Unable to Log Into Safari Web Clipper

amanda_h

EDIT: UPDATED 2/17/17

Hi y'all,

Our development team is currently investigating an issue where some users are having trouble logging into the Evernote Web Clipper in Safari. When this issue occurs, a tab or window opens and closes and an error appears stating "You must sign in using the Clip to Evernote toolbar button before you can make clips."

If you're experiencing this issue, please ensure your Evernote Web Clipper is updated to version 6.11* and your Safari Privacy settings are set to either "Allow from websites I visit" or "Always allow" (Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and website data).

image.jpg

*If your Web Clipper isn't updated, please reinstall the extension by following these steps:

1. Open Safari and select Safari > Preferences from the menu bar.
  2. Choose Extensions > Evernote Web Clipper > Uninstall.
  3. Quit and reopen Safari.
  4. Open Safari and install the Evernote Web Clipper from www.evernote.com/webclipper.
  5. If prompted to choose between installing the extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery or directly from the developer, choose Install from Developer.
  6. Navigate to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Updates to ensure you have the latest version of the extension installed.

If your Evernote Web Clipper extension is updated to version 6.11 and your Privacy settings are set to 'Allow from websites I visit' or 'Always allow' and you're still experiencing this issue, please submit a support request so our Technical Support Team can help investigate this further.

I am having the same problem.  In Safari, when I click on the Evernote Clipper icon on the top toolbar it asks me to sign in.  I do using my Evernote user name and password as I have in the past.  I dod not use the Google sign on despite having a gmail account.  After clicking sign on the box disappears.  

When I go to clip an article the colored process bar light up under the web address bar and disappears mid way.  No pop up box appears as in the past.  I tried to see if the clipped article might be showing up in either the Evernote app or in the online web version but nothing shows up.  

This has been occurring for the past week.  I figures it might just be a quirk that has occurred sine your migration to Google. 

Frustrated.  

HI. Im also not able to use the web clipper. The please sign in box has disappeared and the link now does nothing. I have tried re-installing but that does not work either; I get a message saying 'An error occurred while installing the extension “Evernote Web Clipper”.' Is there a work around as this is affecting the efficiency of Evernote and how I am able to use it. Thanks

I am having the same problem as “hackettt”, elephant has a dot that does not go away, plus web clipper is not working. If this problem has been known about “amanda_h” since January 9th I would, as others, appreciate it being sorted out straightaway. Its not like I am getting it for free. 

I'm in the same boat, Premium unsatisfied member. The fact as I see it is that there is functionality in the way Web Clipper is displayed to us, intentional, and the functionality is broken. It opens another tab in the safari window, titles it "untitled" and then "Success!", as the new tab disappears. I have had it work again, for some odd reason, opening the panel on the right hand side that allows you to rename and direct the clip to the applicable folder.

I have had an Evernote Expert look at my problem, and then tell me he has passed it on to Technical, and now days later I am here, trying to find a way to express my frustration. 

I don't understand why I don't get a broadcast email advising of a problem. If I did, I am more than accommodating as I feel a part of an extended Evernote team, but being left in the fog, I don't like. 

Web_Clipper_Troubleshooting_2.jpg

Same problem, dot under menu bar elephant (not signed in but signed in a dozen times a dozen ways) restart, safe boot, disabled AdBlocker, cleared cookies/cache etc etc.

Finally, changed Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and website data from "Allow from current website" to "Allow from websites I visit". 

Shazam. 

To my dear Evernote Gurus, you're welcome.

38 minutes ago, mrrogerz said:

Same problem, dot under menu bar elephant (not signed in but signed in a dozen times a dozen ways) restart, safe boot, disabled AdBlocker, cleared cookies/cache etc etc.

Finally, changed Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and website data from "Allow from current website" to "Allow from websites I visit". 

Shazam. 

To my dear Evernote Gurus, you're welcome.

