SueO

Sharing Stacks

Idea

I am giving two Evernote workshops this week.  One question that comes up every time is:  Can I share a Stack?  This would make sense when trying to collaborate on projects that involve many individual Notebooks.  Sue

10 replies to this idea

37 minutes ago, SueO said:

Can I share a Stack?  

No options to share a Stack - they're basically a method for each user to organize their notebooks

>>This would make sense when trying to collaborate on projects that involve many individual Notebooks.

An alternative would be to not use many individual notebooks
Tags work for me and I would only have one shared notebook per project

I see that this thread has been around for 7 years and yet still no implementation of Stack sharing - despite many requests here.

Sad... :(

On 7/27/2018 at 3:33 PM, TheTinMan18 said:

I see that this thread has been around for 7 years and yet still no implementation of Stack sharing - despite many requests here.

Sad... :(

Perhaps the new Spaces feature will make you ?
Its designed as a sharing mechanism.

Sure - If you want to pay for Evernote Business. What about all the non-business people who just want to share stacks with their friends or family.

44 minutes ago, TheTinMan18 said:

Sure - If you want to pay for Evernote Business. What about all the non-business people who just want to share stacks with their friends or family.

I'm waiting for the Spaces feature to become available to personal accounts

I'm willing to pay for features I use but a Business account is outside my budget.

41 minutes ago, TheTinMan18 said:

I guess my thought would be that Evernote (who, after all, have to pay their staff and pay for their servers, etc.) simply have a right to decide what features will be free, and what features we need to pay for. The Basic subscription is good for many things, but it does have limits, which (to me) seems reasonable for something that's free to the user, but not without cost to those who provide it.

I agree that it's a fine line between what should be a "Basic" or "Premium" feature, and that it's totally up to their discretion. (And rightfully so. Devs need to get paid after all.) Which is why I'm not on here asking that a "Premium" feature be provided to "Basic" users, but rather that a "Basic" feature (stacks) have better implementation. Spaces might be (A) solution for not being able to share stacks but it looks more like "teams" for evernote.

1 hour ago, TheTinMan18 said:

Which is why I'm not on here asking that a "Premium" feature be provided to "Basic" users, but rather that a "Basic" feature (stacks) have better implementation.

download.jpg.14e5550d03b11ba66dc4c196796f2744.jpg

My guess is that it's doubtful that Evernote will put much more effort into improving stack support -- they're a bit of a hack, architecturally, (they're just a name in a notebook, and local to the current account whether it's the owner or the sharee; see http://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/Types.html#Struct_Notebook) and to add more functionality would require architectural changes that would need to ripple across all SDK users, including the official clients. As far as I can tell, they're putting their development weight into Spaces, hopefully a more robust facility that's still in progress in the Business clients, and is planned (so far as we've been told) will wind up in the Personal clients eventually 

Regardless, it seems like this belongs in a feature request forum. Moving the topic...