(Archived) Feature Request: Alarms, Reminders

• Level 5*

Evernote does not provide any built-in support for calendar, due date, or reminders.

Having said that, there are various workarounds using Tags, Searches, and external apps/systems.

A search on "reminders" should bring up most of these.

My workaround is to use Outlook Calendar for my reminders:

1. Create/sync a Note in Evernote
  2. Copy the Note Link
  3. Create an Outlook Calendar item and paste in the EN Note Link

You could in EN create one "master note" which is your list (using checkboxes) with due dates.

Then create a EN Note for each item on your list (if it requires more details).

Copy the Note Link for this Note, and paste back into your Master Note, as well as into Outlook.

If you like, you can add a tag to your Master Note (and detail notes) something like "Followup", and then whenever you like, Search for Notes with "tag:followup todo:false"

• This will find all Notes with a tag of "followup" AND that has at least one checkbox that is NOT checked.

If you prefer an email reminder, there are at least a couple of web services that provide this.

Others may post details about these services, or you can do a Google search.

I don't see what the big issue is with Evernote NOT having a 'reminder' function with their notes. If you think about it, if you use EN for what it is intended for, the percentage of your notes that may need to remind you has got to be very, very small. So why would they devote development time to such a small percentage of what they think notes will consist of? I have over 1,000 notes because I collect and sort information and data with EN for the long term and for reference. Hence, tags and notebooks to help me be organized and search through my notes.

If I need to be reminded of a particular note, then I use a calendar (my Outlook, or Google), or better yet, more robust, all-enterprise apps like Producteev or Astrid. I have to believe that notes with due dates are very short term notes, and in MY opinion, Evernote isn't the product that one should use to be reminded. Chances are, if I have a need to be reminded of one thing, I will have several things I need to be reminded of. Evernote is not that program. Would it be great if Evernote did EVERYTHING for me? Sure. But it doesn't claim to be a to do list with reminders and due dates, any more than it claims to be a music player, or a sports scoreboard. I have separate apps for those things. Just like I use other things for reminding me to do stuff.

Wouldn't it be great if my son's school also had a grocery store and a car wash so I could do everything at once while I'm picking up my son? Of course, but if it did, those other things I could do would probably be less than the best they could be. So, I go to those other places and let all those different places be strong and focus at what they do best, so I get the maximum results I expect of each of those places. I'm happier because they don't pretend to be something they're not.

I happen to use Springpad as well, but for different things because it's built differently. Briefly, and for ME, Evernote = long term, non-visual reference collection: (research; articles; data, receipts. Springpad = visual reference: (books, movies, music, clothes & style, design, photography) Can I make Evernote do what I've asked Springpad to do? Yes, but I choose to use them for different things because they each have their strengths. Like a calendar app has its to do and reminder strengths.

Just because Springpad has the ability to set of an alarm to remind me of something, it is hardly the best app for doing that, again IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Evernote has pretty much a godsend for organizing my notes. The problem I have now is that I tend to not review my notes as often as I'd like, and consciously sitting down and doing so just doesn't occur to me as often as I'd prefer.

What would be fantastic would be a option to have Evernote mail me a customized email on a daily/weekly/etc basis containing all notes with [x] tags in them ,or were clipped within [x] dates, or etc. etc.

Just a thought.

• Level 5*

Why would you need Evernote to mail you notes that you already have in Evernote, and can identify in Evernote, using Evernote search facilities?

Saved searches spring to mind. If this is about reminders, you can set a regular reminder in your calendar with an URL like this:

https://www.evernote...0tag:anothertag

This URL will link to a custom search in the web interface, and will contain the digest you probably want to see.

The last part "tag:mytag%20tag:anothertag" is the search term. %20 signifies a space character in regular search syntax and means as much as "and."

Some calendar applications even allow for launching an url automatically. Hope this helps.

If the goal of your post was primarily to open a feature request (and not so much finding a workaround), you might want to open a ticket. But Evernote staff reads these forums, too.

Hello,

I just started using Evernote, and I am in love with it. I was wondering since its so optimizable that I am going to use it as also my "Task Manager." Is there a way to set up reminders for tasks to be finished by a due date and also sync it automatically with iCal?

Thank you

gus

No, sorry. If you search the forums for "due dates," "task manager," and similar keywords, you'll see a lot of previous discussion on this subject, covering what Evernote can do on this front, what it sort of can do, what it can't do, and what products do all this better.

• 1 month later...

