Evernote v8.0.4 for iOS Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

Thank you for your continued feedback. We released v8.0.4 this morning with performance improvements, fixes for top crashing issues, and a fix for some notes not loading in the note editor.

What's fixed in 8.0.4:

• Performance improvements with note loading
  • Some notes that would appear as blank will now load
  • Crash on launch observed by some users - due to issues with some saved searches
  • Crash when viewing a PDF on iPad and rotating the device - we have an updated PDF viewer that fixes this issue
  • Crash when submitting a support ticket

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

P.S. We continue to troubleshoot the prompt for App Store sign-in issue that some users are seeing.

Just now, DTLow said:

I prefer the Mac platform where there is a clear beta period and releases are clearly identified.  User's specify if they wish to participate in beta testing

Inadequate response and irrelevant to discussion in the iOS forum.

hace 11 minutos, mdd16 dijo:

Well.. EN can choose to think that there is just this small band of 8-10-20-100 people who come and make noise here.  This is not the real mass of public which is paying and making EN as rich as it is.  Whether it is a short window of opportunity to stay afloat may be debatable.. Clever strategic planning can make a company and product survive and thrive despite product being far from perfect.. Microsoft has stayed .. seems like forever.

But feeling the due responsibility towards a paying customer is a matter of emotional make up of a person, which collectively eventually becomes the culture of a company.  How a company wants to connect with its customer is entirely a matter of choice that needs to be well established early and firmly.

I have always been delighted by Apple's support.  My MBP has been out of warranty for nearly 2 years now and I have not covered it in extended warranty, and yet if I make an online request for a support call, they have never refused to be with me for hours on phone to solve my issues.  Recently also they patiently worked with me on live chat to resolve the questions I had regarding iCloud storage.  They just charge me Less than 12.00 Dollars a year and yet give me personal care that makes me loyal to them in return. Companies that invest in confidence of customer go a long way in keeping their future strong and progress steady. Customer care is like religious faith, you may choose to have it or not, life will go on with our without.

I can assure you that what you say about Apple is like this. They even assisted me for almost two hours ... AND IT WAS NOT TO SOLVE A PROBLEM MINE! The problem that I had to solve, was the problem of a friend of mine with the synchronization of his new iPhone. My Macbook Pro, like yours, was out of warranty and they were also assisting me so that I, in turn, could help my friend. They continue to assist me AS ON THE FIRST DAY. And I am not a local user, from USA, but a distant user from Latin America, from Argentina.

It is also very true what you say about the amount of EN users that we complain about here. Although I hold this forum, I think they think: "We have 80 million users, only 300 are complained. We really do not care, they are very few, better we open a forum and let them complain without censoring them. We can simultaneously say that we care about their complaints and their suggestions.It is a good marketing campaign. "

I agree 100% with everything you wrote. Thank you for expressing it so clearly.

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-09 at 6:32 PM, hernanballesteros said:

EN can choose to think

edited: @hernanballesteros was actually quoting @mdd16  I apologize for the confusion

On 2017-02-09 at 6:32 PM, hernanballesteros said:

I think they think

Well I think that they think that you think that .......;)

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Well I think that they think that you think that .......;)

☺ Well .. I don't think that they care about, what we think.. EN is already too big to care.. 

I am watching out on Zoho Notebook.. a great software.. only missing thing is the Notebook sharing feature.. They promise they are working on it.. once that is in.. I am out of EN.

hace 32 minutos, DTLow dijo:

EN can choose to think

You're lying ... I did not write that. What I wrote and what you mocked, is a conjecture mine, I must admit, which is based on the "improvements" that appear with each new update of EN and it seems that does not solve NONE of the user's claims of EN. Then, perhaps, if I write it this way, it can be understood better. "I understand that they think in this way". Do you now understand what I mean or is it still unclear?

hace 2 horas, DTLow dijo:

Do you have any feedback on v8.0.4?