By the way, this solution has been know since at least January 5. See this post from another forum:

I checked my Privacy settings again and the option suggested by jim.g is my default setting. Still having the problem staying logged in Evernote. I started to notice this within the last couple months. Prior to that it worked as expected.

I'm having the same problem as the users above. Is there an update re: the fix? 

Do you need more info? I've of course made sure I have the  most current versions of Safari, OSX and the websclipper. Uninstalled, reinstalled... The feature works in Chrome, but not Safari Version 10.0.3 (12602.4.8)

Thanks,

Gururas

I had the same problem and the solution for me turned out to be that I was using Private Windows in Safari rather than ordinary ones.  I'm assuming its down to differences in cookie handling between ordinary browsing mode and private browsing mode.

• amanda_h unpinned and unfeatured this topic

So it has been a month since EN started this new thread and closed down the others.  

Clipper is still not working for me despite all the suggestions, opening a ticket, posting logs, etc.  I provided browser console logs that even suggested particular lines of code that Safari is complaining about, etc.  EN is about to lose me as premium customer.  

And it would be helpful for all those saying a fix worked for them to note their OS, Browser and Clipper version. A number of the "fixes" that seem to help some people don't work on other configurations.    

Clipper still not working. On top of that after Evernote Mac app froze, it asks to send a report to you at launch (every time, regardless if i've done it already); when sent, window disappears and the app does not launch. Ar you guys ok over there at Evernote?

Suffice it to say that the problem as gotten dramatically worse! After upgrading to the latest version of the web clipper extension, when clicking on the icon it does absolutely nothing. I have tried all the solutions listed. Logging out and back in. I have a premium account. Check my privacy settings. It does the same thing whether I have two factor authentication turned on or off (I would much prefer to have it on). 

I am one "this is how you annotate pdfs inline in OneNote" suggestion away from switching, and I have been with Evernote since almost the beginning. I remember when your HQ was just off Castro Street ,I believe ,  in Mountain View (I even remember where your old building was)...thats how long I have been with you.  

Get this solved or lose a paying customer. 

On 1/9/2017 at 7:01 AM, amanda_h said:

Hi y'all,

Our development team is currently investigating an issue where some users are having trouble logging into the Evernote Web Clipper in Safari. When this issue occurs, a tab or window opens and closes and an error appears stating "You must sign in using the Clip to Evernote toolbar button before you can make clips."

If you're experiencing this issue, please ensure your Evernote Web Clipper is updated to version 6.11* and your Safari Privacy settings are set to either "Allow from websites I visit" or "Always allow" (Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and website data).

image.jpg

*If your Web Clipper isn't updated, please reinstall the extension by following these steps:

1. Open Safari and select Safari > Preferences from the menu bar.
  2. Choose Extensions > Evernote Web Clipper > Uninstall.
  3. Quit and reopen Safari.
  4. Open Safari and install the Evernote Web Clipper from www.evernote.com/webclipper.
  5. If prompted to choose between installing the extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery or directly from the developer, choose Install from Developer.
  6. Navigate to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Updates to ensure you have the latest version of the extension installed.

If your Evernote Web Clipper extension is updated to version 6.11 and your Privacy settings are set to 'Allow from websites I visit' or 'Always allow' and you're still experiencing this issue, please submit a support request so our Technical Support Team can help investigate this further.

Hi y'all,

I've updated my original post. This issue should be resolved in the latest version of the Evernote Web Clipper (6.11), however you'll need to also ensure your Privacy settings are set to either "Allow from websites I visit" or "Always allow". If you're still experiencing this issue after verifying you're on the updated version and the settings are set appropriately, please submit a support request so our Technical Support Team can help investigate this further.

23 hours ago, Frustrated1 said:

Tried that.  Doesn't work.

@amanda_h Tried your fix as well and it didn't work for me. 

@Frustrated1 @chiefted 

Finally found something that worked for me and hoping it may be a solution for you and others still fighting the problem after trying 6.11

I did some more digging after I uninstalled all the extensions I had for Safari - including Web Clipper and  quit Safari.

