Evernote for Mac 6.11 Beta 2 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 2! You can download it here.

In this Beta, we've made changes which we think will improve the workflows the beta community had noted affected them as a result of the work we've done to more clearly separate business and personal content. We embarked on this change because we do not make the separation clear enough today for users, and make it difficult to make the right distinction between where a user's notes will be/should be placed (business notes are owned by the business, and that has a number of implications.) We're keen to understand if these changes improve your workflows, and any suggestions you have for improving these or other tasks across business and personal.

• When switching between business and personal, we'll restore previously opened single note windows
  • Use the keyboard shortcut or new right-click menu option to move notes more quickly across business and personal

589967fd5c445_ScreenShot2017-02-06at9_40_41PM.png.c6fbc7da235bb43c54d091d29daaf0e6.png

• We've made it easier to start a search in your other account by providing a link to searching in that context

58996914ef034_ScreenShot2017-02-06at10_08_24PM.png.cadfe9c7d8b493b64e42e7faa58d480b.png

We're looking forwards to hearing what you think, and if these changes improve your workflows compared to Beta 1 and 6.10.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

Version 6.11 Beta 2 Release Notes

New:

• Support for Tabs on macOS 10.12. Reduce clutter and organize your windows using tabs instead of separate windows. Create a new tab by selecting File > New Tab. This is not supported on older versions of macOS.
  • Business and personal notes are now separated. You only see what you need, when you need it, making it easier to browse and search to find what you need, and create notes in the right place. Just click the user name in the toolbar, if you want to switch to another account.

Improved:

• Single note windows are restored when opening the app or when switching between Business and Personal.
  • More quickly move your notes across Business and Personal by using the Ctrl+Option+⌘+M shortcut or selecting that option directly from the right-click menu.
  • More quickly start searching in Business when in Personal (or vice versa) by using the added entry point in search suggestions.

96 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, zonderkoolzuur said:

Since Evernote started syncing my local notebooks, I've nearly run out of cloud space. Is there any word on when Beta 3 will be released?

Contact EN. They should bump your transfer limit this month. 

Just downloaded the beta, a few requests/questions:

- I'm assuming the beta keeps a separate copy of my EN database compared to the app store version, correct? Any concerns I should be aware of when having both on my system?

- Can you please add the right click menu option to create a nested tag on the sidebar tags? I currently am using Evernote 75% in windows and 25% on mac (but it varies) and that missing function on the mac side is driving me nuts! I use the tagging very extensively. All I see on the Mac side is the option to delete a tag, and I've almost accidentally deleted tags a few times on the mac because I was moving too fast. Can you PLEASE add this in? The other stuff the PC client has in this menu would be cool too (styling tags, etc) but certainly secondary.

- Will the mac ever support the ability to have favorites in the toolbar at the top of the window like how the PC client does it?

I will certainly reply if I find any issues as I test this beta out. Thank you for all of your hard work!

It's not unusual for me to have multiple Note Windows from different Personal and/or Business Notebooks open at once, some with multiple tabs.

When I with switch between Personal and Business, then back to Personal again, I am losing context (not Evernote Context, but the Notes I have open). For example, in the first screenshot, I have caught the list of open Personal Notes, before switching to my Business Account. When I switch back to Personal, I have the same number of Windows open, but that are all duplicates of, what appears to be, the last active window. Hopefully that explains what I mean by context in this instance.

Now please forgive me if I am jumping the gun, because you do seem to be on the path to where I would like to see the product - where I could retain open Windows (and Tabs) when I switch between Personal and Business - something which is a bit onerous in the most recent beta version.

Keep up the great work.

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 10.20.24 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 12.57.11 pm.png

• Level 5*

Yup. Right-clicking should not be the only way to get the classic link. That is a MAJOR pain if you have the note open in a window and you have changed to someplace entirely different in the main EN window then need to go find the note you are in just to get the classic link. Should be fixed so you can access from the Mac menu bar.

WOW- Thank you! So I just confirmed that if I do as you suggested, and control click a note, then hold down option key, it DOES change to classic link, and I can paste that in another app to refer directly back to EN. However, I also confirmed that if I use Menu and Click on Note--> Copy Note Link, clicking on option key does NOT change to classic link, and it just copies the full (not classic) URL. 

Definitely buggy... I hope EN support is monitoring this and will acknowledge/ fix this!

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, pdadoc2 said:

Thanks- can you confirm you're using Mac version 6.11 beta 2? When I hit the option key, it does not change to classic (it used to!).

I think this is a UI bug/design issue.

If you right-click the note, then Option Key, it will change to classic note link, but no matter what you do, the Note menu in the menu bar will not change, which is inconsistent behavior.

EDIT: Check out that from the menu. I am back on my PC and CTRL modifies the behavior of what is copied on both the menu Note|Copy Note Link and the right-click menu, but in neither case does it change what the menu shows while it is doing it.

It could be the Mac is doing the classic note link from the menu and just not changing the menu. I didn't test the paste result in a text editor.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, pdadoc2 said:

Using current beta, when I "Copy Note Link" from Note Menu, that link is NOT a local EN link, and does not work in other apps on the mac (Fantastical, 2Do) to open my note in EN. Instead, I get a new tab opening in Safari, requiring me to log in to see anything further!

1 hour ago, pdadoc2 said:

I haven't used links for awhile, but wanted to use them more now. It used to be that holding Option key when selecting copy note link would do exactly that, but that no longer seems to work. 

Pressing the option key works for meUntitled.jpeg.a307d30ff47eddbd6f665daade775473.jpeg
The menu text changes to Copy Classic Link
and the evernote:///view/.... link is copied

I haven't used links for awhile, but wanted to use them more now. It used to be that holding Option key when selecting copy note link would do exactly that, but that no longer seems to work. It just copies a "full"url, which DOES seem to work in opening the link directly in EN IF already in EN. But on other apps, no longer working, which would seem to be a significant step backwards.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, pdadoc2 said:

Using current beta, when I "Copy Note Link" from Note Menu, that link is NOT a local EN link, and does not work in other apps on the mac (Fantastical, 2Do) to open my note in EN. Instead, I get a new tab opening in Safari, requiring me to log in to see anything further!

