Petition for switch back to v7

SWang

Idea

Evernote Team,

Please admit that your v8 is completely failed, see how many negative complaints from the forum and App Store, and it's really not fair to us as of paid users (heavy users), you used to be very reliable, things should be getting better but yours are getting worse!!

Please just give up your v8 and stop fooling around users who paid for your product and service.

I don't personal expect how much you would improve the v8 current version, but I was quite used to the last version of v7, I herelyby sincerely ask you to switch it back to v7, this should be the best solution for your now!

If anyone who has the same idea and supports to my aspect in this forum, and let's countersign the petition asking Evernote Team to switch back to v7, and we are not supposed to be treated like this as we pay for this service!

33 replies to this idea

On 2/16/2017 at 11:40 PM, karahodecker said:

Hi there. Would you mind sharing more specifics about what's not working for you in v8? I understand it's frustrating for you, but I'd like to know more about what you don't like. It's never our intent to make things worse for any user.

I tried the new version and was extremely disappointed. The lack of the home screen greatly decreases the functionality of Evernote on my phone. It also significantly impacts my privacy, as I am often pulling up notes when around other people, whether at a meeting or other function. The screen options on version 8 allowed too much information to be displayed about notes that I was NOT referencing (except the search screen if I cleared all old searches). This is in addition to the increased inefficiency - multiple clicks to get to somewhere when previously there would have been one. I have been a pro user for 3 years now, with almost 10k notes and significant usage. In the past I have referred many people to Evernote. I no longer do this; I do not understand what is the aim of the development team and do not like what I have seen. My family had been using Evernote on ipads but have decreased usage significantly because they find the new interface unwieldy. I reverted back to v7 on my phone and am happy with that, but foresee a time when I cannot continue using the older version. I'm here today checking back in on status of home screen etc, and am exploring other note systems to use instead of Evernote.

On 2/16/2017 at 8:40 PM, karahodecker said:

Hi there. Would you mind sharing more specifics about what's not working for you in v8? I understand it's frustrating for you, but I'd like to know more about what you don't like. It's never our intent to make things worse for any user.

On 2/17/2017 at 5:25 PM, csihilling said:

I think if you scan the IOS forum threads for v8 you will find an abundance of comments re v8 requiring more presses to get the same thing done, lag issues when returning to the app, slower sync times, a preference for starting in the v7 home page with one press options for notebooks and shortcuts and tags versus starting in a note list, missing presentation mode for sure, tag maintenance, more bugs than there used to be....  and this is from memory.  

Primarily though, v8 is a version which was touted as faster and more efficient yet it just isn't, and it has less functionality.  Could be a use case thing I suppose, but I don't think so.  Thanks for asking.

Agree. Further re missing features: the Dev Team continues to remove more features in 8.1.

I have communicated with Support re the particulars, am waiting to see how quickly this is rectified, and won't get into a conversation about it here except to say this is enough to have broken my trust in EN, am exploring alternatives, and will move on if this is not quickly fixed.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, humanengr said:

continues to remove more features in 8.1.

What additional features were removed???
My expectation is that with the new releases, we'll see the v8 outstanding work completed and we'll see the restoration of some features

I’ll say this: It’s not available on MacOS. Apparently to cohere the platforms, they removed the feature on iOS rather than make it available on all platforms. I relied on it and can't wait for restoration. Beyond that the particulars don’t matter here.

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Which feature was this?  
I hope removing features to "cohere the platforms" isn't a plan.  Our desktop platforms are really going to suffer

Agree. As a matter of general principle, feature loss for whatever reason is not a plan -- particularly for a tool that is a core element of user workflow. Features should not be removed but rather added at least as (and preferentially as user-configurable) options on all platforms.

In a broader sense,

On 2/17/2017 at 5:25 PM, csihilling said:

requiring more presses to get the same thing done

is a feature reduction as it makes the app substantially less usable. I raised the issue for user-configurability of the formatting bar with Support and that was passed to the Dev team. Perhaps the same could be done for other contexts, e.g., the home page as well.

On 2/18/2017 at 11:14 AM, csihilling said:

AYeah, long time user as well.  My phone works better than my iPad, but still both will take a moment when I start the app or when I switch back and forth with another app.  And sometimes just stops for a bit mid process.  Some of the slowness from versions pre v7 has returned I am afraid.  I hope then get it sorted.  Some of the lags are long enough to forget what I was going to do in the first place.  :wacko:

The other issue for me is the work flow slowness of having more presses to do the same thing.  I have a saved search for today's tasks and it appeared on the home screen of v7, so one press and I was there.  Now it is shortcuts and then the search.  No frequently used tags at all.  Simple, but still a functional downgrade.  