No. Fortunately, I have no comment to make on this version. Luckily, I was able to upgrade to version 7.18.1. I made several comments until version 8.0.2; But then I did not do it, because I started using version 7.18.1. But I could make those comments since, because of my work, I need to buy an iPod and maybe I could install that version to see how it works. I doubt that it does, because from what I read, the problems FOLLOW THE SAME. Anyway, that does not prevent me from evaluating the comments expressed here and being able to express myself about those comments, since I am a Premium user of EN and I continue to keep my subscription without hesitation for a moment to continue doing it now and in the future. Finally, I have the right to express my complaints (other users have done so without specifically commenting on this latest version of EN) about the care EN provides to its clients and about the quality of this same care. I have that right, of course; especially, because NEVER the EN count on Twitter answered NONE ONLY from my comments. They did not respond NEVER, so they, unintentionally, help me to GUESS how they work, even though I do not have concrete evidence to support my criticisms, apart from their obvious lack of attention to these (and continue to be) problems.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, hernanballesteros said:

Finally, I have the right to express my complaints (other users have done so without specifically commenting on this latest version of EN)

Of course you do; there's a general discussion forum at https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/53-evernote-general-discussions/

This discussion is about feedback on the 8.0.4 release, but you're also welcome to start a new discussion in this forum (IOS Feedback) https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/215-ios-product-feedback/

Oh-my!

From iPad mini and iPhone 7:

• How many times do I have to login to iTunes?
  • How many times do I need to be told EN cannot sync?
  • How slow and laggy since v8?
  • Worst of all you have hidden the bullet and bullet-indent buttons!  I now need three clicks instead of one.  When you are trying to type with even a modicum of speed it is essential to have these on-screen with the keyboard.  Even using the short-cut *-key to create a bullet is four clicks!   please, Please, PLEASE put this back on the main keyboard.  ...or put a tab-key on the keyboard!

EN has gone from a real-time note-taking productivity tool to a time-suck pain in the butt.  Fix the bugs and put the buttons back where I can use them PLEASE.

• Level 5*

A couple of things relative to search:

1. When you press the magnifying glass for search the resultant screen does not have a tag icon to press.  Why not?
  2. When you swipe down the notes view there is a tag icon to press.  However when you are done selecting your tags, you have to press the Done icon twice.  Why would that be?
21 hours ago, andrew miller said:

App Store login thing is really irksome. Its persistence and lack of clarity on what it's about and how/when it will get fixed does little to inspire confidence. 

I have sought out this forum to seek information on and complain about the iCloud prompt. Please resolve or I'll seek an alternative. As a paying user I expect a higher level of service. 

I love the new app design, but I miss having the sync status button on the home page. I like knowing at a glance if my notes have synced recently and the ability to force a sync easily is the one thing I miss from the previous design. To force a sync on iOS now, I have to navigate to the settings menu. Any plans to at least give users the option to bring the sync button back on the home page?

EN has  goofed up..Removed features / hidden buttons, in the name of simplifying the layout. But look at the positive side, they want you to have more interaction with EN .. More user enagagement = Better future of EN

I dont like the buttons of app..on all sides in ipad.. Some buttons on top, some on left, some at the bottom .. Is not something we are used to .. but EN will change us.. will change what we like ..

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, theinspired615 said:

I like knowing at a glance if my notes have synced recently

fwiw  Notes now have a sync indicator on the title, IMG_1556.PNG.93d1657bbff29337bc7fb579c045794f.PNG
an arrow on the upper right corner.  

I view my notes in update date sequence so these notes are at the top of the list

On 2/9/2017 at 7:53 PM, mdd16 said:

Wow.. that reeks of arrogance.

Time will tell whether Evernote is because of customers or the other way around.

The coercive efforts to force the "lack of EN response" aspect of the 8.0.x release should be ignored. Such bullying tactics are more about bluster than anything else.

The paucity of response _is_ relevant on this forum, precisely because it is a noteworthy aspect of the 8.0.x release. No one here is complaining about "general" unresponsiveness. It's EN's invisibility in the _current_ release that is a significant aspect of some people's frustration. And shepherding those comments to a general forum or to private messages is blatant censorship.

