Thoughts on iOS re-design (from your friendly Android PM)

Justin Street

Idea

We’ve recently redesigned our iOS app and have received lots of awesome feedback including questions of when a similar update is coming to Android.

Android has different challenges than iOS and many of the design and feature changes we’ve made to iOS don’t apply to Android. With that in mind, we’re definitely keeping track of all feature feedback for the new iOS app and noting down the most loved ones so we can potentially implement them into the Android client.

In the last year, Evernote for Android has seen some great design updates and new features including Google sign-in, Google Drive integration, the ability to select multiple notes, and the ability to switch accounts quickly if you have a business account. We’ve recently launched a major and well-received rewrite that adheres to the Material Design guidelines and currently don’t have any near future plans of a redesign to the Android app.

We’re always updating the app and iterating on our Android design to make it even better. To be among the first to try out new Android features, join our beta community at https://plus.google.com/communities/104510054128618368971

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5

OK, some thoughts. First, I do love Evernote, and plan to stick with it for the foreseeable. That said:

• The link to the beta community won't let me in. I get an error message "Access denied. You have accessed a location on this server that is not available. You may need to Sign in to your account to access this page." I get this even if I'm signed in to Evernote.
  • Almost two years ago seems like a "recent launch" to Evernote? That explains kind of a lot about how EN views the speed of development in contrast to its users.
  • Are any of the dozens of feature requests on this forum (some with a significant number of votes) being considered for any of the upcoming iterations? You don't have to specify which ones; just a simple indication that you all read these requests (or at least scan the list) and take them into account would be encouraging.

Thanks for any further information, @Justin Street.

• Level 5*

Hi both - @Dave-in-Decatur - I can't get into that link either though I'm currently a beta tester.  Join the team here - https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.evernote/join and you should find your existing app automatically gets an update to the current beta within a few hours.  It currently comes up as 7.9.8

@Justin Street - don't rush to do an iOS 8 on our account.  At the very least it looks like wholesale restructuring of the UI left many experienced users confused as to what features were still available,  and while most were still present in some form or other,  there were some quite important (to users) processes that were 'no longer available'. 

I get on with my current UI layout quite well thanks.  If someone could get together a list of all the Android feature requests and prioritise them,  a lot of users are going to be more than happy if their suggestions are accepted for the next update...

• Level 5
13 hours ago, gazumped said:

@Dave-in-Decatur - I can't get into that link either though I'm currently a beta tester.  Join the team here - https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.evernote/join and you should find your existing app automatically gets an update to the current beta within a few hours.  It currently comes up as 7.9.8

Thanks, @gazumped. Truth is, I don't really want to be a beta tester. (I've done that for other software, and I tend to obsess about it enough that it soaks up all my time.) I just wanted to see what was there.

On 1/20/2017 at 2:09 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

OK, some thoughts. First, I do love Evernote, and plan to stick with it for the foreseeable. That said:

• The link to the beta community won't let me in. I get an error message "Access denied. You have accessed a location on this server that is not available. You may need to Sign in to your account to access this page." I get this even if I'm signed in to Evernote.
  • Almost two years ago seems like a "recent launch" to Evernote? That explains kind of a lot about how EN views the speed of development in contrast to its users.
  • Are any of the dozens of feature requests on this forum (some with a significant number of votes) being considered for any of the upcoming iterations? You don't have to specify which ones; just a simple indication that you all read these requests (or at least scan the list) and take them into account would be encouraging.

Thanks for any further information, @Justin Street.

The beta community link now points to the correct place. The feedback, bug reports, and feature requests mentioned in this forum and the beta community are essential to improving the app and we're grateful people take the time post. We certainly take the time to read, understand, and consider them. 

• Level 5*
On 1/20/2017 at 5:09 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Almost two years ago seems like a "recent launch" to Evernote? That explains kind of a lot about how EN views the speed of development in contrast to its users.

For a wholesale application UI redesign? That's not something that you would do very often. Two years doesn't seem unreasonable, so long as new enhancements, bugfixes and other improvements keep on coming.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Justin Street said:

The beta community link now points to the correct place. The feedback, bug reports, and feature requests mentioned in this forum and the beta community are essential to improving the app and we're grateful people take the time post. We certainly take the time to read, understand, and consider them. 

