Windows Client Slow

EDIT: FIXED WITH WORK-AROUND.

In the interest of cutting to the chase and helping any google-searchers to find the solution many of us are using, I'm posting that work-around here at the top of the thread.  To see my original problem and post, read below.

The problem of regular freeze-ups while typing, inserting, or modifying notes via the windows client (which seems to present to users with very large databases) is somehow related to the client using the network in the background.  The solution is to create a windows firewall rule blocking evernote.exe while you are using evernote (typing, dropping in graphics, moving notes, whatever).  

This completely eliminated the freezing for me.  Then when you are finished creating or modifying content, you can disable the firewall rule and let the client sync.  

My workaround lets me just click a shortcut to block evernote (and allow me to use the client without freeze ups), and then allow me to unblock it instantly when done, and will even automatically unblock it after a set time (in case I forget).

Still hoping Evernote decides to fix this properly someday.

Here are the detailed instructions on how I got my Windows client working again: http://www.evernote.com/l/ALrsBe2IrjdFfbGIOZYVpxRJAOUnjFZD2f4/

Hope it helps.  Cheers.

----------

ORIGINAL POST:

Hello everyone.  Looking for some suggestions to speed up my windows client.  I'm wondering if anyone is experiencing the same issues I am, and if the community (or support) have any workarounds.

Essentially, here's the situation:  My windows clients on all machines have become so slow they are virtually impossible to use.  Regular tasks like typing multiple sentences, changing notebooks on a note, adding tags to a note, or even scrolling through a list of notes has stops constantly at somewhat random intervals.  The gui freezes (and shows not responding) for sometimes 4 to 5 seconds at a time.  And this will typically happen every two or three sentences or so, whether the client is currently syncing or not.

Before we start, know that the slow speed is universal through all of my windows computers (multiple decent speed desktops 1 to 2 years, surface book i7, surface pro, etc.) and has been the same across all of the last 5+ versions of the windows client.  All of my computers have SSDs (with the database, OS, and Windows client installed on the SSD) and reasonable performance.

The problem I suspect the problem is linked to the enormous size of my database.  Since I run my business with 68+ employees and 6k+ customers off the system, my database is around 65K notes taking up around 40GB.  I realize that I am approaching the 100k note limit quickly (perhaps by the end of this year I'll need to remove some anyway), but I'm wondering if there might be a work around to not have to cut down the database and still have the clients workable.

The slowness appears to be entirely related to CPU usage.  Monitoring my resources, the SSDs have no trouble keeping up under nearly all circumstances.  The CPU however is pegged every few seconds while the gui is being used.  (Or rather, since the client seems to be single-threaded, one core is pegged.) The application seems not be multi-threaded in any meaningful fashion, and I can only assume that some background table queries are taking place regularly based upon what I am typing.  I could certainly understand if searches were slow with a database my size, or even tagging (since the tag table must be loaded in memory each time a tag is typed, to search for a matching tag name).  But there seems to be no reason to have this sort of CPU stall out with things as simple as typing or scrolling through notes.  And when it stalls my GUI completely stops responding for 1 to 5 seconds.

I have disabled all syncing (in case instant sync or background sync or similar was the problem), and this has not helped.  I realize that evernote maintains some kind of word token table for searching.  Perhaps this word token table is being searched at regular intervals based up words typed, in order to provide the [completely unused by me] context function?  Or perhaps the text I am typing right now is being tokenized at intervals (this should be extremely fast) and then inserted appropriately into the token table at the same intervals (which would probably be where the freezing occurs).  Even now as I type this very message in a new note in the windows client my cursor routinely freezes and cues up my keystrokes, only to insert them some seconds later.  I have very little experience in database driven applications (and am doing a lot of guessing here), but it seems like a simple decoupling of the interface from the background table queries, token insertion, and the like via multi-threading would easily solve this problem.  I realize that is likely low on the priority list of things to accomplish for Evernote, so what I'm really looking for here is a work-around.

The first and most obvious solution would be for me to remove a large number of notes (and perhaps place them in a second evernote account).  This I am prepared to do, but it's not exactly Plan A.  This would be a pretty comfortable solution if we were able to have two accounts on Android devices which we could switch between.  I'd be happy to pay the money for a second premium account.  Then I would simply keep most of my older notes in the second (slower) account, and could access them easily (if more slowly) by switching accounts on either my windows clients (already possible) or my android devices (not possible as far as I can discover).  As there doesn't seem to be the ability to switch accounts on an android device (without deleting my 40GB account and re-downloading the other each time) this solution would mean I wouldn't have access to the older notes when I was away from my windows pcs.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other work-arounds?  Can anyone think of any guesses as to what the background lookups/etc. causing the high CPU usage actually are, and how I might disable that functionality to be able to use the client again?  Can I disable context lookup, just in case that helps? I assume if the holdup is the insertion of tokens into the main search table at regular intervals, that is core functionality that I won't be able to disable from the GUI.

I thought I would see what you all think before I spend hours and hours developing a plan on what data to make inaccessible on my mobile devices. :)

Thanks in advance for your help, and Happy New Year!
  • Level 5*

Hi.  There are various things you can do in Tools > Options > Sync.  I have mine set to sync changes on exit and automatically every hour.  Everything else there is unticked.  If you have 'show advanced options' ticked and look in Options > Note you'll see the context options at the bottom.  Switch that off.

Beyond that a sizeable group of users swear by SSD's for lightning-fast operation - I still use spinning metal and don't do badly on 22K (ish) notes and a 15GB database.

You might want to look at Evernote Business - I have no information about how well it handles large databases,  but it is designed to cater for a large number of users and corporate level operations,  so you'd think it would be pretty good...

You should certainly talk to Support about this - they might have other suggestions.

• Level 5*

There are extra help options available if you hold down the Ctrl key while clicking help.  Though it didn't help @GiacomoLaw it did appear to help at least one other user.

You should back up your data before trying any of these other options.

The only other suggestion I can think of is try the latest Windows beta if you haven't already (again, back up first).  One of its fixes is apparently improved handling of large resources.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, 3k47 said:

I have disabled all syncing (in case instant sync or background sync or similar was the problem), and this has not helped.

