Constantly being Logged Out of Evernote Web Clipper in Safari Browser?

amanda_h

EDIT: UPDATED 2/17/17

Hi y'all,

This issue has been resolved in the latest version of the Evernote Web Clipper, version 6.11. If you're experiencing this issue, please ensure your Evernote Web Clipper is updated to version 6.11* and your Safari Privacy settings are set to either "Allow from websites I visit" or "Always allow" (Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and website data).

Safari_Preferences_Privacy.jpg

*If your Web Clipper isn't updated, please reinstall the extension by following these steps:

1. Open Safari and select Safari > Preferences from the menu bar.
  2. Choose Extensions > Evernote Web Clipper > Uninstall.
  3. Quit and reopen Safari.
  4. Open Safari and install the Evernote Web Clipper from www.evernote.com/webclipper.
  5. If prompted to choose between installing the extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery or directly from the developer, choose Install from Developer.
  6. Navigate to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Updates to ensure you have the latest version of the extension installed.

I followed the suggestion to log in to Evernote WEB with safari with the option checked "remember for 30 days".

As soon as I logged in on the web, the web clipper (which was logged out before) also logged in (automatically) and -most important - stayed logged in!!

I have the same problem. Web Clipper is randomly logging me out. It's not just when restarting Safari.

Safari 10.0.2

Mac OS X 10.12.2

MacBook Pro MacBookPro13,3

Evernote Web Clipper 6.10.3

Evernote Version 6.10 (454267 Direct)

Same here. I submitted a support ticket. I also upgraded my OS to Sierra and same problem. Reinstalled the plug in from scratch didn't help. And it can be really slow. Like minutes to sync a simple text email.

-Scott

15 hours ago, dianeofnka said:

Yup, happening here too. Finally got WebClipper to start working again by deleting my entire web cache and cookies, but now I have to sign into WebClipper each and every time I clip something. 

Have you tried to log-in on Evernote website, not with webclipper? Webclipper will log-in automatically. Check "remember for 30 days". I'm still logged in for 2 days now.

Logging in to evernote website addressed this issue with webclipper. After tracing back steps, I realized that the webclipper started logging out after I had chose NOT to persist cookie/auth for website login, by not selecting remember me on website login. I can see the webclipper login and out realtime(the dot disappears and reappears), by simply logging in and out of evernote website. I out of habit tend not to persist website logins. But I guess if I am ok with website clipper staying logged in, I should be ok with evernote website staying logged in as well. 

UX Feedback for Evernote: If you are tying the same cookie and auth session to webclipper extension and general website at least be consistent. If I log in to webclipper, provide some indication of persisting the session and updating the cookie. It seems to be one way now where the website auth persistance overrides the webclipper, but not the other way around. I doubt the average user is going to even consider the auth session persistance between what seem like two separate "apps": the clipper and the website.

me neighter. 

what i tried as far (latest versions): 

1. reinstalled webclipper from en-website
  2. removed all security & privacy (i.a. allowed cookies)
  3. logged in to evernote and checked "remember me for 30 days)
  4. cleaned safari cache
  5. uninstalled all safari extensions (i.a. all adblockers)
  6. restarted

so what shall i do next? it really sucks. please fix this issue as quick as possible.

same issue here.

Not sure about it, but I probably started to suffer from the moment when the possibility to log in via Google account was offered me for the first time.

OS 10.12.2 | Safari 10.0.2 | Evernote Clipper 6.10.1

Same here!

I also use Google account to sign in. Is this the cause?

Btw, I tried to sign in with the "Remember me for 30 days" turned on. I will see this works or not.

This happens on both of my MBP and MBA whose OS Xs are El Capitan and Sierra, respectively.

I also use Opera browser and have not experienced same thing so far.

21 hours ago, pcandme said:

I also use Google account to sign in. Is this the cause?

Happens to me and I don't sign in with Google.

Seems ok with Firefox but I am mainly a Safari user.

OS 10.12.2 | Safari 10.0.2 | Evernote Clipper 6.10.3

On 1/13/2017 at 6:04 AM, Sjeng said:

Have you tried to log-in on Evernote website, not with webclipper? Webclipper will log-in automatically. Check "remember for 30 days". I'm still logged in for 2 days now.

a)I didn't have to check whether I was logged on to the Evernote website in the past. Has something changed about this?

b ) I am, in fact, logged on to Evernote via the website. It doesn't help.

c)Currently, WebClipper is not asking me for a time frame. I have seen it ask for a time frame, but it's not right now. I simply have to log in every freakin' day. Sometimes multiple times a day.

I love the Evernote Clipper, but very recently, I now get a little dot appearing on the Clipper extension icon. That dot tells me I will have to log into my account in order to use the Clipper. It has never done that before. Now, it does it frequently, even through I am using Safari in one continuous session. I can't find a setting that allows me to stay logged-in without having to re-login every time I use the Clipper. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the extension, but no change. Any guidance here will be appreciated!

Sorry, but I'm stunned that not only did this horribly broken web clipper release make it out of dev, it made it out of QA, made it to staging, and then - beyond belief - into production where millions (maybe?) of people's browser's happily autoupdated to it, and people got locked out of using webclipper thenceforth.

