What's up with New York Times photos?

TdeV

I spent a couple of hours today perusing New York Times newsletter "What to Cook This Week" and clipped a few recipes that looked interesting. Imagine my surprise when I printed one of those recipes (to cook tonight) and no image printed. Print Preview showed the image at the top of the recipe, but when printed (to a printer), the space where the image would have been is a big white space. This was true for ALL the recipe images from the New York Times today. I printed a number of NYT recipes from my Evernote and the images disappear when printed from a printer. This is true for all recipes dated Nov 2016 to date. I can print an image from a NYT recipe from September 2016.

If I copy the image into Paint, I can print the image.

So, is this something the New York Times has done? Or is this due to an unknown agreement with Evernote? Or is it a bug?

If it can't be fixed, it will cause me unsubscribe from the NYT newsletter.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Choosing a recipe at random from that site I don't see any problems with the image size or filename which might cause it not to print.  Can you provide an actual URL for one of the recipes you're having an issue with?  It may be that there's some finesse in the page code which prevents Evernote from including the actual image when printing..

I notice there's a printer option on the page which saves the content to PDF - maybe if you try that route to save the recipe?...  ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, TdeV said:

So, is this something the New York Times has done? Or is this due to an unknown agreement with Evernote? Or is it a bug?

If you can post a .enex export of some notes in question we could take a look and perhaps give you some answers

Its interesting print preview showed the images

@DTLow, I know that print preview showed the pages, that's why it took me so long to find out!  @gazumped I'd prefer not to save as pdf because I don't find that format as neat; I usually mark and copy.

Incidentally from my note (in Evernote) printing to pdf didn't produce the image either.

Here's the original. If I print from the original web page, no image is printed.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12080-pork-cutlets-parmigiana?em_pos=large&emc=edit_ck_20170129&nl=cooking&nlid=52074460

Then I saved to Evernote (cut + paste), link below. Here's my Evernote

http://www.evernote.com/l/AHab_mVkXe1OCpQdXUpj96bYZcSZGajWtPM/

Curiouser and curiouser! If I print (to a printer) from the shared Evernote from a web browser, the image prints.

The .enex is attached.

PorkCutlets.enex

Also curious, if I chose "Simplified Article" from the web clipper, I got the image in the note in Evernote, but the image would not print to the printer.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Must be some magic code somewhere that's causing an issue.  You'll have noticed that us 'experienced' users favour easy work-arounds where they're available - that's usually because while it would be infinitely more convenient if the world worked as we'd like,  and printing (as a purely random instance) was possible without any detours,  it's often much easier and quicker to accept the detour and get on with life than to work out why the 'correct' way doesn't do what we'd prefer.  Which is why I suggest that you set up your recipes in a publicly shared notebook and print from there if you need to do so!

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-29 at 11:31 AM, TdeV said:

I printed a number of NYT recipes from my Evernote and the images disappear when printed from a printer.

Thankyou for the recipe - it looks good

I imported your sample into Evernote on my Mac.
The image shows, although it its smaller than the original

I looked at the actual note data in the database folder
- the enml code looks good; it's simplified from the original
- the actual image was imprted as a jpg file
So, whatever voodoo code NYT uses, Evernote bypassed it

I printed to pdf and the image shows with no problem

Archived