Audio recordings from older recordings dont play on iphone (or Evernote.com)

As title says, for weeks now been trying to play with old audio recordings, when I click on them it does nothing, on Evernote.com when I click on the .amr file it opens a new window and doesn't play. Thus I am completely unable to play my old audio recordings. Anyone ran into this? And more importantly anyone figure out how to fix this?

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Behappy said:

As title says, for weeks now been trying to play with old audio recordings, when I click on them it does nothing,

I remember AMR but don't know where its supported anymore
I think you need to convert the format to something supported by Apple

This was discussed here  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29233006/is-there-any-way-to-play-amr-files-in-ios-swift

How do I convert the format on the iphone? Also that's a huge pain, can't Evernote somehow change the format of old audio notes so they're playable? I have tons of audio notes and to be unable to play them on my phone is crippling 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Behappy said:

How do I convert the format on the iphone? Also that's a huge pain, can't Evernote somehow change the format of old audio notes so they're playable? I have tons of audio notes and to be unable to play them on my phone is crippling 

There are various apps and online resoures, but you're limited in using a phone

You can post a feature request but I can't see it going anywhere.  I see Evernote's purpose as storing your files, not file format conversion

42 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There are various apps and online resoures, but you're limited in using a phone

You can post a feature request but I can't see it going anywhere.  I see Evernote's purpose as storing your files, not file format conversion

Well why the heck is evernote using AMR file format to save audio files from less than a year ago if ios has supported it since version 4.3?? (which is like 5 years ago)

• Level 5*

It was my understanding that Evernote used the system format of the device it's on to record any audio.  It would make sense if that device is expected to play the content back later.  You may have found a glitch in the system - maybe Evernote's check for the file format is getting bad information from the OS.  Regardless,  the file formats are what they are,   and there are plenty of conversion apps out there.  You also may be able to find an audio app that will play AMR files without conversion.

Evernote isn't going to provide a conversion/ playback option anytime soon,  even if they do consider it - and they'd have to include whatever file formats audio files might come up with in all client OS's,  not just iOS;  so MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, PCM etc. etc...  not a quick coding exercise.

Archived