Copy and paste to Evernote from Mac Preview not working anymore

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Snowy_Mark said:

Anyone else having this problem? It is extremely frustrating.  

Works for me

Can you share some specifics;
- what kind of document are you viewing in Preview
- has it been ocr'd
- is the failure on the copy or the paste; can you paste into other apps

I'm using:

• Yosemite
  • Preview Version 8.0 (859.21)
  • Evernote V6.10 (454267 Direct)

I am also unable to copy from a PDF in Preview and paste directly to an Evernote note.

I can workaround this by going indirectly...

1. Copy from Preview
  2. Paste into TextEdit
  3. Copy from TextEdit
  4. Paste into Evernote.

Must be something in the data coming from Preview that Evernote can't handle but TextEdit can.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, vidapura said:

I am also unable to copy from a PDF in Preview and paste directly to an Evernote note.

Works for me - I didn't have to go through textedit

Also, the latest Evernote/Mac version allows text to be copied from a pdf

Hmm.. well.. it says I'm using the latest version of Evernote and it doesn't work for me from a PDF in Preview.

Are you on Yosemite?

Anyone know if there is a way to turn on debugging so I can see a console or some sort of debug output?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, vidapura said:

Are you on Yosemite?

I am a user of Evernote with a Mac, Mac OS 10.12.3 EN Version 6.11 Beta 1 (454563 Direct)

>>Anyone know if there is a way to turn on debugging so I can see a console or some sort of debug output?

There's Help > Activity Log 

4 minutes ago, vidapura said:

Hmm.. well.. it says I'm using the latest version of Evernote and it doesn't work for me from a PDF in Preview.

Are you on Yosemite?

Anyone know if there is a way to turn on debugging so I can see a console or some sort of debug output?

I don't have the issue either. I'm on the latest version of Sierra. Are you able to paste the text into other apps, e.g. Pages, Apple Notes, the comment box here in this thread, etc.? I can't help regarding debugging.

20 hours ago, chenyang0813 said:

I encountered the same problem.  I remembered that it worked well in the past: copy from preview of a pdf file and paste to the evernote. But why this happens now? 

Hi @chenyang0813. This should be resolved in one of the next two GA updates to Evernote for Mac. I don't have a timeframe for when this will be but a fix is coming.

Let me know here if you have any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem too, running Evernote 6.10 on Sierra. As noted by BSR, the new update has fixed the issue from what I can see (download link below).

In the process of researching this I also discovered a nifty shortcut: in any program, you can copy (Cmd-C) and then paste directly into a New Note in Evernote, without having to switch to it (or even open it - it opens automatically! though this may be because I have the Evernote Helper open in the background, not sure) by pressing CMD-CTRL-V.

Enjoy.

• 6 months later...

I have had this same problem off and on for months.  Typically, after some undetermined period of time, I can no longer copy/paste from or into Evernote to or from other applications, such as web browsers, text editors, etc.  This is the case for the commands chosen from the menu and for commands executed by keyboard shortcut.

There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason or a precipitating event: it just suddenly stops working.    The only fix I have found is a complete reboot of the system--shutting down Evernote and restarting the application is not sufficient.  Note that in between system reboots I will put the system to sleep overnight or for shorter periods, but I cannot trace the dysfunction to having just come out of sleep mode. 

Details: 

Evernote Version 6.11 (454874 Direct)  [I HAD TO TYPE THAT I COULD NOT COPY/PASTE IT ARRGH]

Mac Sierra 10.12.6

• Level 5*
On 25/08/2017 at 6:24 PM, Mike Furlough said:

I have had this same problem off and on for months.  Typically, after some undetermined period of time, I can no longer copy/paste from or into Evernote to or from other applications, such as web browsers, text editors, etc.  This is the case for the commands chosen from the menu and for commands executed by keyboard shortcut.

There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason or a precipitating event: it just suddenly stops working.    The only fix I have found is a complete reboot of the system--shutting down Evernote and restarting the application is not sufficient.  Note that in between system reboots I will put the system to sleep overnight or for shorter periods, but I cannot trace the dysfunction to having just come out of sleep mode. 

Details: 

Evernote Version 6.11 (454874 Direct)  [I HAD TO TYPE THAT I COULD NOT COPY/PASTE IT ARRGH]

Mac Sierra 10.12.6

Hi.  There are Betas around that include more fixes - but beware they can also include more bugs...

• 4 months later...

I continue to have this problem on MacOS High Sierra (10.13.2) with Evernote Version 6.13.3 (455969 Direct). The problem is resolved with a complete reboot of the Mac but will return at an indeterminate point in the future. The workaround that was suggested with pasting into TextEdit works but is rather tedious.

• 6 months later...

I suffered this either for 1 month and I thought that maybe I'm new to Mac pro.

And also found lots of complaints about this online without solutions. Now at least 2 solutions work for me today July 30, 2018, with the current newest version Mac OS and Evernote.

1. use Shift+Command+V instead of Command+V

2. Go to System Preferences and then Keyboard's Shortcuts tab, then choose App shortcuts.

Click the plus button at the left bottom of the pane, and give a new name which must be "Paste and Match Style" to the "Menu title" and new shortcuts (any key not a normal, I use Ctrl+S)

Archived