Actually I'd love this feature to have the option to email the specific note from within evernote on a weekly/daily basis. My reason would be that as I now have loads of notebooks and notes I'd have a couple of ToDo lists and I'd my main list sent to me as a reminder that I have stuff to do rather than rely on remembering to check my todo list. that way I'd get the email with the current state of the todo list.

I *think* you could accomplish what you're looking for by using this site:

http://www.nouri.sh/

And turning your notebook into a public one (but only giving yourself - and that site the feed address, so even though it's "public", it's still Private).

A public notebook has an RSS feed, which you can access by appending /feed to the end of the share name. Like:

http://www.evernote.com/pub/ensupport/faq/feed

Then, just be the only one who subscribes to your newsletter.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Notifications are nice, but NOT as good as an email alert when a shared note has changed.

EMail alerts are pretty much the standard in all collaboration software I have used.

Having an EMail with link to the changed Note would be awesome!

However, having a filter that we could apply to the Search box (note:unread) to list all notes that are new or changed would also be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

i like to add my support for notifications. Evernotes would be very useful for group use but without notifications of changes this will never happen. I love evernotes and I realy want to use it in group situations, so please please find a way to implement notifications of note changes when shared with others.

There is a new service that integrates with Evernote and has reminders.

https://www.extractext.com

It allows you to send an image or pdf attachment, then performs it's own OCR and sends back a searchable pdf along with the extracted text.

You just set a reminder time in the email body, and then what services you want integrated in your account.

It will send sms alerts, deliver the document at a set time to your Kindle if you want, and forward to Evernote with notebook, tags, and all.

They have a free plan that allows allow a few uses per week, but the unlimited plans are really reasonable.

Definitely recommend this web app.

• Level 5*

There is a new service that integrates with Evernote and has reminders.

https://www.extractext.com

It allows you to send an image or pdf attachment, then performs it's own OCR and sends back a searchable pdf along with the extracted text.

You just set a reminder time in the email body, and then what services you want integrated in your account.

It will send sms alerts, deliver the document at a set time to your Kindle if you want, and forward to Evernote with notebook, tags, and all.

They have a free plan that allows allow a few uses per week, but the unlimited plans are really reasonable.

Definitely recommend this web app.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the heads up about this new product. Are you one of the developers? If so, you may want to contact Evernote and see if you can get your product listed in the Trunk. And, if you don't know about it, the Trunk conference is coming up in August (see the Evernote blog for more).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have created KustomNote.com its a web application that you can use to build custom templates (share and use publicly shared ones too) for your notes. One of the features is having the option to set a reminder on creating a note. You enter an email (any email - it sends a link to the note on Evernote so if that person can access it its fine) and you pick a date-time for the reminder. That's it!

Let me know if you have any suggestions or if you have any problems using KustomNote..

Cheers,

- Hussein

• Level 5*

Hi all,

I have created KustomNote.com its a web application that you can use to build custom templates (share and use publicly shared ones too) for your notes. One of the features is having the option to set a reminder on creating a note. You enter an email (any email - it sends a link to the note on Evernote so if that person can access it its fine) and you pick a date-time for the reminder. That's it!

Let me know if you have any suggestions or if you have any problems using KustomNote..

Cheers,

- Hussein

Wow. That is another interesting feature of this integration. It is sounding more and more exciting :)

Just as a reminder to everyone, you have entered this into the Evernote Devcup, so hopefully everyone will go over there, take a look, and vote!

http://devcup.evernote.com/

The work-around for me is to copy note links and paste them to my calendar or task list in Outlook. I can set alarms from there. I also copy some note links to Outlook Contacts...works great. I assume this would work fine with Google or any other calendar.

• Level 5*

..and for the man who likes to update calendars and reminders from anywhere, I use Outlook on my laptop, which syncs with Google Calendar courtesy of a utility from Google, which syncs with Meshin Recall on my Android. I can add or change reminders and appointments from both laptop and mobile.

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't remembering "when" just about as important as remembering "what" though? It's great that Evernote can help you capture thoughts and ideas, but what if you capture something and won't need it again until a future date (e.g. a fleeting thought that could start a meaningful conversation at the next quarterly meeting)? If you forget that it's there, and the moment in which it would have been useful passes, then what good was capturing the item in the first place? In my opinion, I think this is an extremely valid argument for adding some sort of a time-sensitive reminder to Evernote.

I know people are suggesting workarounds and third-party solutions, and I hope I can find something to suit my needs, but wouldn't it be GREAT if this seemingly straight-forward bit of functionality were just built right into Evernote without having to take extra steps within some other system?

