Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.11 Beta 2 Released

Idea

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 2! You can download it here.

In this Beta, we've made changes which we think will improve the workflows the beta community had noted affected them as a result of the work we've done to more clearly separate business and personal content. We embarked on this change because we do not make the separation clear enough today for users, and make it difficult to make the right distinction between where a user's notes will be/should be placed (business notes are owned by the business, and that has a number of implications.) We're keen to understand if these changes improve your workflows, and any suggestions you have for improving these or other tasks across business and personal.

• When switching between business and personal, we'll restore previously opened single note windows
  • Use the keyboard shortcut or new right-click menu option to move notes more quickly across business and personal

589967fd5c445_ScreenShot2017-02-06at9_40_41PM.png.c6fbc7da235bb43c54d091d29daaf0e6.png

• We've made it easier to start a search in your other account by providing a link to searching in that context

58996914ef034_ScreenShot2017-02-06at10_08_24PM.png.cadfe9c7d8b493b64e42e7faa58d480b.png

We're looking forwards to hearing what you think, and if these changes improve your workflows compared to Beta 1 and 6.10.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

Version 6.11 Beta 2 Release Notes

New:

• Support for Tabs on macOS 10.12. Reduce clutter and organize your windows using tabs instead of separate windows. Create a new tab by selecting File > New Tab. This is not supported on older versions of macOS.
  • Business and personal notes are now separated. You only see what you need, when you need it, making it easier to browse and search to find what you need, and create notes in the right place. Just click the user name in the toolbar, if you want to switch to another account.

Improved:

• Single note windows are restored when opening the app or when switching between Business and Personal.
  • More quickly move your notes across Business and Personal by using the Ctrl+Option+⌘+M shortcut or selecting that option directly from the right-click menu.
  • More quickly start searching in Business when in Personal (or vice versa) by using the added entry point in search suggestions.
  • Like 3

96 replies to this idea

JMichaelTX    3,610
11 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 2!

Great!  How many bugs did you fix with this release?  Can you please list the major bugs fixed?

How well did you test this version before releasing it?  Can you please list all known issues with this release?

@JMichaelTX we fixed about 5 dozen bugs. As a rule we don't provide full details of fixed issues unless an issue is hitting a large portion of our users, but happy to comment if you want to pass along a specific bug you're curious about. 

In terms of the typical process we follow from a testing standpoint, we have automated as well as manual testing passes we go through. 

aleonidis    0
5 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Support for Tabs on macOS 10.12. Reduce clutter and organize your windows using tabs instead of separate windows. Create a new tab by selecting File > New Tab. This is not supported on older versions of macOS

Are tabs intended to support multiple accounts only or can they be used to view multiple notes simultaneously?

aleonidis    0

Consider my question obsolete.

I have been using the stable version rather the beta one, where the [+] icon on the top bar was visible whereas the "Add new Tab" was not available, therefore I jump to the conclusion that multiple accounts were supposed to be connected to enable that functionality.

When I updated in the latest version everything worked as they were supposed to.

Thanks for the help though :)

DTLow    2,242

Not Fixed: Still can not create Local Notebooks

Edited: This was an intended change - the solution was to use the option key

Edited: First reported in Mac 6.11 Beta 1

macfixer    75
17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not Fixed: Still can not create Local Notebooks

Wasn't that pulled several releases ago?

EdH    1,055
10 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@JMichaelTX we fixed about 5 dozen bugs. As a rule we don't provide full details of fixed issues unless an issue is hitting a large portion of our users, but happy to comment if you want to pass along a specific bug you're curious about. 

In terms of the typical process we follow from a testing standpoint, we have automated as well as manual testing passes we go through. 

I'll install tonight, but does this fix the bug where when you copy files in Finder, then press CTRL-CMD-V, instead of creating notes with the files, it simply crashes? That bug has survived the last two betas, and it really killing me. 

• Like 1

DTLow    2,242
34 minutes ago, EdH said:

I'll install tonight, but does this fix the bug where when you copy files in Finder, then press CTRL-CMD-V, instead of creating notes with the files, it simply crashes? That bug has survived the last two betas, and it really killing me. 

Wow - that actually worked
Looks good for this release

I wasn't familiar with the shortcut; I usually drag files to my import folder or the Evernote icon

• Like 1

EdH    1,055
13 minutes ago, nicolml said:

@DTLow @macfixer
If you want to create a Local Notebook, hold OPTION down on your keyboard before clicking on file in your Menu Bar. The option will show then. 

why is stuff like this hidden behind obscure keys? This is like the indent/outdent feature in notes. On Windows version of Evernote, and Excel, Word, and every other app that support indent/outdent, there are buttons, but not on the Mac Evernote client. Even the iOS apps have indent/outdent buttons. :(

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EdH said:

why is stuff like this hidden behind obscure keys? This is like the indent/outdent feature in notes. On Windows version of Evernote, and Excel, Word, and every other app that support indent/outdent, there are buttons, but not on the Mac Evernote client. Even the iOS apps have indent/outdent buttons. :(

@EdH we were finding users were accidentally creating local notebooks, and surprised when their content didn't sync.  We want to make sure that the users that are creating these are very intentional about it as a result. Regarding indent/outdent, can you tell me what type of scenario you'd find that useful for? Also tagging @EvernoteAlex so he can see your feedback on indenting as he's driving our editor improvements at the moment.  