I assume that you're referring to the options on Tools / Options / Synchronization. The other thing that you might try, if you haven't already, is the options on Tools / Options / Search / Search options: "Search when note is updated" (try disabling it), and "Search as you type delay" (try setting it to 0). You can hover these controls to see what Evernote says that they do. You'll need to have Tools / Options / "Show advanced options" enabled. Oh, and also, the Context options are on the Tools / Options / Notes option page, down at the bottom.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, GiacomoLaw said:

Yes, I did that. In fact, EN is unusable now because it keeps crashing whilst trying to reindex my notes.

Wow, really does sound like something is wrong with your database.  Definitely support time if you haven't already reached out.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Wow, really does sound like something is wrong with your database.  Definitely support time if you haven't already reached out.  Good luck.

Already did. They said it was because Evernote database is in 32 bit or something like that :/

I kind of just use the web version now. :( 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, GiacomoLaw said:

They said it was because Evernote database is in 32 bit or something like that

This makes no sense to me. The Evernote Windows client is a 32-bit Windows program for everyone, and uses the same Mysql database format everywhere on Windows. What did they actually say?

19 hours ago, jefito said:

This makes no sense to me. The Evernote Windows client is a 32-bit Windows program for everyone, and uses the same Mysql database format everywhere on Windows. What did they actually say?

I'll try to find the email.

Here it is:

While Evernote is a 64-bit application, there are some background processes that run in 32-bit mode. These include indexing and database housekeeping duties that Evernote does on startup. These steps are done serially and will take over the system resources when it is performing the steps. You will see this as a (not responding) message, or an extended delay in the app.

I know this can be an annoyance. I have it happen occasionally on my personal notebook. My apologies for that. The Engineering team is working to rework that part of the app. I don't have a timeframe for when that will be completed.

• Level 5*

Thanks.

That's curious. As best I can tell, the Evernote.exe executable is 32-bit, not 64-bit. I'm not saying that they're wrong; it just doesn't jibe with what I'm seeing. It does look as though the installation uses DLLs that come in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, so I'm assuming that 32-bit DLL versions of these are used on 32-bit platforms and 64-bit versions are used on 64-bit platforms, but the base executable is still 32-bit. I'm not seeing the official SQLite release DLLs in the Evernote executable folder, but maybe they're using the single source file version that they just include in their executable build, making the database access part part of Evernote 32-bit version by default.

Regardless, it sounds like that part of Evernote is single-threaded, so that's why Evernote is slowed up there.

Well, I was about to start a thread, asking for any ideas on how to speed up Evernote.

21084 notes, very close to 250 notebooks.

I try very hard not to edit a note or open the app in front of colleagues, because it will be spinning its wheel for  20, 30 seconds each time. Deleting an Acrobat attachment seems particularly difficult for Evernote.

It is almost too slow for work, but Evernote is so much embedded in my workflow that I don't know what I will do on my next project.

• Level 5*

The bromides pending any enhancements from EN seem to be

1. Modify your sync settings, turn off instant sync (though I have it turned on)
  2. Use the Recreate/Optimize options in the Ctrl-Help menu.
  3. Turn off context
  4. Solid State disk.

I am a proponent of the SSD.  Made the change 4-5 years back and haven't had any speed issues since.  Don't really to care to camouflage potential software issues with hardware, but in this case it was worth it to me.  Plus everything runs faster.  31,236 notes and 9 notebooks (2 of which are Inbox and Scans).  YMMV.

On 1/10/2017 at 8:51 PM, Austin G said:

@GiacomoLaw, @3k47 Did you try disabling context? Tools>Options>Context and uncheck Show context.  If you're on the 6.5 beta, check Show Advanced Options to see this. Let us know is disabling context doesn't help. 

Okay, I'll give it a go.

However, I use context quite a bit, and I don't like disabling features I pay for. :(

On 1/10/2017 at 0:11 AM, jefito said:

Ah, sweet affirmation... :) 

Signed,

Mr Smug

Sorry, my mistake! :( 

• 1 month later...

Also experiencing a very slow Evernote App on Win 10.

about 5000 notes in a about 100 notebooks. 

I run all my applications from a SSD and I have used the optimize and recreate options in the ctrl+Help menu.

Still, every time I create a new note there is a slight lag, and as soon as I've typed in my Title there is another lag.

I don't notice the same lag in the Web App.

I have a very fast computer (20 threads / 64gb ram), as I work in 3D animation and there is no similar lag on any other applications.

Evernote doesn't strike me as an application that would need to seems slow like this.

thanks

David

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, dflamholc said:

Also experiencing a very slow Evernote App on Win 10.

Hmmn.  And you've tried all the tweaks suggested above?  Reinstall / Killing Type-ahead,  Context and so on..?  I'd suggest a support request...

Edit:  Actually,  have you tried the current Beta?  There's a new sync-on-demand feature that reduced my database size from 16GB to 200KB - only the notes you're actively using are stored locally - and that has also much improved the response of one of my laptops currently running that version...

On 07/03/2017 at 7:03 PM, gazumped said:

There's a new sync-on-demand feature

thx @gazumped! that sound awesome re beta! 

yes well I've tried loads of the re-build database options in ctrl+help, but not a full reinstall as I don't really have time to deal with the possible pending disaster.

incidentally lovely windows 10 suddenly suggested I downloaded the windows app from the store which I did, which then turned out to be what I already had installed from the Evernote site. So i just left it at that not having the time to look into possible differences and if not then why windows suddenly thought I didn't have the app installed.

I admit I have not disabled Context but then again i use that a fair bit so I would't want to find out that the app is much better without using that. Ill enable beta versions and try out what you suggested 

cheers

david

------------------

so i enabled beta versions and downloaded the latest version available, and then enabled the option to "sync on demand" 

not seeing any change in my database size yet tho. not sure if the feature would actually delete any data - proably more just limit what new data gets added based on "the demand"

advice?

• 2 months later...

FINALLY I have some relief on this issue.  After a bunch of experimentation I discovered that the primary source of my freezing is based on the Windows client connecting to Evernote's servers while I'm typing.  No combination of checking/unchecking advanced options under the Synchronization section, disabling context, disabling the search update feature, etc. would solve my freezing issue. I already have the client on fairly fast machines (with SSDs) and each machine was displaying the same problem. As a last-ditch effort I disconnected my Internet connection to the computer and found that essentially solved the problem.  Evidently telling the client (via Options/Synchronization) not to update instantly (or ever) doesn't actually stop it from syncing. Instead I created a firewall rule to block the windows client from connecting to the Evernote servers.  

