Sync error on a new installation

Hi,

I installed Evernote on a new computer and I get a sync error near to the end of the synchronization.

On another computer, I can see that I have 5253 notes. On the new computer, it stops at 5176, with the red exclamation mark on the sync button.

It didn't sync the shortcuts, and probaly some other notes but I don't know whitch one.

I tried the Ctrl-Clic trick but it doesn't show anything. I think that it is normal as the guilty note is probably on the server side.

The log doesn't help much as you can see below :

18:03:54 [10276] 100% * guid={50c2795b-26c3-402f-88be-b0092730bd88}
18:04:09 [10276] 100% Submitting a batch of 85 note calls, size=194 KB
18:04:14 [8600] 100% Connecting account xxxxxxxxx
18:04:14 [12448] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
18:04:14 [12448] * elapsed time: 13m 48s
18:04:14 [12448] * 282 items received
18:05:40 [6956] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2017/01/31 18:00:00

On the other computer, everything is OK and syncs perfectly.

What can I do to find out the guilty note ?

Thanks for your help.

Patrick

• Level 5*

Not sure of a quick way.  

Workaround:  This make take a little time so I would do it if you can't find another way.  Since you are only 77 notes off:

1. Add a temp tag, Temp, on all the notes in the new install.
  2. Sync.
  3. Sync the old install.
  4. Do a -tag:Temp search to see the notes that haven't synced.
  5. At this point you can look at the 77 and see if there is anything that stands out.

If nothing does stand out, then the below, though painful, should help you identify any notes with issues.

1. Move them to a local notebook.
  2. Sync.the old install
  3. Move the notes back to their notebooks in say groups of 10
  4. Sync the old install
  5. Sync the new install
  6. If it works back to the old install and repeat with 10 more notes.
  7. If it didn't work, one of the 10 is the culprit, use the same process to find it.

FWIW.

Thanks a lot for your ideas.

I tried the first one (with the temp tag) but it didn't work :

After I synchronised the old installation, I got only 270 notes having the Temp tag! No idea why...

I finally decided to copy the Evernote Database directory from the old computer to the new one and that worked!

But, actually, I am not totally satisfied because I still don't know why it didn't synchronised, and I am not 100% sure that everything will be OK in the future with that installation.

Patrick

• Level 5*

You are welcome, sorry it didn't work to plan.  You may have cause for concern relative to the install.  The Temp tag should have synced to the 5173 notes, not really sure why that would not have happened.  Does what you see on the web version match to your 5253 notes?

IAC, to reset, you might consider recreating your data base from the server.  Sign out of EN, move your EXB file to the desktop, and then sign back into EN.  This will force a recreation of your data base.  If you have any local notebooks you need to export them to ENEX format first, then import them after the recreate is complete.  

Just checked the web version.

Actually I have 5255 notes on local (made some changes since the first post) and only 5233 on the web side. It seems that some local notes aren't sent to the server.

First, I would like to try your temp tag trick from the server side, but do you know of a way to add the same tag on all notes on the web version?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Emphyrio said:

Just checked the web version.

Actually I have 5255 notes on local (made some changes since the first post) and only 5233 on the web side. It seems that some local notes aren't sent to the server.

First, I would like to try your temp tag trick from the server side, but do you know of a way to add the same tag on all notes on the web version?

Nope, mass tag add on the web version is really not possible.  Do you have any local notebooks that would account for the difference in note counts? 

1. First I would compare note counts by notebook to see if you can isoate the notes.  
  2. Then I would go back and add the tag on the desktop and sync again (preferably in a smaller notebook as a test),
  3. Then look at the web version to see what happened there.
  4. Then delete the tag on the web
  5. Sync the desktop and see what notes still have the tag on the desktop.  This should be the set of not synced notes.
  6. Move them to a temporary notebook and  if it all works, move them back to the right notebook.

Something like this happened to me quite a while ago and it took this kind of sleuthing to fix it.  Never really knew why it happened, but it hasn't happened since.  Good luck.

I finally found the notes that did not sync. It was a (local ?) notebook called Evernote Help that existed since the beginning.

I deleted it and now everything seems to sync perfectly.

I still don't know why it didn't sync the first time.

I am also wandering about the mobile version. Do you know how to cound the notes on a mobile evernote (iPhone) ?

Thanks

Patrick

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Emphyrio said:

It was a (local ?) notebook called Evernote Help that existed since the beginning.

I deleted it and now everything seems to sync perfectly.

I still don't know why it didn't sync the first time.

I have set up Local Notebooks for use on my Mac

By definition, these are used for notes I don't want synced to the Evernote servers

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Emphyrio said:

I am also wandering about the mobile version. Do you know how to cound the notes on a mobile evernote (iPhone) ?

Go to Notebooks on the phone and you should see counts by Notebook.  Look in settings pre v8 or in the tab in v8.  Make sure it has synced.

Archived