Jump to content
3k47

Windows Client Slow

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, lisec said:

1. part of the issue could be that sync settings are disregarded:  if you have everything set to not sync it syncs anyways.

I don't know if you have tried the full block sync procedure documented here - https://www.evernote.com/shard/s186/sh/ec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449/00e5278c5643d9fe.  This can let you control when syncing occurs.  Workaround for sure.  Might help with the other points as well, other than backspacing in a search, different gremlin there I think.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, CalS said:

Adjust the purge note content to whatever value on the same panel if you give it a try.

That setting scares me, just by the sound of it. I have always had that disabled, as I don't want any note purged without my consent (deleting manually). Thanks for all your reading the messages. I am curious to see what support says. I am convinced it is some never heard of before anomaly.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

That setting scares me, just by the sound of it. I have always had that disabled, as I don't want any note purged without my consent (deleting manually). Thanks for all your reading the messages. I am curious to see what support says. I am convinced it is some never heard of before anomaly.

As well it should scare you. If you go ahead with this you can no longer ever have a full backup of all your notes!  I use this on my mini-laptop, but I keep my full exb file on at least one machine to always have it. In my opinion the cloud is a great way to backup, but it should never be considered the sole copy of all my notes and documents.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, CalS said:

I don't know if you have tried the full block sync procedure ..

I have looked at it, but looks kinda cumbersome. I will try it when get more time. Btw, I am storing my efforts, references, links to work on this issue in EN :(

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, CalS said:

I don't know if you have tried the full block sync procedure documented here - https://www.evernote.com/shard/s186/sh/ec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449/00e5278c5643d9fe.  This can let you control when syncing occurs.  Workaround for sure.  Might help with the other points as well, other than backspacing in a search, different gremlin there I think.

I have and it does seem to work fine.  I'm not using it now because I've got the latest beta and am trying to see the bugs.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

What do you mean?You do not need an Internet connection to open an Evernote database.

The rest of your post hit it on the head! Especially the part about deleting images. Drives me crazy.

You do if you are signed out of Evernote.  Try it. Sign-out. Disable your net connection (or go into Airplane mode). Now try opening your evernote database.  You have to sign-in first, and you cannot without the net.  So if the net goes down or something happens to the power grid and you are signed out, you cannot even access the database on your desktop!

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/5/2017 at 1:12 PM, lisec said:

I'm so invested in it though that I feel like a hostage.

Likewise .. I would migrate to something else, but nothing comes close to EN (well, close if EN would act like it's supposed to) :(

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

That setting scares me, just by the sound of it. I have always had that disabled, as I don't want any note purged without my consent (deleting manually). Thanks for all your reading the messages. I am curious to see what support says. I am convinced it is some never heard of before anomaly.

Yeah, sounds scary but it just removes note content locally.  I don't use ODS since I don't have any speed or space issues.  Plus I do like to  have complete ENEX backups per @lisecon the off chance I delete a note by accident.  

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, CalS said:

Plus I do like to  have complete ENEX backups per @lisecon the off chance I delete a note by accident.  

I also back up the entire .. C:\Users\NAME\myEverNote\Databases\. I keep the dB in a preferred location, which EN messed up seriously a few updates back, when it automatically re-downloaded the entire dB outside my custom location. Just part of my rant.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, lisec said:

You do if you are signed out of Evernote.  Try it. Sign-out. Disable your net connection (or go into Airplane mode). Now try opening your evernote database.  You have to sign-in first, and you cannot without the net.  So if the net goes down or something happens to the power grid and you are signed out, you cannot even access the database on your desktop!

Oh wow!  Never realized that. This is disturbing! Time to make a back-up, 24K notes later.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, fredhammersmith said:

This is disturbing!

Agreed. Seems to be a serious oversight. I seems that using offline would not mess with anything at all, as the dB would just sync once back online. Who knows why the development team does what they do

Share this post


Link to post

So... in case of a complete failure/disappearance of the Evernote environment, which export format would be the best backup? HTML I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

So... in case of a complete failure/disappearance of the Evernote environment, which export format would be the best backup?

My backup process includes a weekly full export in html format.
I also have daily incremental exports
In the case of a complete failure/disappearance, I have access my data

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, fredhammersmith said:

So... in case of a complete failure/disappearance of the Evernote environment, which export format would be the best backup? HTML I guess.

I suppose.  Though you could continue to use the desktop version and data for some period of time following a melt down.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, CalS said:

I suppose.  Though you could continue to use the desktop version and data for some period of time following a melt down.

Well, if I can't access the desktop software because of a log-in problem, I'm screwed.

Curious to see how long it will take, with 25K notes, loads of attachments.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

Well, if I can't access the desktop software because of a log-in problem, I'm screwed.

Agreed, I think an export solution is required
For some reason, we are unable to login to our accounts if there is no internet connection (or a complete failure/disappearance)

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

Well, if I can't access the desktop software because of a log-in problem, I'm screwed.