It has been that way for years on the PC client. Are you sure that is new to the Mac beta?

on the PC you can hold the CTRL key down when selecting copy note link and it will do the old style evernote:\\ link. I am not near my Mac right now but I suspect it will do the same. 

• Level 5*
Just now, Christos said:

I tried downgrading to 6.10 and 6.11 beta 1, but am told that these versions are not able to read my notebooks (which I guess have been converted into a newer 6.11 beta 2 - compatible format).

You have to downgrade both your software and database

I use the AppCleaner app to remove Evernote from my Mac
Then I reinstall the app and the database is rebuilt from the servers
Warning: The rebuild doesn't included local notebooks or unsynced notes

I am also affected by the bug of local notebooks being synced. There is no way to stop this. 

I tried downgrading to 6.10 and 6.11 beta 1, but am told that these versions are not able to read my notebooks (which I guess have been converted into a newer 6.11 beta 2 - compatible format).

Could EN maybe comment on how quickly they can release a version that will stop the sync-ing of local notebooks?

On 2017/02/17 at 1:45 PM, stafmans said:

@JMichealTX: thanks for listing the 6.10 bugs and pointing out 6.11 is not going to bring any relief in useablility. Just followed your downgrade instructions to 6.9.2 and am sooo relieved: I can do simple cut-and-paste between my notes again! Seems I have to sit out at least 6.10 and 6.11 with 6.9.2 to have a useable app. Pity Evernote is stumbling downhill like this.

I am also still on 6.9.2 and I've not upgraded further because of various bugs.

It's a sad state of affairs when I have lost so much confidence in EN's ability to release a stable version that I am afraid of actually upgrading. What's even more disheartening is that a lot of these bugs are previously fixed bugs and very basic things like cut and paste and general navigation and text selection errors.

Surely even the most basic of internal testing would highlight these issues and regression testing would highlight errors with previously fixed bugs. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to any thorough testing happening internally at EN. This makes me concerned about their development cycle.

Typically as an end-user, I should not have to ever concern myself with issues like these. However, with the lack of confidence I currently have in EN and their ability to update their software, I have to.

On 2017/02/17 at 7:00 PM, DTLow said:

It does require a certain frame of mind to be participating in beta testing.  Downgrading seems to be a good solution for you

While I don't agree with @stafmans tone, I do agree with his sentiment. This is a beta thread for a beta version of the application.

If anything, they should be providing a more extensive list of bug fixes and changes instead of a selective list than on a GA announcement thread. This would allow the beta testers to actually test these fixes and changes instead of incidentally coming across them during general use. It would also allow them to test if any of these changes indirectly affect other areas of the application. This would help in preventing the terrible regression bugs that EN always seems to have.

Ideally, all of this testing would and should be done by EN's in-house QA testers, but unfortunately that does not seem to be the case.

@Chantal Leonard did mention they'll try to improve in this area in the next beta, so lets hope for the best.

On 2/20/2017 at 3:46 PM, s2sailor said:

I don't know how complex the issue is but I will say that when it occurred on the Windows platform EN took it very seriously and reached out to those of us affected by PM and had us validate a fix in literally a couple of days.  Hopefully it will get resolved quickly again.

Well, it's been 3 business days since I created the ticket and I haven't heard a thing. So I'm not sure how seriously they're taking the issue on the Mac.

(re: Local notebooks syncing with the cloud)

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry, but I don't share your confidence.

It's  a complex problem.

I don't know how complex the issue is but I will say that when it occurred on the Windows platform EN took it very seriously and reached out to those of us affected by PM and had us validate a fix in literally a couple of days.  Hopefully it will get resolved quickly again.

That said, it was this issue that convinced me to stay away from the beta track for a while.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

It's  a complex problem.  Not only are the Local Notebooks (LNB) now in the Evernote Cloud in your active Notes, but they are also in the Note History, and internal backups that Evernote makes.  Also, the LNB (from each device) are now on every device where you have an Evernote account.

I hope Evernote will be able to remove all of these LNB copies, but I'm not counting on it until I see it.
(Of course, since I determined long ago that using EN Beta versions are far too risky, I have NOT installed this, or any other EN Beta, for many years.  My thanks do go to you brave souls who test the Beta's, to identify bugs and bad behavior before it goes into production.)

I'd be surprised of data was internally backed up. Evernote has over 3 petabytes of data. I am sure they are massively reduntant but I don't see how they could ever implement a backup routine that would matter. I could be wrong.

Assuming all data is in some form of live data, they know what they have that should be "local only" based on the flag in the Mac client - or can get that if they don't. Then, you just remove it from everywhere while telling the Mac client with the bug to retain it locally. That will wipe it from their servers and all of your other devices.

ANd remember, only beta users are affected by this, and I am not sure how many people have local only notebooks. I suspect this problem is far FAR less than 1% of users given it is:

1. Mac client bug
  2. A beta bug to boot
  3. You have to have a local notebook to be affected

I am not saying there is a switch to flip to fix it - it could be tricky on their end to ensure the purge without removing it from all of your clients as it should be retained on one, but I seriously doubt any of their storage medium is permanent (like an optical drive storage) or offline (like a tape) where your content could linger for years.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, EdH said:

I have every confidence they will.

It's  a complex problem.  Not only are the Local Notebooks (LNB) now in the Evernote Cloud in your active Notes, but they are also in the Note History, and internal backups that Evernote makes.  Also, the LNB (from each device) are now on every device where you have an Evernote account.

