grahampcharles

New iOS editor very slow?

Idea

The slowness of this version has disappeared! I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 10.3...problem solved?

I just updated iOS to 10.3 and the problem I mentioned two posts earlier is not resolved. It seems when I open the app, Evernote does not allow me to click on anything while performing its sync and after the sync will work properly without lag. Too bad I have to go through this every time I use the app. Anybody having the same issue?

It take some time for Evernote to sync before we can work on the notes. It is unlike Apple Notes where it is available on the phone. You will have a problem if the network is unstable when u want to use it. 

3 hours ago, richardjang said:

It take some time for Evernote to sync before we can work on the notes. It is unlike Apple Notes where it is available on the phone. You will have a problem if the network is unstable when u want to use it. 

The point is that Evernote has been that way all the time, and it used to not have the lag problem. Also the lag issue happens every time I open the app or come back from another app, etc, regardless of my network state (even when it's really fast, e.g., at my work).

I have just updated my iPhone 6+ to the latest iOS (10.3) and Evernote is working very smooth.  It's responsive and has not lagged or farted at all.  I can select and delete copy and then instantly carry on writing.  It seems to be alive!!  

How long this will last is unknown, but I'm very hopeful the long battle with this service and app may be over.  

Do the iOS upgrade, reinstall the latest version of Evernote and give it a test drive.  I'm leaning towards the reality that this issue is over!!  Fingers crossed!!! 

I've upgraded iOS 10.3 and still laggy and slow, this did not fix EN performance issues  

On my iPhone6, I have upgraded iOS to 10.3 and deleted and reinstalled Evernote and the wait time when opening the app has disappeared. On my iPad Pro, I didn't updated iOS, did not deleted neither reinstalled evernote and the lag disappeared too as of today....

I upgraded to IOS 10.3 and EN is responsive again on my phone, will check out the iPad later.  

Only one slow down when I was saving a note I had just created on my phone.  But no lags at all when using saved searches or shortcuts or tag searches or note scrolling.  I did not do anything with EN, still on 8.1.352228.  Interesting.

UPDATE:  A couple of other slow downs, once right after deleting a note.  Still, overall, faster and less lags than before.

12 hours ago, csihilling said:

I upgraded to IOS 10.3 and EN is responsive again on my phone, will check out the iPad later.

Just curious did you also reinstall EN, or just update the OS?  My large offline notebook finally downloaded after several weeks so would like to avoid that again if possible.

4 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Just curious did you also reinstall EN, or just update the OS?  My large offline notebook finally downloaded after several weeks so would like to avoid that again if possible.

Left EN as it was, no reinstall, which is why I find it most interesting that performance improved so dramatically with just the IOS update.  For me anyway.  

The iPad is also much quicker,  Both iDevices open right away now, which they did not previously.  There are still some pauses, typically after editing a note, but NOT nearly as bad as it was before.  I only have two notebooks set for offline, Inbox which is typically empty and Quick (a place for notes I want to be sure and have if I am without a connection) which only has 3 notes in it at the moment.  So not much of an offline notebook test, before or after.

So I closed EN on my phone, moved 5 notes comprising about 200 MB into Quick, opened EN on my phone and in less than 30 seconds the green line was gone and Quick showed 8 notes.  Accessed a PDF in one of the notes and it displayed immediately.  That is much faster than I have seen in the past.  50MB wifi connection.

I will keep using as normal and see if the performance sticks.  YMMV.

49 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Left EN as it was, no reinstall

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll give it a whirl tonight and keep fingers crossed that I will see the same performance improvement.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll give it a whirl tonight and keep fingers crossed that I will see the same performance improvement.

You are welcome.  Let us know how it goes, another data point in any case.

On my iPad Pro 12.9 (256 GB) I also experience more lag. Logging into EN often takes longer and getting to take a note takes slightly longer. Sometimes even a lag. I am more reluctant to use my iPad for notes in meetings and other situations where I need to make a quick note because I risk "falling behind" and find myself turning to paper again. I really hope EN will trim the come to make EN more snappe again.

Biut in general EN seems to be on the right path with the new initiatives.

