Evernote Reaches the Cloud: Migration to Google Cloud Platform Complete

benmc

Back in September, we announced that Evernote would be migrating to a modern, cloud infrastructure. We lost no time in getting started. Just one month after the announcement, we were already moving data to the Google Cloud Platform. We’re excited to announce that Evernote has successfully migrated our service to the cloud, and accomplished this with minimal impact on our customers.

Read more in our blog posts and join us on this thread for questions.

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2017/02/08/evernote-reaches-the-cloud

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2017/02/08/part-1-evernote-…oud-platform-gcp/

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2017/02/08/part-2-protectin…ustomer-data-gcp/

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2017/02/08/part-3-evernote-…l-transformation/

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2017/02/08/part-4-planning-…cuting-migration/

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2017/02/08/part-5-conclusion-future/

Note: if you're new to our forums and would like to join the discussion, click "Sign In" at the top right, enter your Evernote account info, select a Display Name and you're all set. Welcome to our community! 

• gbarry pinned this topic
  • Level 5*

Thanks for sharing all the details in your blogs.

Moving to Google Cloud Platform sure looks like a smart move with lot of benefits to both Evernote and your customers.

I noted with interest your discussion about "encryption at rest".  Many of us would very much like it if you would go to the next level and provide us with zero key encryption of our Notes on a per Notebook basis. 

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, rockyhatt said:

This is great about Evernote. But I still would like to be able to share a notes context, not just a link, to another app on my Android phone. 

Now everything should be safe untill I expire. 

I'd like to hear more about this, but not in this discussion.  Can you open a new topic?

Good move doing this.   Recently I noticed that sync is running smoother.  Now hopefully this will give your team the opportunity to be faster with updates and new features for Windows and Android.    

@benmc  How about addressing the problems so many of us are experiencing now - Unable to access via Chrome, incorrect loading via Firefox - (cannot load only notes from selected notebook).  And how about posting a note that is immediately accessible to all users that there's a problem, you're working on it and a fix is expected in  * hours/days. 

I am extremely disappointed and frustrated with the company's poor response to this issue. 

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, George1010108 said:

Can anybody help me? I just can't see all my notes. My account is empty(

Which platform?

The master version of your notes is stored on the Evernote servers and can be viewed on the web platform (www.evernote.com). I would check there to bypass any device problems

The usual cause of an empty account is that you've accidently created a new account; it's easy to do.  Make sure you're using the correct userid

btw  You should have opened a new topic instead of tacking on an existing discussion

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Which platform?

The master version of your notes is stored on the Evernote servers and can be viewed on the web platform (www.evernote.com). I would check there to bypass any device problems

The usual cause of an empty account is that you've accidently created a new account; it's easy to do.  Make sure you're using the correct userid

btw  You should have opened a new topic instead of tacking on an existing discussion

I haven't been able to see my notes from my laptop browser. I freaked out bc all of my work notes are there. I see my notes in the app, but now I cannot even get Evernote to pull up at all. Is there a solution for me to open Evernote and find my notes on desktop version? Thank you! Mary

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, MaryM said:

I haven't been able to see my notes from my laptop browser. I freaked out bc all of my work notes are there. I see my notes in the app, but now I cannot even get Evernote to pull up at all. Is there a solution for me to open Evernote and find my notes on desktop version? Thank you! Mary

I repeat  You should have opened a new topic instead of tacking on an existing discussion

589dfd36e3d11_ScreenShot2017-02-10at9_48_50AM.thumb.png.61240d121a22b4c11d9d41785b4bcc40.png

On 2/9/2017 at 8:07 AM, JMichaelTX said:

I noted with interest your discussion about "encryption at rest".  [ SNIP ]  Many of us would very much like it if you would go to the next level and provide us with zero key encryption of our Notes on a per Notebook basis. 

I'm a bit intrigued by "encryption at rest".  Does this mean that Google, a company which has a pretty relaxed attitude to privacy, is unable to scan our notes for profiling purposes?

I too would like EN to adopt full end to end encryption of notes, possibly on an individual notebook basis or even on an account basis.  That would be a real selling point compared to the competition.  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Gizmo99 said:

I'm a bit intrigued by "encryption at rest".  Does this mean that Google, a company which has a pretty relaxed attitude to privacy, is unable to scan our notes for profiling purposes?

Old news, and there are other discussions expressing the same GooglePhobia
Google Cloud services does not have a "relaxed attitude to privacy"

We've been assured the Evernote data is segregated and is not being scanned

Not to add to the paranoia but you might want to consider who's holding the encryption keys; hint - not Evernote

This is an interesting development for Evernote.  I read (not so long ago) about how Dropbox migrated their data storage out of Amazon into their own data storage that they built from scratch.  Interesting that different companies have moved in opposite directions and both for very good reasons.  I am excited to see what the future holds for Evernote.

Evernote + Google both great companies.  Whilst not a merger, this is a "marriage" made in heaven.

Perhaps we will shortly see some more advances made with the labs apps?  

D. T. Low said:

We've been assured the Evernote data is segregated and is not being scanned

That's good to know

you might want to consider who's holding the encryption keys; hint - not Evernote

I do accept I can use the desktop client to encrypt text in an individual note without EN holding the keys, but who holds the encryption keys to everything else?  I can't see anything in the Blog which says anyone other than Google, although since it is pretty technical I am happy to accept I may be missing something.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Gizmo99 said:

I do accept I can use the desktop client to encrypt text in an individual note without EN holding the keys, but who holds the encryption keys to everything else?

I should have been clearer.  Encryption at rest is a good thing, it's just that Google is holding the encryption key. It's a small point, and I'm still not concerned about privacy.

For data I want secure, I use my own encryption (encrypted PDFs).  Evernote has a text encryption feature, but I don't want to be locked in

I've had issues with duplicated tagging ever since the 8th February and I have an open ticket on the problems, ten days old now. Could my problems be related to moving to the cloud or could you at least look into this aspect as the recent blog about this was dated   08 Feb 2017. Coincidence or not?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Thankful today it wasn't migrated to Amazon AWS.

But, I suppose if someone at Google gets their routing tables scrambled, we'd see the same thing impact Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • gbarry unpinned this topic

Archived