I hope Evernote will be able to remove all of these LNB copies, but I'm not counting on it until I see it.
(Of course, since I determined long ago that using EN Beta versions are far too risky, I have NOT installed this, or any other EN Beta, for many years.  My thanks do go to you brave souls who test the Beta's, to identify bugs and bad behavior before it goes into production.)

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, zonderkoolzuur said:

That's indeed true. But I trust that Evernote will be removing my local notebook from the cloud in the near future so it can be back to being 'local'.

I have every confidence they will. Monitor this thread or the next beta update to see how they rectify the matter.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, caledavis said:

I, too, am very upset that my once-Local notebook is syncing with Evernote's web service and I cannot figure out how to turn it off. I want my notes on my computer, and definitely not stored in the 'cloud'.

My recent experiences with Evernote—this unrequested syncing and inability of highlight PDFs—has made me actively start looking elsewhere.

I used Evernote for years, but lately it has caused me significantly more frustration than warranted for what it is meant to do. If I could retrograde to the version I was using three years ago, I would. It worked well.

Evernote: Please—

1. Turn off syncing of local notebooks;
  2. Fix the bug that prevents me from annotating PDFs.

It is a beta. Errors happen. This error should not have happened, but it did, and it is a beta. You shouldn't be using beta software if you are only ok to accept some errors and bugs, but not others. The warnings when you clicked the beta box were very clear on this.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

We have always thought that it was impossible for Local Notebooks to be sync'd to the Evernote Cloud.

Definitely not impossible.  This happened with an early Windows v5 beta.  To Evernote's credit they did fix it quickly but it is very unnerving to see your local data getting sync'd.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure if this is a mac or iOS issue - but most likely mac.

I have image notes captured on my iPhone (running the latest client) that are then successfully sync'd to my mac. I do some curation at that point, add a title and move to a notebook that I have shared to me. All good.

Noticed yesterday that about half a dozen of these notes were still sitting in my default notebook on iOS and also when I checked on the web.

So, now I can't trust my data - I have the same note existing in different places on different clients and I haven't seen any sync errors. A couple of these notes go back to the beginning of the year.

I've deleted the notes from my default notebook on the web (it's meant to be the source of truth) and now I can either bury my head in the sand or start a very long process of checking the integrity of my data.

I've checked the logs and there is nothing unusual there.

This isn't good Evernote.

Thanks - As I said, I left the BETA version on my MAC, and downloaded the public version. That fixed my sizing problem with tables.

But, I no longer have access to TABS - which I enjoyed using. Is that a BETA only feature? When will it come to the public version?

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, kempster said:

Did anyone else have trouble with the NEW BETA and tables?

I had the same problem with the Beta 3 release, and reported the issue in the Beta 3 release notes
This is a display problem; your data has not been impacted
You can verify this via the web platform (www.evernote.com) or by downgrading to Beta 2

35 minutes ago, kempster said:

Wow... I downloaded the new BETA... and it distorted all my TABLES... I've got > 17k notes... WOW!

Far as I could tell, it affected the tables in which I have a color background (which are many). I went to SUPPORT, and was told to leave BETA and download Version 6.10 (454267 Direct) - it fixed my TABLE problem (whew). 

But now, apparently, I've lost TABS. Do TABS only appear in the BETA version?

Did anyone else have trouble with the NEW BETA and tables? I've attached a screenshot to show what happened.

Monday-_Friday_March_2-6__2015_—_Evernote.png

Hi kempster

Which Beta was this? It was a side effect of an editor bug that has been fixed, however it might require table resizing :-(

J

Wow... I downloaded the new BETA... and it distorted all my TABLES... I've got > 17k notes... WOW!

Far as I could tell, it affected the tables in which I have a color background (which are many). I went to SUPPORT, and was told to leave BETA and download Version 6.10 (454267 Direct) - it fixed my TABLE problem (whew). 

But now, apparently, I've lost TABS. Do TABS only appear in the BETA version?

Did anyone else have trouble with the NEW BETA and tables? I've attached a screenshot to show what happened.

Monday-_Friday_March_2-6__2015_—_Evernote.png

On 3/13/2017 at 10:16 AM, Amanda H. said:

I haven't identified a specific step that I take that triggers the crash, but have noticed that it doesn't happen when viewing my PDFs- only when annotating them. During my typical four hour lecture block there is usually at least 1 crash per hour but doesn't follow a consistent pattern. 

Are you still experiencing all 3 problems with the latest beta?   (text resizing, loading images, and crashes)

On 2/7/2017 at 3:21 PM, aleonidis said:

Are tabs intended to support multiple accounts only or can they be used to view multiple notes simultaneously?

Yes, is there a way to open not just another list view of notes, but just a note in its own window without the sidebar distractions? It would be ideal, when you open a note to a new tab, that that action does exactly like it does when you open a note to a new window.

• Level 5*

One version of the note has a title, the other doesn't - so they are not exactly the same.

I was going to open a support case but, well you know...send logs...radio silence....etc

• Level 5*
On 2017-03-19 at 4:31 AM, Metrodon said:

I have the same note existing in different places on different clients and I haven't seen any sync errors. A couple of these notes go back to the beginning of the year.

22 hours ago, Metrodon said:

This - Curated copy in the shared notebook, and the copy in the default notebook

I think the duplicated notes explanation is better than the same note existing in different places
This could be confirmed by generating a note link and seeing if they're the same
Of course this doesn't solve the problem of how the notes got duplicated
- I'd be suspicious of the IOS point of entry

>>Why? I'm running the mac beta.

I see this discussion as relating to feedback on the v6.11 release

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Metrodon said:

I'm not sure if this is a mac or iOS issue - but most likely mac.

I have image notes captured on my iPhone (running the latest client) that are then successfully sync'd to my mac. I do some curation at that point, add a title and move to a notebook that I have shared to me. All good.

