iOS app version 8.0 crashes on launch

Had to reinstall evernote on iphone, then lost ALL NOTES.

Evernote began crashing on launch on my iPhone. I noticed that after the crash I could double click the home button and see the app with one of the notes as last saved. But tapping it only crashed it again.  So I uninstalled Evernote, rebooted the phone and installed Evernote again. It doesn't crash now but all my notes have vanished, even though I logged in and know I am on the same account (the only account). I have tried syncing and it is still a blank slate with no notes. I could really use some help getting my data back!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, BCNotr said:

Had to reinstall evernote on iphone, then lost ALL NOTES.

Installing the app on devices will not cause you to loose notes that have been synced.

The master version of your notes is stored on the Evernote Servers and can be viewed using the web platform at www.evernote.com

For me, the latest update (v8.0.4) FINALLY solved the immediate "crash" problem (iPhone 6s), and without requiring me to delete and then reinstall the app.  

As others have noted, v8.0.1-3 didn't actually crash, they just immediately bounced us back out to the Home screen; the app was still running in some sense (viewable as a black screen in iOS MultiTasking view after double-clicking the Home button). https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT202070  So before downloading the 8.0.4 update, just in case, I force-quit Evernote 8.0.3 (double-click the Home button and then swipe the black Evernote screen upward), then did a full iPhone reboot for good measure.  Might not have been necessary.

I have the latest version of Evernote on my iPad Retina, and it had been working fine but this afternoon it's suddenly started crashing. I get about ten seconds in the app before it crashes on me. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app. I tried restarting my iPad. I checked the space on my iPad. (I have several gigs free.) Nothing is working. I'm a full-time student and all my readings are in Evernote, so it's going to be a rough week if I can't figure this out. :S Help!

For the record, besides the crashing, I LOVE the new version of the app. It's beautiful, clean, and a far more intuitive navigation. So no complaints there.

I'm having an issue with Evernote web. It will allow me to type a few lines of a new note or add a few lines to a previous note and then it will kick me out of that note. When I go back into the note sometimes it has saved the new information and sometimes it has not. I do not have this problem on my iphone but it's not practical for me to write all of my notes on my phone. I have tried different computers and the same thing happens. I have tried on safari, internet explorer, and google chrome and the same things happens. Any advice? 

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote has a history of being awesome but this is a catastrophic crash and burn. Not only does it crash on launch, it crashes all the time, especially when I try to make or listen to my audio messages.

Many of us LIVE in Evernote, its not some recreational app, these kinds of flaws and failings are unacceptable.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Karden said:

Not only does it crash on launch, it crashes all the time

Are you on the latest version (v8.1) 
It was reported as being more stable

I've tried the uninstall and re load etc. and still get the "crash" - (screen to black but EN is still open when you double click)

And like many here I use EN constantly and get my clients to use it also.

It's become so unstable that I have stopped recommending EN.

8.1 / iPhone 6 10.2.1 EN Premium 

What is everyone planning to move to since EN seems to be in Titanic mode?

15 hours ago, MJC625 said:

I've tried the uninstall and re load etc. and still get the "crash" - (screen to black but EN is still open when you double click)

And like many here I use EN constantly and get my clients to use it also.

It's become so unstable that I have stopped recommending EN.

8.1 / iPhone 6 10.2.1 EN Premium 

EN just came out with a new update. That solved all of the crashing issues I was having. 

I'm sticking with EN despite these bugs with the latest Version. First there is nothing out there that I'd want to switch to and I have so much data stored in EN that a move would be overwhelming. Second, it has been frustrating but it's also something that often happens when an app undergoes significant change. (The same thing also happens every time Apple changes their iOS. It takes a few weeks or months for them to iron out bugs that some users experience.) And the new changes for the iOS app are thoroughly worth it. The design and infrastructure are far more intuitive and user friendly. 

1 hour ago, theresearchant said:

I'm sticking with EN despite these bugs with the latest Version. First there is nothing out there that I'd want to switch to and I have so much data stored in EN that a move would be overwhelming. Second, it has been frustrating but it's also something that often happens when an app undergoes significant change.

Ditto. While this experience has been incredibly frustrating, hopefully it will serve as a major reminder to not update any app, program, operating system without doing some due diligence (& definitely not within the first 2-3 weeks).

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, MJC625 said:

No plans to switch my software/service.  Evernote still satisfies my requirements.

The new release (v8.1) seems stable, but I can understand user's holding off on upgrading to v8

For those wanting to downgrade, there are various processes described in forum posts.  I use iTunes on my Mac

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have come back to Evernote after a long time away and get greeted with the same problem being described here. V. 8.1 crashes on launch, even if I don't do anything - open app, look at it, 2 to 5 seconds later it crashes. I have deleted the app and re-installed. I have restarted my phone. Can't think of anything else to do. The app isn't working and is of no use to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again.

After the update of the update of the update EN has been behaving for a while, until today when the iPad version crashes immediately and repeatedly.

Tried all the usual stuff, looks like ANOTHER delete and reinstall. Boy I am fed up with this app.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, am I glad I have refrained from updating the app on my iPhone and iPAD. I would be lost without my data. I'm thinking class action lawsuit for breach of contract given that we are paying customers who are being taken for a ride. 

In all the time I have used Evernote, I never expected to see this company take such a pounding for their inability to maintain access availability. 

Shameful! 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Edwin Diaz said:

Wow, am I glad I have refrained from updating the app on my iPhone and iPAD. I would be lost without my data. I'm thinking class action lawsuit for breach of contract given that we are paying customers who are being taken for a ride. 

V8.0 is very old news.  Current version is v8.2

You should review the release discussion to see if there are issues you can't live with.   I'm holding back from upgrading until some issues get resolved

Also, it's a good idea to have a fallback; as in downgrading to a previous version

• Ellen G unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Crash on launch. Delete app per admin instructions. Reinstall. Same thing. Launch, brief view of notes and notebooks, then back to blank screen with "Devices" at the top. Repeats this about every 10 seconds. Help??? On the road too much to rely on faulty app.

Archived