This presents obvious problems, as no one wants to have to go into Windows Firewall every time you type in Evernote.  Nevertheless, this was worth it for me, since the client was otherwise useless.  Then of course, if you forget to unblock the app your changes will not sync (and nor will anything else).  

In order to speed up this process and remove the possibility of forgetting to re-enable syncing with the servers for the windows client, I created batch files which easily turn on and off the firewall rule, and I created a Windows Task Scheduler task to turn back on syncing to the client (by disabling the firewall rule) every 2 hrs or so, just in case I walk away from my computer.

Here's the process:

Create a windows firewall rule: Windows Firewall/Advanced Settings/Outbound Rules/New Rule.  Type of rule = Program.  Program path = the path to your evernote.exe file. Then choose "Block the connection." When does this rule apply? Check all three options.  Then for the name, make sure to name it "Block Evernote."  This gives you a firewall rule which can be turned on and off by batch files and by Task Scheduler

Create two batch files, Block Evernote.bat and Unblock Evernote.bat.  I've attached what those batch files look like to this post (you'll need to change their extensions from .txt to .bat).

Block Evernote.bat has one line in it, which is 'netsh advfirewall firewall set rule name="Block Evernote" new enable=yes'.  The unblock version is the same, but "enable=no".

Next create shortcuts to these two batch files (in order to provide administrator privileges).  Once the shortcuts are created, you need to right-click each shortcut, go to Properties, click Advanced, and Run as Administrator checkbox (if you skip this step it won't work, because netsh needs admin privileges).

Now double-clicking either of these shortcuts will enable or disable the window's client's ability to talk to the servers.  Use the Block one before you start typing in Evernote, and the Unblock when you are done.

To make sure you don't forget to turn off the blocking, go to Windows Task Scheduler/Click "Task Scheduler Library" on upper left/"Create Basic Task..." on upper right.  Give it a name like "Unblock Evernote" and make sure you click "Run with highest privileges."  The Trigger should be at log on (or at startup should work also), and select that you want it to repeat every 2 hrs (or however often you like) for a duration of indefinitely.  In the Action, you would put Program/script = netsh, and Add arguments = advfirewall firewall set rule name="Block Evernote" new enable=no

This is a lot of messing around, but totally worth it to me to be able to use the client again.  And this work-around, so far, has been very effective.

Evernote, please look into fixing this issue more permanently.  This is simply poor coding.  The interface/database manipulations need to be decoupled from the background functions such as server access (and not executed serially).  And while you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to have the advanced options (which are supposed to stop the client from updating the note on the server every 5 words) actually work.

Hope this helps someone else.  Good luck!

Unblock Evernote.txt

Block Evernote.txt

• Level 5*
On 07/03/2017 at 0:51 PM, dflamholc said:

not seeing any change in my database size yet tho. not sure if the feature would actually delete any data - proably more just limit what new data gets added based on "the demand"

advice?

Sorry - didn't see this until now.  I hope you resolved the situation by now - the way to get an immediate reduction in database size is to rename the original databases file (in Windows) or just delete it.  Rebuild the database from the server and 'on demand' will just set up a basic folder with little or no data until you start searching.  See the release thread for the considerations though - searching does take longer and it isn't obvious that Evernote keeps on looking for a while.

@3k47 - thanks for sharing.  I'll Evernote the method,  but I'm not rushing to try it out unless / until I start having major freezes.  Whatever fairy dust is gluing my system together at the moment is still holding,  and I'm not going to fix something that isn't (very) broke.

@gazumped How big a database in size and notes do you have?  I'm curious about the criteria under which this problem presents itself.  More to the point, I'm wondering how many notes/how much data I'd need to archive and remove from my account to eliminate this behavior.  My database is 74k notes across 34GB of data.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, 3k47 said:

@gazumped How big a database in size and notes do you have?  I'm curious about the criteria under which this problem presents itself.  More to the point, I'm wondering how many notes/how much data I'd need to archive and remove from my account to eliminate this behavior.  My database is 74k notes across 34GB of data.

When did the problem appear for you?

I am glad to hear that if I cut down my size to around 50% there is hope of eliminating the issue.  Unfortunately I can't say when the problem first began, but it seems to me it increased gradually over time.

• Level 5*

I seem to remember another user on the forum commenting about an unusable account and reckoning that the practical limit for reasonable performance was about 40,000 notes - a number that I'm approaching with some concerns.  That was some years ago though,  and I know Evernote have improved databases,  syncing and general access since then so maybe it's been pushed considerably further.

You could look into the new 'on demand' (beta) syncing feature where you can select to enable the feature and then exit Evernote and rename your database folder.  I've done this on a second laptop which is logged into my account and displays a full search index,  but less than 1MB of storage.  Notes are downloaded only when I edit them and then remain on my system.  Evernote did say they might develop this so that notes not used for a period are synced to the server and then removed from local storage - so you'd only ever have 'work in progress' notes in the actual database folder,  though the account is still fully seachable.

There are some drawbacks - you'll get the results of searches from locally-stored notes very quickly,  but depending on the content and your connection,  your server-based results may be much slower to arrive.  There's currently no indication that a search is ongoing after the first set of results is shown.

Have a look at the release thread if you might be interested -

Adode changed LR architecture to 64Bit only some time ago.

EN and LR both use SQLite as database.

Large database and SQLite plus 32Bit = lags. instability, database corruption inherent. 

Look for ways  to deal with these known factors.

4 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

Adode changed LR architecture to 64Bit only some time ago.

EN and LR both use SQLite as database.

Large database and SQLite plus 32Bit = lags. instability, database corruption inherent. 

Look for ways  to deal with these known factors.

Scary stuff. How To deal with this idea?

Keep the database as small as possible. Make sure your notes actually got synchronised to the Evernote server. Backup the contents of your complete local Evernote folder to USB or other external drive at regular intervals. 

Another consideration on my part would be that whatever you do not want to go to the Evernote server (local notebooks) should be dealt with within a few days then exported to documents formats not needing Evernote, 

Evernote's regard and concern for their customers data integrity is somewhat low. LR offers the user to auto backup the database with choice of interval, automatically checks database integrity before backup, which incidentally is in zip format to keep space requirements down. 

