Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.11 Beta 2 Released

Idea

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 2! You can download it here.

In this Beta, we've made changes which we think will improve the workflows the beta community had noted affected them as a result of the work we've done to more clearly separate business and personal content. We embarked on this change because we do not make the separation clear enough today for users, and make it difficult to make the right distinction between where a user's notes will be/should be placed (business notes are owned by the business, and that has a number of implications.) We're keen to understand if these changes improve your workflows, and any suggestions you have for improving these or other tasks across business and personal.

• When switching between business and personal, we'll restore previously opened single note windows
  • Use the keyboard shortcut or new right-click menu option to move notes more quickly across business and personal

589967fd5c445_ScreenShot2017-02-06at9_40_41PM.png.c6fbc7da235bb43c54d091d29daaf0e6.png

• We've made it easier to start a search in your other account by providing a link to searching in that context

58996914ef034_ScreenShot2017-02-06at10_08_24PM.png.cadfe9c7d8b493b64e42e7faa58d480b.png

We're looking forwards to hearing what you think, and if these changes improve your workflows compared to Beta 1 and 6.10.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

Version 6.11 Beta 2 Release Notes

New:

• Support for Tabs on macOS 10.12. Reduce clutter and organize your windows using tabs instead of separate windows. Create a new tab by selecting File > New Tab. This is not supported on older versions of macOS.
  • Business and personal notes are now separated. You only see what you need, when you need it, making it easier to browse and search to find what you need, and create notes in the right place. Just click the user name in the toolbar, if you want to switch to another account.

Improved:

• Single note windows are restored when opening the app or when switching between Business and Personal.
  • More quickly move your notes across Business and Personal by using the Ctrl+Option+⌘+M shortcut or selecting that option directly from the right-click menu.
  • More quickly start searching in Business when in Personal (or vice versa) by using the added entry point in search suggestions.
  • Like 3

96 replies to this idea

UrJac    0

I didn't see it mentioned on this thread, but in another one we were discussing the long-existing issue of Searches not highlighting the search text in found pages (this is only on the Mac version, I think). The workaround offered isn't very practical (go to each found page, hit enter on the search again) so I was hoping this would be fixed in 6.11. On the other thread the moderator said this was fixed in the Beta release, but I just tried and it still doesn't work.  Can one of the moderators here verify that the intention is to have this fixed in 6.11? 

I like Evernote but using it is a struggle, as the only accepted app at work is OneNote (which sucks for Mac users), so I have to get security exception every few months for them to allow it to sync over the network.  Between that hassle and this bug, I'm seriously thinking of jumping to the (inferior, but functional) OneNote option.  Any hope?

JMichaelTX    3,610
23 hours ago, cf77 said:

- I'm assuming the beta keeps a separate copy of my EN database compared to the app store version, correct? Any concerns I should be aware of when having both on my system?

I think you should be very concerned.  How Evernote stores the data for each is subject to change with each new version.  In the past, installing either the App Store or Direct version would convert the database to that needed by the one you are installing.

The biggest concern I would have (but I did NOT upgrade to the Beta) is whether or not the Beta made changes to your data, which in turn have been sync'd (uploaded) to the EN Cloud.  For example, the EN Win 6.5 Beta 2 just released turned all of your Local Notebooks into Sync'd Notebooks, and uploaded them to the EN Cloud.

Barring Local Notebooks, if you have any issues with the Mac Beta, you can always do a clean reinstall of the version you want, and download a fresh copy of your Notes from the EN Cloud.  If you are interested in doing this, See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac .

\/\/alt    0
On 2/9/2017 at 0:53 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

@righteousdork @JMichaelTX @lonewolf I took a look and even in those old posts we weren't sharing the full list of bugs we were fixing. As you can imagine there's alot that can be exposed even in the titles of bugs around our implementations. Let me stew on how to give you all more visibility into some of the fixes we're pulling in on a regular basis - perhaps sharing a subset in every release. Look for an update on this when we release our next Beta. 

Maybe other people aren't experiencing as many issues, but the MULTIPLE SERIOUS BUGS introduced in the last "stable" version have absolutely ruined your app for me.  Very basic text editing functions are now a chore, and I live in constant fear of data loss (just encountered a new bug today – deleting one image from a note deletes every image in that note; have to undo immediately, or they're gone for good).  These bugs have been present for months with no word from Evernote on whether/when they will be fixed.  Many of them are so pervasive that it's hard to imagine how they slipped through basic quality control (no one noticed that when you highlight more than 2-3 characters of text and start typing, the highlighted text isn't overwritten?  Really?  This is a basic core function of literally every text editor I've ever used, and I encounter this bug multiple times a day in the course of ordinary typing/revision of text.) 

