.x version of the app is. What the f--- happened to the great 7.x codebase?

fwiw  The v7 code still runs.  No one is forced to upgrade to the v8 software.  In fact it's a good idea to wait until the bugs get identified and fixed.  Also, don't upgrade if you don't like the UI or feature changes

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

fwiw  The v7 code still runs.  No one is forced to upgrade to the v8 software.  In fact it's a good idea to wait until the bugs get identified and fixed.  Also, don't upgrade if you don't like the UI or feature changes

I had hoped this "stick with v7" mantra would have faded over time. But it hasn't.

Simply put it's a band-aid on a cut that badly needs stitches. It's a short-term solution to avoid the 8.x bugs. But it does nothing to address the frequently cited functionality removals and variations between version 8 and previous versions. Vendors don't support all previous versions of their product indefinitely. That's an unacceptable support nightmare. They have to coax users to use the latest versions. There are many ways vendors can shepherd their user base to newer versions. The easiest technique for a multi-platform synch-ing product like EN is to put a gate on the synch engine to only accept connections from specific versions. No synch: no multi-platform use. You can cling to V7 and features like Presentation Mode only until V7 is explicitly or implicitly deprecated/obsoleted by EN.

And if you expect a vendor to support all versions indefinitely, you're forcing the vendor to divert resources to support multiple code sets. That ends up diluting the support for the more current versions. The vendor loses and users lose. Nobody runs an enterprise using Windows 98 because there's no support for it. Anyone dependent on V7 features and locked onto that version will lose EN support at some time in the future.

Yes, "no one is forced to upgrade..." -- today. But if you're only planning for today, you're not really planning.

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, iamhondo said:

You can cling to V7 and features like Presentation Mode only until V7 is explicitly or implicitly deprecated/obsoleted by EN.

That's true, but for today v7 works, and there are good reasons for not upgrading to v8.  I'm in no hurry to upgrade my work iPad 

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

DTLow

I have been seeing this exact same response from you to almost everyone here who came complaining about v8. Do you honestly think every software company goes through the same "level" of issues every time they release a new major version? And when I say same level, it is as in as bad as not usable. The app keeps crashing, keeps asking for itunes login, keeps being slow, keeps on changing notes formats, etc. No one expects a new software to be bug free, but we certainly don't expect a software which we pay for to be unusable when it is first released. 

To make my point clear, you're counter argument to complaining paid customers that they shouldn't have upgraded is not correct. We expect much better from Evernote than to release an unusable product, market it as "complete redesign emphasizing speed and simplicity" and then for someone like you to tell us, you should not have upgraded; you should not have trusted the company you pay for $70 a year to make a product that is at least usable. 

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Faisal Malallah said:

Do you honestly think every software company goes through the same "level" of issues every time they release a new major version?

I'm not addressing that issue at all.  You and @luckman212 covered that

My point is how can we, as users, protect themselves from bugs in the code, or removed features.  

The wailing, ranting, gnashing of teeth doesn't solve problems such as continuing to  use Presentation Mode

Perhaps we could switch to PM instead of cluttering this discussion

I'd like to add my voice to those frustrated about the lag and unresponsiveness of the latest update. It takes several seconds upon opening the app for it to respond to input, and I'm experiencing frequent freezes and general lagginess when I try to navigate, as well as creating and editing notes.

In addition to the overall defectiveness, I feel that the effort to create "ease of use" went too far. The app has eliminated some features I found very useful:

1. When using the camera to scan a paper document in the prior version of the app, saving the scan would automatically take me to the scanned note so I could edit the note's name and save it where I want to. Now I have to hunt down the note.

2. The prior version of the app enabled me to view the reminder notes in a single notebook, SORTED BY REMINDER. Now I can only see them sorted by name, date created, or date updated. That's not very useful

3. I added some saved searches to shortcuts in the Windows app, but those shortcuts don't appear in the iOS version. I'm not sure why this is. Why wouldn't these shortcuts be available across all platforms?

I've been a happy user of Evernote since 2012, and an often vocal supporter. That's why I'm so disappointed in this redesign, which is both inexcusably defective (it strikes me as an alpha rather than production version) and has an un-intuitive UI lacking many of the nice features that I liked in the prior version. It's particularly troubling in light of Evernote's recent price hikes. 