This forum is a place for new, and prospective EN users to see the technical shortcomings of this release as judged by EN's many long-time customers. But that new audience also deserves to hear about the support shortcomings from users familiar with a long EN relationship.

There's no way to separate a release's features, bugs, support and user response.  They all deserve attention, not stifling.

1 hour ago, iamhondo dijo:

The coercive efforts to force the "lack of EN response" aspect of the 8.0.x release should be ignored. Such bullying tactics are more about bluster than anything else.

The paucity of response _is_ relevant on this forum, precisely because it is a noteworthy aspect of the 8.0.x release. No one here is complaining about "general" unresponsiveness. It's EN's invisibility in the _current_ release that is a significant aspect of some people's frustration. And shepherding those comments to a general forum or to private messages is blatant censorship.

This forum is a place for new, and prospective EN users to see the technical shortcomings of this release as judged by EN's many long-time customers. But that new audience also deserves to hear about the support shortcomings from users familiar with a long EN relationship.

There's no way to separate a release's features, bugs, support and user response.  They all deserve attention, not stifling.

Bravo. ???

On 2017-02-10 at 5:11 PM, theinspired615 said:

I love the new app design, but I miss having the sync status button on the home page. I like knowing at a glance if my notes have synced recently and the ability to force a sync easily is the one thing I miss from the previous design. To force a sync on iOS now, I have to navigate to the settings menu. Any plans to at least give users the option to bring the sync button back on the home page?

I like most of the new design as well.  On my iOS devices notes that have not been synced have a green dog-ear with an arrow.  I don't have to navigate to the setting menu to force a sync, I just have to drag my finger downward on the note or a list of notes. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, rolands6 said:

Can't filter anymore on tags/labels like #2015 or #2016: they do not appear in my tags-list. However, I can add these existing tags to notes.

IMG_1572.PNG.ffc70c97e450321e11261cd78cfcd9cd.PNG

I just created a note and added tag #2015

When I went to my tag filter, #2015 was in the list

>>btw: how do I create a new label on ipad?

Tag?

Adding tags is done at the note level.  
Click on the info icon then click on Add Tag

IMG_1571.PNG.770db99edddd2527e5c6730ba6293cf0.PNG

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

IMG_1572.PNG.ffc70c97e450321e11261cd78cfcd9cd.PNG

I just created a note and added tag #2015

When I went to my tag filter, #2015 was in the list

>>btw: how do I create a new label on ipad?

Tag?

Adding tags is done at the note level.  
Click on the info icon then click on Add Tag

IMG_1571.PNG.770db99edddd2527e5c6730ba6293cf0.PNG

You are right, sorry.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Dmitry Mi said:

EN  start buying paid review in the AppStore.... I don't understand it. Company doing really strange things.

What part don't you understand?

The ratings were negative with the v8 release; a knee-jerk reaction to the number of bugs found
However, the issues are being cleaned up, possibly causing more positive reviews

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

What part don't you understand?

The ratings went down with the v8 release; a knee-jerk reaction to the number of bugs found
However, the issues are being cleaned up

I'd wonder about the total amount of reviews; I'd expect that to remain at the same level

I'm just wondering what kind of job you do in the real life ?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, cargoblues said:

I'm just wondering what kind of job you do in the real life ?

Off topic, but I'm a retired computer programmer.  I'm currently working on contract testing/reviewing software upgrades, including the Evernote Application

41 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Off topic, but I'm a retired computer programmer.  I'm currently working on contract testing/reviewing software upgrades, including the Evernote Application

It would seem to me this is extremely on topic. In essence, some of our criticism is direct criticism of you, and that has to be tiring to read over and over again. I understand some of your frustration now. 

I guess I would say it this way: hear us. Those of us who built our workflows around Evernote have found the 8.0.x upgrade extremely damaging. Features that many of us used frequently have been removed. We now have an interface that devotes substantial real estate to five buttons, and an interface that makes designers cringe when they look at it on an ipad with a data connection. 

