PDF Display and annotation on EvernoteWeb OR linux desktop client

HumbleAmbition

Idea

I'd really appreciate the awesome PDF features that are on the desktop clients on EvernoteWeb.

(preferably on the "old" version where it still looks like the windows evernote desktop - the new version is so much more cumbersome to use and creates multiple copies of my notes everytime it refreshes... but that's a separate issue)

I have been a premium member for years and my main box needs to be linux. I can use a Windows box and all the nice premium features for evernote desktop sometimes, but that's not always possible, and I totally don't get my money's worth when I'm using EvernoteWeb. None of the Linux clones of the evernote desktop have the PDF viewing, searching and annotating features that the Windows one has.

Now that you're basically Google, surely there are enough resources to either:

a) give the linux premium users the same EvernoteDesktop that Windows and Mac get, or

b), Make a "Premium EvernoteWeb" that has the same PDF etc features.

Thanks

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, HumbleAmbition said:

Now that you're basically Google

Nope - Evernote,  like CocaCola, Spotify, Ocado, SnapChat, Philips, and Wix,  use Google Cloud (Not the same outfit as Google Search) instead of running their own server farms.  Evernote is still Evernote.  They (all) have access to Google's expertise if they want it,  and are willing to pay.  They don't have access to Google's cash.  Or their resources.

I have been using the pdf annotation editor in EN on iOS for many years now.  With the v8 release, the annotation editor is very buggy.  When you add text to a pdf it is displayed bold with a black outline.  Once you click Save, it turns into a grey blur and is completely unreadable. I attach a sample below. I am running the newest 8.0.4 on a brand new iPad Pro with iOS 10.2.1.  I have no issues with the Windows app and annotation, but I use EN to take notes in meetings and the annotation feature was a big part of the value for me.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Is there any way to change the text format in the annotation to be just plain, simple text?

I can't express in polite terms how much I despise the new v8.  So many bugs, so many useful features busted.  Seriously, it is a note taking and organizing app that allows you to sort notes by title but no longer offers the alphabet index so you can jump to notes with titles starting with T.  You have to scroll through all the (very slow loading thumbnails of) notes to get there.  Pathetic.

Really. Pathetic.

annocation clip.jpg

14 hours ago, gazumped said:

They don't have access to Google's cash.  Or their resources.

Fine. I didn't understand (or look into) the details properly and clearly had too much hope...

Meh, do you know if there are any plans for better PDF management and search on the Web client then?

Or whether there's some plan to at least survey how many Linux users would pay for a properly done Desktop client? 

• Level 5*

Meh, do you know if there are any plans for better PDF management and search on the Web client then?

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2016/10/17/bringing-micro-services-to-the-client-side-project-ion-and-micro-components

There's a new(er) version of the web app under development - beta launch date unknown,  but alleged to be sometime in the first half of 2017...

how many Linux users would pay for a properly done Desktop client? 

About 10% of the ones who say they will when surveyed?  Despite popular belief to the contrary Evernote do supposedly get lots of customer feedback on what features they should be concentrating on for development.  They'll prioritise the ones that promise the most financially beneficial outcomes.  Unless and until the community of customers providing feedback includes more linux users I'd guess that polishing existing services will have much more priority than new operating systems. 

Developing a new client has to be a major leap in the dark no matter how voluble some users get.  Don't see a company that's under a lot of scrutiny at present taking any unnecessary risks...

I want an Evernote linux desktop. Professional developers use this platform and would like to see an installer for it.

If there is something I can do to help make this come to life, please let me know on my Github->https://github.com/gnubyte/
I can perhaps use TK Interface and the Evernote API to build a native client in linux that would scale accordingly.

Thanks,

Archived