Why is there a Google Analytics Client ID in my Evernote Registry settings?

• Level 5*

Why is there a key called "GoogleAnalyticsClientID" in my HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Evernote\Evernote registry?

A bit of googling indicates this is used for advertising.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, dconnet said:

It's not used for advertising. It's used for telemetry (what people use, what people don't use, etc)

So..... tracking? There is no opt-in/opt-out? It just tracks what I do? If that is the case, that is odd. Even MS has opt-in for anonymous usage data, and that ID is so specific, it doesn't look too anonymous.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, dconnet said:

It's not used for advertising. It's used for telemetry (what people use, what people don't use, etc)

Can you elaborate? What types of information is the app sending back to Evernote for analysis?

21 hours ago, tavor said:

Can you elaborate? What types of information is the app sending back to Evernote for analysis?

Actions performed - Never data. In some areas, we have A/B tests so which test the user was presented is reported. The metrics are used to improve the app.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, dconnet said:

Actions performed - Never data. In some areas, we have A/B tests so which test the user was presented is reported. The metrics are used to improve the app.

Out of interest what types of actions?  Not trying to take you down any rabbit hole, just interested.  :)

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Out of interest what types of actions?  Not trying to take you down any rabbit hole, just interested.  :)

Stuff like buttons clicked, views shown/hidden, how the note list is viewed - essentially _how_ people are using the app. It also helps prioritize bugs (what do I fix first, FeatureA that 92% of users use or FlashyFeatureB that .01% use).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

Stuff like buttons clicked, views shown/hidden, how the note list is viewed - essentially _how_ people are using the app. It also helps prioritize bugs (what do I fix first, FeatureA that 92% of users use or FlashyFeatureB that .01% use).

Thanks for the feedback.

Archived