Support Multi-Select for Notebook Organization

OlCrazyLegsMcGee

Idea

It would be nice to have the ability to clip articles into multiple notebooks. I often find that I may be bookmarking an article that is about both javascript and web design. I have two separate notebooks for these topics (javascript and web design) and would like for the bookmark to show up in both of them. 

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  You can, if you wish, duplicate notes as much as you like in the main apps;  but duplicating notes is bad management.  What happens if details change and you have five copies of the original information?  Can you be sure you have changed every last copy of the note to bring it up to date?  Better to have only one copy of everything,  and then if details change,  only one update is required.  And the way to show one note in several 'electronic' notebooks is to use tags.  Select all notes in your Javascript notebook and apply the tag "javascript" and move them to a common notebook.  Do the same with your web design notes (use web_design for the tag).  Add the new clip to your database,  and tag it both javascript and web design.  Set up saved searches for "tag:javascript" and "tag:web_design" to recreate virtual copies of your former notebooks.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, OlCrazyLegsMcGee said:

It would be nice to have the ability to clip articles into multiple notebooks. I often find that I may be bookmarking an article that is about both javascript and web design. I have two separate notebooks for these topics (javascript and web design) and would like for the bookmark to show up in both of them. 

Sounds like a good idea, and would solve the problem.  I added my vote

As @gazumped mentioned, Tags are used to indicate multiple categories.

Personally, I have minimal Notebooks and use Tags for organization

Tags have the additional benefit that they can be organized into an unlimited hierarchy

@gazumped you could have the same note owned by separate notebooks so it wouldn't be duplication unless the evernote programming model forces notes to be organized that way, but either way this use case is for articles and bookmarks

@gazumped @DTLow you both make good points about using tags and I do use tags generously. So yeah - perhaps I should do away with my notebooks ... any idea if there's a way to merge existing notebooks?

• Level 5*
On 2/10/2017 at 3:21 PM, OlCrazyLegsMcGee said:

It would be nice to have the ability to clip articles into multiple notebooks. I often find that I may be bookmarking an article that is about both javascript and web design.

I understand your objective -- finding a note that has been categorized two different ways.

However, it is highly unlikely that Evernote would make a change to support this (I'm just guessing), since their basic architecture, from the beginning, has been that a Note can belong to (or be contained by) one, and only one Notebook.  As others have stated, it is poor data management to duplicate Notes.

OTOH, what you are asking for is one of the primary uses of Tags.   The same Tag can be assigned to multiple Notes.
During the web clipper process, you can select multiple tags to assign to the Note, so you could assign tags of "JavaScript" and "Web Design", if you wish, to the Note being created.

Later, you can easily find notes with specific tag(s) by any of the following:

• Use the Tag Filter
  • Use the Search (like "tag:javascript")
  • Click on the Tag in the Left Sidebar panel.

Like many others, I use very few (< 5) Notebooks.  My primary Notebooks are:

• Inbox
  • InWork
  • Active
  • Archive
  • Mobile_Offline

So, I would probably do this in the EN Web Clipper:

• Notebook: InWork
  • Tags: JavaScript, WebDesign, Development

You might find this video (made by Evernote) about Tags helpful:  Organizing with Tags in Evernote: Windows 

Of course, each of us have our own style and preferences, so choose the approach/system that works best for you.  I hope my thoughts have been helpful.

Archived