Noticed yesterday that about half a dozen of these notes were still sitting in my default notebook on iOS and also when I checked on the web.

So, now I can't trust my data - I have the same note existing in different places on different clients and I haven't seen any sync errors.

It is issues like this that reaffirm my decision to NOT upgrade to Betas, or even to the latest production version of Evernote on any platform.
Thankfully I'm still on EN Mac 6.9.2  and EN iOS 7.17.  I will stay on both until Evernote has demonstrated that a production version is stable and reliable, and does not break my primary workflows.

For several years now, Evernote updates have become very risky, very unreliable, with many new bugs being introduced with each release.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Metrodon said:

move to a notebook that I have shared to me....I've deleted the notes from my default notebook on the web

You should start a new discussion instead of tacking on to an ongoing discussion.  I see this discussion to provide feedback on the release

Does this mean there were two copies of the note?  

• Curated copy in the shared notebook, and the copy in the default notebook
  • Or did your delete also remove the note from the shared notebook

I, too, am very upset that my once-Local notebook is syncing with Evernote's web service and I cannot figure out how to turn it off. I want my notes on my computer, and definitely not stored in the 'cloud'.

My recent experiences with Evernote—this unrequested syncing and inability of highlight PDFs—has made me actively start looking elsewhere.

I used Evernote for years, but lately it has caused me significantly more frustration than warranted for what it is meant to do. If I could retrograde to the version I was using three years ago, I would. It worked well.

Evernote: Please—

1. Turn off syncing of local notebooks;
  2. Fix the bug that prevents me from annotating PDFs.
On 2/9/2017 at 5:10 PM, Jason Miller said:

HI Amanda

Sorry to hear about the crashing and other editor problems.  Looks like 3 issues, Annotate PDFs crashes as some point, problems loading images, and text changing sizes

Do you happen to have more details on what steps it takes to happen and I will forward to our testes and Dev to work on it?  

J

I haven't identified a specific step that I take that triggers the crash, but have noticed that it doesn't happen when viewing my PDFs- only when annotating them. During my typical four hour lecture block there is usually at least 1 crash per hour but doesn't follow a consistent pattern. 

On 2/12/2017 at 9:29 PM, JMichaelTX said:

@Chantal Leonard and @EvernoteAlex:

How many of the 17 new bugs released in EN Mac 6.10 GA have you fixed?

Please make fixing these bugs your top priority for the next production (GA) release, particularly over NEW features.

The New Bugs Released in EN Mac 6.10 GA:

Created:  2016-11-22    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Ray Sidney-Smith

Created:  2016-11-30    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  upnix

Created:  2016-11-08    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  sneaky1

Created:  2016-11-08    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  bambooparadox

Created:  2016-11-06    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  DTLow

Created:  2016-11-05    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  santander

Created:  2016-11-02    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  gadget

Created:  2016-11-01    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  hsverin

Created:  2017-02-10    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Ray Sidney-Smith

Created:  2016-12-21    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  URamsing

Created:  2016-12-20    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  santander

Created:  2016-12-12    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  sail

Created:  2016-12-11    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  dsblox

Created:  2016-11-17    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  ChiragC

Created:  2016-11-16    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Helejo

Created:  2016-11-15    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  GLondon

Added to EN Mac 6.10 Bug (which seems to flow through to 6.11 Beta 2) list: Hanging indent formatting from Microsoft Word and Google Docs (I haven't tested iCloud or desktop Pages app) when pasted into a note, pushes the text at the left margin off-screen by about 25-50px. See https://www.evernote.com/l/AAsY8uuo1VdEdIrD6k0JVI43fladee1AuNg.

I've confirmed this across three devices running three of the latest Mac OS X versions; two running 6.10 public release and one running 6.11 beta 2.

@Chantal Leonard @Jason Miller Thanks for all your efforts!

39 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This is off-topic and you should be starting your own discussion instead of tacking on to an existing discussion.

In answer to your question: Evernote is not a Word Processing app.
I use EN as a Note app, and by definition my notes are short.  
For more serious work, I use a dedicated word processing app

I consider that to be an obnoxious response. I'm sorry that this was off topic. However, I don't know who defined notes as short by definition. Surely you do not have the authority to do so!

I'm a heavy user of Hazel and AppleScript to automate filing of PDFs into particular notebooks with tags. The new beta is causing major problems for me when the Business account is active, but the AppleScript is trying to add the PDF to a personal notebook. Are there AppleScript commands to change accounts or specify the account and notebook for note creation? Write now I'm using system events to apply the ⌃⌘1 shortcut for my personal account, but it is hit or (mostly) miss for me because this script runs in the background while I'm using the computer so the shortcut is often applied to the active app I'm using rather than Evernote. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

On 2/9/2017 at 0:53 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

@righteousdork @JMichaelTX @lonewolf I took a look and even in those old posts we weren't sharing the full list of bugs we were fixing. As you can imagine there's alot that can be exposed even in the titles of bugs around our implementations. Let me stew on how to give you all more visibility into some of the fixes we're pulling in on a regular basis - perhaps sharing a subset in every release. Look for an update on this when we release our next Beta. 

Maybe other people aren't experiencing as many issues, but the MULTIPLE SERIOUS BUGS introduced in the last "stable" version have absolutely ruined your app for me.  Very basic text editing functions are now a chore, and I live in constant fear of data loss (just encountered a new bug today – deleting one image from a note deletes every image in that note; have to undo immediately, or they're gone for good).  These bugs have been present for months with no word from Evernote on whether/when they will be fixed.  Many of them are so pervasive that it's hard to imagine how they slipped through basic quality control (no one noticed that when you highlight more than 2-3 characters of text and start typing, the highlighted text isn't overwritten?  Really?  This is a basic core function of literally every text editor I've ever used, and I encounter this bug multiple times a day in the course of ordinary typing/revision of text.) 

