Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.11 Beta 2 Released

Idea

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 2! You can download it here.

In this Beta, we've made changes which we think will improve the workflows the beta community had noted affected them as a result of the work we've done to more clearly separate business and personal content. We embarked on this change because we do not make the separation clear enough today for users, and make it difficult to make the right distinction between where a user's notes will be/should be placed (business notes are owned by the business, and that has a number of implications.) We're keen to understand if these changes improve your workflows, and any suggestions you have for improving these or other tasks across business and personal.

• When switching between business and personal, we'll restore previously opened single note windows
  • Use the keyboard shortcut or new right-click menu option to move notes more quickly across business and personal

589967fd5c445_ScreenShot2017-02-06at9_40_41PM.png.c6fbc7da235bb43c54d091d29daaf0e6.png

• We've made it easier to start a search in your other account by providing a link to searching in that context

58996914ef034_ScreenShot2017-02-06at10_08_24PM.png.cadfe9c7d8b493b64e42e7faa58d480b.png

We're looking forwards to hearing what you think, and if these changes improve your workflows compared to Beta 1 and 6.10.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

Version 6.11 Beta 2 Release Notes

New:

• Support for Tabs on macOS 10.12. Reduce clutter and organize your windows using tabs instead of separate windows. Create a new tab by selecting File > New Tab. This is not supported on older versions of macOS.
  • Business and personal notes are now separated. You only see what you need, when you need it, making it easier to browse and search to find what you need, and create notes in the right place. Just click the user name in the toolbar, if you want to switch to another account.

Improved:

• Single note windows are restored when opening the app or when switching between Business and Personal.
  • More quickly move your notes across Business and Personal by using the Ctrl+Option+⌘+M shortcut or selecting that option directly from the right-click menu.
  • More quickly start searching in Business when in Personal (or vice versa) by using the added entry point in search suggestions.
3 people like this

96 replies to this idea

On 2/7/2017 at 1:34 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

we fixed about 5 dozen bugs. As a rule we don't provide full details of fixed issues unless an issue is hitting a large portion of our users, but happy to comment if you want to pass along a specific bug you're curious about. 

In terms of the typical process we follow from a testing standpoint, we have automated as well as manual testing passes we go through. 

@Chantal Leonard and @EvernoteAlex:

How many of the 17 new bugs released in EN Mac 6.10 GA have you fixed?

Please make fixing these bugs your top priority for the next production (GA) release, particularly over NEW features.

The New Bugs Released in EN Mac 6.10 GA:

Created:  2016-11-22    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Ray Sidney-Smith

Created:  2016-11-30    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  upnix

Created:  2016-11-08    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  sneaky1

Created:  2016-11-08    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  bambooparadox

Created:  2016-11-06    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  DTLow

Created:  2016-11-06    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  DTLow

Created:  2016-11-05    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  santander

Created:  2016-11-02    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  gadget

Created:  2016-11-01    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  hsverin

Created:  2017-02-10    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Ray Sidney-Smith

Created:  2016-12-21    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  URamsing

Created:  2016-12-20    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  santander

Created:  2016-12-12    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  sail

Created:  2016-12-11    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  dsblox

Created:  2016-11-17    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  ChiragC

Created:  2016-11-16    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Helejo

Created:  2016-11-15    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  GLondon
3 people like this

13 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Please make fixing these bugs your top priority for the next production (GA) release, particularly over NEW features.

Amen. Across all platforms. I'd rather see a year of bug fixes and not a single new feature than what we have today.

2 people like this

17 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

How many of the 17 new bugs released in EN Mac 6.10 GA have you fixed?

The New Bugs Released in EN Mac 6.10 GA:

Downgrade to EN Mac 6.9.2

Since there are at least 17 material bugs in EN Mac 6.10, and many more new bugs in this BETA version, if you have updated to this version, and it has broke your workflow, then you may want to downgrade to Evernote for Mac 6.9.2 Build 454158 .(Note:  You may need to refresh the above page several times).
See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac .

I don't think there was an official release topic posted in the forum for versions 6.9.1 and 6.9.2 (they were fixes to critical bugs), but for the Release Notes of Ver 6.9, see Evernote for Mac 6.9 Released 

I've been very frustrated by the bug with version 6.10 GA where I annotate a PDF and the cursor will frequently jump to the top of the page as I am highlighting, leaving a mark from wherever I am highlighting up to the top of the page. I updated to this beta version hoping this would be fixed, but it persists, perhaps worse than before. 

Bug Report: Subject Date is erased

I'm updating this field using Applescript, but Evernote is erasing my value
I submitted ticket # 2011712 and it's been addressed to the beta developers
The message from support is

Because you're experiencing this on our Beta app, I escalated it directly to our developers to take a look. Although I don't have an ETA of when this issue will be resolved, I can assure you we're working diligently to fix it.

1 person likes this

@JMichealTX: thanks for listing the 6.10 bugs and pointing out 6.11 is not going to bring any relief in useablility. Just followed your downgrade instructions to 6.9.2 and am sooo relieved: I can do simple cut-and-paste between my notes again! Seems I have to sit out at least 6.10 and 6.11 with 6.9.2 to have a useable app. Pity Evernote is stumbling downhill like this.

1 person likes this

Who knew we had it so good in the 6.9.2 release?

I downgraded. In an old job we had a rule about never making releases on Friday. Evernote may be different, but I don't expect we'll see the next beta until next week.

Fingers crossed for a good beta 3!

4 hours ago, stafmans said:

Seems I have to sit out at least 6.10 and 6.11 with 6.9.2 to have a useable app.

7 minutes ago, upnix said:

Who knew we had it so good in the 6.9.2 release?

I downgraded.

Did you have specific complaints about the 6.11 version?
It's still in beta, and this discussion is our chance to provide feedback

25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Did you have specific complaints about the 6.11 version?
It's still in beta, and this discussion is our chance to provide feedback

What made me downgrade was the ever increasing gaps the editor was putting between my images and the text. I reported this problem further up, and it sounds like it'll be fixed in the next release. It's a lot worse than I first reported. Annotating an image would put a full screen of blank space in between all images and text. So after an hour of taking notes I'd have 20+ screens (like, "page down" sized) of blank spaces in between each image. I was spending more time deleting whitespace than working.

I agree with you on the benefit of providing beta feedback, and I'm still in. Just going to wait until the next beta rather than sit with beta 2.

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, upnix said:

What made me downgrade was the ever increasing gaps the editor was putting between my images and the text. I reported this problem further up, and it sounds like it'll be fixed in the next release. It's a lot worse than I first reported. Annotating an image would put a full screen of blank space in between all images and text. So after an hour of taking notes I'd have 20+ screens (like, "page down" sized) of blank spaces in between each image. I was spending more time deleting whitespace than working.

I agree with you on the benefit of providing beta feedback, and I'm still in. Just going to wait until the next beta rather than sit with beta 2.

This particular issue has been fixed and is currently in test, and is targeted for the next Beta 

2 people like this

On 7-2-2017 at 8:34 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

@JMichaelTX we fixed about 5 dozen bugs. As a rule we don't provide full details of fixed issues unless an issue is hitting a large portion of our users, but happy to comment if you want to pass along a specific bug you're curious about. 

In terms of the typical process we follow from a testing standpoint, we have automated as well as manual testing passes we go through. 

@DTLow: It's ***** answers like these that make it unattractive for me to waste time using the 6.11 beta and have zero trust in the bugs mentioned being solved. The arrogance in it. Like I have to show gratitude about bugs being solved. That it my privilege to waste time finding out bugs still exist or not in each new release. So I respect this JmichealTX who invested his time to list quite some bugs in 6.10 (which should be Evernotes responsibility) just to receive such ***** for an answer. Companies that deal with costumers this way, especially the beta testers, should and will vanish. And that's a pity, cause I like Evernote a lot and it's very usefull for me.

11 minutes ago, stafmans said:

It's ***** answers like these that make it unattractive for me to waste time using the 6.11 beta and have zero trust in the bugs mentioned being solved. The arrogance in it...