It is certainly not just a whim on the part of Evernote to limit the number of notebooks. 

• Level 5*

So in case I missed something that should have been blindingly obvious - why exactly would Evernote have an ulterior motive to limit the number of notebooks to 250?

-And Lightroom doesn't provide an automatic backup to the cloud,  so kind've has to remind users to back up their work periodically...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

So in case I missed something that should have been blindingly obvious - why exactly would Evernote have an ulterior motive to limit the number of notebooks to 250?

-And Lightroom doesn't provide an automatic backup to the cloud,  so kind've has to remind users to back up their work periodically...

@gazumped 

Friendly suggestion on my part.  Look for information on data base structures.

LR neither begs for rating of the product nor does it remind users to back up. The backup function is an option in the programme the user can activate or leave alone.

Another point I'd like to make is  denying or playing down deficiencies people experience and complain about is not what I regard good user 2 user help.

By now just about everybody has experienced notes or contents within notes getting lost. Lost in data storage/transfer no-man's land. 

Have you ever had any Evernote warning message saying 'do not close, do not run device down, data storage still in progress'? I don't think so. 

Good luck to all Evernoters.

• Level 5*

@JohnLongney you seem not to have answered my question.  It was asked in a spirit of genuine enquiry - I'm not a mindless supporter of Evernote,  but it does annoy me when I see posts that make throwaway comments like "it's not just a whim..." without explaining the reasoning.  You might have a good point I hadn't thought of - I just didn't understand the reference at all.

As to LR - if we're talking Lightroom the image processing app,  I use it in Windows and I agree it does remind me to backup my catalogue regularly - which (for those non-lightroomers here) is the record of all the filters and changes I applied to my photographs.  The original pictures are left untouched where they are saved.  LR doesn't remind me to backup the actual images - but when I import pics from my camera they're optionally copied to an external source as well as to the main storage location. 

My point here was though that Lightroom is used on a single workstation and isn't a necessarily a networked app.  It actively needs to remind folks to backup their work.  Evernote,  theoretically,  has backups baked in (to the server,  to local storage) so shouldn't need to remind users.  More importantly I don't remember anyone -ever- requesting a regular backup reminder as a feature.

Though every time I exit Evernote Windows there's a pop-up "Evernote is synchronising notes - exit now or finish sync and then exit?" (or something to that effect...)

@gazumped

Now you are telling me something I have never encountered in my time with Evernote, viz. a warning note. How come? Evernote is on auto start but when I go out from  Evernote and run Windows down the system closed the application same as others on auto-start. 

LR is set by me do a backup of the catalogue (database) once a day, proving it is started. I can skip the backup but it is programmed to do it and that feature is included in the software. In the same way as it allows cloud synchro, aka the Creative Cloud.

In all data storage locally controlled storage ranks above cloud storage. Not for a moment do I belief that Evernote run servers around the globe. The basic Windows web application supports my suspicion. 

What is throw away kind of talk when I point to the inherent weakness of any SQLite database? Adobe just did not want any further complaints of corrupt database, but as that company serves customers who are required to pay, it seems logical that they both had the money and the incentive to improve the performance of the software including automated backup.

I want to give you a comparison of performance. I webclip an article with Evernote, wait until that is finished before I go over to Evernote for editing. I start synchro and immediately experience some freeze in the software despite it being a minimal download.

I start LR and import some new pics and never ever is there a freeze in the software. I call up a video stored on Dropbox.com and it starts to play. 

So what is different in Evernote? I do not know. But the limit on notebooks is quite striking. Logic tells me that the developers were aware of the risks the database choice means, After all every single note is included in the database. And so every change overwrites the file within the database. There simply is no note file outside the database. You know that other databases such as LR creates do not actually contain original files. That  database merely contains information included in the original files plus 'recipes' applied, collections made, etc. 

One of the biggest drawbacks of LR is that the database isaimed at single user access. Why is this? Because at the time SQLite was chosen nobody thought of the explosion of data exchange coming up. Lightroom not being the only product in the range Adobe can afford to keep LR at the development level it needs to be usable. What is more, though one is allowed to have the product installed on two different machines the EULA categorically allow use only on one device at a time. 

Evernote however does not warn you or stop you from simultaneous use at the same time. I can work on a particular note and my wife can work on it as well. Who wins? (apart from ladies, especially wives, always scoring :-) .  In the Evernote world it is simply such that the modified file that reaches the Evernote server first gets priority. Evernote also did not consider simultaneous use originally nor was genuine version control ever implemented. 

The greatest issue with Evernote however is the failing active and open exchange with customers. Neither can I prove it nor does it really matter, however I suspect this behaviour is due to their own anxieties. In other words, they are not fully in control in a number of aspects. Sad in a way but not altogether surprising (to me). 

I hope my explanations will help you in your considerations. 

• Level 5*

Well,  as to the exit message -

592d8501c066d_ScreenClip4.png.63634009854d69164de94cd5d43729ef.png

When and how that pops up may depend on how you have your sync options set.

On the rest of it - you seem to be conflating multi-user access with data loss and notebook limits.  AFAIK the under-the-hood details of a 'notebook' are just another entry in a database header.  There's no intrinsic difference between tags and notebooks,  and you can already have 100,000 tags.  It's very possible that there is a good technical reason behind Evernote limiting the notebook numbers - or maybe they just think that tags are the way to go,  and 250 notebooks is being generous for those users who haven't fully converted to tags yet,  or offers a way to wind down on the use of folders over a period.  I don't normally have a lot of notebooks,  but just temporarily I have around 100 with lots of part-sorted contents.

The simultaneous access thing adds a whole new level of complexity to synchronisation - even now we're seeing notes updated when the app 'thinks' you've finished editing,  or when you close a note or shift focus from it.  That's not (obviously) 'real time' updating,  which is what you'd need if two or more people are editing the same note.

'Possibly' for security reasons (I really don't know) Evernote seems unwilling to let anyone have direct access to the server.  Even though the web view updates the server frequently it's still not 'live' access - the display is also driven by the server.  Various products do allow simultaneous access - Google Drive (I believe) amongst them;  and if you really need that feature Evernote isn't (with all respect) the notes app you're looking for.  In Basic,  Plus and Premium,  Evernote is principally a single-main-user product with an inbuilt ability to share one person's data with others.  It's not true collaboration.