Thankfully, when this cropped up for me in firefox, I simply clicked through to the reviews for the addon, and a nice person had posted a link to a release a couple of revs back. install it, turn OFF autoupdates, and I can use webclipper again.

My additional question would be 'why haven't you pulled this completely broken release so that countless new stooges don't wind up with their webclipper rendered nonfunctional' - but after a cluster like dev -> qa -> staging -> production and now "investigation" - I've no confidence I'd get anything remotely like a straight answer.

jebus. you jack prices to the moon, then you start pushing out buggy code to PRODUCTION. Have all the project/product managers quit, or what? is anybody minding the store?

Is this anywhere near resolution?  I know the advice is to start a ticket, but given there must be hundreds of tickets in process about this issue is there any point in me joining the throng?

I have also done the whole uninstall/reinstall thing to no avail - it is a very irritating error.

I hope the modified cookie settings are a temporary, stop-gap solution.  I'm not willing to make the change for security reasons.  Also with the inability to encrypt full notebooks with an end-to-end solution, I'm worried Evernote doesn't take security seriously enough.  Why won't EN release the previous, functional version?

On 1/30/2017 at 0:22 PM, johnxllis said:

As posted earlier, if you are still having the issue then log into the full browser version http://www.evernote.com and select "Remember me for 30 days". This sets a long term cookie in the browser's history whereas the extension seems to be setting a single session cookie (which would be a mistake by the extension developers).

Up Vote on this suggestion. I have stayed logged in for over 48 hours now.

Too bad EN seems to be in shambles. I've lost faith in this product/brand. Started moving to DevonThink slowly and I think it's a great product. Been using EN since it actually was an ever note, remember the one long note concept? Unfortunately this product has pretty much rotted in the past few years as buggy release after buggy release was endured by loyal users. I'm not sure what malaise internally EN is suffering from, but at the end of the day a company like this is only as good as the products it puts out. Period. The rest is just BS. EN has languished with a terrible editor and generally a beta product for years. This app has improved little in the past 5 or 6 years. A proper mobile client on iOS has come too late for most of us. I'm pretty tolerant but even I have my limits! For EN to sit there for months with a broken login system on the clipper speaks volumes about the rot in this company. To add insult to injury EN has decided when the products just aren't reliable to change their pricing model! Wow, what arrogance and misguided policies will they dream up next? Instead of being so eager to take our money how about getting your priorities straight and deliver rock solid products with proper software testing before releasing your buggy garbage onto us. Oh, and how about responding promptly to major bugs like this login bug that has languished for months without any solutions. It's been fun EN. All the best. Hopefully their will be a shake down and you will survive what seems like some kind of meltdown. Anyhow, checkout out Devonthink. Very interesting product, actually zillions of times more powerful than EN.

Well, I've just had a reminder that my premium subscription expires in five days. This bug, and numerous others, have convinced me that Evernote is simply not worth the hassle, and I can very easily live without it, so I'm not renewing. 

I'm going back to DEVONthink for my storage needs; yes, the UI is uglier than a baboon's bum, and it has more features than I can ever use, but it is a rock solid platform and most importantly, it doesn't waste my time or cause me any irritation. 

Farewell, Evernote. If I hear that you've sharpened your game, you might see my money again. But I doubt it will be anytime soon.

• Level 5*
On 30/01/2017 at 5:22 PM, johnxllis said:

As posted earlier, if you are still having the issue then log into the full browser version http://www.evernote.com and select "Remember me for 30 days". This sets a long term cookie in the browser's history whereas the extension seems to be setting a single session cookie (which would be a mistake by the extension developers).

This seems to be working for me too.

On 1/30/2017 at 11:22 AM, johnxllis said:

This worked for me too.

• amanda_h unfeatured and unpinned this topic

macOS Sierra 10.12.3, Safari Version 10.0.3 (12602.4.8)

Here is what worked for me in Safari...

I logged into Evernote Web selecting the checkbox to remember me for 30 days. As I did that, I watched the dot on the Web Clipper icon disappear. Unfortunately, the Web Clipper would then only quickly open and close another Safari tab, so essentially a step backwards. I then uninstalled the Evernote Web Clipper through Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Evernote Web Clipper > Uninstall. After that, I chose the Share icon  in Safari, which presented the window depicted below, with the option to [Get Web Clipper], which I clicked. After the Web Clipper installed, I had to reload the Web page I was trying to clip...and after doing that, I was able to clip the page as usual. And so far, the Web Clipper has stayed logged in. Fingers crossed!

This issue of the Web Clipper repeatedly logging out happened to me some time ago and I honestly don't remember what I did, but I also don't remember giving it much thought back then, so it must have been easy to resolve that time, and then was fine for a number of weeks until just the last day or so.

Hopefully, Evernote is still investigating to get to the bottom of the issue.

3 minutes ago, DebiB said:

macOS Sierra 10.12.3, Safari Version 10.0.3 (12602.4.8)

Here is what worked for me in Safari...