Point blank: the current quality of this app is unacceptable, and it's incredibly frustrating to see a list of new features being beta tested, unaccompanied by any information on bugs that have been ruining the user experience for months. This is a serious communication issue on top of what I can only assume is a serious quality control issue.  It would be nice to see some indication that these concerns are being taken seriously.

asnook    7

I'm a heavy user of Hazel and AppleScript to automate filing of PDFs into particular notebooks with tags. The new beta is causing major problems for me when the Business account is active, but the AppleScript is trying to add the PDF to a personal notebook. Are there AppleScript commands to change accounts or specify the account and notebook for note creation? Write now I'm using system events to apply the ⌃⌘1 shortcut for my personal account, but it is hit or (mostly) miss for me because this script runs in the background while I'm using the computer so the shortcut is often applied to the active app I'm using rather than Evernote. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

odysseus    6
39 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This is off-topic and you should be starting your own discussion instead of tacking on to an existing discussion.

In answer to your question: Evernote is not a Word Processing app.
I use EN as a Note app, and by definition my notes are short.  
For more serious work, I use a dedicated word processing app

I consider that to be an obnoxious response. I'm sorry that this was off topic. However, I don't know who defined notes as short by definition. Surely you do not have the authority to do so!

On 2/12/2017 at 9:29 PM, JMichaelTX said:

@Chantal Leonard and @EvernoteAlex:

How many of the 17 new bugs released in EN Mac 6.10 GA have you fixed?

Please make fixing these bugs your top priority for the next production (GA) release, particularly over NEW features.

The New Bugs Released in EN Mac 6.10 GA:

Created:  2016-11-22    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Ray Sidney-Smith

Created:  2016-11-30    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  upnix

Created:  2016-11-08    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  sneaky1

Created:  2016-11-08    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  bambooparadox

Created:  2016-11-06    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  DTLow

Created:  2016-11-06    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  DTLow

Created:  2016-11-05    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  santander

Created:  2016-11-02    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  gadget

Created:  2016-11-01    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  hsverin

Created:  2017-02-10    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Ray Sidney-Smith

Created:  2016-12-21    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  URamsing

Created:  2016-12-20    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  santander

Created:  2016-12-12    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  sail

Created:  2016-12-11    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  dsblox

Created:  2016-11-17    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  ChiragC

Created:  2016-11-16    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Helejo

Created:  2016-11-15    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  GLondon

Added to EN Mac 6.10 Bug (which seems to flow through to 6.11 Beta 2) list: Hanging indent formatting from Microsoft Word and Google Docs (I haven't tested iCloud or desktop Pages app) when pasted into a note, pushes the text at the left margin off-screen by about 25-50px. See https://www.evernote.com/l/AAsY8uuo1VdEdIrD6k0JVI43fladee1AuNg.

I've confirmed this across three devices running three of the latest Mac OS X versions; two running 6.10 public release and one running 6.11 beta 2.

@Chantal Leonard @Jason Miller Thanks for all your efforts!

Amanda H.    0
On 2/9/2017 at 5:10 PM, Jason Miller said:

HI Amanda

Sorry to hear about the crashing and other editor problems.  Looks like 3 issues, Annotate PDFs crashes as some point, problems loading images, and text changing sizes

Do you happen to have more details on what steps it takes to happen and I will forward to our testes and Dev to work on it?  

J

I haven't identified a specific step that I take that triggers the crash, but have noticed that it doesn't happen when viewing my PDFs- only when annotating them. During my typical four hour lecture block there is usually at least 1 crash per hour but doesn't follow a consistent pattern. 

Metrodon    1,873

I'm not sure if this is a mac or iOS issue - but most likely mac.

I have image notes captured on my iPhone (running the latest client) that are then successfully sync'd to my mac. I do some curation at that point, add a title and move to a notebook that I have shared to me. All good.

Noticed yesterday that about half a dozen of these notes were still sitting in my default notebook on iOS and also when I checked on the web.

So, now I can't trust my data - I have the same note existing in different places on different clients and I haven't seen any sync errors. A couple of these notes go back to the beginning of the year.

I've deleted the notes from my default notebook on the web (it's meant to be the source of truth) and now I can either bury my head in the sand or start a very long process of checking the integrity of my data.

I've checked the logs and there is nothing unusual there.

This isn't good Evernote.

DTLow    2,242
10 hours ago, Metrodon said:

move to a notebook that I have shared to me....I've deleted the notes from my default notebook on the web

You should start a new discussion instead of tacking on to an ongoing discussion.  I see this discussion to provide feedback on the release

Does this mean there were two copies of the note?  