There are a lot of ways bad things can happen to your data - particularly when you have the number of users Evernote has spread around the world in vastly different tech environments.  I don't necessarily think Evernote have solved all the problems of getting your and my data onto their server yet,  but I'm sure they're continuing to try.  Meantime I intend to continue to take what seem to me to be reasonable precautions in using any app - and while I've lost data from time to time (including,  ironically today) I'm not entirely sure that's not down to me hitting the wrong key at the wrong time,  or - like today - having a desktop clear-up that maybe threw out a couple of dishes with the washing up water.  :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who might be using my Windows Firewall blocking method, I've made one small change to the implementation.  Instead of having Task Scheduler disable the Evernote-blocking firewall rule every so often, I have it doing so only on user logon.  Then in the Block Evernote batch file, I've changed the code so it enables the firewall rule blocking Evernote's connection to the servers, then waits for 2 hrs, then automatically disables the firewall rule (and thus allows Evernote to sync again, in case I walk away from my computer and forget).  Note that the 2 hrs is a totally arbitrary length of time.  This blocking/waiting/unblocking sequence all takes place within the single batch file as follows:

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule name="Block Evernote" new enable=yes
timeout 7200
netsh advfirewall firewall set rule name="Block Evernote" new enable=no

Of course you still need to have the firewall rule "Block Evernote" created as I described in a previous post in this thread.  This new change has 3 advantages:

1)  I always have 2 hours of typing/tagging/manipulating notes without freeze-ups before the client can start syncing again.  The previous implementation had the unblocking taking place every two hours after logon, and thus if I were unlucky enough to turn on the blocking to start typing right before an even multiple of two hours since the last time I logged on, the unblock script would run and I'd have to stop and run the blocking script again.

2) While this batch file is waiting the 2 hrs (7200 seconds) a cmd window is left open on my screen reminding me that the Evernote client is blocked and I should unblock it before leaving my desk.  Of course I can minimize this window I need the screen space.

3) Unblocking when I'm finished using the client is as easy as switching to the cmd window showing the 7200 second count down, and pressing any key.  This cancels the countdown and continues to the next line of the batch file, which is of course the line which turns off the blocking.

Hope this is useful for someone else.  Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2017 at 1:55 PM, s2sailor said:

This was an ongoing problem before Windows 10, and it got worse with Windows 10. I agree it's probably due to database size (I have over 27,000 notes), and it is also due to Evernote trying to index WHILE documents are being edited--based on some seriously flawed reasoning about when indexing should occur.

Either completely separate indexing functions, and assign a different processor to do it, or don't ever index while the user interface is active.

I don't know how Evernote works "under the hood," but when I was a programmer in the 1990s to just prior to 2010, I used a replication database that did nothing but track changes to single records from multiple locations (which can happen when a person uses the online interface to look up records while editing records from the application). The replication table was common to the WAN and consisted of a table name, record ID, change timestamp, field ID, a pre-edit value, a post-edit value, and a priority assignment that a separate process could manipulate to resolve congestion. The operator interface would always edit local data only, both to a local database and to the replication table. Their local record was locked as they edited on a first-come-first served basis, and replication records were locked on a field-by-field basis the same way. Edits to a particular field would fail if the same field was being edited at another location (in another town) but the user could decide whether to save other edits or to abandon the whole record. This method worked so well that it was possible to maintain the integrity and synchronicity of hundreds of records per hour even when the local networks were tied via telephone links. 

Consider whether there is a way to change how Windows prioritizes Evernote database operations.

Also, consider whether a different database engine could be working instead. I had a lot of success with Postgres in the past when I was a programmer. (I was disabled ten years ago by a brain injury, which took away my ability to program, and also accounts for my dependence on Evernote to accommodate my disability.) Use a database engine that is designed for high-volumes of data, and while you're at it, give us the option of using SQL queries to simplify the process of finding records! 

The advice about rebuilding is one of the same answers I always get when I call about this problem, which I have done regularly over the years. Neither suggestion (Re-creating and Reindexing) has ever provided significant help, and before I switched to using SSD drives, rebuilding and re-indexing always took about two weeks. Since switching to SSD drives I have gotten the rebuild and re-index to take under two days. It might be worth the sacrifice if it fixed anything. 

What does help is rather drastic, because I have to reboot afterward, but I close all programs on the computer including Evernote, then I kill all background processes using process manager, and then I restart only Evernote and allow it to catch up, which takes about an hour. Then I reset my computer to use it. 

This is a drastic way to have to fix a common problem. 

It is my opinion that Windows purposely de-prioritizes Evernote so people will by their woefully inadequate failure, "OneNote," which doesn't have any of the interoperability with other OSs (I wish it supported Linux, and I'd stop messing with Windows entirely. Linux database management doesn't prioritize Windows TOYS that I will never use over the important applications like Evernote, that I depend upon. 

• Level 5*

If you go to task manager and right click on Evernote.exe, you have the ability to elevate the priority to force Windows to improve the performance? Does anyone know what damage this could do to other apps that are running, and will it actually improve the performance of Evernote? I am testing with "above normal" but if anyone knows more than me I am happy to learn from their experience!

• Level 5*
On 7/15/2017 at 0:20 PM, FactMan said:

If you go to task manager and right click on Evernote.exe, you have the ability to elevate the priority to force Windows to improve the performance? Does anyone know what damage this could do to other apps that are running, and will it actually improve the performance of Evernote? I am testing with "above normal" but if anyone knows more than me I am happy to learn from their experience!

This may or may not have any effect. If Evernote is "CPU bound" (i.e., doing calculations with the CPU rather than doing I/O), changing priority would get Evernote onto the CPU over other processes with lower priorities, but that may not be the case. You may in fact be "I/O bound", in which case your Evernote is waiting for some I/O operation to complete (e.g.,. a disk access) before it can be put in the running state. I'd guess that this is likely the case, since Evernote runs on a database on disk. There's lots of things to read if you do a web search on something like "windows task manager change priority"...

One thing is sure: Evernote is very inefficient when you manage large notes. 

I spent an enormous amount of time today splitting a huge note with many pictures/coordinates of locations (i do location managing in tv) because it was so slow to just scroll through the note. But the process of splitting the note was also terribly long. I should have known it was note a good idea to put all these pictures in one note.