I logged into Evernote Web selecting the checkbox to remember me for 30 days. As I did that, I watched the dot on the Web Clipper icon disappear. Unfortunately, the Web Clipper would then only quickly open and close another Safari tab, so essentially a step backwards. I then uninstalled the Evernote Web Clipper through Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Evernote Web Clipper > Uninstall. After that, I chose the Share icon  in Safari, which presented the window depicted below, with the option to [Get Web Clipper], which I clicked. After the Web Clipper installed, I had to reload the Web page I was trying to clip...and after doing that, I was able to clip the page as usual. And so far, the Web Clipper has stayed logged in. Fingers crossed!

This issue of the Web Clipper repeatedly logging out happened to me some time ago and I honestly don't remember what I did, but I also don't remember giving it much thought back then, so it must have been easy to resolve that time, and then was fine for a number of weeks until just the last day or so.

Hopefully, Evernote is still investigating to get to the bottom of the issue.

I guess my inline images didn't work...so I've attached them.

Safari Share Icon.png

Safari > Share > Evernote Window.png

@jeanaustinr Finally found something that worked for me and hoping it may be a solution for you and others still fighting the problem after trying 6.11

I did some more digging after I uninstalled all the extensions I had for Safari - including Web Clipper and  quit Safari.

When I looked in my ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ folder, I found an "Evernote Web Clipper.safariextz" file that seemed to be an old and leftover.  This despite the extension showing as gone and having installed more recent versions of the extension since this one's last modified date.  

I deleted this file and also cleaned the local EN cache files in  ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage/ (search folder for "ever" and delete).  I then restarted Safari and installed the 6.11 WC extension and logged in.  Viola! It worked again. Added my various other preferred extensions and checked as I went along. Still kept working.

(MacOS Sierra with Safari 10.0.3) 

On 2/17/2017 at 10:35 AM, webguy said:

@jeanaustinr Finally found something that worked for me and hoping it may be a solution for you and others still fighting the problem after trying 6.11

I did some more digging after I uninstalled all the extensions I had for Safari - including Web Clipper and  quit Safari.

When I looked in my ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ folder, I found an "Evernote Web Clipper.safariextz" file that seemed to be an old and leftover.  This despite the extension showing as gone and having installed more recent versions of the extension since this one's last modified date.  

I deleted this file and also cleaned the local EN cache files in  ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage/ (search folder for "ever" and delete).  I then restarted Safari and installed the 6.11 WC extension and logged in.  Viola! It worked again. Added my various other preferred extensions and checked as I went along. Still kept working.

(MacOS Sierra with Safari 10.0.3) 

Ok so the first part of this ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ folder didn't work as I didn't have the Evernote Web Clipper.safariextz file 

The second part after deleting anything in the ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage with ever in it and then restarting Safari, then installing the extension....IT WORKED. 

Now I am happy it worked and I can be productive with my studies.

I am not happy that it took a 2 day Twitter conversation where I was told to file a ticket, which I had done already, then a 2nd filed ticket pointing the support folks at 3 different user forums with unhappy customers. If the Web Clipper extension is an afterthought, fine just tell us that and I will be on my merry way to OneNote, which after this fiasco I maybe doing anyways. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some have mentioned that logging in and ticking "Remember for 30 days" solves the issue (for 30 days, I guess). The wrinkle is that if you click on the extension icon and it requires you to log-in again, it doesn't take you to a log-in page with the 30 days option. You actually need to ignore that log-in page, and go to the standard sign-in page you can get to from Evernote's website header. That seemed to solve the issue for me for having to log-in repeatedly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just followed the instructions for Safari, and an hour later I was logged out again. So Amanda's solution doesn't work. Now I'm going to have to uninstall the clipper extension and reinstall from the Safari gallery so I don't have to do manual updates. Evernote, any other ideas?

• 1 month later...

Same problem:

• Browser: Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit)
    • Cookies accepted
      • Always
      • Including 3rd party
    • Evernote whitelisted to accept cookies
    • Occurs with and without adblock
  • Evernote Clipper: d08bd25/1.1.0.926
  • Period of time happening ( ~ 2 months)
  • Time between successive occurrences ( ~ 5/week or .5/logout)
  • Subscription: Premium. 
  • Methods attempted: All the above in this thread. 

Request for status and estimated time to bugfix. 

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I was having this same problem. I fixed it by changing my privacy settings in Safari to allow cookies from "websites I visit." If you are in Safari, just hit Command + , (that's "command comma") to open preferences, then choose privacy, then choose the button for "websites I visit." That will fix it right away.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that fixed the problem. However, I am not thrilled that I had to allow cookies from websites I've visited to use web clipper. It is not obvious why cookies must be enabled, esp if you are going for a simplified article.

• 3 months later...

The privacy screen no longer looks like the solution in Safari... Im having this logout issue. Just started in the past few days. Ive been running high sierra with safari 11 and clipper 6.12.4 for longer than that. Any ideas??

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 4.56.51 PM.png

• 3 months later...
On 31/01/2017 at 4:22 AM, johnxllis said:

No dice. I only use Evernote via Safari on this computer and I always check "Remember me for 30 days". I have clipper V6.13.1 installed. Problem still occurring 

• Shane D. unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived