Getting to Know Evernote v8.0

Hey everyone!

Our development team has been working hard to improve the Evernote experience on iOS. Here's a quick overview of some things that have changed and some highly anticipated additions.

Home Page Changes:

The home page has been removed. The Evernote application will now open directly in the All Notes view, or in whatever location you were last in. If the application is fully closed (you press twice on the Home button and swipe up on the Evernote app), the app will open in All Notes, not in the location you last accessed. There's also a new location for accessing notes, global search, creating a new note, shortcuts, and your Account Settings.

image.png

Where are all my notebooks?

To view your notebook list:

1. Select the ‘Notes’ tab to bring up your note list
  2. From any note list, tap ‘All Notes’, the notebook name, or the drop down at the top of screen  

How do I change the sort order of a note list?

To change the sort order, go to the ‘Note List Options’ screen, and select  ‘date created’ or ‘note title’.

To view the ‘Note List Options’ screen:

• From the ‘All Notes’ list view: Tap the options button (three dots) to see your note list sorting and viewing options.
  • From the note list view in any opened notebook: Tap the options button (three dots), then select ‘Note List Options’.

Note: To view a list of reminder notes sorted with overdue and upcoming notes first, tap the notebook name, then select ‘Reminders’ from the notebook list.

Note Changes:

Note Options (...) has moved and changed a bit:

image.png

What happened to presentation mode?

Presentation mode is no longer available in Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. You can use AirPlay to mirror your screen, or you can use presentation mode in Evernote for Mac or Windows.

The formatting bar has changed:

image.png

And these are all the newly added formatting features (!!!):

image.png

Notebook Changes:

Location of Notebook Settings has changed:

image.png

Notebook Options (...) menu has changed:

image.png

Creating a new notebook is a bit different:

image.png

Account Settings:

Settings is in a new spot, and the options within it have changed:

image.png

Quick FAQ:

Where can I find Work Chat?

Work Chat has moved to the account info area. To view and send Work Chats, select the ‘Account’ tab in the tab bar.

How do I move notes between notebooks?

To move notes between notebooks, select a note, then tap the name of the current notebook located just above the note title. Select the notebook where you want to move the note to.

How do I move personal notes to business notebooks (Evernote Business only)?

To move a personal note to a business notebook:    

1. Tap the notebook drop down from the top of the screen
  2. Tap ‘Move to another account’
  3. Select the business notebook you’d like to move it to

How do I create a notebook stack?

To create a notebook stack, drag one notebook on top of another in your notebook list. Give your stack a name. Add more notebooks by dragging additional notebooks into the stack list.

How do I access business notebooks from my company's Evernote account? (Evernote Business only)

To view any business notebooks you have access to, you’ll first need to switch to your company’s Evernote account. To switch to your company account:

1. Select the ‘Account’ tab
  2. Tap your account name
  3. Select the company account

Interested in learning more?

Check out this Help & Learning Center article: What's New in Evernote 8.0 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch?

and @cifip's post with additional details about what's changed here.

1 hour ago, mwhartweger said:

Just installed 8.0 on my iPad and iPhone. I now have a number on my Evernote App icon. What does this mean? Where is this number/quantity coming from?

44 minutes ago, Skooterpunk said:

I have the same thing. 

The badge icon on the Evernote app is most likely indicating past due Reminders. Swiping down on the notes list and tapping the Reminders icon (looks like an alarm clock) should allow you to view all scheduled and past due Reminders. Scroll through the list to clear the badge from the Evernote app icon.

image.png

If scrolling through the Reminders list doesn't clear the badge, check Work Chat within the Account Settings for any unread messages.

One question. I am using the new version on my iPad, and I also access Evernote on other devices.  Is there a way to force it to sync; i.e. upload my changes?  Often I finish note-taking on my iPad at a meeting, and I want to sync right then.  

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Kiwiguy said:

Is there a way to force it to sync; i.e. upload my changes? 