PDF and images inside notes (which, by itself, is one of the best feature advertised in Evernote) would be a reason for me to look elsewhere. Replacing a PDF file or an image in a note, even a small one, is terribly slow.

Is there really a significant speed advantage in completely disabling Context (by unticking "Show context")?  Or is the problem only when you have EXTERNAL, ONLINE Context sources selected such as The Wall Street Journal or Linked In.  I find the "Show related notes" option quite helpful, and surely that only queries your own database, and if you have the whole thing stored locally, it doesn't seem to impact speed much (although I'm on a solid-state drive, so most things are speedy anyway).

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having this issue for far too long (while it seems like forever, I don't know exactly when it started). I am convinced that it is related to instant syncing of notes. I have disabled every sync option I can find, but the little blue triangle still pops up while typing in a note. When it does, the GUI freezes until the little blue triangle goes away. Very annoying and is ruining my experience with evernote. I loose my typing flow when the text doesn't appear as I type. You wouldn't think it would matter that much but it does. I have to type now without looking at the screen and then proof-read what I typed to check for errors.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ybp9003 said:

the GUI freezes until the little blue triangle goes away.

If you open Task Manager and check Processes you should find that Evernote will be the heaviest user of disk access for that period too - it's happening to me periodically too.

Which versions of Evernote and Windows are you using,  and how big is your database? (MB or GB)

I didn't read the posts before, so don't know if the previous post mentioned this, but when I hold down ctrl, click help in menu, and after clicking the "optimize database", the slow and lag situation in my pc will get better. I'm not saying this will resolve all the lag problems, but it does solve my problem.

• Level 5*

I'd recommend that you have a current full backup of your database folder before using those options.  They're not immediately available because the effects may not always be way you'd want.  The option to recreate the search index sometimes helps too...

FIXED (by a work around).

I'm the OP on this thread, and I had the exact same problem you folks have been mentioning (and videoing), and my problem is completely fixed for now by a workaround.  The problem is somehow related to the client using the network in the background.  The solution is to create a windows firewall rule blocking evernote.exe while you are using evernote (typing, dropping in graphics, moving notes, whatever).  

This completely eliminated the freezing for me.  Then when you are finished creating or modifying content, you can disable the firewall rule and let the client sync.  

See my previous posts for details on how to set this up so it's a little more convenient to enable/disable the firewall rule (rather than having to open windows firewall each time, etc.).

My workaround described earlier in this thread lets me just click a shortcut to block evernote (and allow me to use the client without freeze ups), and then allow me to unblock it instantly when done, and will even automatically unblock it after a set time (in case I forget).

Still hoping Evernote decides to fix this properly someday.

Here are the detailed instructions on how I got my Windows client working again: http://www.evernote.com/l/ALrsBe2IrjdFfbGIOZYVpxRJAOUnjFZD2f4/

Hope it helps.  Cheers.

4 hours ago, ybp9003 said:

As am I. I will let you know if it works for me.

Oh wow.

So far, what a relief.

Still a bit of lagging when I attach or delete a big file to a note.

But this is so much better in all the others areas.

I'll continue testing though. Hopefully, some people from the company are checking this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 7:09 AM, fredhammersmith said:

I am trying it.

Can't live with these constant freezes. Evernote is very important in my workflow.

UPDATE: This workaround was working great for me. Then I followed the suggestions Evernote Support gave me which was to rebuild my database and setup on demand syncing.

Now the workaround is broken because I can no longer get my full database to download. It only downloads notes on a request basis even though I've gone in and turned off on demand sync.

When I navigate to notes it can't load them because it needs to download them.

Any ideas?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ybp9003 said:

When I navigate to notes it can't load them because it needs to download them.

If you're using the firewall trick described here,  that stops Evernote from connecting to the server.  On demand sync can't work if Evernote can't connect.  If you wish to move away from on demand syncing,  you'll need to allow Evernote to connect to the server and remove ticks from Enable ODS and Purge note content after... 

No one has any great experience at what happens after that,  but I'd suggest you exit Evernote and restart your system,  make sure you're connected to the server with a manual sync,  and give it a couple of hours for your database to catch up.  If that fails you may need to rebuild your database from the server.

14 hours ago, gazumped said:

exit Evernote and restart your system,  make sure you're connected to the server with a manual sync,  and give it a couple of hours for your database to catch up.  If that fails you may need to rebuild your database from the server.

I guess I'll have to rebuild from the server. It refuses to download all the content on the front end. Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 28/08/2017 at 3:02 PM, 3k47 said:

I've made a small change to my workaround instructions which explains how to put an icon on the taskbar to easily activate blocking when needed.  Here's the link again:

http://www.evernote.com/l/ALrsBe2IrjdFfbGIOZYVpxRJAOUnjFZD2f4/

Cheers.

OK I'm a convert now - have been noticing after recently passing through 40,000 notes (and still going) that any minor change to a note,  or sometimes just starting a search will instantly cause Evernote to max out on disk access and slow everything down while it becomes the busiest app on the block for no apparent reason.  This lasts for 20-30 seconds and then we're back.  Recently annoying on a phone call when I needed a reference number and had to do the "my system is running a bit slow today" BS to fill in time...

My laptop is a Win10 i7 Dell with 4GB of memory - spinning rust 1TB HD

Just tried this out properly for the first time,  and on first glance it works!  No more time-outs!!

All power to @3k47 who is a steely-eyed rocket man.

Since this 'fixes' an issue I'm also reporting it to Support.  If anything happens as the result,  I'll let you know!

On 9/1/2017 at 10:12 AM, gazumped said:

OK I'm a convert now - have been noticing after recently passing through 40,000 notes (and still going) that any minor change to a note,  or sometimes just starting a search will instantly cause Evernote to max out on disk access and slow everything down while it becomes the busiest app on the block for no apparent reason.  This lasts for 20-30 seconds and then we're back.  Recently annoying on a phone call when I needed a reference number and had to do the "my system is running a bit slow today" BS to fill in time...

My laptop is a Win10 i7 Dell with 4GB of memory - spinning rust 1TB HD

Just tried this out properly for the first time,  and on first glance it works!  No more time-outs!!

All power to @3k47 who is a steely-eyed rocket man.