Point blank: the current quality of this app is unacceptable, and it's incredibly frustrating to see a list of new features being beta tested, unaccompanied by any information on bugs that have been ruining the user experience for months. This is a serious communication issue on top of what I can only assume is a serious quality control issue.  It would be nice to see some indication that these concerns are being taken seriously.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, cf77 said:

- I'm assuming the beta keeps a separate copy of my EN database compared to the app store version, correct? Any concerns I should be aware of when having both on my system?

I think you should be very concerned.  How Evernote stores the data for each is subject to change with each new version.  In the past, installing either the App Store or Direct version would convert the database to that needed by the one you are installing.

The biggest concern I would have (but I did NOT upgrade to the Beta) is whether or not the Beta made changes to your data, which in turn have been sync'd (uploaded) to the EN Cloud.  For example, the EN Win 6.5 Beta 2 just released turned all of your Local Notebooks into Sync'd Notebooks, and uploaded them to the EN Cloud.

Barring Local Notebooks, if you have any issues with the Mac Beta, you can always do a clean reinstall of the version you want, and download a fresh copy of your Notes from the EN Cloud.  If you are interested in doing this, See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac .

I didn't see it mentioned on this thread, but in another one we were discussing the long-existing issue of Searches not highlighting the search text in found pages (this is only on the Mac version, I think). The workaround offered isn't very practical (go to each found page, hit enter on the search again) so I was hoping this would be fixed in 6.11. On the other thread the moderator said this was fixed in the Beta release, but I just tried and it still doesn't work.  Can one of the moderators here verify that the intention is to have this fixed in 6.11? 

I like Evernote but using it is a struggle, as the only accepted app at work is OneNote (which sucks for Mac users), so I have to get security exception every few months for them to allow it to sync over the network.  Between that hassle and this bug, I'm seriously thinking of jumping to the (inferior, but functional) OneNote option.  Any hope?

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-27 at 8:31 PM, cf77 said:

I'm assuming the beta keeps a separate copy of my EN database compared to the app store version, correct? Any concerns I should be aware of when having both on my system?

In fact the app store version does store the database in a different location than the direct download version.
Its not a "beta" feature and exists for all versions

>>Any concerns I should be aware of when having both on my system?

You may find it works, but it's unusual to be running two versions of Evernote on the same Mac.  
Users usually download the software from only one source (app store or EN)

>>Can you please add...

This isn't the place to post feature requests
You should start a new discussion

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@EdH we were finding users were accidentally creating local notebooks, and surprised when their content didn't sync.  We want to make sure that the users that are creating these are very intentional about it as a result. Regarding indent/outdent, can you tell me what type of scenario you'd find that useful for? Also tagging @EvernoteAlex so he can see your feedback on indenting as he's driving our editor improvements at the moment.  

I understand @Chantal Leonard but the UI for creating a notebook could include an "advanced" button to bring up another checkbox. Forcing a user to hit CTRL/CMD/whatever just to expose the info is really too obscure for 99% of the users that would have a legitimate reason for an offline notebook.

As for Indent/Outdent icons? Not sure what you mean by scenario. I am constantly workign with lists or paragraphs that for some reason or another, I want to go in a level to create a subpara/section, then need to outdent to get back to where I was. The indent/outdent icons are right there in the UI of a note for the Windows client. I was using that extenslively this morning while taking notes from an online course at Starbucks this morning, and I specifically took my Windows machine for this because I often get so flustered with the Mac version of evernote trying to remember the magical keyboard shortcut I lose my place and trash formatting.

A "Keyboard shortcut" should, as a rule, be a shortcut to doing something, not the only way to do something, especially with something as common as indent/outdent in an app that has lists, where indent/outdent is very common. I prefer to use CTRL-B/I/U for bold, underline, italics, but I would never in a million years argue that you should remove the B/I/U icons from the note editor.

On 2/8/2017 at 8:11 AM, Amanda H. said:

Even with the update, Evernote is constantly crashing while I'm attempting to annotate PDFs. Also images aren't properly loading (either spliced with text/blank/pics from other slides or not loading at all) and text is jumping sizes from small to enormous. 

HI Amanda

Sorry to hear about the crashing and other editor problems.  Looks like 3 issues, Annotate PDFs crashes as some point, problems loading images, and text changing sizes

Do you happen to have more details on what steps it takes to happen and I will forward to our testes and Dev to work on it?  

J

@righteousdork @JMichaelTX @lonewolf I took a look and even in those old posts we weren't sharing the full list of bugs we were fixing. As you can imagine there's alot that can be exposed even in the titles of bugs around our implementations. Let me stew on how to give you all more visibility into some of the fixes we're pulling in on a regular basis - perhaps sharing a subset in every release. Look for an update on this when we release our next Beta. 

• Level 5*
On 2/7/2017 at 0:40 PM, EdH said:

As for Indent/Outdent icons? Not sure what you mean by scenario. I am constantly workign with lists or paragraphs that for some reason or another, I want to go in a level to create a subpara/section, then need to outdent to get back to where I was. The indent/outdent icons are right there in the UI of a note for the Windows client. I was using that extenslively this morning while taking notes from an online course at Starbucks this morning, and I specifically took my Windows machine for this because I often get so flustered with the Mac version of evernote trying to remember the magical keyboard shortcut I lose my place and trash formatting.

A "Keyboard shortcut" should, as a rule, be a shortcut to doing something, not the only way to do something, especially with something as common as indent/outdent in an app that has lists, where indent/outdent is very common. I prefer to use CTRL-B/I/U for bold, underline, italics, but I would never in a million years argue that you should remove the B/I/U icons from the note editor.