• Like 2

EdH    1,055
31 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@EdH we were finding users were accidentally creating local notebooks, and surprised when their content didn't sync.  We want to make sure that the users that are creating these are very intentional about it as a result. Regarding indent/outdent, can you tell me what type of scenario you'd find that useful for? Also tagging @EvernoteAlex so he can see your feedback on indenting as he's driving our editor improvements at the moment.  

I understand @Chantal Leonard but the UI for creating a notebook could include an "advanced" button to bring up another checkbox. Forcing a user to hit CTRL/CMD/whatever just to expose the info is really too obscure for 99% of the users that would have a legitimate reason for an offline notebook.

As for Indent/Outdent icons? Not sure what you mean by scenario. I am constantly workign with lists or paragraphs that for some reason or another, I want to go in a level to create a subpara/section, then need to outdent to get back to where I was. The indent/outdent icons are right there in the UI of a note for the Windows client. I was using that extenslively this morning while taking notes from an online course at Starbucks this morning, and I specifically took my Windows machine for this because I often get so flustered with the Mac version of evernote trying to remember the magical keyboard shortcut I lose my place and trash formatting.

A "Keyboard shortcut" should, as a rule, be a shortcut to doing something, not the only way to do something, especially with something as common as indent/outdent in an app that has lists, where indent/outdent is very common. I prefer to use CTRL-B/I/U for bold, underline, italics, but I would never in a million years argue that you should remove the B/I/U icons from the note editor.

• Like 4

JMichaelTX    3,610
13 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@Chantal Leonard, thanks for your reply.  It is great to see 60 bugs fixed! 👍

I was not asking for details of fixed issues, but may I suggest that you provide a simple list of them?

I know most companies/developers are reluctant to talk about bugs, but in the case of Evernote I think it would be in your best interest to do so:

• Evernote has developed a reputation for releasing buggy software without proper testing, and for pushing out new (often unwanted) features rather than fixing bugs.
  • By posting a list of bugs fixed, it would show us that you are indeed focusing on fixing bugs.  This would enhance your reputation.
  • It would also quickly let us know whether or not a particular bug that is affecting our workflow has been fixed.
  • I do not see a downside to listing bug fixes.
  • Since you already have the list in your internal bug tracker, it seems this would be easy to do.

Thanks.

cc: @EvernoteAlex

• Like 6

Amanda H.    0

Even with the update, Evernote is constantly crashing while I'm attempting to annotate PDFs. Also images aren't properly loading (either spliced with text/blank/pics from other slides or not loading at all) and text is jumping sizes from small to enormous. 

righteousdork    115
17 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I was not asking for details of fixed issues, but may I suggest that you provide a simple list of them?

I know most companies/developers are reluctant to talk about bugs, but in the case of Evernote I think it would be in your best interest to do so:

• Evernote has developed a reputation for releasing buggy software without proper testing, and for pushing out new (often unwanted) features rather than fixing bugs.
  • By posting a list of bugs fixed, it would show us that you are indeed focusing on fixing bugs.  This would enhance your reputation.
  • It would also quickly let us know whether or not a particular bug that is affecting our workflow has been fixed.
  • Since you already have the list in your internal bug tracker, it seems this would be easy to do.

Thanks.

Yes, Yes, Yes.
Even if the list of bug fixes won't make sense to everyone.  Whatever title you give them in your bug-tracking software would be sufficient.  I don't even think we're saying post them on the blog.  But pasting them here for posterity couldn't hurt.  And I think we're all mature enough to realize that just because you squish one bug, a certain behavior could still occur due to another bug.

At this point with the iOS release, I would love to know what's being fixed over there in detail....to maintain my sanity.     

• Like 2

Dan Wilson    85

The bug when I take an individual note full screen and the main Evernote window goes black - and cannot be recovered without quitting the app - is still present.  I contacted support about this a while back and they said it was a known issue.  Any idea when it will go from a known issue to a fixed issue?

• Like 1

nicolml    30

@Dan Wilson Hey Dan, We're aware of this issue and the impact it has on our users. Personally it affects my workflow too. We hope to get this fix out as soon as possible, but right now no ETA. 

• Like 1

lonewolf    10
On 2017/02/07 at 10:07 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

@EdH we were finding users were accidentally creating local notebooks, and surprised when their content didn't sync.  We want to make sure that the users that are creating these are very intentional about it as a result.

@Chantal Leonard Hey Chantal, I haven't yet tried this beta but could you please answer the following question for me.

If a user, one who does not frequent these forums, tries to create a local notebook, is there any indication in the application itself about how to do this? Would the user even know that creating a local notebook is possible with this update?

If this option to create a local notebook is discoverable in the application itself, then I think this change is fine. If not, there should be a way to find out how, without having to visit the forums or google for an answer.

• Like 2

lonewolf    10
On 2017/02/07 at 11:19 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Thanks.