Since this 'fixes' an issue I'm also reporting it to Support.  If anything happens as the result,  I'll let you know!

Sad to say, but I'm quite happy to have you in the "oh for crying out loud" evernote club ;-)

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, lisec said:

Sad to say, but I'm quite happy to have you in the "oh for crying out loud" evernote club ;-)

Believe me,  so far this year I've been an active associate member of that club with accounting or performance beefs about almost every other service I use...  With my luck it was inevitable that Evernote would join in sometime!  :)

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, lisec said:

I joined the club.  Created a 10 minute version for those times I am doing major edits.  Don’t need it other than that, but very nice to have it then.  :)

this is good stuff, but ... really ?? i've stopped using the win app since a year back!! i find it utterly unusable and i refuse to jump through poodle-hoops to help it on its way.

on the good side the web app is a wee bit better nowadays

but seriously i find it ooooouuuuutrageeeeooouuusss that the Evernote win app is so slow (please read "useless") - click on the title... wait. click in the text field... wait. hit enter... wait. its like a school project at the moment.

sorry just venting. d

3 minutes ago, dflamholc said:

this is good stuff, but ... really ?? i've stopped using the win app since a year back!! i find it utterly unusable and i refuse to jump through poodle-hoops to help it on its way.

but seriously i find it ooooouuuuutrageeeeooouuusss that the Evernote win app is so slow (please read "useless") - click on the title... wait. click in the text field... wait. hit enter... wait. its like a school project at the moment.

sorry just venting. d

I agree.   

I'm so invested in it though that I feel like a hostage.

Everytime I look at alternates or decide to just save all my stuff as straight text or straight html  I think of all the work and Evernote just seems so much easier despite the fact that it is this close to unusable sometimes.

2 minutes ago, lisec said:

I agree.   

I'm so invested in it though that I feel like a hostage.

Everytime I look at alternates or decide to just save all my stuff as straight text or straight html  I think of all the work and Evernote just seems so much easier despite the fact that it is this close to unusable sometimes.

yes I agree completely. I'm using evernote every day and I couldn't get through work or life without it honestly. hence im rather frustrated! about not only this issue.

I've tried support - if you think the win app is useless try those guys haha

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, dflamholc said:

sorry just venting. d

Amazing thing to me is the variability in speed that is reported.  I don't have the biggest DB I'm sure, with 34k notes and a 17.5GB data base I rarely have a slowdown (when I do it seems to be around backspacing in the search box).  5 year old laptop with 8GB of memory and a SSD.  I'd share the twinkie dust if I knew what it was.

1 minute ago, csihilling said:

Amazing thing to me is the variability in speed that is reported.  I don't have the biggest DB I'm sure, with 34k notes and a 17.5GB data base I rarely have a slowdown (when I do it seems to be around backspacing in the search box).  5 year old laptop with 8GB of memory and a SSD.  I'd share the twinkie dust if I knew what it was.

For the hell of it... are you running on 64 bit?

1 minute ago, csihilling said:

hmm yeah I dont't know. I have one win 10 machine in London with 32 threads and 64gb ram and its the same there. i got one machine with 20 threads and 64gb ram in bangkok and its the same there. I got a chrome book which is web based and used to produce about 200 dupe notes a day (other fantastic issue to rant about) and i got a toshibal laptop with 16 threads and 16gb of ram which is the same issue as above. pretty please dig up the fairy dust and chuck it our way... now! ;)

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, lisec said:

Well there is only one thing left then: you must have named your computer something it likes quite a bit.

I could share settings, but not sure if that would make a whole bunch of difference.  

On 6/22/2017 at 7:58 PM, 3k47 said:

Instead of having Task Scheduler disable the Evernote-blocking firewall rule every so often, I have it doing so only on user logon.  Then in the Block Evernote batch file, I've changed the code so it enables the firewall rule blocking Evernote's connection to the servers, then waits for 2 hrs, then automatically disables the firewall rule (and thus allows Evernote to sync again, in case I walk away from my computer and forget).  

I've implemented the previous post's version of things although I don't think my task scheduler rule worked. I'll do what you say in this section tomorrow when my brain is functioning better ;-)

What would be absolutely fabulous is if we could have something along these lines:

If Evernote is in focus, stop the connection to the network (via the firewall rule or something else), 
but re-open when Sync is selected and completed; 
otherwise keep the connection going.

I might give my left arm for something like this...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

OK I have just wiped one of my main 3D workstations (PC win10pro). what should i do?

I'm currently using only EN web interface as that's relatively snappy (although I've suddenly noticed some bugs in trying to list all notebooks - they suddenly all disappear as you try to scroll down)

I have fresh internal hardrives (several ssd drives) installed, either one able to handle the EN database, but I'm still dubious to whether this app is actually "fit for purpose"

Im not interested in having a text based application lag and cause problems when while I'm rendering heavy 3D and using about 30-40GB of ram out of 64GB. I need it snappy and quick and no lagging and not giving me any hassle (as in not waiting for the cursor to move again - even  for a few seconds).

What should i do to optimize the possibilities of the Evernote app for win NOT #^&%*()-ing up?

I have absolutely zero faith in the application as it stands right now, as you might notice, and I'm also not interested in massive run-abouts either.

Basically question is - I got a clean system - how do i set it up to run fast, like dropbox paper, google docs or similar?

There  must be a way to have it running fast without lagging without too much issue?

thanks for any advice / David

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dflamholc said:

I have fresh internal hardrives (several ssd drives) installed, either one able to handle the EN database, but I'm still dubious to whether this app is actually "fit for purpose"

I'm not sure what all of the fuss is about. The Windows Evernote application is way better than the web app, in terms of usability and functionality, and I wouldn't trade in the current state that they're in.  I use Evernote for Windows on two separate machines (work and at home),  both decent but not overkill (16GB RAM, one or mode SSDs),.both used for software development of a relatively large project (> 2500 source files of ours, plus many utility libraries); the project itself is for GIS analysis -- a lot of it multi-threaded -- and visualization, including 3D . Aside from that, I do keep my Evernote databases on SSD drives, and rarely encounter any slowdowns / stuttering / etc. I don't have a particularly large Evernote database (2400+ notes, 1GB drive size here, ~600K memory footprint for the executable here  at work, larger at home), so maybe it's that. But it just works. It's certainly fit for my purpose. Your mileage may vary, but the only person who can determine that for your environment is you.