Also @Chantal Leonard & @EvernoteAlex - most useful keyboard shortcuts are easy to use, like CTRL-B/U/I, or Command-U/B/I. It makes it faster than reaching for the mouse. Having to hit CTRL-SHIFT-COMMAND (or whatever it is because it isn't 1 key) and then go for the right or left bracket [  ] is not easy. I am a touch typist and I never use those keys by touch, so any shortcut attached to brackets, squigly brackets, the tilde, pipe, colon, semi-colon, and a few others, I'd rather just slide my hand down to the trackpad and click on an icon, which is what I do in Windows when I need to indent/outdent.

Can I ask this question?

What is the reasoning for having different icons on the toolbar for a note between Evernote Windows and Evernote Mac? I would like to understand the logic in having different buttons. 

I have Office 365 on both Windows and Mac, and the myriad of buttons on the ribbons are, as far as I know, identical where the features are the same. "Get & Transform" isn't available in Mac Excel, so obviously that is missing from the Mac toolbar, but where the features are the same, the UI is consistent.

Here's a bug I think I've found:

1. In a note start a bulleted list.
  2. Create a new line without a bullet (Shift+Enter)
  3. Paste a picture on this new line. Taking a screenshot is a quick way to do this (Control+Shift+Cmd+4)
  4. Make at least one more bullet.
  5. Now leave the note then come back
  6. Create some more bullets, but paste another picture on a new non-bulleted line (Shift+Enter)
  7. Leave note and come back

You should now have an extra line between any previously pasted picture and the content below.

Sounds minor, but I've got massive gaps between between pictures now. Fixing is a pain, but that's the worst of it.

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.37.07 AM.png

On 2017/02/07 at 11:19 PM, JMichaelTX said:

@Chantal Leonard, thanks for your reply.  It is great to see 60 bugs fixed! ?

I was not asking for details of fixed issues, but may I suggest that you provide a simple list of them?

I know most companies/developers are reluctant to talk about bugs, but in the case of Evernote I think it would be in your best interest to do so:

• Evernote has developed a reputation for releasing buggy software without proper testing, and for pushing out new (often unwanted) features rather than fixing bugs.
  • By posting a list of bugs fixed, it would show us that you are indeed focusing on fixing bugs.  This would enhance your reputation.
  • It would also quickly let us know whether or not a particular bug that is affecting our workflow has been fixed.
  • I do not see a downside to listing bug fixes.
  • Since you already have the list in your internal bug tracker, it seems this would be easy to do.

Thanks.

cc: @EvernoteAlex

@Chantal Leonard I think what we're asking for is a list with a description of the fixes included in the release, similar to what your predecessor @Software Marcus used to do.

I usually check this list before downloading an update to see if there are any unwanted new features, fixes for bugs that affect me, or any changes that would break my workflow.

The detailed list of fixes used to really help in this regard.

If I wanted the summary of changes, I would go read the post on the blog.

On 2017/02/07 at 10:07 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

@EdH we were finding users were accidentally creating local notebooks, and surprised when their content didn't sync.  We want to make sure that the users that are creating these are very intentional about it as a result.

@Chantal Leonard Hey Chantal, I haven't yet tried this beta but could you please answer the following question for me.

If a user, one who does not frequent these forums, tries to create a local notebook, is there any indication in the application itself about how to do this? Would the user even know that creating a local notebook is possible with this update?

If this option to create a local notebook is discoverable in the application itself, then I think this change is fine. If not, there should be a way to find out how, without having to visit the forums or google for an answer.

The bug when I take an individual note full screen and the main Evernote window goes black - and cannot be recovered without quitting the app - is still present.  I contacted support about this a while back and they said it was a known issue.  Any idea when it will go from a known issue to a fixed issue?

17 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I was not asking for details of fixed issues, but may I suggest that you provide a simple list of them?

I know most companies/developers are reluctant to talk about bugs, but in the case of Evernote I think it would be in your best interest to do so:

• Evernote has developed a reputation for releasing buggy software without proper testing, and for pushing out new (often unwanted) features rather than fixing bugs.
  • By posting a list of bugs fixed, it would show us that you are indeed focusing on fixing bugs.  This would enhance your reputation.
  • It would also quickly let us know whether or not a particular bug that is affecting our workflow has been fixed.
  • Since you already have the list in your internal bug tracker, it seems this would be easy to do.

Thanks.

Yes, Yes, Yes.
Even if the list of bug fixes won't make sense to everyone.  Whatever title you give them in your bug-tracking software would be sufficient.  I don't even think we're saying post them on the blog.  But pasting them here for posterity couldn't hurt.  And I think we're all mature enough to realize that just because you squish one bug, a certain behavior could still occur due to another bug.

At this point with the iOS release, I would love to know what's being fixed over there in detail....to maintain my sanity.     

Even with the update, Evernote is constantly crashing while I'm attempting to annotate PDFs. Also images aren't properly loading (either spliced with text/blank/pics from other slides or not loading at all) and text is jumping sizes from small to enormous. 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@JMichaelTX we fixed about 5 dozen bugs. As a rule we don't provide full details of fixed issues unless an issue is hitting a large portion of our users, but happy to comment if you want to pass along a specific bug you're curious about.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, upnix said:

Here's a bug I think I've found:

1. In a note start a bulleted list.
  2. Create a new line without a bullet (Shift+Enter)
  3. Paste a picture on this new line. Taking a screenshot is a quick way to do this (Control+Shift+Cmd+4)
  4. Make at least one more bullet.
  5. Now leave the note then come back
  6. Create some more bullets, but paste another picture on a new non-bulleted line (Shift+Enter)
  7. Leave note and come back

You should now have an extra line between any previously pasted picture and the content below.

Sounds minor, but I've got massive gaps between between pictures now. Fixing is a pain, but that's the worst of it.

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.37.07 AM.png

Sorry about you hitting this, this bug was recently fixed and being polished now (i.e. testing corner cases), the fix should be in the next Beta or full release, which ever comes next.

