iOS app version 8.0 crashes on launch

I just updated the Evernote app to version 8, and it crashes on launch. I force quit the app and re-launched and got the same result. I restarted the iPhone ( 6S plus running 10.2(14C92) ) and got the same result. Another suggestions besides a reinstall, I don't want to download 7GB of data again.

Would a crash report help? I can upload one if needed.

I went ahead and submitted a support ticket, so please ignore the post if needed.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to send a crash log with my ticket, so hopefully they can fix it soon.

Support just emailed me and wants me to re-install the app.

I told them I am a Pro user since 2008 and have about 8GB of notes synced to my iPhone & iPad which I would rather not have to download again.

I asked if there was another solution.

Hi everyone, 

Our development team has been made aware of this crash issue. Thanks for taking the time to swing by and report it. 

If rebooting your device does not resolve the issue, a reinstall will. 

To reinstall Evernote for iOS follow these steps:

1. From the home screen, tap and hold the Evernote icon until it starts to jiggle
2. Tap X, then Delete
3. Restart your iOS device
4. Download Evernote from the App Store

If this does not resolve the issue, please let us know by posting here!

Right, they told me a re-install might fix the issue, but the bottom line is I sync all my notes and notebooks to my iPhone and iPad. Re-downloading 8 GB on both devices is a pain in the a$$. You understand how this does not look good for Evernote. I'm sure some Q&A is done before releasing the update, but this is crazy. I'd rather wait and not use Evernote and see if the 8.1 update fixes it. 

Either way support should find other solutions rather than the "stock" reply of re-install the app.I'm not mad at you the messenger, just the company.

• Ellen G pinned and featured this topic
8 minutes ago, Kiwiguy said:

OK, thanks for the quick response.  When I get to Step 2, it warns me that it will also delete my data.  I guess that's just the local data and it will download my data again?  Probably a dumb question, but just in case....

This message is referring to deleting content from the device specifically, not your account. Once you reinstall and sign back in, you'll have access to your notes again. 

Did all the steps. Obviously there is a renewal of the EN data upon update which causes the crash. (iOS 10.2.1)

Restart did not help. Delete and Re-install did the trick.

However, inconvenient to say the least. As I have EN on two more iOS devices please inform once you have resolved the crash issue upon update!

Thx, EvB

Crashed on launch for me too. Only fix was to remove and reinstall the app.

Not sure if it's related, but when I search a notebook (in search field seen after pulling down the left column), and then select a search result, the WRONG item is displayed! Wow.

I'm very disappointed! Like others I upgraded and now the app immediately crashes when I open it.  I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall forcing me to have to resync all my data.  Not a pleasant thought.

i want to add one bit of information for the delevlopers trying to debug this mess.  When Evernote crashes, it is actually still in memory,  if I tap the start button twice on my iPad to view what apps are running I see the attached screen. Selecting the running instance of evernote results in another crash.  

Someone fire the QA department.

Oh wait, this damn website won't let me freakin' upload the image because it exceeds 500k.  Ridiculous,

time to look at OneNote again.

I have the same issue iOS 10.2, iPhone 5, premium user .

I cannot believe Evernote did not try this more thoroughly before release this update. Next time I'll wait for X.1 version and avoid X.0 like plague.

Unsinstalling/Reinstalling really looks like something you have to do with crappy applications.

Evernote: you s c r e w the most basic step with upgrading your app. I hope you did better with upgrading our data...

Same issue here, iOS 10.2 iPhone 5S, Premium User.

What can I say? So annoyed about this. Rebooting didn't work so now trying the reinstall route and the long wait for notes to sync.

I am amazed how a comapny repeatedly shoots itself in both feet with ill-tested and ill-thought out enhancements to a once great product.

I really think that I might have to make the switch back to OneNote (shudder)

Not happy.

I've reinstalled on the iPhone. 

I must admit the new version looks simpler at first glance, we shall see. However, I will wait before going through the process on the iPad, hopefully Evernote will fix this mess.

shame on them for not testing it properly. It reminds me of Microsoft years ago when they would release a rubbish upgrade and expect the users to be guinea pigs.

I am a long time user of Evernote.  The iPad update worked perfectly.  I am very disappointed in the issues with the latest update (8.0) on the iPhone.  That said, this is something that happens with technology from time to time and Evernote posted the fix quickly.  If you follow the steps posted by the administrator to delete the app and the restart the iPhone, while slightly inconvenient, it does solve the problem and all my notes populated quickly.