Yeah I get that. I've been using shortcuts heavily and that has really helped save time and is better for me.  Not sure why the tags have been hidden and downgraded but I think their trying new things. 

For me the lag time hasn't been issue as of recent update. But can relate that I can be annoying. 

The formatting and new design for me are amazing. The features or lack of features is really my biggest complaint 

Also, removal of this feature was -not- announced in the release, so waiting for 8.1 was not an adequate strategy.

In good news, Support filed a 'formal' request with Dev; some changes are in process there, one consequence of which might be more thorough release notes.

Very disappointed in the new version. I'm in sales and I always use the map function to easily return to notes based on the location. I'll be cancelling my subscription and I'm sure quite a few people I work with will be doing the same.  Please bring back the map function (where I can locate a note based on where it was created). Otherwise I'll be forced to use another product. 

• Level 5*

Yeah, and it's not just EN with the new UI disease. My bank just changed and lo and behold, it looks pretty but it takes longer to get anything done.  More scrolling and clicking.  Parallel experience.  

On 2/16/2017 at 11:40 PM, karahodecker said:

Hi. I'm not sure in what version this changed, but what frustrates me is the search function. Instead of the results being notes that match, I get a commentary on how many notes were found in which notebooks. Now I have to click again. And when a list does appear, the one with the exact match is NOT on top. Very frustrating. I want to revert to whatever version prior to this change.

Signing the petition. Reasons:

• I've been using Evernote since before there was a web version and, frankly, it hasn't improved - each release seems to get worse 
  • I'm fed up of having my workflow disrupted by rubbish changes that are ruining the front-end just because of some fad in the UX world That seems to want everything to look like a child's app - This release is anti-UX just look at the number of people's workflow you have broken!
  • All the things in the list in your release notes that aren't being moved to v8 
  • Your assumption that everyone who has a Mac carries it round with them and that this means you can downgrade the functionality in the mobile apps - total groupthink.
  • Tags list crippled
  • Lessons not learned from the disastrous web "upgrade"
On 2/18/2017 at 10:54 AM, SWang said:

do list), all I want is that I can sort and see my notes by Upcoming & Due in each Notebook

Hi there - wanted to circle back with you on your feedback here. We are planning to add this functionality; so when you tap the reminder icon (top of each note list), not only do we filter down to show only reminders, but also sort by date, like we do in the All Reminders view. Thanks for being patient with us -- we're fixing lots of bugs, especially with performance right now -- so those have been the biggest priorities. Look for an update soon!

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, karahodecker said:

Hi there - wanted to circle back with you on your feedback here. We are planning to add this functionality; so when you tap the reminder icon (top of each note list), not only do we filter down to show only reminders, but also sort by date, like we do in the All Reminders view. Thanks for being patient with us -- we're fixing lots of bugs, especially with performance right now -- so those have been the biggest priorities. Look for an update soon!

Any chance of providing the same sort capability for reminder searches?  I thought it was available in V7.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, karahodecker said:

Thanks for being patient with us -- we're fixing lots of bugs,

I have great patience waiting for bug fixes.  Please do continue to make this your top priority.

So many users today seem to expect monthly, even weekly updates to apps.  Instant gratification seems to be the rule of the day.
IMO, we all, including you developers, would greatly benefit by delaying release of app updates until they are ready, until you have had ample time to conduct extensive QA testing.

Stability is a feature.

On 2/15/2017 at 11:39 AM, jacquesfrancis said:

It's too late for me. I've transferred all my notes into OneNote and uninstalled Evernote from all my devices. MS publish a utility to make the transfer easy. It's going to take a lot of effort to learn the new product, but this time I hope to find that I'm not having the rug pulled from under my feet every few months by Evernote changes which make it useless until you've dropped the work you were doing in order to learn how to find things which the day before came instantly to hand, wasting time and effort and distracting you from the task in hand. It's difficult to think of a worse sin in productivity software. They urgently need some management changes. Good luck with it!

I love OneNote and use it constantly for work. One issue is it doesn't support a complex tagging system like Evernote used to. With version 8 of the iOS app, Evernote eliminated the differentiating feature.  

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, It's me, why do you want said:

support a complex tagging system like Evernote used to. With version 8 of the iOS app, Evernote eliminated the

Why do you say the "complex tagging system" was eliminated in v8

On February 16, 2017 at 11:40 PM, karahodecker said:

The loss of the note cards is huge.  With the two columns of note cards, it was easy to quickly scroll through my notes to find what I wanted.  This new layout is AWFUL!  The screen is hogged up by just a few notes.  I would like to have the ability to scan by note cards again; it's much quicker and easier on the eyes, too, than this new layout.