Thanks, Justin. That's encouraging, if only because a lot of ideas get posted here, some more obviously useful to some people, others to others. I'm sure it is not easy to prioritize ones that will be implemented. Just glad to know they're being evaluated!

• Level 5
7 hours ago, jefito said:
On 1/20/2017 at 5:09 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Almost two years ago seems like a "recent launch" to Evernote? That explains kind of a lot about how EN views the speed of development in contrast to its users.

For a wholesale application UI redesign? That's not something that you would do very often. Two years doesn't seem unreasonable, so long as new enhancements, bugfixes and other improvements keep on coming.

I'm not saying that they ought to have gotten out another design by now, only that two years hardly seems "recent" for any kind of update. "Most recent" or "previous" or specifically "two years ago" would have sounded more reasonable to me. But no biggie.

On ‎20‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 10:23 PM, Justin Street said:

We’ve recently redesigned our iOS app and have received lots of awesome feedback including questions of when a similar update is coming to Android.

Android has different challenges than iOS and many of the design and feature changes we’ve made to iOS don’t apply to Android. With that in mind, we’re definitely keeping track of all feature feedback for the new iOS app and noting down the most loved ones so we can potentially implement them into the Android client.

In the last year, Evernote for Android has seen some great design updates and new features including Google sign-in, Google Drive integration, the ability to select multiple notes, and the ability to switch accounts quickly if you have a business account. We’ve recently launched a major and well-received rewrite that adheres to the Material Design guidelines and currently don’t have any near future plans of a redesign to the Android app.

We’re always updating the app and iterating on our Android design to make it even better. To be among the first to try out new Android features, join our beta community at https://plus.google.com/communities/104510054128618368971

Hello Justin,

I am since several years a very satisfied EN Premium power user across the worlds of Windows, Mac iOS and Android. (Power User means I have my whole life in EN) As I had a lot of problems with your current iOS update 8 on my iPhone  and iPads (Mini and 2 Professional) I started to read these forums here, especially the iOS. I do not know exactly what you mean by "awsome feedback" you got on the redisign of your iOS app?? People are screaming in the Forum to get features of the 7 version back - so am I. It was very irresponsible to users as myself to change important Features. Please Keep your hands off changing anything on the Android or Windows versions. Please.

Fritz

Hello Justin,

I am since several years a very satiesfied EN Premium power user across the worlds of Windows, Mac iOS and Android. (Power User means I have my whole life in EN) As I had a lot of problems with your current iOS update 8 on my iPhone  and iPads (Mini and 2 Professional) I started to read these forums here, especially the iOS. I do not know exactly what you mean by "awsome feedback" you got on the redisign of your iOS app?? People are screaming in the Forum to get the Features of the 7 version back - so am I. It was very irresponsible to users as myself to change important Features. Please Keep your hands off changing anything on the Android or Windows versions. Please.

Fritz

Hello Justin,

I am since several years a very satisfied EN Premium power user across the worlds of Windows, Mac iOS and Android. (Power User means I have my whole life in EN) As I had a lot of problems with your current iOS update 8 on my iPhone  and iPads (Mini and 2 Professional) I started to read these forums here, especially the iOS. I do not know exactly what you mean by "awsome feedback" you got on the redisign of your iOS app?? People are screaming in the Forum to get the Features of the 7 version back - so am I. It was very irresponsible to users as myself to change important Features. Please keep your hands off changing anything on the Android or Windows versions. Please.

Fritz

Hello Justin,

I am since several years a very satiesfied EN Premium power user across the worlds of Windows, Mac iOS and Android. (Power User means I have my whole life in EN) As I had a lot of problems with your current iOS update 8 on my iPhone  and iPads (Mini and 2 Professional) I started to read these forums here, especially the iOS. I do not know exactly what you mean by "awsome feedback" you got on the redisign of your iOS app?? People are screaming in the Forum to get the Features of the 7 version back - so am I. It was very irresponsible to users as myself to change important Features. Please Keep your hands off changing anything on the Android or Windows versions. Please.

Fritz

Hello Justin,

Fritz

Archived