Iphone/IPAD evernote body is blank but part of note shows in snippet since update. Evernote is fine on PC

Hi,

I am a premium user happy with Evernote but the latest patch for IOS (Iphones and Ipads) has introduced several bugs I can do without. Evernote still works fine on the PC and on the Web. I have seen others posting about the same issues and am wondering when they will be fixed.

1. IOS device Evernote constantly asking for Apple account Itunes password. This never used to happen but constantly appears now. Fortunately you can cancel and evernote still works on the Ipad/Iphone but this bug was introduced when they tried to speed up Evernote and make it 'simpler'.   On Iphone 6S plus its version 8.0.3.341959.  Most times I open Evernote I am asked about entering the Apple Itunes account password even though Evernote is not downloading an update to the app. I googled this question and saw others had one with an evernote dev reporting they were aware of it and looking for examples.

2. Well, this one I just caved in to the Evernote Spam constantly asking for turning on PUSH notifications. The only options were not now or yes so it came up every time even though I never had to set this on in the past and was happy with the quick syncing that occurred when opening the app. There was not an option for NEVER spam me again with PUSH notification dialogue so I just clicked yes to have Evernote constantly running in background to push notifications and eat battery on the iphone and ipad to avoid the dialogue spam. Prior to this latest update I didn't have to receive push notifications and Evernote worked fine.

3. Note failures in IOS devices. I have noticed that when I make a cut/paste note that are easily viewable on the PC or web app, they DO NOT properly show on the IPAD/IPhone. The note title is correct and the beginning of the note shows on the snippet but the actual body of the note is blank except for the words 'start writing'. If you actually start writing there, it replaced the correct version of the note which now becomes blank except for what you entered. Basically, the latest upgrade to Evernote broke cut/pasted notes for me. I have figured a work around to paste into a text file and then copy from there and create the evernote but I do lose the formatting and it is an extra step that I never had to do before the latest upgrade. It must be a new bug where Evernote IOS can not handle/display the font which displays fine on the PC and web.

Any help appreciated

Thx

MEGA

The same thing is happening here. When I email messages to Evernote using the upload address, the messages show up fine on the PC, but in 8.0.3 on my iPad Pro the body is blank except for the words 'start writing'.  Reinstalling the app doesn't fix the problem. 

90% of my Evernote usage involves working with messages forwarded to my iPad so this is a total showstopper.

14 hours ago, MEGALOMANIAC said:

Well, this one I just caved in to the Evernote Spam constantly asking for turning on PUSH notifications. The only options were not now or yes so it came up every time even though I never had to set this on in the past and was happy with the quick syncing that occurred when opening the app. There was not an option for NEVER spam me again with PUSH notification dialogue so I just clicked yes to have Evernote constantly running in background to push notifications and eat battery on the iphone and ipad to avoid the dialogue spam. Prior to this latest update I didn't have to receive push notifications and Evernote worked fine.

My understanding is that the primary purpose of this is to allow you to receive reminder notifications. If you don't use EN reminders, or if you don't want to receive reminder notifications on your lockscreen, in notification center, etc., than EN notifications can be turned off by tapping your Settings icon then Notifications>Evernote>toggle Allow Notifications off. You can still receive emails of your reminders if you want. Look in the EN app under Account>Settings>Reminders>toggle Receive Reminder Emails on.

14 hours ago, MEGALOMANIAC said:

Evernote constantly running in background to push notifications and eat battery on the iphone and ipad

Allowing push notifications is not the same as allowing the app to run in the background. That's Background App Refresh under Settings>General. When I look there, my agreement to accept EN push notifications did not toggle that on.

Hope this helps.

I am having the same problem and it is a "critical path" issue for me. The "body" of several notes is  empty when displaying on iOS. This happened with the 8.0 upgrade (which is otherwise great!)

please help. I need this fixed for the start of the work week

I'm getting this one too. I've got a number of action lists which I generate from Drafts on the iPad. The sidebar shows a snippet from the note, but the note itself is blank. If I then edit from my PC it works again. This is really annoying and is messing up my daily workflow. 