"Sync Now" on the Account Settings screen

Also, notes have a sync status indicator

First off, it won't launch on my ipad  

After re-installation: Simplicity is GOOD. Killing presentation mode is BAD.

This is a key feature for me and will influence my decision to renew my premium account and maintain my evernote-based workflow in 2017. 

echt schade. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Matthias F. said:

Thank you a lot for the fresh and new looking iOS version of Evernote. One important thing I'm missing: How can I launch my saved searches?

Do they not appear when you press the magnifying glass icon?

Note: To view a list of reminder notes sorted with overdue and upcoming notes first, tap the notebook name, then select ‘Reminders’ from the notebook list.

--

Can any one help me here, I can't find where to select 'Reminder' from the notebook list either from my iPad and iPhone, this new version is really driving me crazy!!

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, SWang said:

Can any one help me here, I can't find where to select 'Reminder' from the notebook list either from my iPad and iPhone, this new version is really driving me crazy!!

In the Notebook List, I see All Notes, then Reminders

In a specific notebook, I see icons for Reminders (clock) and Tags

IMG_1520.PNG     IMG_1521.PNG

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

In the Notebook List, I see All Notes, then Reminders

In a specific notebook, I see icons for Reminders (clock) and Tags

Thank you, DTlow! But what I learned here is, the Remider Notes are sorted perfectly by Overdue & Upcoming in All Notes, but if I select a specific notebook, then select the Reminder (clock), and it doesn't come up with the sorting by Overdue & Upcoming for the Reminder Notes in the specific notebook, how come??

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, SWang said:

Thank you, DTlow! But what I learned here is, the Remider Notes are sorted perfectly by Overdue & Upcoming in All Notes, but if I select a specific notebook, then select the Reminder (clock), and it doesn't come up with the sorting by Overdue & Upcoming for the Reminder Notes in the specific notebook, how come??

Because, IMO, EN missed it in their redesign.  Mystery to me, seems a pretty simple and logical use case that worked in v7. 

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Do they not appear when you press the magnifying glass icon?

No, they don't. I have to re-construct and save them in Evernote iOS 8 (do the search and save it with the magnifying glass icon with the plus sign). The problem /bug is: The sync of saved searches actually works only in one direction: from Evernote for iOS to Evernote for Win Web Browser - but not back.

22 hours ago, Matthias F. said:

Thank you a lot for the fresh and new looking iOS version of Evernote. One important thing I'm missing: How can I launch my saved searches?

Yes, everything is GOOD in the new iOS Version, except one missing option: Where are my saved searches gone, they aren't synchronized. This is not good :-(

14 hours ago, BeaglePapa61 said:

Yes, everything is GOOD in the new iOS Version, except one missing option: Where are my saved searches gone, they aren't synchronized. This is not good :-(

I had to re-construct and save them in Evernote iOS 8 (do the search and save it with the magnifying glass icon with the plus sign). The problem /bug is: The sync of saved searches actually works only in one direction: from Evernote for iOS to Evernote for Win Web Browser - but not back.

Removing Presentation mode was one a huge mistake! First of all — WHY???
I used this feature very often! While reading an article screen did not switched off, the article has been expended to full screen, also I used it to show up recipes while cooking without turning on the screen every minute.
I'm very disappointed! Without this feature I totally don't care about all the new "great" stuff. Please think twice about turning it back or I will have to think about quiting the subscribtion (I do not want it though). :(

Thanks for a new fresh look. I generally like it, but I have one problem. I use saved searches to see reminders for 1, 2, 3 etc days, up to a week, but can't figure out how to see them sorted in the new version. As other pointed out, the sorting only seems to work when you select Reminders in the Notebook list. The whole point of my saved searches is that I normally don't want to see all my reminders, only those for a particular time span.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, RMK said:

I use saved searches to see reminders for 1, 2, 3 etc days, up to a week, but can't figure out how to see them sorted in the new version. As other pointed out, the sorting only seems to work when you select Reminders in the Notebook list. The whole point of my saved searches is that I normally don't want to see all my reminders, only those for a particular time span.

