Evernote 8.0 IOS iPhone Painfully Slow

Very disappointed after reading the great press on 8.0 and then downloading it.    It is SLOW!    It takes seconds to open a note, and then the content doesn't show, just the header.    A few seconds later, perhaps 10 seconds, the content pops up.    Scrolling up and down the notes screen is extremely jerky.    Most of the time it is frozen.   It is SO slow I mistakenly deleted notes, and then they weren't in trash!!!   I had to boot my laptop offline to recover them there.   Prior to the upgrade, I had offline notebooks turned on.   Went in and looked, and for some reason they were turned off by the upgrade.       Turned on offline notebooks (again) and there is no way to see the progress of the download.    Syncing of added notes does not happen immediately as it did pre-upgrade.   I am very disappointed at all the fanfare around this upgrade which has now rendered one device nearly useless.   Any advice is very welcome. 

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, ckohl226 said:

Very disappointed after reading the great press on 8.0 and then downloading it.    It is SLOW!    It takes seconds to open a note, and then the content doesn't show, just the header.    A few seconds later, perhaps 10 seconds, the content pops up.    Scrolling up and down the notes screen is extremely jerky.    Most of the time it is frozen.   It is SO slow I mistakenly deleted notes, and then they weren't in trash!!!   I had to boot my laptop offline to recover them there.   Prior to the upgrade, I had offline notebooks turned on.   Went in and looked, and for some reason they were turned off by the upgrade.       Turned on offline notebooks (again) and there is no way to see the progress of the download.    Syncing of added notes does not happen immediately as it did pre-upgrade.   I am very disappointed at all the fanfare around this upgrade which has now rendered one device nearly useless.   Any advice is very welcome. 

Is the data indicator spinning like crazy at the top of your iPhone/iPad? If so, leave it alone for a bit. It is doing something in the background and that will cause it to operate slowly.It should pick up quite a bit when it isn't doing whatever it is doing.

I finally got through it.   Uninstall.  Restart Iphone.  Re-install.    Then select your offline notebooks that you want replicated locally (or confirm they are checked), set your auto-lock to NEVER, and then let your iphone sit on Wifi for a few hours and all offline notebooks will download.   The less you use your phone during this the better.    You will see that the notebooks are completed (the bar will complete under each) and then all will actually operate very quickly.    

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, ckohl226 said:

I finally got through it.   Uninstall.  Restart Iphone.  Re-install.    Then select your offline notebooks that you want replicated locally (or confirm they are checked), set your auto-lock to NEVER, and then let your iphone sit on Wifi for a few hours and all offline notebooks will download.   The less you use your phone during this the better.    You will see that the notebooks are completed (the bar will complete under each) and then all will actually operate very quickly.    

There's also a switch in Settings > Evernote for Background App Refresh

Keep Everything In Sync

This is an example of a super important, super hidden feature. For the first time on iOS, Evernote is able to keep your account updated when the app isn’t active. So, whenever you open the app, your Personal notes are all right there. No more waiting. This feature is also important in the following frequently-occurring situations:

• Offline Notebooks for Premium users
  • When you use Evernote on multiple platforms and devices
21 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There's also a switch in Settings > Evernote for Background App Refresh

Keep Everything In Sync

This is an example of a super important, super hidden feature. For the first time on iOS, Evernote is able to keep your account updated when the app isn’t active. So, whenever you open the app, your Personal notes are all right there. No more waiting. This feature is also important in the following frequently-occurring situations:

• Offline Notebooks for Premium users
  • When you use Evernote on multiple platforms and devices

Any personal experience and/or feedback received on how much this affects battery life?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jim.g said:

Any personal experience and/or feedback received on how much this affects battery life?

No experience - I'm usually plugged in anyways
It would be interesting to find out

My guess is if you're downloading a lot of data, you don't want to be running on batteries
If its just routine syncing operation, there shouldn't be too much impact

Archived