@Chantal Leonard I think what we're asking for is a list with a description of the fixes included in the release, similar to what your predecessor @Software Marcus used to do.

I usually check this list before downloading an update to see if there are any unwanted new features, fixes for bugs that affect me, or any changes that would break my workflow.

The detailed list of fixes used to really help in this regard.

If I wanted the summary of changes, I would go read the post on the blog.

upnix    6

Here's a bug I think I've found:

1. In a note start a bulleted list.
  2. Create a new line without a bullet (Shift+Enter)
  3. Paste a picture on this new line. Taking a screenshot is a quick way to do this (Control+Shift+Cmd+4)
  4. Make at least one more bullet.
  5. Now leave the note then come back
  6. Create some more bullets, but paste another picture on a new non-bulleted line (Shift+Enter)
  7. Leave note and come back

You should now have an extra line between any previously pasted picture and the content below.

Sounds minor, but I've got massive gaps between between pictures now. Fixing is a pain, but that's the worst of it.

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.37.07 AM.png

EdH    1,055
On 2/7/2017 at 0:40 PM, EdH said:

As for Indent/Outdent icons? Not sure what you mean by scenario. I am constantly workign with lists or paragraphs that for some reason or another, I want to go in a level to create a subpara/section, then need to outdent to get back to where I was. The indent/outdent icons are right there in the UI of a note for the Windows client. I was using that extenslively this morning while taking notes from an online course at Starbucks this morning, and I specifically took my Windows machine for this because I often get so flustered with the Mac version of evernote trying to remember the magical keyboard shortcut I lose my place and trash formatting.

A "Keyboard shortcut" should, as a rule, be a shortcut to doing something, not the only way to do something, especially with something as common as indent/outdent in an app that has lists, where indent/outdent is very common. I prefer to use CTRL-B/I/U for bold, underline, italics, but I would never in a million years argue that you should remove the B/I/U icons from the note editor.

Also @Chantal Leonard & @EvernoteAlex - most useful keyboard shortcuts are easy to use, like CTRL-B/U/I, or Command-U/B/I. It makes it faster than reaching for the mouse. Having to hit CTRL-SHIFT-COMMAND (or whatever it is because it isn't 1 key) and then go for the right or left bracket [  ] is not easy. I am a touch typist and I never use those keys by touch, so any shortcut attached to brackets, squigly brackets, the tilde, pipe, colon, semi-colon, and a few others, I'd rather just slide my hand down to the trackpad and click on an icon, which is what I do in Windows when I need to indent/outdent.

Can I ask this question?

What is the reasoning for having different icons on the toolbar for a note between Evernote Windows and Evernote Mac? I would like to understand the logic in having different buttons. 

I have Office 365 on both Windows and Mac, and the myriad of buttons on the ribbons are, as far as I know, identical where the features are the same. "Get & Transform" isn't available in Mac Excel, so obviously that is missing from the Mac toolbar, but where the features are the same, the UI is consistent.

@righteousdork @JMichaelTX @lonewolf I took a look and even in those old posts we weren't sharing the full list of bugs we were fixing. As you can imagine there's alot that can be exposed even in the titles of bugs around our implementations. Let me stew on how to give you all more visibility into some of the fixes we're pulling in on a regular basis - perhaps sharing a subset in every release. Look for an update on this when we release our next Beta. 

• Like 2

Jason Miller    85
On 2/8/2017 at 8:11 AM, Amanda H. said:

Even with the update, Evernote is constantly crashing while I'm attempting to annotate PDFs. Also images aren't properly loading (either spliced with text/blank/pics from other slides or not loading at all) and text is jumping sizes from small to enormous. 

HI Amanda

Sorry to hear about the crashing and other editor problems.  Looks like 3 issues, Annotate PDFs crashes as some point, problems loading images, and text changing sizes

Do you happen to have more details on what steps it takes to happen and I will forward to our testes and Dev to work on it?  

J

Jason Miller    85
3 hours ago, upnix said:

Here's a bug I think I've found:

1. In a note start a bulleted list.
  2. Create a new line without a bullet (Shift+Enter)
  3. Paste a picture on this new line. Taking a screenshot is a quick way to do this (Control+Shift+Cmd+4)
  4. Make at least one more bullet.
  5. Now leave the note then come back
  6. Create some more bullets, but paste another picture on a new non-bulleted line (Shift+Enter)
  7. Leave note and come back

You should now have an extra line between any previously pasted picture and the content below.

Sounds minor, but I've got massive gaps between between pictures now. Fixing is a pain, but that's the worst of it.

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.37.07 AM.png

Sorry about you hitting this, this bug was recently fixed and being polished now (i.e. testing corner cases), the fix should be in the next Beta or full release, which ever comes next.

J

Stacey    17

The new key command to move notes to the business side of my account works well.

However, before I found that, I saw that I can choose business notebooks using the Control + Command + M command (all notebooks are appearing....I like this). But, when I move notes that way, it doesn't work. It looks like it will work but instead the interface just spins on sync and the notes don't move. Seems that either there is a bug with moving them, or the bug is that the business notebooks are showing under the Control+Command+M command (without adding the option key). Again, when I add the option key, it works.