Evernote would be brilliant if it worked - but I feel like I'm fighting against it all the time these days. I use Evernote rather than OneNote because it allows you to append/prepend to notes, but if that isn't working there really isn't any advantage for me.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, BM1957 said:

I'm getting this one too. I've got a number of action lists which I generate from Drafts on the iPad. The sidebar shows a snippet from the note, but the note itself is blank. If I then edit from my PC it works again. This is really annoying and is messing up my daily workflow. 

Evernote would be brilliant if it worked - but I feel like I'm fighting against it all the time these days. I use Evernote rather than OneNote because it allows you to append/prepend to notes, but if that isn't working there really isn't any advantage for me.

Hi.  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Hi,

Thanks for the answers guys. Of course I did pursue the basic maneuvers like rebooting the ipad/iphone and full evernote reinstall on the devices but the issues mentioned in the original post persist and are directly from the latest upgrade designed to speed up evernote on the IOS devices. My wife likes the upgrade as she has many thousands of recipes with pictures and she is sped up quite nicely. I have mostly text documents so there is no speed improvement for me, just the newly introduced bugs.

Note writing - Note visible on PC/Web, also visible on snippet on IOS devices but missing from the actual note on the IOS device. Adding to the note or forcing sync from the PC doesn't fix this for me. Repeat force syncing several times sequentially on the IOS device doesn't fix it. Hopefully Evernote fixes the bug they created on the next update. My workaround is to copy the PC or Web Evernote into a text file and then create a new evernote text file without the formatting and this will show on the IOS devices. Clicking simplify formatting from the IOS devices also doesn't fix the original note, only the text copy works for me

ITUNEs/Apple password request spam - This happens at least once a day now which is better then every time I open Evernote like it was initially. Clicking cancel is the quickest way to get rid of the dialogue box since putting in your password just wastes your time and doesn't accomplish anything.

Push notification spam - I caved and did indeed accept push notifications even though I don't need them to avoid the spam screen which only had the two options for NOW and NOT Now (meaning I will continuously spam you until you click NOW)

Hey Noteworthy, thanks for the info on the Push notification. My Evernote was on under app refresh as well as notifications.  I never use reminders. I just turned both off. Hopefully I don't start getting the Push notifications spam again (ie turn on now or we will spam you every time until you turn it on)

IOS has a new update so maybe Evernote will play nicer there. IOS has gone to the same UPDATE now or I will ask you a million more times until I wear you down spam but at least there might be security reasons for the update. I personally believe most IOS updates are to disable any lightning cable not manufactured by them at 5 times the price of even legitimate competitors. The IOS updates seem most effective at disabling even the apple certified competitors to force you to buy their shorter, more expensive lightning cables. 

Thx

MEGA
11 minutes ago, MEGALOMANIAC said:

I personally believe most IOS updates are to disable any lightning cable not manufactured by them at 5 times the price of even legitimate competitors. The IOS updates seem most effective at disabling even the apple certified competitors to force you to buy their shorter, more expensive lightning cables.

Too funny!

I also have blank notes in iOS with EN 8.0.3! I searched for the exact cause and narrowed it down to the use of specially formatted content. In my case it is google sheets tables that I copied and pasted over to EN. The desktop and web clients display the notes without any issue. I even remember having seen notes with google sheets tables on iOS last week, just before the update to 8.0.3... This is really pretty annoying... Anyway, I hope it's gonna help somebody else as well.

I have the same problem. Everything works fine on my macbook and the web version. But since I upgraded too EN 8.0.3 on my Iphone some of my notes just won't work. They are blank with the text "start writing". I also need to keep logging in to my itunes account. After fiddling with the notes it seems to be a format bug. Also the notebook of my choosing doesn't show up as I start the app on iOS. These bugs need to be fixed as I use my phone 24/7 for work! 

