Jump to content
  • 0
Ape

Protected CREATION date or timestamp that can be relied upon legally

Idea

Newbie here, I did try seraching but couldnt find specifics, somany references to adding dates and timestamps, so perhaps Evernote already doers this, could someone please clarify for me.
Or perhaps it's included in the preumium service offering?

 

Does Evernote have a way to include, automatically and without user ability to edit - the ORIGINAL timestamp of when a note was created?
This being able to prove should evidence be required, as to when exactly a ntoe was taken or recorded.  In the case of adding file-notes about incidents and injuries etc - i.e to answer the question "When did you first know about auch and such and what actions did you take" - we use filenotes like this alot at work and I wondered if Evernote could do this already?

Appologies if the info is already here, but as I say I couldnt find a definitive answer to this specific question.  I am considering upgrading, but REALLY want to original voice-note feature, where you got the recording, and the text together, and linked, so you could edit words andlisten back to exactly what you said to correct spelling.  That doesn't exist anymore in that way... ;(

 

Share this post


Link to post

6 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

The capability does not exist to my knowledge.  There is a field Subject, which cannot be modified, that gets populated with create date.  However, it seems to only be updated for notes which were created by sending an email to EN.  So not particularly reliable or complete.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Agree. The creation date field can certainly be edited, at least in the Windows client, if not others. And the subject date field, while not directly edited, is in an ENEX export, so that could be manipulated as well, imported back in, and the original deleted. All of that's tracked in the note history, I suppose, so that may be safe, but it might not be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 minutes ago, jefito said:

And the subject date field, while not directly edited, is in an ENEX export, so that could be manipulated as well, imported back in, and the original deleted.

Huh, good to know, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

ok - thanks for that - so I guess it WOULD be a great feature, and probably really simple for the coders to implement?  And if they really need a commercial incentive to do it - make it a premum option?

Following from that then - I could presumably, if I follow the logic of #csihlling anser (thanks) - I could make the original file-note in an email client, then send it to Evernote.  This would give me an additional step, but presumably - 2 dates in 2 different places that SHOULD correlate - I don't know if the sent date can be faked or edited in Gmail or outlook, - but if is securely fixed, I get my legally reliable note date which can be used as proof?  Plus a backup.  Win win... i think?  And I do get that in software, ANYTHING is ultimately fakeable, but the burden should hopefully be so large (hack into Google's servers!) as to make it acceptible in 99.999% of cases where it might be presented as evidence.

thanks for the help,

Ape

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Ape said:

so I guess it WOULD be a great feature, and probably really simple for the coders to implement?

From a legal perspective, I think there would be a problem with maintaining the integrity of the creation date

On the web platform, Evernote has complete control of the data
The other platforms sync the data between devices and servers
On my Mac, I can go into the database and update data

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 hours ago, Ape said:

ok - thanks for that - so I guess it WOULD be a great feature, and probably really simple for the coders to implement?  And if they really need a commercial incentive to do it - make it a premum option?

Following from that then - I could presumably, if I follow the logic of #csihlling anser (thanks) - I could make the original file-note in an email client, then send it to Evernote.  This would give me an additional step, but presumably - 2 dates in 2 different places that SHOULD correlate - I don't know if the sent date can be faked or edited in Gmail or outlook, - but if is securely fixed, I get my legally reliable note date which can be used as proof?  Plus a backup.  Win win... i think?  And I do get that in software, ANYTHING is ultimately fakeable, but the burden should hopefully be so large (hack into Google's servers!) as to make it acceptible in 99.999% of cases where it might be presented as evidence.

thanks for the help,

Ape

You are welcome.

No clue as to how simple to implement or not.

I don't think the date in the Subject field is related to the mail sent date.  It seems to always be the same as the note Created date.  Can't speak to the legalities of it, but it does take some effort and knowledge to modify the subject field.  And to @jefito's point, if you are a premium subscriber you can retrieve historical versions of the note and prove whether the subject field has been changed (or not).  One risk to this strategy is should EN ever decide to do something with the Subject field.  That would be a fly in the ointment.  Got to use your own risk/reward matrix on that one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×