I hope Evernote fixes these glaring defects, makes the new UI more usable, and takes steps not to repeat this unfortunate stumble. I can't continue to commit to a subscription if this is the level of quality I can expect going forward.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

3. I added some saved searches to shortcuts in the Windows app, but those shortcuts don't appear in the iOS version. I'm not sure why this is. Why wouldn't these shortcuts be available across all platforms?

I think this was fixed with v8.1.  Reminders are still a problem for sure, nothing said by EN relative to what is going to happen there.

21 hours ago, iamhondo said:

You can cling to V7 and features like Presentation Mode only until V7 is explicitly or implicitly deprecated/obsoleted by EN.

Guess clinging to the boat with no holes in the bottom vs. jumping in the boat with lots of holes appeals to me. Until there's a solid, functional version of EN for iOS, I'm happy with my v7 boat. 

17 hours ago, csihilling said:

I think this was fixed with v8.1.  Reminders are still a problem for sure, nothing said by EN relative to what is going to happen there.

Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately, my short list of complaints only scratches the surface. If anyone from EN is checking this thread, I'd like to add my voice to the growing chorus who feel this new version of the iOS note is a huge miss for the company. It's unacceptably buggy, badly designed, difficult to navigate and in general a pain to use. It needs a major overhaul, not just a few tweaks.

I am upset that release 8.1 deleted the alphabetic index that I searched my 530 notes with many times a day. I use EN for business to store my user/pw for many bank and investment accounts. Please restore the index! The lack of it makes EN exceeding frustrating! I can wait a month, but after that, if the alphabet index is not restored, I'll be moving to another app.

2 hours ago, Ramvet said:

I use EN for business to store my user/pw for many bank and investment accounts..

I do recommend to have a look at 1Password - which is specifically designed to store user/pw info.
I wouldn't trust Evernote for such a use case!

And by the way - 1Password has an alphabetic index too.

28 minutes ago, bambooparadox said:

I do recommend to have a look at 1Password - which is specifically designed to store user/pw info.
I wouldn't trust Evernote for such a use case!

And by the way - 1Password has an alphabetic index too.

+1 for 1Password - been using it for years. User name/pw logins, secure notes, credit cards, etc.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, bambooparadox said:

I do recommend to have a look at 1Password

I highly recommend 1Password.  Been using it for years on my Macs, iPhone, iPads, Windows.  

Every account I have has a unique, complex, password, making it very secure.  1PW makes it a snap to use on the Mac by just pressing a hotkey when I get a login screen.

!PW offers many other features, like securely keeping your credit card info and software licenses.

The highly encrypted 1PW database is sync'd across all my devices using DropBox.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately, my short list of complaints only scratches the surface. If anyone from EN is checking this thread, I'd like to add my voice to the growing chorus who feel this new version of the iOS note is a huge miss for the company. It's unacceptably buggy, badly designed, difficult to navigate and in general a pain to use. It needs a major overhaul, not just a few tweaks.

You are welcome.  I as well would like to see v8 become as productive and effective as v7 was.

2 hours ago, csihilling said:

You are welcome.  I as well would like to see v8 become as productive and effective as v7 was.

Well, I should have separated my thanks to you from my criticism of EN. I really do appreciate your help. EN has a really vibrant forum with some very helpful users.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bill Myers said:

Well, I should have separated my thanks to you from my criticism of EN. I really do appreciate your help. EN has a really vibrant forum with some very helpful users.

No prob. :)

23 hours ago, bambooparadox said:

23 hours ago, KinoAV8R said:

+1 for 1Password - been using it for years. User name/pw logins, secure notes, credit cards, etc.

23 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I highly recommend 1Password.  Been using it for years on my Macs, iPhone, iPads, Windows.  

Ditto to all of the above. Like @JMichaelTX, I've been using it for years, on multiple devices/machines (was one of the early adopters when they first launched). Military grade encryption, easy-peasy UI, and unrivaled customer service. 

Oh yeah. And they test updates to the nth degree before releasing version updates. :D:D:D:D:D

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-20 at 8:39 AM, Ramvet said:

I use EN for business to store my user/pw for many bank and investment accounts.