I have the same problem. On iPad Pro iOS version, some of notes in one of my notebooks are total blank. But the PC verison is fine. The worst thing is if I update the contents using the blank notes, it will overwrite all of my original contents, so actually, I lost some important nots in my notebook. Terrible ! How to fix ???

Hi,

Hey Guru, thanks for the update. Do you work for Evernote or heard it elsewhere? I posted here for the community feedback and also if Evernote moderators read these posts and responded (I am not sure if you are one of those Evernote folks but thx for the help either way). I see how to submit a ticket from within the Evernote App so I will post the original thread there to let them know about the Itunes password spam as well(not critical but bothersome) as well as this bug which is more urgent.

Thx

MEGA
5 hours ago, Aaron Guo said:

I have the same problem. On iPad Pro iOS version, some of notes in one of my notebooks are total blank. But the PC verison is fine. The worst thing is if I update the contents using the blank notes, it will overwrite all of my original contents, so actually, I lost some important nots in my notebook. Terrible ! How to fix ???

Same issue HELP!!!

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, MEGALOMANIAC said:

Do you work for Evernote or heard it elsewhere?

I read another thread in the Forums.  I'm just a user - no special access to anything.  ;)

4 hours ago, K Jackson said:

Same issue HELP!!!

Hi.  See the answers immediately above your post...

Same problem ! Just before an International trip ! Evernote is such a **** company ! I am loosing money for my business !

And you know what ? I dont even expect anymore good from those loosers ! I get tons of problem with their crap service !

Hi,

If the note doesn't include specially formatted tables and charts/graphs, then I find that cutting/pasting first into a text file and then creating the Evernote is a workaround until they fix this.

NEVER 'START WRITING' where the Iphone/Ipad asks or you will merely delete the body of the note on the PC/Web were you can actually still see it.

Here is to hoping they fix the Itunes password request spam(bothersome but not critical) at the same time they fix this one with the next patch.

MEGA

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem. 

I have just found following error in the Activity log:
"{
    version = "1.0";
}
2017-04-20 15:54:30.427 [lvl=3] NoteEditorViewController.swift commonEditorView(_:logMessage:) line: 1914 CE-ERROR unknown notification 'ready': {
    version = "1.0";
}"

I also got an answer from the support team that:

"They are working diligently to resolve the issue and hope to have a fix released in our next update."

and

"A possible workaround that you might want to consider is Simplifying Formatting from a desktop application which would make the content on iOS viewable again.

To do this, log into your account using your desktop Evernote application. Go ahead and highlight the content in the note and then go to Format > Simplfiy Formatting. Sync your device and then view it on your iPad. You should be able to see that content again."

Best regards.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:47 AM, MEGALOMANIAC said:

Hi,

If the note doesn't include specially formatted tables and charts/graphs, then I find that cutting/pasting first into a text file and then creating the Evernote is a workaround until they fix this.

NEVER 'START WRITING' where the Iphone/Ipad asks or you will merely delete the body of the note on the PC/Web were you can actually still see it.

Here is to hoping they fix the Itunes password request spam(bothersome but not critical) at the same time they fix this one with the next patch.

MEGA

Is there ANY way to recover the content that was lost if you tried to type on the Iphone note?  My Iphone note was blank (although I could see a snippet of my previous content in the preview), I typed one character and it completely wiped out all of the contents of the note.  Incredibly frustrated.  

• Level 5*
On 27/04/2017 at 9:59 PM, lp115 said:

Is there ANY way to recover the content that was lost if you tried to type on the Iphone note?  My Iphone note was blank (although I could see a snippet of my previous content in the preview), I typed one character and it completely wiped out all of the contents of the note.  Incredibly frustrated.  

Hi.  Provided the note still exists,  and you're a premium member or willing to upgrade for a month - How to access and use note history

• 2 months later...

This is apparently still an issue but not just with iPads and iPhone notes.  I am having the same issue with blank notes on my iMac desktop computer.  I just spent hours drafting a detailed itinerary with extensive color coded formatting and copy/paste confirmations.  I can see the note in the snippet but when I click on it to open, it just goes to a blank note with the start a new note prompt. I didn't start typing and it still completely wiped out all of the contents of the prior note and saved that.   I retrieved my note (minus about 1 hrs worth of work)  from Archives and  it was doing the same thing.  When I click to open it, it goes to a blank note.  I finally had to copy the archived note from the History and put it in Google Docs.  

• 7 months later...

I'm having this same problem with notes that contain html tables not displaying at all on iOS.

Above it says that a fix was in final testing for Evernote 8.0.4 over a year ago.  I'm running 8.9.363517.  What happened to the fix?  Is the bug back?  Or was it never fixed?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, bshannon said:

I'm having this same problem with notes that contain html tables not displaying at all on iOS.

Can you explain "html" tables.  I thought it was all html since Evernote stores data in enml/html format.

If you post a .enex export of your note we can try viewing it on our devices 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, bshannon said:

Can I get a enex export of the note using the Evernote web app?  Or do I need to use the desktop app?

I'd say no enex export on the web platform; yes on the desktop platform (Win/Mac)

Export is also available in IOS using the share menuDCBA75FD-B3B9-4F5A-9D65-48CF07C5492E.thumb.jpeg.5192d3646b94879e57a352285a0cc489.jpeg

Here's the .enex:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE en-export SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/evernote-export3.dtd">
<en-export export-date="20180219T231407Z" application="Evernote" version="Evernote Mac 6.13.3 (456166)">
<note><title>Test2</title><content><![CDATA[<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE en-note SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/enml2.dtd">
<en-note><div><span style="font-family: trebuchet ms, geneva, sans-serif;"><span style="font-family: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;"><br clear="none"/></span></span></div><div><br clear="none"/></div><div><br clear="none"/></div><div><br clear="none"/></div><div><br clear="none"/></div><h1><span>XXX BBB - AAA</span></h1><h2>ZZZ CCC</h2><table summary="Table of test result components"><thead><tr><th colspan="1" rowspan="1" title="Result Component"><br clear="none"/></th><th colspan="1" rowspan="1" title="Value of Component Result"><br clear="none"/></th><th colspan="1" rowspan="1" title="Range of Normal Values"><br clear="none"/></th><th colspan="1" rowspan="1" title="Special Conditions"><br clear="none"/></th></tr></thead><tr><td colspan="1" rowspan="1"><br clear="none"/></td><td colspan="1" rowspan="1"><br clear="none"/></td><td colspan="1" rowspan="1"><br clear="none"/></td><td colspan="1" rowspan="1"><br clear="none"/></td></tr><tr><td colspan="4" rowspan="1"><br clear="none"/></td></tr></table><div><br clear="none"/></div></en-note>]]></content><created>20180217T034719Z</created><updated>20180219T080045Z</updated><note-attributes><author>Bill Shannon</author><reminder-order>0</reminder-order></note-attributes></note>
</en-export>

There's lots of table heading data left from the original html table, although I've replaced or deleted all the table content.  Nonetheless, nothing displays on iOS.  And in the web app I can't even delete the (empty) table.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, bshannon said:

I imported  your sample and confirmed your results.  The note was visible as a  table  on my Mac,  5a8c495b3052a_ScreenShot2018-02-20at08_10_11.png.ea060f90feacf957cf4d3a21bed9e382.png

blank on my iPad 

5FA7CC74-AC79-4C62-A720-7735C2A62B8B.jpeg.20523dc52479b712bbd129a944135a2c.jpeg

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, bshannon said:

Is this the same bug that was reported over a year ago?  Or is this a new bug?

How do we convince Evernote that this is serious enough that it needs to be fixed soon?

I think it's a different bug

When importing from the web there's the potential to import voodo html code that cant be handled in the evernote display.

A suport ticket could be opened, asking Evernote to handle this "special" code

Or, we can modify the code itself.  Evernote has some simplify code features in the format menu.  We can also modify the code directly; for example in the .enex file.