My saved searches list is in alpha order - I accessed them using the search icon in the sidebar. 

I have my most used searches in my Shortcuts area

Ah, sorry for being unclear. My saved searches are there, no problem. But when I for example use my saved search for seeing reminders for 3 days, I can't find any way to see them sorted. I just see the notes with reminders within a 3 day range in a random list. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, RMK said:

I just see the notes with reminders within a 3 day range in a random list. 

The note list shouldn't be random ordered

If you click on the ... you can assign the sort sequnce; title, create date, update date

Yes, but I don't want to sort in either of those ways. By "random", I guess the notes are sorted by update date, which is of no use, when I want see the notes in the reminder order. This was really easy in previous IOS versions.

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-21 at 9:13 AM, RMK said:

I want see the notes in the reminder order. This was really easy in previous IOS versions.

Edited: Clicking on the Reminders instead of the clock icon shows your notes in reminder date sequence

Reminder date sequence has been reported in the feedback discussion.  We're waiting to see if the change was intended or gets rectified

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

My saved searches are in alpha order - I accessed them using the search icon in the sidebar. 

I have my most used searches in my Shortcuts area

And this helps someone who wants them sorted in date order how?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The note list shouldn't be random ordered

If you click on the ... you can assign the sort sequnce; title, create date, update date

Not withing notebooks in the new IOS version which is the point of the issue.

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, csihilling said:

And this helps someone who wants them sorted in date order how?

I was commenting on the order for the saved searches list

As it turns out, the op did want her reminders in reminder date sequence; a feature missing in the new release

42 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Not within notebooks in the new IOS version which is the point of the issue.

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 11.28.38 AM.png

I have sequence options within notebooks by clicking the ...

Note: This is not a saved setting like in Windows

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I have sequence options within notebooks by clicking the ...

Note: This is not a saved setting like in Windows

For sure, but the point still is you can't sort by reminder date within Notebooks in the new IOS.  PITA if you have reminder searches, like next 7 days for example.

The loss of presentation mode is disastrous. I used this frequently. I literally noticed it within minutes of opening Evernote 8. 

The interface looks goofy with a black bar at the left of the screen cutting the carrier name at the top in half. Easy fix, please do it.

Search is utterly broken. I can't select documents that I search for. 

At this point I am actively trying to figure out how to downgrade to 7 and am trying the OneNote import for all of my content from Evernote. My workflow has been severely disrupted.

Hi All,

While I am not experiencing as many issues as most of you here, I am still wondering what happened with "Places" from the old version. It seems it was just removed and I cannot find a single thread on it on the internet. As if nobody was really using it. Am I the only one missing it? (I don't want to use an additional app like IdeaPlaces by the way).

David

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, David56 said:

I am still wondering what happened with "Places" from the old version. It seems it was just removed and I cannot find a single thread on it on the internet.

"Places" was mentioned here

37 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Most users are getting the software and upgrades at no cost

Some of the features removed, presentation mode most specifically, are limited to premium subscribers. So this update removed a feature many of us rely on **and pay for**.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Uncle Bob said:

Some of the features removed, presentation mode most specifically, are limited to premium subscribers. So this update removed a feature many of us rely on **and pay for**.

I was wondering about the charge for the Premium Mode feature
Aside from the issue of dopping a paid feature, I'd think we should be entitled to immediately cancel our subscription and get our money back, or at least prorated

I suspect somewhere in the legalese, we agreed that Evernote has the right to remove features

btw   My subscription page still says Presentation is a premium feature.  No mention of a platform restriction

At this point I can't even edit notes. 

I have imported everything into Bear and am testing it. 

I don't care about Android or Windows so it's a good option for me.

I am astonished Evernote would release something this buggy and incomplete. I need a way to install Evernote 7 and actually get work done ASAP, or I am moving on. This is actively disrupting my job. 

This is shameful.