Curious to see how long it will take, with 25K notes, loads of attachments.

As long as you DON'T close EN with File - Sign out yourusername you will be okay.  To test try File - Exit, turn off your internet, and start EN.  You will have your Database but no syncing.

Share this post


Link to post

Now, to export all notes, you need to select all notes first. Which is long (3 or 4 minutes of lagging), and kind of scary (what if somebody hit the delete key while i'm gone?)

 

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

Now, to export all notes, you need to select all notes first. Which is long (3 or 4 minutes of lagging), and kind of scary (what if somebody hit the delete key while i'm gone?)

 

With the left panel open, right click on Notebooks for all notes or a specific notebook for just that notebook, and select Export Notes.  No need to select notes themselves.  I would recommend the by notebook option. 

You can also hit Windows-L as you leave your PC to lock it and protect from whatever somebody might be lurking nearby.  Plus, once the export starts you can't use EN until it is completed.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

Now, to export all notes, you need to select all notes first. Which is long (3 or 4 minutes of lagging), and kind of scary (what if somebody hit the delete key while i'm gone?)

You could automate the process with scripting or third party tools, for example Backupery

Share this post


Link to post

I've stopped installing and using the win desktop client entirely until I don't see people complaining about it anymore. I'm tired of spending my time wondering what the issue is. I work with software every day. The evernote app is one of the worst pieces of software created for its purpose since a few decades. 

On another note the web app now seems to have stopped creating dupe notes. (Hurray!) So I only use that. It's nicely designed and works great even in slow countryside (Asia) mobile connections. How did note taking get so difficult??

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CalS said:

With the left panel open, right click on Notebooks for all notes or a specific notebook for just that notebook, and select Export Notes.  No need to select notes themselves.  I would recommend the by notebook option. 

You can also hit Windows-L as you leave your PC to lock it and protect from whatever somebody might be lurking nearby.  Plus, once the export starts you can't use EN until it is completed.

Good to know, thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, fredhammersmith said:

Good to know, thanks.

You are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/22/2017 at 1:46 PM, dflamholc said:

I'm tired of spending my time wondering what the issue is. I work with software every day.

 

Yes. Someone who knows the client side app just doesn't work in some places. For 5 years my EN (desktop & laptop) has had problems dragging down/up the page to select lines and paragraphs for copy/cut. I pay for the client app to work. The web is clumsy, but it works. I want my EN client app to work :(

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 28/08/2017 at 10:02 AM, 3k47 said:

I've made a small change to my workaround instructions which explains how to put an icon on the taskbar to easily activate blocking when needed.  Here's the link again:

http://www.evernote.com/l/ALrsBe2IrjdFfbGIOZYVpxRJAOUnjFZD2f4/

Cheers.

I think we'll need a new version. For some reasons, it seems not to work as well as before since a couple of weeks. An upgrade maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

I think we'll need a new version. For some reasons, it seems not to work as well as before since a couple of weeks. An upgrade maybe.

Yeah, mine stopped working a few weeks back.  I had to add the rule back in the Windows Firewall area.  Don't know how it got removed/deactivated.

Share this post


Link to post

:-( No more admin privileges. IT dept finally implemented some much needed user restrictions but now the work around is broken. Can this one program be given admin privileges?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ybp9003 said:

:-( No more admin privileges. IT dept finally implemented some much needed user restrictions but now the work around is broken. Can this one program be given admin privileges?

I suppose it could but you would have to ask your admin.

Share this post


Link to post

Well not happy about it, but...

beginning a new contract with new people, tough contract

I won't take my notes with Evernote on this one. Not for now anyway.

Because I cannot look at my screen for a full 10 seconds every time I want to create a new note or change one. It just does not work in the working environment.

Testing OneNote right now. Seems pretty quick.

I'll be back... when Evernote is ready to help me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thought I'd bump this up since it's been literally almost 19 months and this is still an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Tamaru said:

Thought I'd bump this up since it's been literally almost 19 months and this is still an issue.

How embarrassing is that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Using Evernote less and less. More of an archival solution right now. Fantastic features, way too slow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

yeah im mainly using the webclient nowadays as that is slowly getting better. I only keep the win app around on one computer for the sole task of merging notes as that for some reason isn't possible in the browser. But i've long given up the idea of working fluidly in the win app, never mention the dated design and UX/UI - which is strange as the webapp feels much more well designed.

Share this post


Link to post

It's worth mentioning, perhaps, that this issue is not universal. It's never happened to me. Maybe I don't have enough notes yet, maybe my notes don't have a certain kind of content, maybe it's my hardware, I don't know. I feel bad for the people who simply can't use Evernote because of this; I know it would be a real problem for me. But, while it is happening in some contexts, it is not happening everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It's never happened to me.

Nor I.  Same sympathy for those it affects,

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×