Tile view with images

icliptv

The Evernote TILE VIEW made it possible to leverage my robust human visual system to search and recall all kinds of notes out of the 5,000 I have. In Jan, they got rid of that view. Why?

In my view, Silicon Valley is filled with hubris and ego. New product managers always want to make a bold statement. They want to make a change. They make up some excuse and test it out on a few people.

But I have something on my side. A cog psych degree, and the knowledge that our human visual processing system is over half of our brain and by far the most sophisticated and advanced system of our human senses.

I could scroll through literally hundreds of research pieces, articles, or other things I'd saved in a matter of a few minutes. It felt like a miracle to me the first time I realized this. Evernote basically improved my memory and productivity by a factor of 10 or 100x based on this single feature alone.

Now I just found out on Jan 18 they got rid of that view. WHY? It is just stunning to me. Now all I get is basically exactly what I had with Dropbox or Google drive.

I am now going to have to figure out how to export all 5,000 of my notes. What a terrible development. Thanks for nothing Evernote.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, icliptv said:

In my view, Silicon Valley is filled with hubris and ego.

I'm not going to spend much time on the "why"; I don't have a cog psych degree

Bad things happen to good people

Have you looked the options for the note list?

------------------

Two psychiatrists passed each other in the hall and said Hello
As they carried on, each had the same thought - I wonder what he meant by that

• Level 5
On 2/3/2017 at 5:37 PM, icliptv said:

The Evernote TILE VIEW made it possible to leverage my robust human visual system to search and recall all kinds of notes out of the 5,000 I have. In Jan, they got rid of that view. Why?

In my view, Silicon Valley is filled with hubris and ego. New product managers always want to make a bold statement. They want to make a change. They make up some excuse and test it out on a few people.

But I have something on my side. A cog psych degree, and the knowledge that our human visual processing system is over half of our brain and by far the most sophisticated and advanced system of our human senses.

I could scroll through literally hundreds of research pieces, articles, or other things I'd saved in a matter of a few minutes. It felt like a miracle to me the first time I realized this. Evernote basically improved my memory and productivity by a factor of 10 or 100x based on this single feature alone.

Now I just found out on Jan 18 they got rid of that view. WHY? It is just stunning to me. Now all I get is basically exactly what I had with Dropbox or Google drive.

I am now going to have to figure out how to export all 5,000 of my notes. What a terrible development. Thanks for nothing Evernote.

At the top of the Note List panel, click on the little down arrow to the left of the search box to get the dialog with a selection of views for the Note List. One of these is Thumbnail View, which produces a list like that in the screenshot below. Note the controls at the bottom of the list: you can have from 1 to 4 columns, zoom in and out, and (from the gear icon) choose whether to display the note titles and other info.

I find this pretty visually searchable, but of course that's highly subjective. If this (or one of the other available views) does not meet your needs, then no doubt you are totally justified in your berating of Evernote's creators, and should certainly spend the time to take the 5,000 notes elsewhere. If it does meet your needs, well.....

Notes list - thumbnails.JPG

First, thanks for the funny, calming supportive comments. Second, the craziest thing, after spending time on this with the support analyst a week ago, this morning I fired up Evernote Mac version on another of my computers and voila, the tile view was there. So now I can't even remember maybe it was the web app that got rid of the tile view? Anyhow maybe the support guy should've just told me to use the desktop app? I'm confused. My cog psych degree is letting me down.

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-15 at 2:24 AM, Alexander Kronstein said:

So how can I get the tile view on Evernote for iPad?

We lost this feature in v8

Not clear if it was intended; we're waiting to see if it gets rectified

The only other solution is to downgrade your software

• Level 5*
On 2/15/2017 at 3:24 AM, Alexander Kronstein said:

So how can I get the tile view on Evernote for iPad?

The closest you can get is to select Medium view and display images and/or body text.  More of a Snippet view even then.

• 1 year later...

It's frustrating that we can't count on feature sticking around.  I was just trying to decide if I could commit to using Evernote for all my document storage, but I would need this tile feature.  And now it may disappear...

Archived