Going forward, once something like this is discovered, it would be helpful and proactive if rather than having to come to the support community to find out what is going on, Evernote immediately communicates via email just as they did to alert us to go download the new update in the first place.  This will save much frustration and goes a long way toward customer satisfaction and goodwill.

12 minutes ago, Eddie Turner said:

I am a long time user of Evernote.  The iPad update worked perfectly.  I am very disappointed in the issues with the latest update (8.0) on the iPhone.  That said, this is something that happens with technology from time to time and Evernote posted the fix quickly.  If you follow the steps posted by the administrator to delete the app and the restart the iPhone, while slightly inconvenient, it does solve the problem and all my notes populated quickly.

Going forward, once something like this is discovered, it would be helpful and proactive if rather than having to come to the support community to find out what is going on, Evernote immediately communicates via email just as they did to alert us to go download the new update in the first place.  This will save much frustration and goes a long way toward customer satisfaction and goodwill.

Jep, in particular for premium users with multiple devices.

1 hour ago, Eddie Turner said:

...  That said, this is something that happens with technology from time to time and Evernote posted the fix quickly.  If you follow the steps posted by the administrator to delete the app and the restart the iPhone, while slightly inconvenient, it does solve the problem and all my notes populated quickly...

I don't consider this a fix, just a work-around. And with the Apple approval cycle being what it is, it may take a week or so before a true fix is released.

That said, I agree with your customer service sentiment to send an email alert out and offer the workaround to Evernote subscribers, and in addition I would recommend to update the App Store description at the very top to advise of this bug/issue and guide affected users to the workaround blog piece - and not make them research this on forums in order to find out what's going on.

In all I am still a fan of Evernote and it has been very solid and bug free over the years. IMHO Providing transparency to their user base would only enhance Evernote's reputation.

I too had this issue with Evernote 8 and iOS 10.2. I deleted the app and reinstalled and that fixed things. I had an additional crash when downloading all of my notes after the install. For what it's worth, the changes to the iOS version seem to simplify things and the ease of adding notes of various types on the go is a welcome change.

Just now, kalani said:

I'm in the same boat as many other early adopter users.  Do you have a fix other than reinstalling?

Support told me they had no idea, since it was so soon. I told them I guess I have no choice but to reinstall. 

Day two and I am still downloading my data. A pain in the a$$.

On 1/17/2017 at 11:39 AM, Ellen G said:

Hi everyone, 

Our development team has been made aware of this crash issue. Thanks for taking the time to swing by and report it. 

1. From the home screen, tap and hold the Evernote icon until it starts to jiggle
2. Tap X, then Delete

Thanks. This suggestion worked well and quickly.

So is our only solution to this a complete reinstall? Is there any chance that an app update is coming that will resolve this?  Like others I'd rather not have to resync  all my data. Besides I am pretty sure I have some unsynced notes on my IPad.

Guest 158966_1450303600

Upgrade version 8.0.1 on iPhone 5S appears to be working okay with iOS 10.2 AFTER deletion and reinstallation. Only had 4000 notes to restore.

Email notification of problem and fix would have been appreciated. Had to wait until home to research and receive uninstall/reinstall.

I've been using Evernote for some years and now all of a sudden the app won't stay open on my iPad.  I also have it on my PC. If I delete it from my iPad and re-install will the information from my PC automatically re-install on the iPad? Please help because I need this for a presentation on tomorrow.

Had the same experience on my iPhone 5S running iOS 10.2 - had to remove the Evernote app - download/install it again - sign back in, then it finally started working.**deleted my grumpy opinion**  In any case, that is what worked for me.

dave

I cannot Open Evernote on my iPhone 6S running IOS 10.1.1  -- when it opens it immediately shut downs - and defaults to the home screen - It is behind the home screen But will not open  --  It is fine on my desktop 

If I delete it will it reload and work and I upgraded to pro how will that continue?

I am amazed.  Evernote pushes out a quick update to 8.0 and guess what, it doesn't work either.   HELLO quality assurance department, you are all terminated.  Pack your bags and leave immediately. This is ridiculous.

I am NOT going to uninstall and wait hours to resync my data.  Get this fixed.

Totally pissed off - I am on holiday and had all my trip and shopping lists in Evernote; to have to reinstall an application (and download all the data!!) is totally unacceptable - you are not some crappy little start up company - why wasn't the release properly tested??

As a Premium member (and on behalf of all the other premium members) I think that we should get compensation - discount on annual fee or even a free year....

I'm not joking....totally annoyed here....