You started a slew of responses regarding password managers but I think they missed the point of your post

You need quick access to your notes.  

There is some outstanding work to be done, but you might also consider use of the Shortcuts section.  It can be a direct shortcut to a note.  I actually use a shortcut to a tag (Hot Notes).  I apply the tag to notes I use frequently.

btw I use LastPass as a password manager

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm quite happy with the new Evernote client on iOS. At least, starting from version 8.1 its now stable on my devices without any iTunes login prompts. And I like the new interface which makes everything easy to find. Especially filtering based on tags works much nicer now. 

On 2/16/2017 at 0:06 AM, aFassas said:

In regards to the reported slowness issues.  May I suggest that you do the following 2 things:

1. Allow enough time after upgrading and opening the app for the 1st time post upgrade on your IOS device, for all proper synchronization and possible rebuilds of indexes to occur.

2. Ensure that your IOS device is set to allow both "background app refresh" and specifically background app refresh for "Evernote".  In IOS, Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh.

I had, in an attempt to reduce battery consumption, severely limited the background app refresh on my own IOS devices.  I was experiencing the same slow laginess upon initially opening the app in response to touches and attempt to actually do something.

After I turned on "background app refresh" for Evernote.  This has become a non-issue.

While my suggestions will not harm anything and my help, I too am having issues with the IOS Evernote 8.1 on my iPhone 5S running IOS 9.3.5 and iPad Air running IOS 9.3.5.  My issues are related to freezing of the app upon open for anywhere from 5-45 seconds, before it will respond to a touch.  Yes, I have "background refresh" turned on for this app.

If there is a suggestion from the EN people on how to configure or setup a device so that this is not an issue, then point me there.  Otherwise, let's get this fixed.

If it were not for the fact that over half of my use of EN is from my Windows EN application, I would have migrated to a new platform a month ago.

Sign me, "a premium user".

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-22 at 7:52 PM, csihilling said:

I have had the table format disappear from two notes and one would not sync.  Had to fix it on the PC.  Anyone else having a table just turn into text?

Confirmed, just went through my daily journals and got some examples.  Update Date got adjusted too

Edited: Ticket 2026899

Edited: 2017/03/02 Response on ticket

I appreciate you taking the time to work with me as we work through this issue affecting the formatting of some notes in Evernote for iOS.

I was able to replicate the issue you described and have reported the information you provided to our Product Team.

Given the nature of the issue you're encountering, this isn't something I can fix for you directly.

However, we anticipate a fix will be implemented in our next update to the Evernote App.

At this time, I’m going to close your ticket.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed, just went through my daily journals and got some examples.  Update Date got adjusted too

Thanks for confirming.  Did you open a ticket?  I haven't as yet.  

OK, now I can add my vote to fix the slowness.  I thought it was me or my iPad or iPhone, but it is WAY too slow,

please fix

i also wish to lodge a request to change the editing icon tool barto be flexible 

I find the need to click edit menu icon, then click the editing icon I need, then click the menu bar to bring back the text keyboard!!!!

frustrating, time consuming and leads one to do less with text formatting.

if this is this is the wrong place to mention, then pleas cross post

using latest iOS and EN

thanks

Larry

2017FB23 19:45 Sydney Australia

3 hours ago, Larry_C said:

OK, now I can add my vote to fix the slowness.  I thought it was me or my iPad or iPhone, but it is WAY too slow,

please fix

i also wish to lodge a request to change the editing icon tool barto be flexible 

I find the need to click edit menu icon, then click the editing icon I need, then click the menu bar to bring back the text keyboard!!!!

frustrating, time consuming and leads one to do less with text formatting.

if this is this is the wrong place to mention, then pleas cross post

using latest iOS and EN

thanks

Larry

2017FB23 19:45 Sydney Australia

I full agree - pls fix the edit

menu icon to bring back bullet points and indent

No, I still regularly (but not 100% consistently) get the prompt.

It's become less of an annoyance after I saw the post that said you can just cancel the login prompt. IOW, you don't need to type your password.

Aside: It's very suspicious that EN is trying to connect to your Apple Store account as of 8.x. You can take advantage of the app's long response time to ponder the possibilities.

Joe

13 hours ago, csihilling said:

Thanks for confirming.  Did you open a ticket?  I haven't as yet.  

I've noticed the formatting on several notes just disappear.
I had a note with separate lines and a note link in it.
It's been turned into a long string of text.

Oh and bonus, I just noticed that it took the tags and added those to my note as text.
I went back to Note History and was able to pull an older version.
Including a before and after.

This is very, VERY, frustrating.  I'm sorry but I purposefully avoid Evernote betas to avoid situations like this.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

This is very, VERY, frustrating.  I'm sorry but I purposefully avoid Evernote betas to avoid situations like this.

This particular issue has been reported, and I'm confident will be addressed in a future release

For me, the important point is to protect yourself from such errors; regardless if they're caused by the gremlins in the software; your device; or the Evernote servers.  
In this case, I was able to quickly restore the corrupted notes from either my personal backups, or EN's Note History feature

Avoiding beta versions is a good plan.  Also delay software upgrades until all the issues are identified.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

For me, the important point is to protect yourself from such errors; regardless if they're caused by the gremlins in the software; your device; or the Evernote servers.  
In this case, I was able to quickly restore the corrupted notes from either my personal backups, or EN's Note History feature

Avoiding beta versions is a good plan.  Also delay software upgrades until all the issues are identified.

I do agree with you in respect to the lack of quality checks by EN.

But EN is absolutely the only software i'm using, where i first have to check if there are any issues with GA-releases before i can install them.
The more time and bugs go bye i do realize that this is not the way i want to go.
It is a shame, that the great concept of EN is built in such a poor quality (both for iOS and Mac).

Sorry EN - if you want to keep your customers you really need to drastically improve your quality - ASAP!

Hi everyone

Can anyone help me solve my problem of occasional inability to serach notes while offline with my ipad Pro 97 inch and I have updated to EN 8.1

Its an erratic behavior that irks me. I have all my notebooks duly marked for offline storage. So logically searching within those notes should be a local device based affair. But unfortunately despite being a paying customer for Premium with a promise for offline access to notes, EN often disappoints

As an additional support to my question, I am attaching screenshots showing the errors and my setting for notebooks. 

IMG_0410.PNG

IMG_0426.PNG

IMG_0428.PNG

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-25 at 4:32 PM, Mdd said:

Can anyone help me solve my problem of occasional inability to serach notes while offline with my ipad Pro 97 inch and I have updated to EN 8.1

I'm getting the same error - Support Ticket #2029137

One thing you might check is that the offline download has completed.  It takes a long time.

You can see the status bars on the Notebook page

edited: 2017/03/03 Response on ticket

While this isn't something I can fix for you directly, I was able to replicate the issue you described and have reported the information you provided to our Product Team.

At this time, I’m going to close your ticket.

However, we anticipate that we will fix this issue in our next updates. If you like, I can tag your account for follow-up and notify you when the issue has been fixed and scheduled for release.

I couldn't find a way to edit Business Card in v8.1.

In the past (as in v7.x), after taking photo of the front of the Business Card.  When you do a save for it to recognised all the info EN can get from the card, I can do an EDIT to add the back of the Business Card by taking another photo.

But I cannot find any way to edit the Business Card anymore.  Is this just me?

4 hours ago, TonyLim said:

I couldn't find a way to edit Business Card in v8.1.

In the past (as in v7.x), after taking photo of the front of the Business Card.  When you do a save for it to recognised all the info EN can get from the card, I can do an EDIT to add the back of the Business Card by taking another photo.

But I cannot find any way to edit the Business Card anymore.  Is this just me?

Nope, same for me.  Occasionally I can edit the title of the note and maybe the fields (but not always - must be the moon or the way I hold my mouth).  WHY would you place a restriction on the modification of the record???????????

OH, BTW, I was told that product management participated in this forum to resolve issues.  Is it my imagination or is there no one here but us users (bar the sticky note at the top of this post from

• Evernote Employee
  • Employee.png.4786ce587aaf5bc2bc8cd765e43
  • Level 5*
50 minutes ago, Larry_C said:

OH, BTW, I was told that product management participated in this forum to resolve issues.  Is it my imagination or is there no one here but us users

These are user discussion forums but we do see Evernote Employees occasionally. 

And this discussion we're posting in was started by an employee to solicit feedback from users on the software release

As for resolving issues, I would contact Evernote Support at Contact Evernote Support  or Twitter @evernotehelps      

17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

These are user discussion forums but we do see Evernote Employees occasionally. 

And this discussion we're posting in was started by an employee to solicit feedback from users on the software release

As for resolving issues, I would contact Evernote Support at Contact Evernote Support  or Twitter @evernotehelps      

Confused.

When posed the following to an Evernote staffer I am personally dealing with 

"Hey I was going to look how to seek a change to the iPad / iPhone versions of Evernote - specifically the moving (or making them movable) of some of the editing options.  Like tab, bullets, numbering etc.  They used to be on the page you were editing and now they are on a menu that requires you to click on the menu, click on the editing icon you want to invoke (say indentation) and then have to select the menu to get back to the page you were editing.  it VERY cumbersome to use quickly and my note taking speed has reduced dramatically.  Can you put the word in? Or point me to where I do?"

The response was -

"For feedback on any version of Evernote (including iPad/iPhone), post your comments in our discussion forums - that's where the product managers go to read feedback."

I guess I could call it a "problem" and send to support.  But it really isn't as it was the way it was re-designed.

Frankly I suspected this forum, especially since the original post was from an employee (are they product management, professionally forum poster, or an intern?) was supposed to be about serious feedback.  Since we don't see product management weighing in, I guess it's just a user forum where we help each other with technical aspects that can be corrected by technic.  IMHO the point I was trying to make was that design change may not have had the widest input of initial or beta feedback, because the iPad workflow design issue again IMHO is a step BACK in design and not a step forward.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Larry_C said:

Confused

Not sure what you're looking for.

Evernote set up these forums to obtain user feedback, and I'm confident they are reading the posts

You also asked about "participation" and "resolving issues"

• Level 5*
On 2/17/2017 at 1:28 PM, s2sailor said:

Just reporting back ... it has been 2 weeks now since I installed v8.1 and offline notebook sync progress is now slightly over 50% ... either offline notebook sync is being seriously throttled or something is broke.  The notebook is probably around 2GB.  I don't need everything on my phone but I have the space and if I just sync all home notes I don't have to think about what is or is not available on my phone, but if EN doesn't improve this then I, unfortunately, may have to rethink this approach.

On 2/28/2017 at 11:03 AM, s2sailor said:

Just reporting back ... it has been 2 weeks now since I installed v8.1 and offline notebook sync progress is now slightly over 50% ... either offline notebook sync is being seriously throttled or something is broke.  The notebook is probably around 2GB.  I don't need everything on my phone but I have the space and if I just sync all home notes I don't have to think about what is or is not available on my phone, but if EN doesn't improve this then I, unfortunately, may have to rethink this approach.

Yep.  I understand it's supposed to take a while, but I have notifications on and app refresh in background turned on and it's been...maybe a week or so.  When I goto the Notebooks screen and just wait there, it looks like maybe something is trying to happen.  I see a spinner in the bar at the top of the phone.

I'm on an iPhone6 and still seeing crashes too.  Honestly, every time I open and resume the app it either hangs for several seconds or boots me back to the home screen.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, righteousdork said:

Yep.  I understand it's supposed to take a while, but I have notifications on and app refresh in background turned on and it's been...maybe a week or so.  When I goto the Notebooks screen and just wait there, it looks like maybe something is trying to happen.  I see a spinner in the bar at the top of the phone.

I'm on an iPhone6 and still seeing crashes too.  Honestly, every time I open and resume the app it either hangs for several seconds or boots me back to the home screen.

Yeah, something definitely amiss.  When I used to use offline notebooks I could download 8GB overnight while sleeping, less than 6 hours anyway.  Haven't seen any responses from EN on this one.  Code or Google?

• Level 5*

Bug report.  I have a saved search which produces 22 notes on my PC and my iPhone and the web, but produces 35 on my iPad.  The form of the search is tag:!get -_completed.  I'm guessing it has something to do with -_Completed.  I will file a bug report.  Anyone else see anything similar?

EDIT:  I did file a bug report and EN is looking at why the difference on the iPad and iPhone.  I fixed the problem by merging each of the problematic notes with a new blank note, and cleaning up the resultant note.  I guess it worked because I ended up with a new note.  Weird.

• Level 5

So I guess we are all just talking to each other here, EN staff has completely removed themselves from the conversation. I suggest closing / locking this thread -- everyone here agrees the 8.x client is a steaming pile of s**t and apparently Evernote does not care at all. They got that VC money flooding in, life is good!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, luckman212 said:

So I guess we are all just talking to each other here, EN staff has completely removed themselves from the conversation. I suggest closing / locking this thread -- everyone here agrees the 8.x client is a steaming pile of s**t and apparently Evernote does not care at all. They got that VC money flooding in, life is good!

This discussion is "owned" by @cifip, an Evernote employee for the purpose of collecting feedback on v8.1

>>the 8.x client is a steaming pile of s**t

And there's some feedback, not too constructive though

>>and apparently Evernote does not care at all.

Other than providing these forums and starting this feedback discussion

My expectation is they are hard at work on the next version and we'll see it released shortly; either 8.2 or a hot patch for 8.1

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Other than providing these forums and starting this feedback discussion

"providing these forums" is not what I am paying for. I am paying for a working, usable application. I would gladly exchange one for the other.

"starting this feedback discussion" is fine but air-dropping some notes from 10,000 feet and then disappearing is NOT a discussion.

My expectation is they are hard at work on the next version and we'll see it released shortly; either 8.2 or a hot patch for 8.1

Well some feedback from the EN staff to confirm that the critical issues being brought up here and elsewhere are being worked on would sure go a long way towards keeping us patiently waiting. So far haven't heard a peep.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Well some feedback from the EN staff to confirm that the critical issues being brought up here and elsewhere are being worked on would sure go a long way towards keeping us patiently waiting. So far haven't heard a peep.

Agreed

The current version of iOS Evernote is unacceptable. Not only is the app frustratingly slow (on an iPad Pro no less!), but the layout is completely ridiculous. Who wants to switch back and forth between business and personal view? And why is work chat now buried? I am extremely disappointed. 

I'm using an iPhone 4S with iOS 9.3.5 and EN 8.1.352228. Not too thrilled with any of the version 8 but there do seem to be small improvements happening. My dissatisfaction continues to be the removal of the alphabetical index bar and the fact that the search function doesn't work, EVER. (Perhaps that's where they get EVERnote from....) At any rate, I would surely love it to have some way to search notes and/or navigate to them more quickly than a manual note-by-note scroll hunt. (Yeah, I've made shortcuts for a couple of my notes, but that's a band-aid.)

EN, why'd you "fix" or "improve" something that didn't need fixing or improved?

Ugh.

Just reiterating that the app is now intolerably slow. I don't really care about bells and whistles. It just needs to WORK every time. I am a physician and I reference this app multiple times a day and it must load faster!

On 3/6/2017 at 9:24 PM, jmarsh said:

Just reiterating that the app is now intolerably slow. I don't really care about bells and whistles. It just needs to WORK every time. I am a physician and I reference this app multiple times a day and it must load faster!

This is IT in a nutshell!  I read the Medium piece from the product designer and even posted it in the forums. The issue with v8 isn't because we hate change. There will always be people who hate the new paint color.  This is about coming home to find that walls have been removed and now your house slants a little making all the doors difficult to open and close. I'm not mad about the paint.

And yes there will always be bugs when you use new software, but this is above and beyond, and I think anyone can see that.

I have to assume they are working hard on a new version, but would it kill someone on that team to take two minutes and say, "Hey folks, we are burning it at both ends to fix x, y, and z. Update imminent."  Just a tiny morsel of transparency.

So update...still slow on iPhone6, if it responds at all. Sometimes it just dumps me out to the home screen. Still waiting for offline notes. Should be done by October at this rate.  I'm starting to think that the offline syncing is impacting the rest of the application. Just a hunch. 

2 hours ago, righteousdork said:

This is IT in a nutshell!  I read the Medium piece from the product designer and even posted it in the forums. The issue with v8 isn't because we hate change. There will always be people who hate the new paint color.  This is about coming home to find that walls have been removed and now your house slants a little making all the doors difficult to open and close. I'm not mad about the paint.