The day I accidentally updated my ipad to 8.0 I found myself paralyzed in meetings. I couldn't get the information I needed. Things didn't work and I was seriously compromised. By version 8.0.4 the app kinda works, but it's still slower and not as good as 7.x while not perceivably better in any way, shape or form. Ultimately I spent hours researching other options and then hours moving to another product, All because whoever you work for didn't allow the time for people like yourself to do the work necessary to properly test the app. 

Weeks to get to "kinda works" is simply not ok for a professional product. This isn't a game that is buggy with a bunch of complaining teenagers for customers. This is something we use(d) all day every day for our livelihoods. Of course we are going to be upset. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Uncle Bob said:

In essence, some of our criticism is direct criticism of you, and that has to be tiring to read over and over again. I understand some of your frustration now. 

Just to be clear, I am not an employee of Evernote; my employers are completely separate companies.  
We are all users here

I never considered the criticism directed towards me
I can't get into the "Evernote is bad" posts though; they are tiresome

I simply do my testing, and post if I discover any issues.  I also have to prepare a report of what got changed

When I consider the release stable, I will probably upgrade my work device.  For now, I'm using a testing iPad

4 hours ago, Uncle Bob said:

It would seem to me this is extremely on topic. In essence, some of our criticism is direct criticism of you, and that has to be tiring to read over and over again. I understand some of your frustration now. 

I guess I would say it this way: hear us. Those of us who built our workflows around Evernote have found the 8.0.x upgrade extremely damaging. Features that many of us used frequently have been removed. We now have an interface that devotes substantial real estate to five buttons, and an interface that makes designers cringe when they look at it on an ipad with a data connection. 

The day I accidentally updated my ipad to 8.0 I found myself paralyzed in meetings. I couldn't get the information I needed. Things didn't work and I was seriously compromised. By version 8.0.4 the app kinda works, but it's still slower and not as good as 7.x while not perceivably better in any way, shape or form. Ultimately I spent hours researching other options and then hours moving to another product, All because whoever you work for didn't allow the time for people like yourself to do the work necessary to properly test the app. 

Weeks to get to "kinda works" is simply not ok for a professional product. This isn't a game that is buggy with a bunch of complaining teenagers for customers. This is something we use(d) all day every day for our livelihoods. Of course we are going to be upset. 

I completely agree with what is mentioned in this post. I have myself gone through embarrassing situations because of glitches of EN..

Our relationship with and therefore our reactions about EN are solely dependent on how EN works for us.. Of course someone can take a very soft view and say EN does so many good things too, why are people only focusing on and cursing about problematic issues only... well those are the dialogues we hear / use in an argument with our spouses.. which EN is not..

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Mdd said:

I have myself gone through embarrassing situations because of glitches of EN..

It would be wonderful if there were no glitches in Evernote or in our devices.

I can't guarantee that won't happen.  
In fact I'm sure there's a law of nature that says there will be glitches

The best I can do is try to minimize the impact to me.

Some examples:

1. I have backups in place.  Regardless of what happens with Evernote, I have access to my notes
  2. I have automatic backups turned off.  I  update my software only after I have read the reviews and I know the issues
13 hours ago, DTLow said:

I have automatic backups turned off.  I  update my software only after I have read the reviews and I know the issues

10 hours ago, humanengr said:

Not a viable strategy for most customers or for EN.

But it *is* the most reliable approach to avoid loss of data and/or functionality. Early adoption of EN rollouts comes with inherent risk, as has been proven again by v8.x.

• Level 5*

I have been using EN everyday on Windows and IOS for the last seven years.  It is instrumental in me being paperless and more productive.  I am a strong proponent of the software as well.

Yet, the reason I have auto update turned off on my iPhone is because of EN.  I just can't trust the quality so I take the hit on my iPad.  This also lets me see the functional shrinkage that may occur, worst ever with v8 in my view.