I've just been through a painful process of trying to get Evernote V8.0 (and 8.01) to open on my iPhone 6 and iPad. In my case, the problem appears to be because I am a Basic User (i.e. free) and have two devices, an iPhone 6 and an iPad. Evernote seems to think that the old version which has been deleted is still active and so believes that you have too many devices registered.

Hard luck if you have not synced your notes from either or both devices between writing them offline and updating the app. If you read this before updating, hold off and sync your notes using the old version, then carry on as below. If you read it after updating and have notes which you have not synced, wait and see if Evernote comes up with a fix for this problem.

If you are like me, here are the steps you need to take to allow V8 to work, pending a fix from Evernote:

• uninstall Evernote on the first device (you will lose your notes but there is no other way)
  • reinstall Evernote on the first device
  • log in to the app (you did keep a note of your login and password, didn't you?)
  • you will see a message saying you have three devices registered 
  • unless you really want to pay to upgrade, ignore that offer (maybe even if you do, because I received three emails offering a 40% discount after I went through this process)
  • choose to keep access from two and revoke access from one of your three devices, which will include the old version on your current device - the one to revoke access from (watch out - on my iPad 3, Evernote identified my current device as 'iPhone - iPad 3' and the old version as 'iPad - iPad 3')
  • the new version will now start
  • repeat the above for the other device

Same problems here. Only fix was to delete and reinstall. I HATE the new format. Makes getting to the notes I want a lot more difficult and navigation is also more complex. Bring back the old method of organization and access to notes. New version sucks.

25 minutes ago, petepope said:

Same problems here. Only fix was to delete and reinstall. I HATE the new format. Makes getting to the notes I want a lot more difficult and navigation is also more complex. Bring back the old method of organization and access to notes. New version sucks.

This version looks like it was designed for a phone so on an iPad it more than awkward to use. Try looking at this on a full size iPad, it's just dreadful. I really dont like it at all. I was a huge Evernote fan and am now terribly disappointed. I am now worried that the Mac version will be changed to this new format so I have little choice to find another product.

On 17/01/2017 at 8:39 PM, Ellen G said:

Hi everyone, 

2. Tap X, then Delete

Dear Evernote team,

I have several gigabytes of data that is synchronised over several mobile devices. So deleting and reinstalling is not a solution. 

Do you know when we can get a fix?

Best regards

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Loes said:

As suggested, I reinstalled but now all of my data is gone. It also says I started using Evernote January 2017...what went wrong??

Be sure you signed in with the right user name and password. 

2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

There is an 8.0.1 release out.  Failing that the recommendation is to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Thanks, but that means losing all my work - pretty bad marketing on their part! I'm holding off for a few days to see if they fix the fault.

• Level 5*
Just now, Chris Row said:

Thanks, but that means losing all my work - pretty bad marketing on their part! I'm holding off for a few days to see if they fix the fault.

Not sure what you mean by losing all your work.  The removal/install does not effect your data which is on the EN servers.  After the install your note synopses will be downloaded to your iDevice.

28 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Not sure what you mean by losing all your work.  The removal/install does not effect your data which is on the EN servers.  After the install your note synopses will be downloaded to your iDevice.

Thanks, but I'm not sure mine is backed up as I don't seem to have a login! 

• Level 5*

The web is where all the notes you see on your iDevice are stored.  Sometimes second accounts get set up accidentally.  Go to the web and verify you are using the right id and password.  Then use that id and password on your iDevice and the notes will download to your device.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:19 PM, kalani said:

I'm in the same boat as many other early adopter users.  Do you have a fix other than reinstalling?

Just saying...the 8.01 version crashes as well on an iPhone 6 running 10.2.

2 hours ago, csihilling said:

Uninstall not work?

Like many others here I have no intention of uninstalling and re-installing.  First, I have data on my iPad that I am pretty sure has not yet been synced to my iPad.   (Believe it or not, out here in the real world some of us actually use or iPads while disconnected from the internet.)  And second, I have a lot of data I really don't want to spend time redownloading to my iPad.

This problem just needs to be fixed.

I did the uninstall and reinstall, worked great. on opening up came a screen asking me to choose 2 of my devices or upgrade. I have no need of 3 devices, but I can not get past a sign out screen that tells me I will be signed out of whatever device I am on, unless I upgrade. I have chosen my iPad and my iMac and this screen just keeps coming up on both devices. The only way I can get to my Evernote is online, which I hate. This business is taking up too much of my tie right now - I'd like a solution so I can use my Evernote. HELP!