It does require a certain frame of mind to be participating in beta testing.  Downgrading seems to be a good solution for you

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

It requires a certain frame of mind to be participating in beta testing.  Downgrading seems to be a good solution for you

I'm not a beta tester, just a user that's looking whether bugs I deal with are getting resolved and which effort is put into this.

Is there demand sync on this beta? I'm hoping there is and I've just missed it. I'm in the middle of a fresh install with a ridiculous first sync session (mostly my fault for having a huge account).

thanks team!

Local notebooks now synching

I'm not sure whether this is an issue with this release, because I don't know when it happened.

My issue is that local notebooks that I created on the client (running beta releases) are now synchronized notebooks showing up in every other client. The formerly local notebooks behave like local notebooks on the original client (can't see the notebook type, but a local script that iterates through each local notebook still picks these up and skips other notebooks). However, the notebooks are identified as synch'd notebooks on every other client.

I've created a ticket, but I wanted to post here to see if it were happening to others. Obviously this is a security issue.

Allen

22 hours ago, dean45927 said:

Confirmed: My new Local Notebooks are also syncing 58a9ccf622ba5_ScreenShot2017-02-19at8_48_37AM.png.046a4da70439b32b894964554136afee.png
I can see the notebook type on the notebook page

I can even add notes on my iPad

edited: I'm not adding to the outrage expressed in other posts.  
I consider the beta version the place to detect such errors

In Sierra, if I open a PDF through Evernote into Preview and highlight or annotate it, Preview forces a copy to be made of the PDF because the Evernote-version is uneditable. Apparently this was meant to be fixed in Beta 2? The problem is persisting, and it has really stalled my work. I need to highlight PDFs in Preview, urgently.

3 minutes ago, caledavis said:

The problem is persisting, and it has really stalled my work. I need to highlight PDFs in Preview, urgently.

A known issue, but why is it stalling your work
Two work arounds;

1. Allow Preview to create the pdf copy and manually update your note
  2. Look at creating an Automator script (I'll follow up on this when I get time)

Can anyone offer any indication of when this known issue will be fixed?

1 hour ago, dean45927 said:

I'm not sure whether this is an issue with this release, because I don't know when it happened.

My issue is that local notebooks that I created on the client (running beta releases) are now synchronized notebooks showing up in every other client.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed: My new Local Notebooks are also syncing 

This is a huge BUG!  It is a major invasion of our privacy!  We have always thought that it was impossible for Local Notebooks to be sync'd to the Evernote Cloud.

@Evernote ( @EvernoteAlex, @Chantal Leonard, @BSR) :  How could you allow this to happen?  We expect much better testing, even for a Beta version, BEFORE you release any software for public use.

On 2/18/2017 at 6:21 AM, dlu said:

Is there demand sync on this beta? I'm hoping there is and I've just missed it. I'm in the middle of a fresh install with a ridiculous first sync session (mostly my fault for having a huge account).

thanks team!

You mean hitting the Sync button in the tool bar?

And good to see you again DLU. You were very active in the forums in years past before becoming ex-evernote. :)

Demand sync being a term I borrowed from the Windows beta. I'm guessing they can't comment so I'll just try to be patient

I, too, am very upset that my once-Local notebook is syncing with Evernote's web service and I cannot figure out how to turn it off. I want my notes on my computer, and definitely not stored in the 'cloud'.

My recent experiences with Evernote—this unrequested syncing and inability of highlight PDFs—has made me actively start looking elsewhere.

I used Evernote for years, but lately it has caused me significantly more frustration than warranted for what it is meant to do. If I could retrograde to the version I was using three years ago, I would. It worked well.

Evernote: Please—

1. Turn off syncing of local notebooks;
  2. Fix the bug that prevents me from annotating PDFs.

8 hours ago, dlu said:

Demand sync being a term I borrowed from the Windows beta. I'm guessing they can't comment so I'll just try to be patient

Oh, the option to download. No. I think Windows beta is the first desktop platform to have that. 

19 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

We have always thought that it was impossible for Local Notebooks to be sync'd to the Evernote Cloud.

Definitely not impossible.  This happened with an early Windows v5 beta.  To Evernote's credit they did fix it quickly but it is very unnerving to see your local data getting sync'd.