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-18 at 6:10 AM, OMNIZEN said:

I can appreciate not everyone likes the new changes. However, I love and have been using this Evernote more that ever. I have to say it's my favorite version of Evernote. I've been getting a lot more done, using my notes heavily and been able to grow personally because of using the content and information I store in the new Evernote. Consider giving it another try. 

Nice

On 2017-02-18 at 6:10 AM, OMNIZEN said:

I can appreciate not everyone likes the new changes. However, I love and have been using this Evernote more that ever. I have to say it's my favorite version of Evernote. I've been getting a lot more done, using my notes heavily and been able to grow personally because of using the content and information I store in the new Evernote. Consider giving it another try. 

Nice to see a positive post.  

Can't say I love the new UI, but I'll get used to it.  I'm seeing the same design on various platforms now

Every version has user's posting that they liked the old version better.  They usually get over it

On 2/17/2017 at 0:40 PM, karahodecker said:

Hello, it's nice to have someone who's from the time, and thank you for your time and patience listening to us! I believe that most of the users here have described all the details why we are frustrated with your v8, my main concern is just a very essential function from all versions of EN, which is the Sorting Method in the Note List Option, please get "Due & Upcoming" function back as usual, because I am a heavy user for EN as I always use it for task management (todo list), all I want is that I can sort and see my notes by Upcoming & Due in each Notebook, well, I know that you changed the function to a section called Reminders, but that's just for All Notes not for each individual Notebook, thank you! Cheers!

• Level 5*
On 2/18/2017 at 8:51 AM, OMNIZEN said:

Initially yes. But being a long time user and having my life in Evernote I just had to let them work out kinks. Try uninstalling and reninstalling. What also may help is to dl folders for offline use 

Yeah, long time user as well.  My phone works better than my iPad, but still both will take a moment when I start the app or when I switch back and forth with another app.  And sometimes just stops for a bit mid process.  Some of the slowness from versions pre v7 has returned I am afraid.  I hope they get it sorted.  Some of the lags are long enough to forget what I was going to do in the first place.  :wacko:

The other issue for me is the work flow slowness of having more presses to do the same thing.  I have a saved search for today's tasks and it appeared on the home screen of v7, so one press and I was there.  Now it is shortcuts and then the search.  No frequently used tags at all.  Simple, but still a functional downgrade.  

23 minutes ago, csihilling said:

It hasn't been slower and laggy for you?

Initially yes. But being a long time user and having my life in Evernote I just had to let them work out kinks. Try uninstalling and reninstalling. What also may help is to dl folders for offline use 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, OMNIZEN said:

It hasn't been slower and laggy for you?

On 2/11/2017 at 2:33 AM, SWang said:

Evernote Team,

Please admit that your v8 is completely failed, see how many negative complaints from the forum and App Store, and it's really not fair to us as of paid users (heavy users), you used to be very reliable, things should be getting better but yours are getting worse!!

Please just give up your v8 and stop fooling around users who paid for your product and service.

I don't personal expect how much you would improve the v8 current version, but I was quite used to the last version of v7, I herelyby sincerely ask you to switch it back to v7, this should be the best solution for your now!

If anyone who has the same idea and supports to my aspect in this forum, and let's countersign the petition asking Evernote Team to switch back to v7, and we are not supposed to be treated like this as we pay for this service!

On 2/17/2017 at 4:40 AM, karahodecker said:

The main factors for me were:

• degraded performance after upgrades, for example, screen freezing for 10-20 seconds when swapping apps;
  • location of the cursor to a position away from the last position used within a document when returning from a freeze;
  • incessant changes to user interfaces which remove or relocate commonly used functionality and/or change the look and feel;
  • buggy editor which never seems to improve;
  • lack of a facility to be able to use a different editor.

This brilliant product is being badly let down by constant fiddling with it, and inadequate testing.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, karahodecker said:

I think if you scan the IOS forum threads for v8 you will find an abundance of comments re v8 requiring more presses to get the same thing done, lag issues when returning to the app, slower sync times, a preference for starting in the v7 home page with one press options for notebooks and shortcuts and tags versus starting in a note list, missing presentation mode for sure, tag maintenance, more bugs than there used to be....  and this is from memory.  

Primarily though, v8 is a version which was touted as faster and more efficient yet it just isn't, and it has less functionality.  Could be a use case thing I suppose, but I don't think so.  Thanks for asking.

On 2/10/2017 at 11:33 PM, SWang said:

Evernote Team,

It's too late for me. I've transferred all my notes into OneNote and uninstalled Evernote from all my devices. MS publish a utility to make the transfer easy. It's going to take a lot of effort to learn the new product, but this time I hope to find that I'm not having the rug pulled from under my feet every few months by Evernote changes which make it useless until you've dropped the work you were doing in order to learn how to find things which the day before came instantly to hand, wasting time and effort and distracting you from the task in hand. It's difficult to think of a worse sin in productivity software. They urgently need some management changes. Good luck with it!

On 2/12/2017 at 0:04 AM, prescience said:

Evernote, I have been a paying customers for over 5 years.

Every time you make updates, they add nothing that is actually useful and end up breaking more of the core functionality of the application.

I want evernote to store text without butchering the formatting, I want reliable sync and I want it to be fast.

Every year this app gets worse and worse, I'm done, you guys have ran this application into the ground, I don't know what you're thinking, coming out with a bunch of useless features no one cares about, all people want is a reliable solid note taking app, it's insane to think this app has gone so far backwards while being actively developed, I might just be one user on a forum and you might think I don't add up to anything but I'm telling you, this is how you lose your user base, I'm just one person posting but there are 100 others who are going to uninstall this app without saying a word.

I agree prescience. I use Evernote on Windows desktop and laptop, iPad and iPhone, and it all worked very well until the last release, which has crippled it, but for some time, I've become increasing irritated that every product update brings changes to the interface, making it unfamiliar and laborious to use. This most recent one has turned my familiar world on its head, and I'm now having trouble finding essential things which used to come to hand with no effort, particularly on the iPhone. Using my iPhone, I do a weekly shop for which I've created a shopping list, and as I make my way round the supermarket, I switch between Evernote and the supermarket's scanning app. This used to work very well, but since the last update, I find that when I switch back to to Evernote, I have to wait 15 to 20 seconds before I can use the app again because it freezes, and it sometime relocates to a different part of the list making it necessary scroll around to relocate where I need to be. This has made what is for me a key function completely useless because it slows me down in a process I've put a lot of effort into speeding up and making more efficient. Another irritation is that the editor is weak, never seems to improve, and can't be substituted for a better text editor. As a writer, I work alone. I don't want to 'chat' or 'share' or use other irrelevant gimmicks that get thrust at us. I used to subscribe, and was pleased to do so, but a price hike make me reconsider that and I returned to the free version. Rather than being satisfied with getting a small amount of money from me, they now get nothing.

Too many mis-steps. Basically, I've reached the tipping point, and as I'm an Office 365 subscriber, I'm bailing out and going for OneNote, which I've been avoiding for years. It's a real shame because I've really enjoyed using Evernote for the last five years, but until they get their development and testing under control, they're going to alienate an increasing number of once-loyal users. They've lost sight of the fact that they're producing is a productivity tool, and if it cripples users' existing workflow, or lowers productivity by introducing meretricious changes or bugs, it needs to be replaced. They need to focus on getting the core product stable and reliable and stop fiddling around with gimmicks. No product is indispensable.

Evernote, I have been a paying customers for over 5 years.

Every time you make updates, they add nothing that is actually useful and end up breaking more of the core functionality of the application.

I want evernote to store text without butchering the formatting, I want reliable sync and I want it to be fast.

Every year this app gets worse and worse, I'm done, you guys have ran this application into the ground, I don't know what you're thinking, coming out with a bunch of useless features no one cares about, all people want is a reliable solid note taking app, it's insane to think this app has gone so far backwards while being actively developed, I might just be one user on a forum and you might think I don't add up to anything but I'm telling you, this is how you lose your user base, I'm just one person posting but there are 100 others who are going to uninstall this app without saying a word.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, SWang said:

if we downgrade it by ourselves, it seems that we accept their fault

I'm more interested in being able to access our Notes on our iPads and buying time until the development is completed on v8

Thanks for your idea, DTLow, but I think otherwise, if we downgrade it by ourselves, it seems that we accept their fault, and we try to fix it and resolve it for Evernote, what we need is that Evernote to fix the problem because they charge for their service, they should make the downgrade officially NOT by us!

This is what I thought, too pissed off now...so irresponsible for Evernote!

• Level 5*

On an individual basis, users could downgrade their software to previous versions.
There are posts in the forum outlining various processes
My process uses iTunes on my Mac to downgrade

Archived