When I looked in my ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ folder, I found an "Evernote Web Clipper.safariextz" file that seemed to be an old and leftover.  This despite the extension showing as gone and having installed more recent versions of the extension since this one's last modified date.  

I deleted this file and also cleaned the local EN cache files in  ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage/ (search folder for "ever" and delete).  I then restarted Safari and installed the 6.11 WC extension and logged in.  Viola! It worked again. Added my various other preferred extensions and checked as I went along. Still kept working.

(MacOS Sierra with Safari 10.0.3) 

38 minutes ago, webguy said:

Finally found something that worked for me and hoping it may be a solution for you and others still fighting the problem after trying 6.11

I did some more digging after I uninstalled all the extensions I had for Safari - including Web Clipper and  quit Safari.

When I looked in my ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ folder, I found an "Evernote Web Clipper.safariextz" file that seemed to be an old and leftover.  This despite the extension showing as gone and having installed more recent versions of the extension since this one's last modified date.  

I deleted this file and also cleaned the local EN cache files in  ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage/ (search folder for "ever" and delete).  I then restarted Safari and installed the 6.11 WC extension and logged in.  Viola! It worked again. Added my various other preferred extensions and checked as I went along. Still kept working.

(MacOS Sierra with Safari 10.0.3) 

6.11 didn't work for me until I went through these steps.  It's working now for me!  :lol:

A big thank you to webguy!  You must have spent a lot of time finding that.  Very nice of you to share it with us.

I'm glad that Evernote finally fixed this.  But, I'm sad that Evernote did not share with us that they were investigating this problem.  If I had known that, I might not have migrated to another program.  Now I have to consider if I want to migrate my new data back to Evernote, or stick with the new program.

On 2/17/2017 at 11:07 AM, Frustrated1 said:

6.11 didn't work for me until I went through these steps.  It's working now for me!  :lol:

A big thank you to webguy!  You must have spent a lot of time finding that.  Very nice of you to share it with us.

I'm glad that Evernote finally fixed this.  But, I'm sad that Evernote did not share with us that they were investigating this problem.  If I had known that, I might not have migrated to another program.  Now I have to consider if I want to migrate my new data back to Evernote, or stick with the new program.

The second part of @webguy steps worked (I didn't have the .safariextz file), though cleaning out the ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage/ folder of anything with ever in it solved the issue. I restarted Safari just to be sure. 

As I said in another post (and I want to ensure that Evernote sees this) I am happy to be productive in my studies, I am NOT happy with all the grief everyone went through. A 2 day Twitter conversation where I was told to submit a support request (which I had done already and had heard absolutely NOTHING), then submitted a second one where I pointed to three different forums with unhappy customers and made a couple of different post directed at the support folks saying..no your fix doesn't work. 

Come my renewal time I am going to think long and hard about paying for a premium account after the missteps of the past year or so. 

• 3 weeks later...

I asked the support and their solution worked for me...at least until now... ;)

Here you are their answer:

To troubleshoot this issue in Safari, please try the following:

1. Uninstall the Evernote Web Clipper in Safari by navigating to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Evernote Web Clipper and choose Uninstall

2. From the menubar, choose Safari > Clear History and choose All History then Clear History

3. On your keyboard, press ⌘ command + ⌥ option + esc simultaneously, then select Safari and choose Force Quit

4. Restart your Mac

5. Open Safari and install the Evernote Web Clipper from www.evernote.com/webclipper

6. If prompted to choose between installing the extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery or directly from the developer choose Install from Developer.

7. Navigate to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Updates to ensure you have the latest version of the extension installed

Hope it helps.

• 3 months later...

Just tried the suggested fix above from mrrogerz after almost pulling my hair out and it was an instant fix!!!!!

Thank you!

"Finally, changed Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and website data from "Allow from current website" to "Allow from websites I visit". "

• 2 months later...

Please support on how to get the Web Clipper extension in Safari logged in.