• Curated copy in the shared notebook, and the copy in the default notebook
  • Or did your delete also remove the note from the shared notebook

Metrodon    1,873

Why? I'm running the mac beta.

This - 

• Curated copy in the shared notebook, and the copy in the default notebook
  • Like 1

JMichaelTX    3,610
16 hours ago, Metrodon said:

I'm not sure if this is a mac or iOS issue - but most likely mac.

I have image notes captured on my iPhone (running the latest client) that are then successfully sync'd to my mac. I do some curation at that point, add a title and move to a notebook that I have shared to me. All good.

Noticed yesterday that about half a dozen of these notes were still sitting in my default notebook on iOS and also when I checked on the web.

So, now I can't trust my data - I have the same note existing in different places on different clients and I haven't seen any sync errors.

It is issues like this that reaffirm my decision to NOT upgrade to Betas, or even to the latest production version of Evernote on any platform.
Thankfully I'm still on EN Mac 6.9.2  and EN iOS 7.17.  I will stay on both until Evernote has demonstrated that a production version is stable and reliable, and does not break my primary workflows.

For several years now, Evernote updates have become very risky, very unreliable, with many new bugs being introduced with each release.

• Like 1

DTLow    2,242
On 2017-03-19 at 4:31 AM, Metrodon said:

I have the same note existing in different places on different clients and I haven't seen any sync errors. A couple of these notes go back to the beginning of the year.

22 hours ago, Metrodon said:

This - Curated copy in the shared notebook, and the copy in the default notebook

I think the duplicated notes explanation is better than the same note existing in different places
This could be confirmed by generating a note link and seeing if they're the same
Of course this doesn't solve the problem of how the notes got duplicated
- I'd be suspicious of the IOS point of entry

>>Why? I'm running the mac beta.

I see this discussion as relating to feedback on the v6.11 release

Metrodon    1,873

One version of the note has a title, the other doesn't - so they are not exactly the same.

I was going to open a support case but, well you know...send logs...radio silence....etc

kzuk    1
On 2/7/2017 at 3:21 PM, aleonidis said:

Are tabs intended to support multiple accounts only or can they be used to view multiple notes simultaneously?

Yes, is there a way to open not just another list view of notes, but just a note in its own window without the sidebar distractions? It would be ideal, when you open a note to a new tab, that that action does exactly like it does when you open a note to a new window.

Jason Miller    85
On 3/13/2017 at 10:16 AM, Amanda H. said:

I haven't identified a specific step that I take that triggers the crash, but have noticed that it doesn't happen when viewing my PDFs- only when annotating them. During my typical four hour lecture block there is usually at least 1 crash per hour but doesn't follow a consistent pattern. 

Are you still experiencing all 3 problems with the latest beta?   (text resizing, loading images, and crashes)

kempster    1

Wow... I downloaded the new BETA... and it distorted all my TABLES... I've got > 17k notes... WOW!

Far as I could tell, it affected the tables in which I have a color background (which are many). I went to SUPPORT, and was told to leave BETA and download Version 6.10 (454267 Direct) - it fixed my TABLE problem (whew). 

But now, apparently, I've lost TABS. Do TABS only appear in the BETA version?

Did anyone else have trouble with the NEW BETA and tables? I've attached a screenshot to show what happened.

Monday-_Friday_March_2-6__2015_—_Evernote.png

Jason Miller    85
35 minutes ago, kempster said:

Wow... I downloaded the new BETA... and it distorted all my TABLES... I've got > 17k notes... WOW!

Far as I could tell, it affected the tables in which I have a color background (which are many). I went to SUPPORT, and was told to leave BETA and download Version 6.10 (454267 Direct) - it fixed my TABLE problem (whew). 

But now, apparently, I've lost TABS. Do TABS only appear in the BETA version?

Did anyone else have trouble with the NEW BETA and tables? I've attached a screenshot to show what happened.

Monday-_Friday_March_2-6__2015_—_Evernote.png

Hi kempster

Which Beta was this? It was a side effect of an editor bug that has been fixed, however it might require table resizing :-(

J

DTLow    2,242
33 minutes ago, kempster said:

Did anyone else have trouble with the NEW BETA and tables?

I had the same problem with the Beta 3 release, and reported the issue in the Beta 3 release notes
This is a display problem; your data has not been impacted
You can verify this via the web platform (www.evernote.com) or by downgrading to Beta 2

kempster    1

Thanks - As I said, I left the BETA version on my MAC, and downloaded the public version. That fixed my sizing problem with tables.

But, I no longer have access to TABS - which I enjoyed using. Is that a BETA only feature? When will it come to the public version?