I use Astrid Tasks to add reminder functionality to Evernote - but you could use your favourite reminder software/app. Add the evernote note link to the reminder, and done! Adds a whole bunch more functionality than just the much wanted due date. I even have recurring evernote based tasks etc.

I use Astrid Tasks to add reminder functionality to Evernote - but you could use your favourite reminder software/app. Add the evernote note link to the reminder, and done! Adds a whole bunch more functionality than just the much wanted due date. I even have recurring evernote based tasks etc.

Are you talking about sharing from evernote into Astrid Tasks? As I remember that is a link to a webpage which takes way too much time to load sometimes. Secondly, I never figured out how to modify the note in the link/webpage. Do you know of a way? This is critical if you need to add follow up information to a note directly from the link.

if you want to be reminded, save a shortcut to a note in your external app-of-choice, or subscribe to one of the applications that sets out to add reminder functionality to EN.

Which is the "external app-of-choice" that you use?

If I click Create shortcut it creates a shortcut on my homescreen. And having too much on homescreen is a clutter.

I thought it would be a note link as in the desktop version which i could access offline.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Evernote has been pretty helpful in managing my time and remembering to do the things that I need to do. But there's always room for improvement.

Currently there aren't any apps (that I know of) that remind you of a certain note at a certain time.

You see, I have a "Planner" notebook where I store all my To Do lists, each note being under a certain context such as Home, University, Shopping List, etc. I know that the problem with that is that the invididual tasks can't be grouped together according to when I need to do them.

I could make a seperate note for each day but there's two reasons why I don't. One is because a number of the tasks I have are things that I know I need to do eventually but are low priority. Things such as reading a certain book. So if I were to put them in a seperate note named with the context, then I'd probably just forget about them. Second is because I'm quite the forgetful person so there's no guarantee that I'll know that I have a list of things to do. I'm the kind that needs push notifications for these kind of things, haha.

Plus, it doesn't work with the time of the day, because that's how I use my reminders - if I have things to ask the lecturer at the end of a class at 10:00, then I'd have a reminder at 9.45 or so.

So I'd use the Evernote app, but there's no push notifications or badges because that's not really the point of the app.

I've tried using Meshin Calendar. Being able to link with my Google Calendar is great, but my To Do list is usually the things I need to do when I have free time, which I don't make an Event for in my Calendar. Again, lack of push notifications or badges

AnyToDo comes close to what I need - To Do stored in Evernote, app presents it in a clear interface. The sync function is a bit iffy - you could create a new note tagged "NotImportant" or so in Evernote, then sync to AnyToDo and it'd show up. Then you could change the priority but that doesn't update the tag of the note when you view it on Evernote. I'm not really a fan of having seperate notes for individual tasks, either. The way they want you to structure it is that your Notebook is the context and any notes tagged with AnyToDo in it becomes a task in AnyToDo. Since most of the information I store is reference material, I find it quite messy. The reminders could also use a bit of work. It's as close to a Today view, but to use it like that, you'd have to open the app and see your missed reminders because the home screen badge only updates after that. There are the home screen/notification drawer notifications but I've always been one to ignore those. It also doesn't work well for those tasks Doesn't work for those kind of tasks you need to get it done by the end of the day but don't need a specific time because they can be done in any order.

Egretlist needs to be revived. I think the reason I've been picky on what to use for my To Dos is because I've seen what Egretlist is like so that's what I've been expecting from all these apps that I've tried. If there's anyone here that still uses Egretlist, please do let me know if it still works well.

@ArcticPenguin I have started playing with AnyToDo and it seems very good. The sync works for me no issues yet. Reminders seem fine and you can set them to repeat too.

We are all looking forward to an updated/integrated Egretlist time will tell!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to be able to remind myself at a certain time about a specific note, I may have to deal with it sometime later. I cant find a way to do this. I would think that if Evernote is to be my external brain it should have reminders. Afterall, that's the biggest fault my internal brain has - it doesnt remember &@%#%.

I do love Evernote though, great app! Thanks!

Colin

• 2 months later...

I was just telling a friend about Evernote and this was my only complaint. Calendar notifications are overkill. I'm currently using Reminders on my iPhone, but if I had a similar function available in Evernote for when I make to-do lists or just want to follow up on a note, it would be MUCH more efficient. I'm using Evernote more and more, but if it had reminders available, I'd probably use it EVERY day.

Hi All,

I have been playing with IFTTT and getting new notes 15 minutes before a 'diary' appt in Google Calendar along with a 'minutes' note for the meet.

