Using Dragon with Evernote – Frustrating

I use Evernote premium with Windows 10. I have been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking for years. However, it is extremely frustrating when you create a new note and Evernote will only let you dictate in the title box. When you move to the actual content area and start dictating, the DragonPad comes up forcing you to dictate and then transfer. If anyone is currently feeling this pain and has found a workaround or solution please share.

• 10 months later...

This is my biggest problem with Evernote.

I use dictation all the time because I am a terrible typist.

Used to automatically go to the external Dragon WINDOW whenever I tried to dictate into Evernote.

That was not good.

Now even that doesn't work?

Now nothing happens when I tried to dictate.

What I have I done wrong?

• Level 5*
On 20/11/2017 at 5:05 PM, Bill Hunsinger said:

What I have I done wrong?

From the lack of replies to the earlier post I'm guessing that Evernote's new editor is not compliant with Dragon - and that's something you'd have to take up with Dragon since Evernote's API is publicly available and (AFAIK) Dragon's is not...

Depending on your Windows version Cortana might be able to help with the dictation...

• 1 year later...
On 1/13/2017 at 12:00 PM, JEdward said:

I use Evernote premium with Windows 10. I have been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking for years. However, it is extremely frustrating when you create a new note and Evernote will only let you dictate in the title box. When you move to the actual content area and start dictating, the DragonPad comes up forcing you to dictate and then transfer. If anyone is currently feeling this pain and has found a workaround or solution please share.

Did you find any solution for this? Dragon Naturally Speaking is the market leader in its category. It's disappointing it doesn't work well with Evernote. 

• Level 5

For Dragon and Windows my idea would be to use a program that interacts better, and clip the result into EN.

With iOS there is the possibility to dictate through Siri into a EN note. The same possibility exists on the Mac. This goes through the OS-Level, it is no EN feature.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Has there been any development on this issue? I found several topics with users complaining about Evernote not working with Dragon, but I haven't seen any solutions.

I am using Evernote and Dragon on a Windows PC (Windows 10, latest build) and am having the same issue - it recognizes dictation when typing the title, but not the body. Or rather, on a few occasions it did recognize the text even for the body of the note, but it is very inconsistent and as a result very frustrating.

• Level 5*

Hi. Have you tried using Google or your PA of choice to dictate into Evernote directly? How to use Google Assistant with Evernote

Or is it possible to use Dragon to create another document which could then be attached to a note or the content copy/ pasted across?

I'd suggest raising this with both Evernote and Dragon support,  though issues involving two separate developers  can be hard for a user to resolve...

• Level 5

The new clients are in general pretty weak on integrating other programs. No idea about how good it interacts with dragon. Legacy is not developed any further.

On Mac and iOS there is a dictation feature build into the OS. You talk, it is transcribed just as Dragon does. No special vocabulary, however, so probably Dragon is better for specific uses like lawyers or doctors.

Google assistant is for smart phones, meanwhile the problem is on Windows OS. Using more general dictation programs is really not the same as using Dragon, because you can customize Dragon to your speech, accent, as well as have a database of your vocabulary (including industry specific terminology, abbreviations, non-standard names for people, companies, entities etc.). So this is not helpful.

As far as using other programs to dictate into and adding to Evernote, well that makes it very cumbersome. Way too many extra steps.

With my Plus subscription looks like I do not even qualify to open a support ticket with Evernote. That honor is a reserved for premium users only.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, N.Z. said:

With my Plus subscription looks like I do not even qualify to open a support ticket with Evernote.

If you can upgrade on a monthly basis,  it might be worthwhile doing so for a few weeks while you resolve this,  though I did think ALL subscribers had access to Support.  I can confirm it though,  because Plus-specific information seems to have been steadily removed from most of the help pages.  The main Support link has an option to proceed "as a guest" which you could try now if it otherwise won't allow you to proceed. [https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new]

If you can then post a ticket number back here I can ask an Admin to chase it through the system to see whether there is anything on the roadmap (if they'll admit one way or the other...) 

Meantime - this thread kicked off about the *new* editor - does Legacy still support Dragon (or vice-versa) and have you looked at Cortana as a possibly dictation-friendly PA? (I mentioned Google or your "PA of choice" previously...)

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

I can see where using another app to generate the note,  or setting up another voice to text system,  means extra work - but expecting Evernote to fix something that might be an incompatibility with their system vs Dragon is a long game with no obvious quick returns....

• Level 5

The only difference with support I could find was that Plus has no access to the support chat. To me this sounds that they do have access to normal support by ticket and e-mail.

@N.Z. Without more details about your support problems it is hard to find out whether it just was a malfunction. For me the simplest method to issue a support ticket is via the iOS client - this has always worked when I wanted to issue a ticket.

• Like 1
On 4/30/2021 at 12:57 AM, N.Z. said:

As far as using other programs to dictate into and adding to Evernote, well that makes it very cumbersome. Way too many extra steps.

Another user put me onto this solution (see below) some time ago... see forum thread here

Essentially you can use Microsoft' built in Dictation tool, accessed at anytime via a simple keyboard shortcut:  Windows-logo + H (keys)

Read the thread linked to above for more, but it works 95% accurate for me.

• Like 1