embedding Jupyter/iPython notebooks

shmoopie

Idea

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

What is a " Jupyter/iPython notebook"? Is it a web link? Is it an ".ipynb" JSON file (https://jupyter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/architecture/how_jupyter_ipython_work.html#notebooks)? Where are they normally stored? How do you normally interact with them?

If it's a link, you can add them to a note. If it's a file, you can add them to your note.

How do you envision this all working?

Please forgive me, because I am a scientist and not a computer-scientist/engineer or any kind of professional developer.

There are two methods that I interact with the notebooks, stored on an external server and stored on my local machine via a conda installation.

I use Evernote because it acts as a well interfaced index, and has some nice things in notes and has the ability to attach documents when needed; it makes me MUCH more efficient due to the remote nature of the notes, so I can be at an experiment or meeting and simply lookup something I did previously.  This is one layer of my work flow and directly on the files of my computer is another.

I can provide more detail, but if there was some way to attach and interact with notebook files through Evernote, is what I'm wanting.  That way, I could do a search that includes the contents of my iPython notebook, and view the already-executed, static contents from my different Evernote devices.  Then, if I'm on a device with the appropriate Python kernel and Jupyter install, I could do my notebook work flow.  For the notebooks on remote servers, I don't have a good idea of how that would work, presently I just include a link for those cases.

Is this a ridiculous fantasy?  Is there some quasi-implementation possible with the existing infrastructure?

Thanks~

• Level 5*

Evernote's attachment system allows you to interact with its attachments, provided the underlying OS has a way of activating the correct application for rthe attachment. For example, you can view or edit attached PDF files, images, spreadsheets, etc. You may be able to do something with an attached ".ipynb" file.

Try it!

its an interactive shell with some gui futures. even for notes without code it could be helpful.

i really look forward for an workaround to connect both sources of informations.

maybe i am wrong, but i am very disappointed that there is no support.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, elcolumbio said:

i really look forward for an workaround to connect both sources of informations.

This started out as "embed" and I think the only solution is attaching files to notes.
The alternative would be links to data maintained in other environments

Combination of Jupyter notebooks  & evernote notes would be  a best blogging feature for coders/programmers. I hope this can reduce the amount of time for jupyter notebook users once we have a component to transfer evernote notes into  a markdown cells (with in jupyter notebook)

On 1/9/2017 at 0:06 PM, jefito said:

What is a " Jupyter/iPython notebook"? Is it a web link? Is it an ".ipynb" JSON file (https://jupyter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/architecture/how_jupyter_ipython_work.html#notebooks)? Where are they normally stored? How do you normally interact with them?

If it's a link, you can add them to a note. If it's a file, you can add them to your note.

How do you envision this all working?

Jupyter is a Web-based notebook that is a Python Library/Application. Think of it as a Webpage that you can edit, run Python scripts (where it immediately shows you the output on screen), support MarkDown pages, and allows for exporting to easily construct README.md files, that Code Repositories use (like Github). Jupyter save as a file with extension ipynb, that opens in a browser if the Jupyter self-supporting "localhost web server" is running. 

This notebook feature would allow people to keep notes of Python code snippets and methods, where the output if shown immediately below the code, to provide better access to coding methods within itself. To be honest, it is a REALLY cool tool that could really benefit Evernote and Python coders. Jupyter doesn't have a syncing service, other than placing the ipynb files on a replication service, like Dropbox. It would be nice to see this natively work on Evernote.

I use the web clipper to save Jupyter notebooks to Evernote. That has the added feature of linking to the original notebook URL.

It isn't perfect, mostly because Evernote can't get the "Article" mode right most of the time, and the formatting is a little off.  But recently, the copy-paste behavior has improved such that you can copy from Evernote to Jupyter effectively.

I have been tampering with Jupyter to sync markdown cells and evernote notes, running a script as soon as the notebook loads, that logs into my Evernote account and retrieves a note specified by the notebook. Sections of the note could be separated into different markdown cells. This approach allows me to use most of evernoste's features as soon as the cells/notes are sent back to evernote. I would love if the opposite could be true - if evernote could render notebooks as notes, and allow the indexing and sharing features even for the code parts of the notebook. 

I don't know whether this will ever be implemented but it would be great to have full (or even reduced) jupyter notebook support and to run some small snippets within evernote.

This would beneft the programming, reasearch, and data science community. I really like the idea even though the likeliness of implementation is probably somewhat low. 

Archived