The default for a new notebook should always be private unless intentionally set otherwise

Chris Masterjohn

Idea

Hi,

Today I shared a notebook with someone, and then somehow the default for new notebooks switched to being shared with that person. This slipped my attention, and I accidentally shared two more notebooks with the same person. This could have been sensitive information and constituted a security risk. It is my fault for not paying closer attention, but Evernote's default settings should not make it harder for me to maintain proper security.

I certainly see the value of having the default change. For example, maybe I am collaborating with a team member and virtually every new notebook should be shared with that person. But there's no reason to see that as the default situation. And that can easily be solved by allowing someone to alter the default sharing setting preferences. Having the default automatically try to fit my preferences is not "smart" whatever AI might be doing in the background. It introduces unnecessary risk and inconvenience.

Thanks,

Chris

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Chris Masterjohn said:

Today I shared a notebook with someone, and then somehow the default for new notebooks switched to being shared with that person.

Someone else reported a similar problem
This definetly seems an error; I'd recommending contacting support

Contact Evernote Support 

Twitter @evernotehelps

Archived