Jump to content
  • 0
lpr

Real Time Saving Across devices ?

Idea

I don't understand why EN doesn't sync/autosave a note across devices in "real time" like any other modern app (think apple note or Google docs). If I have a note opened on two screens and I make a modification in one I will always end up with a sync conflict instead of both screen updating in "real time". This is the bane of my existence as I tend to work across devices and those sync conflicts are a pain and also scary as I always fear that some data might be lost. I have been plagued by this issue for years. What's up Evernote?  

Am I the only person with this problem? 

Share this post


Link to post

13 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

You and anyone modifying the same note at the same time on multiple platforms.  Can't be done in EN at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

heum... So we are stuck with sync conflicts every time we leave a note open in one place and make a modification on another device?  

Really not ideal... Would love to see this addressed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Safest path is to sync when leaving a device.  Use instant sync when possible, though this still has a lag of 5 seconds or more.  There is a difference between consecutive use and concurrent use.  EN, right or wrong, is a consecutive sync app, not real time.   

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2017-01-14 at 5:12 PM, csihilling said:

Safest path is to sync when leaving a device.  Use instant sync when possible, though this still has a lag of 5 seconds or more.  There is a difference between consecutive use and concurrent use.  EN, right or wrong, is a consecutive sync app, not real time.   

But WHY?  If Apple Note can sync in real time why can't EN?

And are you saying it's normal that I get sync conflict pretty much every time I access a note on my phone? 

I honestly never use EN on my iPhone because I know its gonna create a sync conflict. it never misses... 

This is just not satisfactory.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2017-01-14 at 5:12 PM, csihilling said:

Safest path is to sync when leaving a device.  Use instant sync when possible, though this still has a lag of 5 seconds or more.  There is a difference between consecutive use and concurrent use.  EN, right or wrong, is a consecutive sync app, not real time.   

What is Instant sync?

the most frequent option I have on mac OS is every 5 minutes! ...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, lpr said:

What is Instant sync?

the most frequent option I have on mac OS is every 5 minutes! ...

Before switching devices, I press the sync icon and get instant sync

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, lpr said:

But WHY?  If Apple Note can sync in real time why can't EN?

And are you saying it's normal that I get sync conflict pretty much every time I access a note on my phone? 

I honestly never use EN on my iPhone because I know its gonna create a sync conflict. it never misses... 

This is just not satisfactory.

Hey, I'm a user just like though.  EN doesn't do real time sync.  So if you don't want conflicts you need to sync when you enter and leave a platform.  I do and have no sync conflicts using 2 windows laptops, an iPad and an iPhone.  

That's just how it is with EN today.  So if not satisfactory you might want to pick another product. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, csihilling said:

Hey, I'm a user just like though.  EN doesn't do real time sync.  So if you don't want conflicts you need to sync when you enter and leave a platform.  I do and have no sync conflicts using 2 windows laptops, an iPad and an iPhone.  

That's just how it is with EN today.  So if not satisfactory you might want to pick another product. 

 

What I am saying is: this seems like a software problem that can be easily fixed. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, lpr said:

What I am saying is: this seems like a software problem that can be easily fixed. 

You're also saying that until the software is changed, there is no way to prevent change conflicts.
We are replying that you should be syncing your changes before switching devices

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, lpr said:

What I am saying is: this seems like a software problem that can be easily fixed. 

Most anything can be fixed, but my guess would be that easily would not be the adverb of choice.  I've been a user of EN for seven years now and syncing has given me far less grief than the editor or reminder alerts that actually alert.  So if I were allocating resources..... <mumble mumble>

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2017-01-16 at 0:06 PM, csihilling said:

Most anything can be fixed, but my guess would be that easily would not be the adverb of choice.  I've been a user of EN for seven years now and syncing has given me far less grief than the editor or reminder alerts that actually alert.  So if I were allocating resources..... <mumble mumble>

Yes, but just the fact that there are sync issues or that the editor is buggy is really problematic for me as this is the baseline usability of the app and also pretty much its core function : put stuff in, sync it to the cloud and retrieve it later... 

My point is that it makes no sense for the staff at EN to be working on anything else if they can't get this to work properly... 

Reminders? haha interesting, . I use them as a way to pin things to the top of my notes but never actually set them to specific times. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, lpr said:

Yes, but just the fact that there are sync issues or that the editor is buggy is really problematic for me as this is the baseline usability of the app and also pretty much its core function : put stuff in, sync it to the cloud and retrieve it later... 

My point is that it makes no sense for the staff at EN to be working on anything else if they can't get this to work properly... 

Reminders? haha interesting, . I use them as a way to pin things to the top of my notes but never actually set them to specific times. 

Don't know what to tell you other than their priorities would seem to be different than yours and many others on this one. 

Re reminders, I decided I wanted all my stuff in ONE place, so I incorporated my todo/GTD/TSW process into EN using reminders with dates.  Not perfect, but works best for me as compared to other methods I tried.  YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, lpr said:

Reminders? haha interesting, . I use them as a way to pin things to the top of my notes but never actually set them to specific times

I use reminders as due dates; tasks, appointments etc.  I have them synced to my Calendar app

I never use the reminder section; and am happy to see the latest IOS version has moved it from the note list

Instead of "pinning", I use other methods to control note sequence

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...