Importing notebooks through PDF

Hope this is the proper forum.  Posted this (I think) an 2-3 hrs ago but don't see it.  Searched here but can't find the answer.

I have an Outlook database with 8 folders - some containing hundreds of notes.  Want to import them to EN.  I found a topic (79594-how-to-import-notes-into-evernote-from-a-csv-file/) which converts Outlook Notes to CSV, moves them to PDF (one note per page), and imports from PDF to an EN notebook (I think).  I have a PDF containing 136 pages.  At this point, the topic states " Extract the notes using a PDF editor, this should get you" one PDF for every page  Can't find how to do this.

How do I turn a 136 page PDF into 136 PDFs?  Secondly, I see these two sentences . . . " If you don't necessarily want to edit the notes once they (PDFs) are in EN:," and "if you do want to edit them you can do it as the need arises."   Will imported PDFs be editable or not?

Or, if easier, how do I import csv into a notebook?

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, required_username said:

I have an Outlook database with 8 folders - some containing hundreds of notes.  Want to import them to EN

I'm not an Outlook user but the first thing I'd look at are the export options in Outlook.  I'd want actual files, not a csv summary

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I'm not an Outlook user but the first thing I'd look at are the export options in Outlook.  I'd want actual files, not a csv summary

Not certain I understand.  I have multiple folders containing multiple notes.  I have converted one folder into PDF consisting of 136 pages (notes).

As far as options in Outlook, best I can tell, they are CSV (DOS), CSV (Windows), TSV (DOS), TSV (Windows), Access (97-2003), Excel (97-22003).

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, required_username said:

Not certain I understand.  I have multiple folders containing multiple notes.  I have converted one folder into PDF consisting of 136 pages (notes).

OK, lets work with the PDF file.  There are lots of editors available to split PDF files.

I also found an online resource at http://www.splitpdf.com/

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

OK, lets work with the PDF file.  There are lots of editors available to split PDF files.

I also found an online resource at http://www.splitpdf.com/

OUTSTANDING.  Now have the individual notes in EN.  One last problem and I HOPE it's addressable.  Let's say the Notebook name in EN is "Famous quotes."  I have 136 notes in that notebook imported from a PDF file.  Notes have a title of "quotes1.136," "quotes2.136," incremented.  I was hoping for the text in the 1st field, say, John Adams, to be the title so I could sort by title name.  Any chance in the world there's a way to do this?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, required_username said:

I was hoping for the text in the 1st field, say, John Adams, to be the title so I could sort by title name.

I know of no method to work with the first lines  in PDF files

Back to the file split, if you knew pages a-b were John Adams quotes, some of the editors give you the option to name the files accordingly

This is getting a little annoying, but before I start, I must admit I know very little about programming.

Since EN is apparently a database, seems to me any halfway decent programmer could write a script moving a CSV into EN with little effort.  Thus, assuming an open CSV file with one record per row,

Dim Note As Range
Open a new NoteBook in EN.
Popup to Enter Notebook name
For Each Note In Range("A2:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End.Row + 1)
    Note.PageBreak = xlPageBreakManual
Create New Note (Evernote)
Copy A1 as Title
Copy A2 as content
Next Note
End Sub

I know that's oversimplified, but the script isn't difficult for any EN programmer.  I find it fascinating there is no such program/script for importing anything other than OneNote.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, required_username said:

I find it fascinating there is no such program/script for importing anything other than OneNote.

I dont think you have many scripting options in Windows

If your notes don't contain confidential information; could you share your csv file?  I could easily parse the file on my Mac and share the notes back to you

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, required_username said:

Try this    forum.csv

forum.enex

It was easy code until you had "," in the data
I added code to remove the " , and then put back the , afterwards

The base code is

set file_Path to "/Users/david/Desktop/forum.csv"

set file_Ref to open for access file_Path                           <<<<  Retrieve Data

set file_Contents to (read file_Ref)

close access file_Path

set old_Delims to AppleScript's text item delimiters              <<<<  Parse Lines

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {(ASCII character 10)}

set record_Lines to every text item of file_Contents

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to old_Delims

repeat with record_Line in record_Lines

if record_Line > {} then

set record_Line to my find_Escaped(record_Line)

set old_Delims to AppleScript's text item delimiters          <<<<  Parse Columns

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ","

set line_Columns to every text item of record_Line

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to old_Delims

set note_Title to item 1 of line_Columns                          <<<<  Note Title

set note_Title to Replace_Comma(note_Title, "&#" & "44;", ",")

set note_Contents to item 2 of line_Columns                   <<<<  Note Contents

set note_Contents to Replace_Comma(note_Contents, "&#" & "44;", ",")

tell application "Evernote"                                                <<<<  Create Note

set new_Note to (create note with text note_Contents title note_Title notebook "Filing?")

end tell

end if

end repeat

Very good. First, I'm on a W8 PC - no Mac, if that matters.  Second, added Sub x() and End Sub as required by Excel Debug (I'm guessing I run this as an Excel macro).  Last, changed your " /Users/david/Desktop/forum.csv" to " /Users/myname/Desktop/forum.csv,"  with this line causing a syntax error.

If this works, you are THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, required_username said:

First, I'm on a W8 PC - no Mac, if that matters.

Sorry, the scripting is Mac only (AppleScript)
You need a friendly Mac user to run it

Archived