J

32 minutes ago, EdH said:

why is stuff like this hidden behind obscure keys? This is like the indent/outdent feature in notes. On Windows version of Evernote, and Excel, Word, and every other app that support indent/outdent, there are buttons, but not on the Mac Evernote client. Even the iOS apps have indent/outdent buttons. :(

@EdH we were finding users were accidentally creating local notebooks, and surprised when their content didn't sync.  We want to make sure that the users that are creating these are very intentional about it as a result. Regarding indent/outdent, can you tell me what type of scenario you'd find that useful for? Also tagging @EvernoteAlex so he can see your feedback on indenting as he's driving our editor improvements at the moment.  

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, nicolml said:

@DTLow @macfixer
If you want to create a Local Notebook, hold OPTION down on your keyboard before clicking on file in your Menu Bar. The option will show then. 

why is stuff like this hidden behind obscure keys? This is like the indent/outdent feature in notes. On Windows version of Evernote, and Excel, Word, and every other app that support indent/outdent, there are buttons, but not on the Mac Evernote client. Even the iOS apps have indent/outdent buttons. :(

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, EdH said:

I'll install tonight, but does this fix the bug where when you copy files in Finder, then press CTRL-CMD-V, instead of creating notes with the files, it simply crashes? That bug has survived the last two betas, and it really killing me. 

Wow - that actually worked
Looks good for this release

I wasn't familiar with the shortcut; I usually drag files to my import folder or the Evernote icon

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@JMichaelTX we fixed about 5 dozen bugs. As a rule we don't provide full details of fixed issues unless an issue is hitting a large portion of our users, but happy to comment if you want to pass along a specific bug you're curious about. 

In terms of the typical process we follow from a testing standpoint, we have automated as well as manual testing passes we go through. 

I'll install tonight, but does this fix the bug where when you copy files in Finder, then press CTRL-CMD-V, instead of creating notes with the files, it simply crashes? That bug has survived the last two betas, and it really killing me. 

Consider my question obsolete.

I have been using the stable version rather the beta one, where the [+] icon on the top bar was visible whereas the "Add new Tab" was not available, therefore I jump to the conclusion that multiple accounts were supposed to be connected to enable that functionality.

When I updated in the latest version everything worked as they were supposed to.

Thanks for the help though :)

5 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Support for Tabs on macOS 10.12. Reduce clutter and organize your windows using tabs instead of separate windows. Create a new tab by selecting File > New Tab. This is not supported on older versions of macOS

Are tabs intended to support multiple accounts only or can they be used to view multiple notes simultaneously?

In terms of the typical process we follow from a testing standpoint, we have automated as well as manual testing passes we go through. 

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 2!

Great!  How many bugs did you fix with this release?  Can you please list the major bugs fixed?

How well did you test this version before releasing it?  Can you please list all known issues with this release?

On 7-2-2017 at 8:34 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

@DTLow: It's ***** answers like these that make it unattractive for me to waste time using the 6.11 beta and have zero trust in the bugs mentioned being solved. The arrogance in it. Like I have to show gratitude about bugs being solved. That it my privilege to waste time finding out bugs still exist or not in each new release. So I respect this JmichealTX who invested his time to list quite some bugs in 6.10 (which should be Evernotes responsibility) just to receive such ***** for an answer. Companies that deal with costumers this way, especially the beta testers, should and will vanish. And that's a pity, cause I like Evernote a lot and it's very usefull for me.

• Level 5*
On 2/18/2017 at 6:21 AM, dlu said:

Is there demand sync on this beta? I'm hoping there is and I've just missed it. I'm in the middle of a fresh install with a ridiculous first sync session (mostly my fault for having a huge account).

thanks team!

You mean hitting the Sync button in the tool bar?

And good to see you again DLU. You were very active in the forums in years past before becoming ex-evernote. :)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dean45927 said:

Local notebooks now synching

I'm not sure whether this is an issue with this release, because I don't know when it happened.

My issue is that local notebooks that I created on the client (running beta releases) are now synchronized notebooks showing up in every other client.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed: My new Local Notebooks are also syncing 

This is a huge BUG!  It is a major invasion of our privacy!  We have always thought that it was impossible for Local Notebooks to be sync'd to the Evernote Cloud.

@Evernote ( @EvernoteAlex, @Chantal Leonard, @BSR) :  How could you allow this to happen?  We expect much better testing, even for a Beta version, BEFORE you release any software for public use.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, caledavis said:

The problem is persisting, and it has really stalled my work. I need to highlight PDFs in Preview, urgently.

A known issue, but why is it stalling your work
Two work arounds;

1. Allow Preview to create the pdf copy and manually update your note
  2. Look at creating an Automator script (I'll follow up on this when I get time)

In Sierra, if I open a PDF through Evernote into Preview and highlight or annotate it, Preview forces a copy to be made of the PDF because the Evernote-version is uneditable. Apparently this was meant to be fixed in Beta 2? The problem is persisting, and it has really stalled my work. I need to highlight PDFs in Preview, urgently.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, dean45927 said:

Confirmed: My new Local Notebooks are also syncing 58a9ccf622ba5_ScreenShot2017-02-19at8_48_37AM.png.046a4da70439b32b894964554136afee.png
I can see the notebook type on the notebook page

I can even add notes on my iPad

edited: I'm not adding to the outrage expressed in other posts.  
I consider the beta version the place to detect such errors

I'm not sure whether this is an issue with this release, because I don't know when it happened.

My issue is that local notebooks that I created on the client (running beta releases) are now synchronized notebooks showing up in every other client. The formerly local notebooks behave like local notebooks on the original client (can't see the notebook type, but a local script that iterates through each local notebook still picks these up and skips other notebooks). However, the notebooks are identified as synch'd notebooks on every other client.

I've created a ticket, but I wanted to post here to see if it were happening to others. Obviously this is a security issue.

