• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
mrapplegate

iOS app version 8.0 crashes on launch

213 posts in this topic

I just updated the Evernote app to version 8, and it crashes on launch. I force quit the app and re-launched and got the same result. I restarted the iPhone ( 6S plus running 10.2(14C92) ) and got the same result. Another suggestions besides a reinstall, I don't want to download 7GB of data again.

Would a crash report help? I can upload one if needed.

I went ahead and submitted a support ticket, so please ignore the post if needed.

Edited by mrapplegate
Added txt to indicate I sent a support ticket in
3 people like this

I get the same result

1 person likes this

Very disappointed that the new version 8 app crashes on launch

3 people like this

Hi, same symptoms as mrapplegate.  I downloaded to an iPad and now Evernote crashes on launch.

I was able to send a crash log with my ticket, so hopefully they can fix it soon.

Support just emailed me and wants me to re-install the app.

I told them I am a Pro user since 2008 and have about 8GB of notes synced to my iPhone & iPad which I would rather not have to download again.

I asked if there was another solution.

1 person likes this

I'm not having an issue of crash on launching but it crashes whenever I select one specific notebook. Happens both on my iPhone and iPad 

Hi everyone, 

Our development team has been made aware of this crash issue. Thanks for taking the time to swing by and report it. 

If rebooting your device does not resolve the issue, a reinstall will. 

To reinstall Evernote for iOS follow these steps:

1. From the home screen, tap and hold the Evernote icon until it starts to jiggle
2. Tap X, then Delete
3. Restart your iOS device
4. Download Evernote from the App Store

If this does not resolve the issue, please let us know by posting here!

6 people like this

OK, thanks for the quick response.  When I get to Step 2, it warns me that it will also delete my data.  I guess that's just the local data and it will download my data again?  Probably a dumb question, but just in case....

Right, they told me a re-install might fix the issue, but the bottom line is I sync all my notes and notebooks to my iPhone and iPad. Re-downloading 8 GB on both devices is a pain in the a$$. You understand how this does not look good for Evernote. I'm sure some Q&A is done before releasing the update, but this is crazy. I'd rather wait and not use Evernote and see if the 8.1 update fixes it. 

Either way support should find other solutions rather than the "stock" reply of re-install the app.I'm not mad at you the messenger, just the company.

2 people like this

I had the same issue with Version 8.0 and did a reinstall. Everything came back and quickly. Not sure I like the new format.

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Kiwiguy said:

OK, thanks for the quick response.  When I get to Step 2, it warns me that it will also delete my data.  I guess that's just the local data and it will download my data again?  Probably a dumb question, but just in case....

This message is referring to deleting content from the device specifically, not your account. Once you reinstall and sign back in, you'll have access to your notes again. 

DItto.  I just downloaded 8.0 and it crashes immediately with IOS 10.2.

Yes, thanks, I assumed that's how it works.  I downloaded and I have access to everything again. Fortunately I don't have a lot of data.  Thanks again.

Mine crashed on first attempt, noting a specific note's failure to sync. After that it's opening and running fine.

Wish I had checked this forum before downloading. Same result, nice attempt at simplicity but it simply doesn't work.

crashes and won't sync.

evernote should have tested. More before releasing.

Did all the steps. Obviously there is a renewal of the EN data upon update which causes the crash. (iOS 10.2.1)

Restart did not help. Delete and Re-install did the trick.

However, inconvenient to say the least. As I have EN on two more iOS devices please inform once you have resolved the crash issue upon update!

Thx, EvB

Crashed on launch for me too. Only fix was to remove and reinstall the app.

Not sure if it's related, but when I search a notebook (in search field seen after pulling down the left column), and then select a search result, the WRONG item is displayed! Wow.

Me too! It worked fine when I deleted and reinstalled it. I hate the new format. There's so many things I hate about it  that I don't know where to start.  I may be a candidate for OneNote!

1 person likes this

I'm very disappointed! Like others I upgraded and now the app immediately crashes when I open it.  I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall forcing me to have to resync all my data.  Not a pleasant thought.

i want to add one bit of information for the delevlopers trying to debug this mess.  When Evernote crashes, it is actually still in memory,  if I tap the start button twice on my iPad to view what apps are running I see the attached screen. Selecting the running instance of evernote results in another crash.  

Someone fire the QA department.

Oh wait, this damn website won't let me freakin' upload the image because it exceeds 500k.  Ridiculous,

time to look at OneNote again.

2 people like this

Having the same issue. Crashes on launch. Will attempt deleting and reinstalling. I won't update my iPad. 

Update: yup. That worked. *sigh. 

Having same issue on iPhone (iOS 10.2) and iPad (iOS 10.1).

I choose not reinstalling and wait for fixing the problem ASAP.

Tks

V

Same here. Instant crash on launch. Please issue an update asap. 

I've left review about this on App Store too. 

1 person likes this

I have the same issue iOS 10.2, iPhone 5, premium user .

I cannot believe Evernote did not try this more thoroughly before release this update. Next time I'll wait for X.1 version and avoid X.0 like plague.

Unsinstalling/Reinstalling really looks like something you have to do with crappy applications.

Evernote: you s c r e w the most basic step with upgrading your app. I hope you did better with upgrading our data...

2 people like this

Same issue here, iOS 10.2 iPhone 5S, Premium User.

What can I say? So annoyed about this. Rebooting didn't work so now trying the reinstall route and the long wait for notes to sync.

I am amazed how a comapny repeatedly shoots itself in both feet with ill-tested and ill-thought out enhancements to a once great product.

I really think that I might have to make the switch back to OneNote (shudder)

Not happy.

2 people like this