Anyway, Windows is fine, I get on those betas quickly.  But not IOS.  Shouldn't have to be this way.  IOS apps that hit the app store aren't supposed to be betas after all, they are supposed to be public ready.  And now I'm developing the workarounds to use this less efficient, function poorer version on IOS.  Maybe EN should start thinking like a doctor and adopt a do no harm philosophy.  /end of rant

6 hours ago, PaperQueen said:

But it *is* the most reliable approach to avoid loss of data and/or functionality. Early adoption of EN rollouts comes with inherent risk, as has been proven again by v8.x.

It is not reliable for the population of users. It is wrong to expect users to do this.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, humanengr said:

It is wrong to expect users to do this.

I started this with my ideas on how to minimize "glitches" impacting me

You may be right, but that's not the point
My point is for you to protect yourself.

Yes, Evernote issued v8.0 that had bugs and features removed.  
The only people who should have upgraded are those willing to go through the testing process.  
The majority of users should have waited for v8.1 or don't upgrade at all

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

The only people who should have upgraded are those willing to go through the testing process.  
The majority of users should have waited for v8.1 or not upgrade at all

These are naive and harmful statements. By placing the onus on users and not on EN, it gives EN a pass on quality to no good end. Please stop.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, humanengr said:

These are naive and harmful statements. By placing the onus on users and not on EN, it gives EN a pass on quality to no good end. Please stop.

No one is giving passes, or placing onus, or placing quality assurance responsibility or shifting responsibility

My intent is to encourage users to protect themselves by turning off auto update
I will not stop

Why do you think these are "naive and harmful statements"?

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

By your own statement, the testing process was not complete before 8.0 was released.

17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

No one is giving passes or placing onus.

You are, by placing quality assurance responsibility on users rather than EN and beta testers.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, humanengr said:

By your own statement, the testing process was not complete before 8.0 was released.

Yes, we got the message ....  Evernote is B A D

>>You are, by placing quality assurance responsibility on users rather than EN and beta testers.

And I repeat, no one is giving passes, or placing onus, or placing quality assurance responsibility or shifting responsibility.  My intent is to encourage users to protect themselves by turning off auto update

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, we got the message ....  Evernote is B A D

On 2/9/2017 at 6:08 PM, csihilling said:

@DTLow has his own opinions and way with words …

Apparently not in reading or writing. That is in no way shape or form what I said.

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My intent is to encourage users to protect themselves by turning off auto update

Again, shifting responsibility.

You just don't get it. 

Claiming that a large user base should avoid updates is laughably absurd. I have auto updates off. An accidental brush of "update all" doomed me. 

BUT that is irrelevant. THE ENTIRE REASON AUTO UPDATE IS A THING IS THAT IOS APPS SHOULD JUST WORK. 

So, yes, Evernote is bad. Whoever said 8.0 was ready for release should be fired. 

And it's not my fault that Evernote shipped a non working product. It's not my fault they removed features I paid for. The only blame I deserve is for trusting Evernote with such important data. A mistake I am no longer making as I canceled my premium membership and moved on. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Bob said:

You just don't get it. 

Claiming that a large user base should avoid updates is laughably absurd. …

THE ENTIRE REASON AUTO UPDATE IS A THING IS THAT IOS APPS SHOULD JUST WORK. 

Exactly.

No other iOS app gets such a pass.

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

Such encouragement requires users to expend more effort because of an app's poor quality assurance (updating apps individually, monitoring forums, …); fosters habits at EN that further this trend; drives customers to other products; and degrades the whole platform.

Naive and harmful, @DTLow

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, humanengr said:

Naive and harmful, 

Did we not learn anything from an automatic upgrade to v8.0  The software had serious bugs; features were no longer available

-----------------------

We've heard the opinions, and I'm done with trying to protect users from v8.0

Evernote has released v8.1 and it seems a more stable release.  Not much negative feedback but be aware that features were removed in v8, for example Presentation Mode

5 minutes ago, humanengr said:

Note the lack of 1) apology for past behavior and 2) commitment to refrain from doing same for future releases.