Allen

Is there demand sync on this beta? I'm hoping there is and I've just missed it. I'm in the middle of a fresh install with a ridiculous first sync session (mostly my fault for having a huge account).

thanks team!

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

It requires a certain frame of mind to be participating in beta testing.  Downgrading seems to be a good solution for you

I'm not a beta tester, just a user that's looking whether bugs I deal with are getting resolved and which effort is put into this.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, stafmans said:

It's ***** answers like these that make it unattractive for me to waste time using the 6.11 beta and have zero trust in the bugs mentioned being solved. The arrogance in it...

It does require a certain frame of mind to be participating in beta testing.  Downgrading seems to be a good solution for you

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, dlu said:

Demand sync being a term I borrowed from the Windows beta. I'm guessing they can't comment so I'll just try to be patient

Oh, the option to download. No. I think Windows beta is the first desktop platform to have that. 

6 minutes ago, upnix said:

What made me downgrade was the ever increasing gaps the editor was putting between my images and the text. I reported this problem further up, and it sounds like it'll be fixed in the next release. It's a lot worse than I first reported. Annotating an image would put a full screen of blank space in between all images and text. So after an hour of taking notes I'd have 20+ screens (like, "page down" sized) of blank spaces in between each image. I was spending more time deleting whitespace than working.

I agree with you on the benefit of providing beta feedback, and I'm still in. Just going to wait until the next beta rather than sit with beta 2.

This particular issue has been fixed and is currently in test, and is targeted for the next Beta 

25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Did you have specific complaints about the 6.11 version?
It's still in beta, and this discussion is our chance to provide feedback

What made me downgrade was the ever increasing gaps the editor was putting between my images and the text. I reported this problem further up, and it sounds like it'll be fixed in the next release. It's a lot worse than I first reported. Annotating an image would put a full screen of blank space in between all images and text. So after an hour of taking notes I'd have 20+ screens (like, "page down" sized) of blank spaces in between each image. I was spending more time deleting whitespace than working.

I agree with you on the benefit of providing beta feedback, and I'm still in. Just going to wait until the next beta rather than sit with beta 2.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, stafmans said:

Seems I have to sit out at least 6.10 and 6.11 with 6.9.2 to have a useable app.

7 minutes ago, upnix said:

Who knew we had it so good in the 6.9.2 release?

I downgraded.

Did you have specific complaints about the 6.11 version?
It's still in beta, and this discussion is our chance to provide feedback

Who knew we had it so good in the 6.9.2 release?

I downgraded. In an old job we had a rule about never making releases on Friday. Evernote may be different, but I don't expect we'll see the next beta until next week.

Fingers crossed for a good beta 3!

@JMichealTX: thanks for listing the 6.10 bugs and pointing out 6.11 is not going to bring any relief in useablility. Just followed your downgrade instructions to 6.9.2 and am sooo relieved: I can do simple cut-and-paste between my notes again! Seems I have to sit out at least 6.10 and 6.11 with 6.9.2 to have a useable app. Pity Evernote is stumbling downhill like this.

• Level 5*

Bug Report: Subject Date is erased

I'm updating this field using Applescript, but Evernote is erasing my value
I submitted ticket # 2011712 and it's been addressed to the beta developers
The message from support is

Because you're experiencing this on our Beta app, I escalated it directly to our developers to take a look. Although I don't have an ETA of when this issue will be resolved, I can assure you we're working diligently to fix it.

I've been very frustrated by the bug with version 6.10 GA where I annotate a PDF and the cursor will frequently jump to the top of the page as I am highlighting, leaving a mark from wherever I am highlighting up to the top of the page. I updated to this beta version hoping this would be fixed, but it persists, perhaps worse than before. 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Please make fixing these bugs your top priority for the next production (GA) release, particularly over NEW features.

Downgrade to EN Mac 6.9.2

Since there are at least 17 material bugs in EN Mac 6.10, and many more new bugs in this BETA version, if you have updated to this version, and it has broke your workflow, then you may want to downgrade to Evernote for Mac 6.9.2 Build 454158 .(Note:  You may need to refresh the above page several times).
See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac .

I don't think there was an official release topic posted in the forum for versions 6.9.1 and 6.9.2 (they were fixes to critical bugs), but for the Release Notes of Ver 6.9, see Evernote for Mac 6.9 Released 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Amen. Across all platforms. I'd rather see a year of bug fixes and not a single new feature than what we have today.

• Level 5*
On 2/7/2017 at 1:34 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

we fixed about 5 dozen bugs. As a rule we don't provide full details of fixed issues unless an issue is hitting a large portion of our users, but happy to comment if you want to pass along a specific bug you're curious about. 

@Chantal Leonard and @EvernoteAlex:

Created:  2016-11-22    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Ray Sidney-Smith

Created:  2016-11-30    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  upnix

Created:  2016-11-08    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  sneaky1

Created:  2016-11-08    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  bambooparadox

Created:  2016-11-05    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  santander

Created:  2016-11-02    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  gadget

Created:  2016-11-01    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  hsverin

Created:  2017-02-10    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Ray Sidney-Smith

Created:  2016-12-21    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  URamsing

Created:  2016-12-20    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  santander

Created:  2016-12-12    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  sail

Created:  2016-12-11    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  dsblox

Created:  2016-11-17    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  ChiragC

Created:  2016-11-16    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Helejo

Created:  2016-11-15    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  GLondon

The new key command to move notes to the business side of my account works well.

However, before I found that, I saw that I can choose business notebooks using the Control + Command + M command (all notebooks are appearing....I like this). But, when I move notes that way, it doesn't work. It looks like it will work but instead the interface just spins on sync and the notes don't move. Seems that either there is a bug with moving them, or the bug is that the business notebooks are showing under the Control+Command+M command (without adding the option key). Again, when I add the option key, it works.

Archived