The function the allowed Calendar to automatically fill in the note heading was nice.  It was taken away for some unknown reason. I dont know why I have to grant access to my calendar if Evernote doesn't even use it.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, justacat said:

Did nobody else use snippet mode? Is there any way to get it back that I am missing? 

Can you give more detail as to what snippet "features" you like?

14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you give more detail as to what snippet "features" you like?

Yes. Summaries of multiple notes ("snippets) (on my iPad mini in landscape mode  I can see about 6-7 of these) in a vertical list down the left side, with the snippet containing the title, the created or updated date (depending on sort order), the first sentence or two of each note, and a tiny thumbnail;  and the "selected" note showing in the entire primary window on the right. Just like snippet mode in the Windows desktop (I don't know about the Mac). So when I'm looking at a note I can still see all the snippets down the left side, and selecting any of them will change the focused note in the right window while not changing the list of snippets. No huge cards taking up too much real estate.

ETA: The "features" I like being :

1) Seeing a list with context info of *as many as possible* of the notes I'm looking at (whether a search or a notebook or all notes or whatever), at the same time as being able to see an entire note from that list

2) Being able to switch the focused note without affecting the list of notes I'm looking at

3) Being able to scroll through the list of notes without changing the focused note

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, justacat said:

snippet containing the title, the created or updated date (depending on sort order), the first sentence or two of each note, and a tiny thumbnail; 

I see a few options for the list.  Text, thumbnail, size 

You should put back the Home Screen or at least have the option for you customers to use it. For me the new version without the Home Screen is a disaster. I'm really considering cancelling my account. I had not use as I did before the Evernote App on my smart devices. The MAC App still Ok. I also noticed the Web App also change, the Home Screen is not there anymore.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, RubasGo said:

You should put back the Home Screen or at least have the option for you customers to use it. For me the new version without the Home Screen is a disaster. I'm really considering cancelling my account. I had not use as I did before the Evernote App on my smart devices. The MAC App still Ok. I also noticed the Web App also change, the Home Screen is not there anymore.

You could submit a feature request, but I'm seeing this as a trend - the minimalized home screen

I'm not seeing it as a disaster; it's different but we'll get used to it

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You could submit a feature request, but I'm seeing this as a trend - the minimalize home screen

I'm not seeing it as a disaster; it's different but we'll get used to it

You and the mouse in your pocket?  ;)

Hi there, is there a way to update the due date/ time of reminders without going into the reminder?

In the old version I used to use reminders as a to do list, shuffling things around several times a day according to my changing priorities by just swiping left on a reminder from the list view and clicking the calendar icon that appeared. Now when I try that in the new version I don't have the option anymore so have to go into each individual reminder, then click on the alarm clock icon, then select change date etc. Much more time consuming...

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Claire Earl said:

is there a way to update the due date/ time of reminders without going into the reminder?

I think you're referring to the manual adjustment of note order on the Reminder Page
This was available in previous IOS versions, but was dropped in v8.0

We were told there's future enhancements for Reminders

We can still do this in the Shortcut Page

My solution is to switch to Title sequence and adding a prefix to the note title

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

My solution is to switch to Title sequence and adding a prefix to the note title

Why do we need a workaround for something which once worked just fine?  A question we might ask.  

7 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Why do we need a workaround for something which once worked just fine?  A question we might ask.  

Because it's uh....better! Because it is version 8, or something.

Radical redesign!

Features? Who needs 'em!

Testing? We don't need no stinking testing! 8 is great! Er, 8.0.1 is great! I meant 8.0.2 is great! Um, sorry, got s bit confused, 8.0.3 is great! Uh, yeah, so what I meant was 8.0.4 is great!

Of course the real problem is that once they are done using their entire user base as alpha testers, the features we actually relied on are still gone.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2017 at 2:45 AM, amanda_h said:

How do I access business notebooks from my company's Evernote account? (Evernote Business only)

To view any business notebooks you have access to, you’ll first need to switch to your company’s Evernote account. To switch to your company account:

1. Select the ‘Account’ tab
  2. Tap your account name
  3. Select the company account

How to I subscribe to my company notebooks from iOS?