Unfair. DTLow is not an Evernote employee, just an active user with much EN experience. I am grateful for insights he is sharing with us.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, humanengr said:

Note the lack of 1) apology for past behavior and 2) commitment to refrain from doing same for future releases.

I will be continuing my posts to protect users from issues in future releases, and I welcome such posts from other users.

No apologies for this

Seems that the reason there is "Not much negative feedback" for v8.1 is that most of the previous complaints still stand. Frustrating that EN are calling this v8.1 and adding features when the app is still in such a broken state.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Ben P said:

Seems that the reason there is "Not much negative feedback" for v8.1 is that most of the previous complaints still stand.

You might want to post the the v8.1 release feedback discussion
I'm also trying to maintain a post about remaining issues so they don't get forgotten

I still think user's are better served getting off v8.0 and upgrading to v8.1

@DTLow, you didn't respond to

6 hours ago, humanengr said:

Such encouragement requires users to expend more effort because of an app's poor quality assurance (updating apps individually, monitoring forums, …); fosters habits at EN that further this trend; drives customers to other products; and degrades the whole platform.

because you can't.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, humanengr said:

@DTLow, you didn't respond to

because you can't.

>>Such encouragement requires users to expend more effort because of an app's poor quality assurance (updating apps individually, monitoring forums, …)

Yes, it requires more effort

I think it's worth the effort to protect my use of the software

>>fosters habits at EN that .....

I have no insight into this but I sincerely doubt that my efforts at safe computing are impacting habits at EN

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

...My point is for you to protect yourself.

Yes, Evernote issued v8.0 that had bugs and features removed.  

Wow. How can anyone suggest that a ".0" version of a product is the equivalent of a "beta", or "alpha" or "pre-release"? A ".0" release indicates functional modifications to a piece of software. It's not a free pass for terrible quality control and feeble testing. Beta releases, alpha releases, and pre-releases have warnings built into their name so you can -- as you said -- "protect yourself". A ".0" release implies that it IS the safe, tested, ready-for-prime-time version of a product. A responsible vendor goes out of their way to distinguish their "not ready" software from "ready" software. It's a rude cover-up to blame the users for the misrepresentations and carelessness of a vendor.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, iamhondo said:

How can anyone suggest that a ".0" version of a product is the equivalent of a "beta", or "alpha" or "pre-release

My experience is that the .0 version of products and software tend to have more bugs than later versions.  I am cautious when upgrading 

The .1 versions tend to be more stable

>>It's a rude cover-up to blame the users for the misrepresentations and carelessness of a vendor

Yes, that would be very rude and unfair

As I said, you can't:

On 2/15/2017 at 11:48 AM, DTLow said:

I think it's worth the effort to protect your use of the software

This responds to one requirement -- not the requirements as a set (much less the broader context previously stated).

On 2/15/2017 at 11:48 AM, DTLow said:

I think it's worth the effort to protect my use of the software

>>fosters habits at EN that .....

I have no insight into this but I sincerely doubt that my efforts at safe computing are impacting habits at EN

Aah … I see that after our PM conversation you edited your note: from 'your' to 'my' in the first part and added the second part.

As I said earlier:

On 2/9/2017 at 6:55 PM, humanengr said:

On occasion you post helpfully. …

But the effect of telling others, e.g.:

On 2/14/2017 at 3:19 PM, DTLow said:

is contra the interests of community of users when considered as a whole, and EN (and Apple) in the long run.

[I've edited the above in consideration of the PM conversation you initiated.

Perhaps we can make further progress there and more completely resolve the issues.]

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, richardsites said:

Just installed EN on my new iPhone and discovered the crash on launch bug.  This forum is awash with this issue yet EN says it is fixed.  I followed all their instructions to no avail.

You might want to upgrade to v8.1

The majority of users found the issue had been fixed

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, richardsites said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just installed EN from the App store so isn't this the latest version?  If not, how do I upgrade since the program won't stay open??

The current version in the App Store is v8.1

This discussion you're posting in is v8.0.4

Archived