I came here looking for answers and solutions, I'm in the middle of a work project and can't access the research I have done and saved to evernote. I can see the notes when I go online using chrome or Edge but the problem is that I don't actually have access to my computer at work, I usually work on my iPad pro or iphone. I have a support ticket with them so hopefully this get resolved quickly. I'm also really worried that I might have deleted important content by accident that I won't notice until way later when I need to access those notes again. I might have deleted a few important notes thinking they were blank in the last few weeks too. The only reason I noticed this bug is because I was trying to access a very important note that I have worked with before and just could not believe all the data (HTML content and attached files) was gone.  It was during a meeting and was about to freak out but then noticed that the thumbnails looked fine so I thought to check the web version just in case.   I've been a paid customer for years and my business depends on Evernote. I really can't imagine losing hours of research, it would cost a lot of time/money to it again.  To be honest I hope they get this resolved quickly, I've been playing more and more with other note apps and while I think Evernote still does a better job at organizing/clipping the other apps are slowly building some really nice features. In my perfect word the Evernote team would spend some time figuring out what the others do so well and see if they can integrate the functionalities... that said, it might soon be the other guys catching up. I find that Evernote display/formatting/editing of notes has been really buggy for quite a while now... 

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-19 at 3:17 PM, bshannon said:

Here's the .enex:

I compared the .enex code to another note and noticed a difference with the first line (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>)

After deleting this line, the note displays on my iPad 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, bshannon said:

Do some of your exported notes not include that line?

Confirmed; that's why I focused on the xml line.

An alternative is to delete the table coding from the enex file. The note then displayed on my iPad 

I have no idea what this means, but it's something you can add to the support ticket.

Just an fyi, I'm editing enml files directly on my Mac

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, bshannon said:

I finally found the time to submit a bug report for this but now I can't figure out how to do that, either from the web site or from the iOS app.

Do I need to upgrade before I can report a bug?

iOS:   Evernote User Page > Support > Submit

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, bshannon said:

What is "Evernote User Page"?  In the Evernote app, if I go to Account > Support, there is no "Submit" option.

This may be a paid account feature E7A70554-08CE-4E8D-A8E1-F98CAE8F4260.thumb.jpeg.9405c9696d9bb83edebed1d1f4adda75.jpeg

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, bshannon said:

I have to pay to tell them about bugs in their product.

Not necessarily - you can either post here which is pretty good, or use Twitter and @EvernoteHelps (which might get you some feedback)

• Ex Employees
56 minutes ago, bshannon said:

I'm not a big Twitter user but I gave it a try.  Thanks.

Hi @bshannon, thanks for reporting this. It sound like an issue our development team is aware of and should be fixed in a forthcoming update. If you'd like to DM me an exported copy of the note that shows blank, I can test it for you to make sure that it shows correctly in future versions of the application.

Otherwise, while not ideal, the note should show correctly on Evernote Web, and if you stay up-to-date with the app, it will be fixed in future updates.

Hi all,

I am the original thread starter over a year ago. This bug was fixed a year ago but I noticed my email blowing up with new posts on this thread so I checked my iphone and ipad and sure enough the bug is back. The first two issues mentioned last year appear permanently fixed. The note failure bug (Issue #3) appears to have been reintroduced in some upgrade.

3. Note failures in IOS devices. I have noticed that when I make a cut/paste note that are easily viewable on the PC or web app, they DO NOT properly show on the IPAD/IPhone. The note title is correct and the beginning of the note shows on the snippet but the actual body of the note is blank except for the words 'start writing'. If you actually start writing there, it replaced the correct version of the note which now becomes blank except for what you entered. Basically, the latest upgrade to Evernote broke cut/pasted notes for me. I have figured a work around to paste into a text file and then copy from there and create the evernote but I do lose the formatting and it is an extra step that I never had to do before the latest upgrade. It must be a new bug where Evernote IOS can not handle/display the font which displays fine on the PC and web.

Hopefully they fix it soon. It did get fixed last time within 2 weeks for me.

Cheers,

MEGA

Archived