I am using a Mac High Sierra OS 10.13, with Safari 11.0 and Evernote extension 6.12.4.

Have deleted and reinstalled the extension but nothing is working. The extension remains logged off.

The fix offered in January is not available under new High Sierra OS.

Please advise!

Just started happening to me today 10/5/2017. The dot shows on web clipper and when I click on it, it quickening brings up a new tab, says logged in, and goes back to the same state. On Mac OS High Sierra, latest version of Web Clipper (tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice).

I have the same problem using macOS sierra and Safari 10.1.2. The evernote icon in the toolbar has a dot in the bottom left corner, clicking on it redirects to evernote (login). On return the icons appearance did not change and clicking it again just redirects without further action. Trying to re-download the extension from the evernote website reveals the following error during attempted install: Safari can't install this extension An error occurred while installing the extension “Evernote Web Clipper”.

8 hours ago, rzz said:

doesn't work 

6 hours ago, Byter68 said:

This does not work for me as of 10/4/2017

6 hours ago, jeanaustinr said:

I got the latest version (6.12.4), I believe, and I am unable to login to Web Clipper in Safari as well.

5 hours ago, Chantal G said:

Please support on how to get the Web Clipper extension in Safari logged in.

I am using a Mac High Sierra OS 10.13, with Safari 11.0 and Evernote extension 6.12.4.

Have deleted and reinstalled the extension but nothing is working. The extension remains logged off.

The fix offered in January is not available under new High Sierra OS.

Please advise!

4 hours ago, bluedaze said:

Doesn't work for me either - same issues - and have tried all the [old] proposed workarounds

3 hours ago, chazzzzy said:

Running Safari 11 and all of a sudden, I cannot log into the web clipper.. it looks like it logs in, shows a page for a second saying it's all good, but it remains logged out.

This just started happening today.

2 hours ago, Don0819 said:

Just started happening to me today 10/5/2017. The dot shows on web clipper and when I click on it, it quickening brings up a new tab, says logged in, and goes back to the same state. On Mac OS High Sierra, latest version of Web Clipper (tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice).

1 hour ago, shinydevice said:

I have the same problem using macOS sierra and Safari 10.1.2. The evernote icon in the toolbar has a dot in the bottom left corner, clicking on it redirects to evernote (login). On return the icons appearance did not change and clicking it again just redirects without further action. Trying to re-download the extension from the evernote website reveals the following error during attempted install: Safari can't install this extension An error occurred while installing the extension “Evernote Web Clipper”.

1 hour ago, tomwhitbrook said:

Same problem here

Hey all, it sounds like you're experiencing a new issue. Here's a post with more information:

• Ellen G unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 14 février 2017 at 11:16 AM, webguy said:

Was hoping that the new 6.11 version of the Safari Web Clipper extension would fix things but it hasn't for me. 

I was having the same problem as everybody here for over a year, i thought I had tried everything. Reading this thread, though,  I thought that MAYBE THE CULPRIT WAS THE NEW EXTENSION ITSELF (it updates in the background, leaving us unaware of the change: thus the  « it broke suddenly » syndrome).

So I connected an old MacBook that had an identical system, but had never been updated to the new Web Clipper extension, and lo and behold, after installing the old extension (6.9.0-b.25 (5134137/1.1.0.926). IT WORKS!

This was driving me crazy and I feel so much better now. Thank you all for putting me on the right track, finally.

—mh

MacBook Pro running TIGER: running High Sierra on the same machine, with the new clipper, never caused a problem.

Capture d’écran 2017-11-28 à 18.27.33.jpg

Oh and after installing the old extension, I DISABLED AUTOMATIC UPDATES in the Safari extensions preferences, otherwise I will be stuck with the same problem at the first update. That's fine with me, as long as I have the clipper back.

• 8 months later...
Guest hi mhrob

I have the same problem for years, and evernote never fix it?!

So could you please share your web clipper v6.9 for all suffering users?

Many thanks!!

Archived