But what I would really like is a new note created on a Sunday lunchtime with all the appts listed for the following week. It may be impossible and it may be pointless, but lets just call this an exercise to see if it can be done. For me it would be good to have all the meetings in one place when I get the chance to review my following week on the iPad whilst relaxing in the evening. Plus I have a dreadful memory.

With the IFTTT link to Google Calendar it only works 15 minutes before the diary entry and does not appear to give you the ability to change that. I have found kanmeet and that just sends a note every time a new calendar entry is added.

Anyone have any ideas if this can be done?

Best regards

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

I'm sure this is addressed someplace but I couldn't find anything...

Is there anyway to put reminders or alarms on individual notes? If not are there plans to do so? This would be a great feature!

RBSplat

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." ~Will Rogers

Amazing!  This very common request is now at least 5 years old, with over 135 replies, and a huge 34,443 views!!!!

I just discovered it when I did a sort of the General Discussion form by Replies.  It is #7 on the top number of replies!

Just today, read another new thread asking for this same feature.  Adding a "Due Date" is part of this same request.

Come on Evernote, wake up and smell the roses!  After 5 years, how much longer will you continue to deny your users such a popular request?

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

I'm sure this is addressed someplace but I couldn't find anything...

Is there anyway to put reminders or alarms on individual notes? If not are there plans to do so? This would be a great feature!

RBSplat

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." ~Will Rogers

Amazing!  This very common request is now at least 5 years old, with over 135 replies, and a huge 34,443 views!!!!

I just discovered it when I did a sort of the General Discussion form by Replies.  It is #7 on the top number of replies!

Just today, read another new thread asking for this same feature.  Adding a "Due Date" is part of this same request.

Come on Evernote, wake up and smell the roses!  After 5 years, how much longer will you continue to deny your users such a popular request?

Ask and ye shall receive. 

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36833-evernote-for-android-51-beta-1/

Hi, we are going to build a iOS new app that allow you to be reminded either via time or location. More details in the near future. Just like to find out how or what you guys like?

I bet that Reminders are coming soon to iOS. I wonder if there will be something in the API for that. Have you heard?

• Level 5*

I bet that Reminders are coming soon to iOS. I wonder if there will be something in the API for that. Have you heard?

Didn't you know that Evernote hates iOS (and Macs)?? No reminders for you!! :)

Just kidding. I suspect (and hope) that you're right.

• Level 5*

As of now,  nothing in the evernote API said anything about reminder. However, I do hope my solution might be better as I will be adding location-based alert as well. Haha. 

There is always room for innovation :)

• 4 weeks later...

After all these years, WHY is this STILL going unnoticed?  It's by FAR the most requested feature for Evernote. I really don't understand why Evernote devs are dragging their feet and/or ignoring this. It's not a difficult request; in fact, it's implemented in Remember the Milk (an OLD app). So, why are users still having to use imperfect third party apps, hacks and/or work arounds with Evernote to get reminders????

• Level 5*

After all these years, WHY is this STILL going unnoticed?  It's by FAR the most requested feature for Evernote. I really don't understand why Evernote devs are dragging their feet and/or ignoring this. It's not a difficult request; in fact, it's implemented in Remember the Milk (an OLD app). So, why are users still having to use imperfect third party apps, hacks and/or work arounds with Evernote to get reminders????

Ahem. reminders are being implemented as we speak; they're already in the Android public betas, and have already been mentioned in this topic. Also please try to understand that Remember the Milk is not the same type of product as Evernote -- RTM is expressly a To-Do list application.

Ahem. reminders are being implemented as we speak; they're already in the Android public betas, and have already been mentioned in this topic. Also please try to understand that Remember the Milk is not the same type of product as Evernote -- RTM is expressly a To-Do list application.

Wow.. Didn't notice that Evernote team is working very hard to bring Reminders! 

Guess my differentiation factor will only be location-based reminders. Now I am abit worried. Haha

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm the co-founder of IdeaPlaces for Evernote an app that links your notes with the places you visit.

One of the features of IdeaPlaces is the location based reminder for Arrival and Departure.

You can use them for:

* shopping lists

* for your travel, to get your web clips at the right time

* to make sure you closed the home after you left home,

* to remember to call ... after you arrived home.

and many other use-cases

You can read the complete app description here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60737-ideaplaces-a-new-way-to-explore-and-use-evernote/

or directly from the AppStore: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id835446337?mt=8

Kind regards,

Ciprian Rarau,

Co-founder of IdeaPlaces

Archived