On 4/4/2017 at 4:51 PM, csihilling said:

Let us know how it goes, another data point in any case

Sure enough, I'm also seeing a noticeable performance increase with the upgrade to IOS 10.3 and I did "not" reinstall Evernote, just did the OS update.

• Like 1

I really think it os great software, but Evernote for iOs 10.3  have some speed issues at the moment. We just need to give some good feedback for them to fix it

I depend om EN on all the work / life I do... I love the way it enables me everyday. I have tried alternatives that look more fancy and simpler (OneNote and Notes for iOS) but Evernote is superior in it's abillity to file stuff, find it and work with stuff in a fast and effecient way. It can be much improved and is "behind" on several fronts, but the core functionalities are superior.

What I tried...

I have re-installed evernote on my iPad, but the issues remain. I think it is related  to networking / sync that seems to delay the app and make it temporarily unresponsive.

• Like 1

Oh, look. A calm, intelligent, rational post! Thank you KrisGal. I think the goal here is to get the app to work better rather than ranting about it. (The internet makes that too easy.) I have experienced this very noticeable lag, too. It does seem like a syncing issue, and I agree it did not exist previously — at least not to this extent. I have a very fast broadband connection and, even so, have been seeing big delays in accessing notes, creating new ones, even editing existing ones. I seem the same kinds of delays over my Verizon cell network, so I don't think it has to do with network speeds. I will add that manually syncing seems to happen pretty normally -- just takes a few seconds for those arrows to stop spinning.

OmniFocus used to have these issues and somehow they fixed it. Perhaps Evernote should investigate how they did that.

17 hours ago, joshfree said:

Oh, look. A calm, intelligent, rational post! Thank you KrisGal. I think the goal here is to get the app to work better rather than ranting about it. (The internet makes that too easy.)

I'm sorry but I really have to say something here.

When we pay for something $70 per year, don't you think we are at least entitled to rant when the product we get is unusable?

You might argue how would that help? it's not a matter of whether or not it can help, what matters is that paid customers can speak up their mind, and rant if they wish to, when the product they receive for their hard earned money is as bad AND usable as Evernote ios v8 has been since released!

Very slow on IOS indeed.

Both iPhone and iPad running IOS 10.3.1, and Evernote 8.1.352228

So slow I'm considering switching to another application.

* Could Evernote please respond to this issue?

H

5 hours ago, Faisal Malallah said:

You might argue how would that help? it's not a matter of whether or not it can help, what matters is that paid customers can speak up their mind, and rant if they wish to, when the product they receive for their hard earned money is as bad AND usable as Evernote ios v8 has been since released!

Try the new release

I'm also having this problem, from about March 2017, only on iOS. E. G. I open search, it freezes for about 8-9 secs until I can type my search. Then sometimes it says no results, although I have typed the title of a note. New note: it freezes for 6 seconds.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 10:36 AM, KrisGal said:

I really think it os great software, but Evernote for iOs 10.3  have some speed issues at the moment. We just need to give some good feedback for them to fix it

I depend om EN on all the work / life I do... I love the way it enables me everyday. I have tried alternatives that look more fancy and simpler (OneNote and Notes for iOS) but Evernote is superior in it's abillity to file stuff, find it and work with stuff in a fast and effecient way. It can be much improved and is "behind" on several fronts, but the core functionalities are superior.

What I tried...

I have re-installed evernote on my iPad, but the issues remain. I think it is related  to networking / sync that seems to delay the app and make it temporarily unresponsive.

After upgrading to 8.2.3xxxx I still see lag.

Description: Today I was typing in a note and suddenly evernote stops responding while it sync's and I can resume typing after 4-6 seconds when the sync is done. I am on a 60/60 Mbit fiber line and iPad Pro, so performance should not be a problem. 