I'm having the same issue as so many others: version 8 crashes on my iPad 4. I deleted the app, rebooted iPad, then reinstalled the app. Still crashing. Can we please go back to previous version? That worked just fine. Tell your development manager "If it ain't broke...don't 'fix' it" 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, GShell said:

Like many others here I have no intention of uninstalling and re-installing.  First, I have data on my iPad that I am pretty sure has not yet been synced to my iPad.   (Believe it or not, out here in the real world some of us actually use or iPads while disconnected from the internet.)  And second, I have a lot of data I really don't want to spend time redownloading to my iPad.

This problem just needs to be fixed.

I'm assuming this is the same real world I live in?  Remarkably sometimes I use my iPad disconnected as well, though not often. 

EN stepped on themselves with this update for sure.  Hopefully they can develop a fix in place.  Hope they do, but if not...

Have the same problem.  Can see part of my last note when double press my home button.  Suggesting data is there, Evernote can open, but crashes thereafter.  I have a couple notes apparently unsynced, since I cannot see them on my other devices.  Would hate to do an uninstall.  Would an uninstall change my previously locally accessible data to web access only?

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Chris Row said:

Do my notes automatically get back up from my iPad even if I did not have an account? 

You set up an account when you started using Evernote.
Possibly you meant paid account

There is a level of backup when your notes are sync'd to the Evernote servers
- If your device breaks or gets lost, your notes are still available in your account
- You can access your notes via a web browser
- Evernote has backup processes for the server data

My preference is to add additional levels of backup
- note history to restore a previous version of a note
- external access to notes if Evernote is not available

15 hours ago, Lslukas said:

I did the uninstall and reinstall, worked great. on opening up came a screen asking me to choose 2 of my devices or upgrade. I have no need of 3 devices, but I can not get past a sign out screen that tells me I will be signed out of whatever device I am on, unless I upgrade. I have chosen my iPad and my iMac and this screen just keeps coming up on both devices. The only way I can get to my Evernote is online, which I hate. This business is taking up too much of my tie right now - I'd like a solution so I can use my Evernote. HELP!

I agree, I have an iPhone 6S with Evernote and an iPad. Both do not work. I use my iphone to scan business cards. I finally decided to reinstall the Evernote app on my iPad. It solved the problem and I am currently resyncing, but I do not understand why that is necessary. This is just bad programming!

I'm getting the constant crashes on my iPad too. Tried reinstalling and it did not work - still crashing constantly. I haven't dared open it on my phone. I am deeply unimpressed, especially as the old layout was perfectly fine and frankly looked a lot nicer.

Evernote, please roll back this toxic update and let us have the old version again. It worked fine!

Have done the uninstall and reinstall, now it wants to make me select devices, and I do.  After which I am in an unending loop of selecting device and again and again.  Evernote keeps telling me it is on my iPhone and it isn't.  I use it strictly on my iPad and desktop

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

You set up an account when you started using Evernote.
Possibly you meant paid account

There is a level of backup when your notes are sync'd to the Evernote servers
- If your device breaks or gets lost, your notes are still available in your account
- You can access your notes via a web browser
- Evernote has backup processes for the server data

My preference is to add additional levels of backup
- note history to restore a previous version of a note
- external access to notes if Evernote is not available

I tested this by loading the software on an iPhone, but it does not recognise my account and has none of my notes. Somewhat concerned.

Dear all,

Since the latest upgrade of Evernote for IOS, I cannot open the evenote app anymore on my Iphone. On the top of that, the data synchronization is not operating anymore. Thank you very for your suggestion and assistance. Best regards. Emmanuel Binlich. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Chris Row said:

but it does not recognise my account and has none of my notes.

You enter your account id and password; that's how you get access to your notes

This must be the same account id used when you created the notes

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, crnkbait said:

Have done the uninstall and reinstall, now it wants to make me select devices, and I do. 

How are you selecting your devices

There is a list in account settings under "manage devices"

I select my devices and continue and then I get a screen that tells me that I will be logged out of my current device, or I can upgrade. No other options. thats it. This screen about being logged out appears on both my iPad and my iMac, which i did not upgrade. Screen still appears. Stuck not being able to use either of the chosen devices. I took a screen shot but its apparently too large a file to upload here. 

I'd really appreciate some help with this. I don't need the bells and whistles, I don't need to upgrade. I barely use my phone for anything but calls

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Lslukas said:

I select my devices and continue and then I get a screen that tells me that I will be logged out of my current device

How about trying this
Log out of Evernote on all your devices; make sure you sync first

Go back to your manage device list
Revoke access to all devices except the one you want to use

On your device, log in to Evernote

Archived