pedr

Evernote Text Formatting Feedback & Feature Request

Idea

Hi everyone,

So … I restarted using Evernote, mostly the web version, and here's my feedback: we are in 2017 and Evernote is one of the only apps I know that doesn't allow to apply styles or format text with headings and so on. IMO, it doesn't make sense. Even Google Docs allows some styles, or at least, allows to import/paste from word and maintain a few styles. Evernote does not.

I kindly request the Evernote team to add this feature to your roadmap. I really want to keep using Evernote but I really need to use something better for my notes.

Kind regards,
pedr

• Like 4

16 replies to this idea

5 hours ago, pedr said:

IMO, it doesn't make sense.

Their are similar requests posted for the addition of word processing styles.

As you noted, the Evernote featureset is limited, more suited for notes.

Currently, the solution I use is to switch to dedicated apps like Word or Pages, and include them as attachments to a note

Yes but if I have to switch to dedicated software, why would I return to Evernote?

Right now, the biggest use I have for Evernote is a sum-up of annotations (Books (all content) → Word (long sum-up) → Evernote (short sum-up). If I have to stick with Word, might as well use OneNote from MS anyway. It has mobile apps too. That's why I requested this feature; if it does make sense.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if a similar post was already published.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, pedr said:

Yes but if I have to switch to dedicated software, why would I return to Evernote?

I consider Evernote to be my digital filing cabinet.

After I use dedicated apps for Word Processing, Drawing, Recording etc., I return to Evernote to store my files

I have posted a new request to "Change text size for selected text in an individual note" to consolidate this and similar requests into one request.
PLEASE copy this request name, search for it in the Evernote Home Page, and vote for it by clicking the up arrow in front of the request. Maybe we can get the Evernote teams attention. 

On 7/29/2017 at 1:21 PM, Dave.Robinson16@Gmail.com said:
I have posted a new request to "Change text size for selected text in an individual note" to consolidate this and similar requests into one request.
PLEASE copy this request name, search for it in the Evernote Home Page, and vote for it by clicking the up arrow in front of the request. Maybe we can get the Evernote teams attention. 

Please stop adding the exact same post all over the forums (this is the third instance). If you find requests that match yours, then please use the voting mechanism to add your vote. Note that the Evernote team does have your attention; They log these requests as a matter of course, but as always, 'attention' does not always mean 'action', as requests must be prioritized for limited development resources.

It really annoys me how words all clump together when pasting from a PDF, etc, especially in iPad/iPhone app!

Infuriating and super-unproductive/time consuming. 

17 hours ago, lllewelll said:

It really annoys me how words all clump together when pasting from a PDF, etc, especially in iPad/iPhone app!

This seems to be a new issue.  Can you post a link to the note

17 hours ago, lllewelll said:

This seems to be a new issue.  Can you post a link to the note

Initially, here's a screen shot of the pasted text, with highlights of the worst clumping. The yellow box points out a common example of letters added out of the blue. 

Its highly inefficient to have to re-edit all this mess. 

IMG_5319.PNG

11 hours ago, lllewelll said:

Initially, here's a screen shot of the pasted text, with highlights of the worst clumping. The yellow box points out a common example of letters added out of the blue. 

Its highly inefficient to have to re-edit all this mess. 

Have you tried a different PDF viewer to see if you get the same results?

On 31/01/2017 at 2:50 PM, DTLow said:

Their are similar requests posted for the addition of word processing styles.

As you noted, the Evernote featureset is limited, more suited for notes.

Currently, the solution I use is to switch to dedicated apps like Word or Pages, and include them as attachments to a note

I find that even if formatting control in Evernote is poor, it does generally honour existing formats - if you copy and paste from Word, with Headings, different fonts etc, it looks pretty much the same in Evernote, so you don't need to attach Word docs.

Of course, if you need to make lots of edits to it afterwards, with complex formatting, you'll probably want to copy it back into Word to do this, and this is where it gets a bit messy.
It doesn't honour all the style types. So, for example, if you have Header 1, Header 2 etc formats in Word, they look the same after posting in Evernote.
When you paste it back into Word though, they are not Headers any more, just text with different colour/font/size/spacing etc

On 10/5/2017 at 7:12 AM, Cyberspy said:

I find that even if formatting control in Evernote is poor, it does generally honour existing formats - if you copy and paste from Word, with Headings, different fonts etc, it looks pretty much the same in Evernote, so you don't need to attach Word docs.

Of course, if you need to make lots of edits to it afterwards, with complex formatting, you'll probably want to copy it back into Word to do this, and this is where it gets a bit messy.
It doesn't honour all the style types. So, for example, if you have Header 1, Header 2 etc formats in Word, they look the same after posting in Evernote.
When you paste it back into Word though, they are not Headers any more, just text with different colour/font/size/spacing etc

That just makes this more infuriating - either having to copy stuff back and forth (what a waste of time), or that the renderer supports the formatting (including coloured highlights) and the interface updates are not a priority.  [And I'm not worried about world class layout, just simple styles so things like consistent headings are fast to add to a note] 

(but as raised above, this is a duplicate and highlighly discussed request in other threads).