• Like 1

definite lag on iOS... very easy to replicate - on my phone it happens on new and old notes every time

• Like 1

Same problem. I takes about 3-5 seconds to write anything down. iPhone 6+ 256g updated iOS 

iPhone 6plus 64 GB, just updated iOS recently as well as app. Honestly, the new version fixed all of my terrible performance problems once the app is running. There is still a delay when opening the app, but what it seems is happening is that the app is syncing before it lets you edit notes to reduce the chance of conflicting changes. I don't always sync before I close the app and open up on my desktop and I used to always run into conflicting edits to notes and with the new app that's no longer an issue going from desktop to phone since it always syncs before edits. Yes, this update took way too long but I can honestly say it was a huge step in the right direction for performance. App is way more stable and responsive after the initial sync

Evernote is still slow. However, despite its slowness, other alternative software have much bigger problems. In my previous post, I mentioned Together and Yojimbo as possible alternatives. I have tried both products: Together (by Reinvented Software) and Yojimbo (by Bare Bones Software). My verdict is that Evernote is much superior despite its slowness. (I have also tried Microsoft OneNote, but personally I do not like its design and the way it organize its notes. Besides, web clipping feature is not so good to satisfy my needs.)

I was hoping first that Yojimbo could be a decent alternative, but the big deal breaker is that I cannot make notes on my iOS devices and only on Mac. It is syncing in only one direction, from Mac to iPad/iPhone.

Together is very buggy. I have really tried it in a few days, and it often crashes. Many of its promising features, like saving web pages as pdf or web archive, do not work as it should. It can also be slow, and I have also experienced that the content of a note can suddenly disappear while reading it! Syncing can also be buggy.

So I think I will stick to Evernote despite its slowness from time to time. I hope that the problem will be solved in a near future.

Best regards,
Aleksandar

I am not sure why was my post a waste of time. Do we not discuss the problem of Evernote's slowness and whether this is tolerable?

Some users are considering to switch to some other software, as several have said in this thread. I am still trying to find a decent alternative to Evernote given the problem of its peculiar slowness (lag), but so far I have not find a good software that have such rich features as Evernote, as explained in my previous post. I would welcome any suggestion for alternatives to Evernote if there is some good one.

Best regards,
Aleksandar

For me the solution that helped: remove the app and reinstall. (Just like we were used to do with Microsoft software in the past.)

It was laggy as hell for me too, to the point of becoming useless. The latest update (8.2.1) seems to have fixed that.

since the latest update, the lag has gone for me too. EN works fine again on my iPad Pro.

I think I can reproduce easily

create a notebook and put many notes in that one note.. it is about 2000 in my case (i have totally more than 10k notes)

and create new note and start typing

evernote will try to upload modified note to server... then typing may be damn slow

On 2017-09-22 at 8:18 PM, Jerry Jeong said:

evernote will try to upload modified note to server... then typing may be damn slow

Uploading to the server is expected activity and I wouldn't expect a slow down

How solid is your internet service?

>>create a notebook and put many notes in that one note.. it is about 2000 in my case 

Sorry, I don't have the time to test this
I would expect the upload to take some time; I'm not sure the cache could handle this at one time

On an ongoing basis, my main filing notebook has over 10k notes
No issues with adding notes

The editing section still needs a lot of attention. All of my ios devices freeze occasionally  after text selection. Often have to wait 15-30 seconds for EN to become respnsive so I can format the various size notes.

So no resolution then? Im still having this issue now in November with version 8.5.1 . Wish i had never updated

Is the activity log giving any indication of an issue?

User > Support > Activity Log

On 19/11/2017 at 7:35 AM, Tcellguy said:

My experience with the iOS client for Evernote continues to worsen to the point where I only mainly use it as a read only system.  

I have over 32,000 notes and keep only a small portion of them offline on the iPhone 6+. 

I'm fairly certain the problems are network problems - if I let Evernote finish sync so it has all the note metadata and offline notes loaded, editing is smooth.

Despite having it set to sync on wifi only, if I try to use it whilst out and about, editing is woeful and I have the same lag problems you mention - typing is several seconds between each character.

Because I have so many notes, just downloading the metadata for them takes a couple of days so I am hesitant to try deleting and re-installing as readily as most people.

It does seem to be the syncing behavior that slows things. The typing works fine on large notes for about 3 seconds then the continuous syncing kicks in and there is a 1-2 second delay between adding each additional character.