• 6 months later...

Must just  be me, but there are no images in this post.  Everywhere there should be an image it just says "image.png".  Tried two different browsers.  Hmm.

BTW, Please get Siri working properly with Evernote as it is craptastic right now. (creates and adds to Apple Notes and Reminders apps like 90% of the time, no matter how you word it.)

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-25 at 9:19 PM, Khánh Linh said:

Evernote WILL NOT OPEN on my iOS 10.2 iPhone 6s Plus.

That's not the usual experience.  I would delete and reinstall the app

As backup, you should look into accessing your data on other platforms.  Evernote is available on other platforms/devices, including the web platform

• 4 months later...
On 9/21/2017 at 8:38 PM, bschultz0 said:

Must just  be me, but there are no images in this post.  Everywhere there should be an image it just says "image.png".  Tried two different browsers.  Hmm.

None for me either, regardless of which browser or computer I view on. 

When I take notes from an ipad, this type of font appears. I set my standard font settings on Windows Evernote as a Segoe UI. When I enter the Web Evernote, it looks like this when there is no problem with Windows Evernote.

1.JPG

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, zsvnc said:

When I enter the Web Evernote, it looks like this when there is no problem with Windows Evernote.

Your web browser may have settings to require a different font.  I'd assume that Evernote Web's CSS specifies the same font as for desktop,  but I don't know whether that can take precedence over any other settings in your browser.  I'd suggest referring this to Support - https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.  They may be able to suggest a work-around or at least refer this back to a developer and possibly fix it in future.

On 24.02.2018 at 1:10 PM, gazumped said:

Your web browser may have settings to require a different font.  I'd assume that Evernote Web's CSS specifies the same font as for desktop,  but I don't know whether that can take precedence over any other settings in your browser.  I'd suggest referring this to Support - https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.  They may be able to suggest a work-around or at least refer this back to a developer and possibly fix it in future.

In Windows Evernote, the "Segoe UI" font is set to a standard size of 12 fonts. I got a new note from the ipad for trial purposes. And look in Windows, almost every line has a different font and size. I didn't make any adjustments to the note I received on the ipad.How many times i wrote them, all platforms (twitter, email, website..). Every time same answers. But for some reason, nobody's still offering a solution.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

ipad.PNG

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, zsvnc said:

But for some reason, nobody's still offering a solution.

This is one of those: "I don't know the definitive answer,  but I always assumed that..." answers -

According to Wikipedia:  In typography, the point is the smallest unit of measure. It is used for measuring font size, leading, and other items on a printed page. ... The DTP point is defined as 172 of an international inch (about 0.353 mm) and, as with earlier American point sizes, is considered to be 112 of a pica. / / In 1996, it was adopted by W3C for Cascading Stylesheets (CSS) where it was later related at a fixed 4:3 ratio to the pixel due to a general (but wrong) assumption of 96 px/in screens. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_(typography)

A 'pixel' on an iPad is smaller than a pixel on a 1080 screen,  and there probably are a lot more of them...  between devices I don't know how software engineers rationalise how a 12pt font should look on a mobile screen vs HD and 4G screens,  but to see the same layout on all of them,  the physical sizes of words logically have to be different.

That obviously should not mean different random font styles or sizes in the same note on the same device.  Where the content is used in or by other applications on that same device,  I'd imagine that there could - reasonably easily - be differences in display or print routines that could cause similar effects.  As long as the note is tidy and comprehensible I'm generally happy. 

Evernote is not a web page or print / presentation designer - it's editor is basic enough to cope with quick notes. 

If you need some additional level of style or consistency,  then try a word processor or output a document to PDF where you have finer control over the eventual format.

• Level 5*

Same issue, I've noticed font changes betwixt IOS and PC.   I created a test note on my iPad.  It's obvious that the number list created on the iPad is interpreted as a different font on the PC.    It shouldn't ougta be this way.  :(  Standard font on A should be represented as standard font on B, my opinion anyway.

