Scanner automatic mode help

• Level 5*

EN Android version 7.9.8.2 (latest version as of the date of this post)

The scanner is very flaky in automatic mode when trying to scan receipts. Even against a dark, blank background, it seems to hesitate a lot when trying to identify the edges if the edges aren't perfectly straight and square (e.g., if a long receipt with lots of blank space top and bottom is folded so that you can get a closer pic that shows the text) or if a corner is bent. It hesitates so much that it won't take the pic, even though the scanner has identified the edges of the receipt and the receipt is in focus. Instead, it just gives the unhelpful tip to "Try snapping documents, whiteboards and business cards."

Any tips tips on using automatic mode? I could use manual mode, but then I end up cropping the pics down to eliminate the large amount of background that gets captured in the pics, which is time consuming.

• Level 5*

The basics are good light / contrasting background - and patience,  I think.  When I started using auto mode I was twitching all over the place because the autocrop didn't seem set to the actual boundary of the document and the text didn't look in focus.  I gradually learned to relax and just concentrate on holding the mobile still - the tech takes care of itself and delivers a pretty good result IME.. at least it is searchable.  (It can help to have some wrist support from a book or the edge of a shelf to keep the camera steady)

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

When I started using auto mode I was twitching all over the place because the autocrop didn't seem set to the actual boundary of the document and the text didn't look in focus.  I gradually learned to relax and just concentrate on holding the mobile still - the tech takes care of itself and delivers a pretty good result IME.. at least it is searchable.  (It can help to have some wrist support from a book or the edge of a shelf to keep the camera steady)

Movement is not an issue here as I've got the phone mounted on a tripod.

On a side note, I got so frustrated I checked out Google Play store and found Genius Scan. It blows EN Android's scanner's automatic mode out of the water. The same receipts that EN scanner hesitated endlessly over, Genius Scan very quickly recognized the edges and performed the scan.

But it layers in another app and another step to get the scans into EN.

• Level 5*

I used CamScanner until Evernote got to be pretty good - no reason why you shouldn't use another app.  I don't know Genius Scan,  but CamScanner would process the document page(s),  generate a PDF and 'send it' to Evernote.  It was pretty seamless last time I used it.

It might be worth you raising the issue with Support (direct if you can,  or via Twitter) - some mobile cameras play more nicely with Evernote than others..

Archived