And yes there will always be bugs when you use new software, but this is above and beyond, and I think anyone can see that.

I have to assume they are working hard on a new version, but would it kill someone on that team to take two minutes and say, "Hey folks, we are burning it at both ends to fix x, y, and z. Update imminent."  Just a tiny morsel of transparency.

So update...still slow on iPhone6, if it responds at all. Sometimes it just dumps me out to the home screen. Still waiting for offline notes. Should be done by October at this rate.  I'm starting to think that the offline syncing is impacting the rest of the application. Just a hunch. 

I agree.  Communication is a two way thing.  Evernote product management needs to provide feedback.  If they want, a seperate beta forum.  I was told THIS was the place to lodge feedback (not complaints) and suggestions.  Haven't heard ANYTHING back from Evernote staff.  Nada.  If I'm in the wrong place, then by all means contact me, privately if you need to, to advise the correct place, procedure to seriously assist.

I find the comments concerning speed interesting, because before 8.x Evernote was very slow for me. Now, the app is very fast.

If you want to sign up as a beta tester, see 

3 hours ago, DGW said:

I find the comments concerning speed interesting, because before 8.x Evernote was very slow for me. Now, the app is very fast.

If you want to sign up as a beta tester, see 

thanks.  Already beta testing mac, but have reapplied to IOS & Windows PC as well as apps and 3rd party.  Thanks for the tip.

Some of these remarks are getting overheated. I am sure Evernote cares about customer dissatisfaction with the new version of the iOS app. They've obviously done something about it; the lag is pretty much gone on my iPhone 7 and is significantly better on my iPad.

Nevertheless, Evernote's silence is not a good idea. The app is down to a two-star rating in the iTunes store. The best thing to do in a situation like this is get out in front of it: acknowledge that the company made a misstep and that customers have valid complaints, and explain to customers what is being done about it. You'd be surprised how much that can go towards allaying customers' fears and frustrations.

If anyone from Evernote is reading this, I'd strongly suggest escalating this idea as high as you can within the company. Rather than posting another puff piece in the blog or another rah-rah email, Evernote's communications team should be all over this. They should be communicating with customers via every channel available that Evernote understands the problem and detail the steps being taken to fix it.

1 hour ago, Bill Myers said:

Some of these remarks are getting overheated. I am sure Evernote cares about customer dissatisfaction with the new version of the iOS app. They've obviously done something about it; the lag is pretty much gone on my iPhone 7 and is significantly better on my iPad.

Nevertheless, Evernote's silence is not a good idea. The app is down to a two-star rating in the iTunes store. The best thing to do in a situation like this is get out in front of it: acknowledge that the company made a misstep and that customers have valid complaints, and explain to customers what is being done about it. You'd be surprised how much that can go towards allaying customers' fears and frustrations.

If anyone from Evernote is reading this, I'd strongly suggest escalating this idea as high as you can within the company. Rather than posting another puff piece in the blog or another rah-rah email, Evernote's communications team should be all over this. They should be communicating with customers via every channel available that Evernote understands the problem and detail the steps being taken to fix it.

You took the words out of my mouth. And we can discourage the annoying cheery tweets, too.

This kind of crisis-response feedback blackout from EN is commonly seen with offshore products where English isn't a first/strong language. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. So either EN is reading these intense responses and ignoring them (bad) or they're providing a platform for feedback but not reading it (bad). And the plummeting iTunes rating seems to be equally ignored. It's becoming increasingly hard to trust my data to people with this kind of reckless business practice. If they're fumbling customer communication so bad, what else?

• Level 5*

Bug Report: Picture Not Displayed In Note

I have a complex note and one of the pictures is not displayed; just a big white space

I updated the note, thinking I'd have to restore the picture from my backups.
When I viewed the note on my Mac, the picture was still there - so it's just a display problem

However, I exported the note.  In the export, the picture is missing

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Bug Report: Picture Not Displayed In Note

I have a complex note and one of the pictures is not displayed; just a big white space

I updated the note, thinking I'd have to restore the picture from my backups.
When I viewed the note on my Mac, the picture was still there - so it's just a display problem

However, I exported the note.  In the export, the picture is missing

I've seen this as well.

Archived