D50F0184-BC96-4FBE-BBB7-A3DD4818380D.thumb.jpg.ef0fb1149c6ffe431f6e3b5de8b8ba97.jpg        ScreenClip.png.54d3f73d9834375a92b2b65d380f57f5.png

So, test two, create a note on the iPad, V1, duplicate it on the PC and modify the font on the bullets to default.  The font size on the iPad is changed.  Don't think that should happen either, default font to default font.  Thank you to spellcheckers for bulleted to billeted.  :blush:

Scre1111enClip.png.c808ece574f9fbb71023b5cfcb998e39.png

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, zsvnc said:

I got a new note from the ipad for trial purposes. And look in Windows, almost every line has a different font and size

20 minutes ago, CalS said:

Don't think that should happen either, default font to default font.

In a recent discussion, I found out the default Evernote/IOS font is San Fransisco; this is not adjustable
I had an idea of adusting the default font on my Evernote/Mac so that there's no difference when switching devices

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I had an idea of adusting the default font on my Evernote/Mac so that there's no difference when switching devices

Based upon what I'm seeing, I doubt it would make a difference.  In the bulleted list example there is a specific font size added in IOS (visible in the ENEX when exported on the PC).  Adding bullets on the PC does not change the font size.  Also it would appear the default font on my iDevices is Helvetica Neue.  A font I don't have on my PC, though EN will display it should a note be imported with that font. 

End of it all, I guess my expectation is that whatever the default fonts on the platforms, the note should be all default on the platform unless I make a format change.  You can't see the aforementioned font size change on the iDevice, so why?

• Level 5*

In split screen mode, when I open another app and then come back to the split screen, Evernote fails to remember where I was in a note (on the right side of the screen). It’s just blank, with only the navigation showing. I have to navigate to somewhere (anywhere) before that data suddenly appears.

FAB5E0AC-AB7E-48AE-B6F5-91EA3BE7C917.png

• Shane D. unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like the new interface. I only have two suggestions:

1. To migrate PenUltimate functionality into Evernote. Evernote is the only notes application that I must switch to a seperate application to handwrite notes (Bear, Neebo, OneNote, even the built-in iOS Notes app supports this). It is so close with the ability to enter in sketches, but it is still not conducive to handwriting.
  2. Reminders for individual Tasks. I know I can set a reminder on a note, but not for the tasks in that note. I think this is particularly useful when using some of the project templates posted on your site. Being able to set Tasks with individual reminders means I can have one list for a project, with multiple Tasks, each with different dates. Having an “All Tasks” view would be the icing on the cake, giving me visibility into every task I have across all of my notebooks. I often forget what note has a particular task item, especially if I didn’t set a reminder. 

I love using Evernote, but these two issues (the first one in particular) has kept me from fully committing to the Evernote system. Other than those two, however, I do love Evernote!!

P.S. One hidden gem you all have on iOS is the integration with Workflow... what a great set of automated tasks!

I might not have understood your item 1 correctly, but as far as I can see, you can make sketches in the IOS app using the pen icon in the bottom of a note.

IMG_3C5F1679CE6F-1.thumb.jpg.b274e00e14a927bd61e19ea939a91e23.jpg

You are right, I can, but I can’t create full handwritten notes in the Sketches panel. Because it is designed for drawing, it actually attempts to correct some lines and messes up handwriting. 

Really, what I’m looking for is functionality similar to Notes in iOS, but I think Evernote can do even better by implementing PenUltimate’s functionality (handwriting, templates, etc.) directly into Evernote.

I absolutely agree with you that present functionality for sketching isn't enough for creating handwritten notes. I would also like to see improvements on this.

• 1 month later...

Anyone notice EN is faster to close a note when backgrounded in this release?

Seems like when I have it open then swipe to another app then back to Evernote, the note I was working on is often closed. I’m talking only minutes here and notes didn’t close that fast before.

• Shane D. locked and unpinned this topic

Archived