Despite using the firewall trick above (with, I must say, nice results), I am here, complaining again.

I lost about the last 30 minutes on one note.

It is a kind of "feuille de route" for my shooting crew tomorrow. I like to share it via Evernote web, because it is nice on the eye.

But creating the note is a nightmare. I inserted 3 jpeg images (granted, big ones, 4000x3000), with annotations (basically, just arrows).

Well, the spinning wheel has been spinning for the last 30 minutes. Each time it stops and I finally reach for the bar, it starts again.

Terrible. Evernote should not allow creation of notes it cannot display and edit. An email would have been done in 3 minutes.

Adding to this thread, the Evernote client on Windows 10 is molasses-slow in performing mundane tasks. I don't have a large database, and I only have sync on exit enabled. Reinstalled, still having the same problem. The Mac client is great, snappy and fast. Seems to me the Evernote Windows team needs to optimize this sucker because I'm stuck using the web app.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, dulynoted said:

Adding to this thread, the Evernote client on Windows 10 is molasses-slow in performing mundane tasks. I don't have a large database, and I only have sync on exit enabled. Reinstalled, still having the same problem. The Mac client is great, snappy and fast. Seems to me the Evernote Windows team needs to optimize this sucker because I'm stuck using the web app.

Yeah, newer versions of EN seem to be scanning outside the rules sometime, mahaps to mitigate conflict issues.  A fairly simple hack to prevent this is included earlier in this thread.  If you missed it you can find the instructions here - https://www.evernote.com/shard/s186/sh/ec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449/00e5278c5643d9fe.  

I typically don't have any issues with speed in EN except occasionally when I make extensive modifications to a few notes.  I modified the hack above to fully block syncing for 5 minutes in those instances.  Works like a charm.  

But right, end of the day, someone needs to find the gremlin and get it out of the wood pile.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2017 at 2:39 PM, CalS said:

I am a proponent of the SSD.  Made the change 4-5 years back and haven't had any speed issues since. 

SSD doesn't make a difference for me. I have been experiencing unresponsive attempts to scroll down or up the note for copy/cut, very slow & jumpy if at all, large notes totally unresponsive. I'm talking a note with only 400 characters. It happens on both my desktop and my laptop, which is pretty odd, happening on both computers. Both machines are incredible powerful, the laptop has SSD, i7, Dell Gaming Laptop and the desktop has massive resources, WD Velociraptor 10,000 RPM drive on Desktop (where OS and apps are), i7, 48 GB RAM, NVIDA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB video, digital display. The desktop can handle anything and everything I throw at it, Adobe Premier, After Effects, things don't get any more resource intensive than that.

Tried all of the rebuilding stuff under Ctl+Help. It has done that since I have used EN (about 4 years). I have really just tolerated it over the years thinking it was a bug, but nothing ever changes. It is very odd that both machines experience the issue. It seems to point to some kind of dB contamination on the server.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

SSD doesn't make a difference for me. I have been experiencing unresponsive attempts to scroll down or up the note for copy/cut, very slow & jumpy if at all, large notes totally unresponsive. I'm talking a note with only 400 characters. It happens on both my desktop and my laptop, which is pretty odd, happening on both computers. Both machines are incredible powerful, the laptop has SSD, i7, Dell Gaming Laptop and the desktop has massive resources, WD Velociraptor 10,000 RPM drive on Desktop (where OS and apps are), i7, 48 GB RAM, NVIDA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB video, digital display. The desktop can handle anything and everything I throw at it, Adobe Premier, After Effects, things don't get any more resource intensive than that.

Tried all of the rebuilding stuff under Ctl+Help. It has done that since I have used EN (about 4 years). I have really just tolerated it over the years thinking it was a bug, but nothing ever changes. It is very odd that both machines experience the issue. It seems to point to some kind of dB contamination on the server.

Got me, doesn't make sense.  My 5 year old Lenovo with 8GB of memory runs fast with my 35k notes and 18GB data base.  If I had the twinkie dust I would send it.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Got me, doesn't make sense.

Likewise. I have 1,213 notes, tried everything, including the disabling via firewall, etc., everything. EN is one of my most used apps. I have never reached out because I just didn't want to spend 2 days trying to track down software issues, and I just thought it was a bug that would eventually get fixed. Absolutely doesn't make sense. I have an email into support, but don't really expect them to solve anything.

Darndest thing. The right scrolling, left scrolling works fine. It's just attempting to scroll to copy/cut

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, RgaDawg said:

Likewise. I have 1,213 notes, tried everything, including the disabling via firewall, etc., everything. EN is one of my most used apps. I have never reached out because I just didn't want to spend 2 days trying to track down software issues, and I just thought it was a bug that would eventually get fixed. Absolutely doesn't make sense. I have an email into support, but don't really expect them to solve anything.

Good luck.

I find that rebuilding my 14 G database isn't worth the effort. It takes almost 24 hours (we have country download speeds), and runs smoothly for a couple of weeks before becoming unresponsive. 

1. part of the issue could be that sync settings are disregarded:  if you have everything set to not sync it syncs anyways.

2. if the system has been idle for a while (possibly when back from sleep but not sure it is limited to that) whatever you do (new note, search, edit) Evernote becomes unresponsive within a minute and stays unresponsive for a good 3-5 minutes. That is consistent.

3. Hitting the back button during a search is the kiss of death. Might as well go run around the block until Evernote comes back.

4. Pasting a picture and then removing it and replacing it with a different picture will send Evernote in another tizzy, but only in certain circumstances, like maybe if it is the first deletion of the day, or it is the first new note of the day, or Evernote has been idle for a while. It is consistent, I just don't know exactly what conditions are required. 

I do not know how Evernote is going to deal with larger databases. I mean they are only going to get bigger. Why can't they do away with the database (I think apple has no database). In my opinion it would be great if Evernote just created htlm files and folders for each note (C:\Docs\Evernote\NIcky's Homecoming\nicky's homecoming.html). Everything could still sync (like Dropbox and Google Drive) and we would not have to create backups anymore because we would have the readable html files on our drives if for some reason we could not sign-in to Evernote. And that is very important -- you can have as many backups of your exb files as you want, if you signed out of Evernote, and the net goes down, you can't access ANY of your files or backups because you have to be signed in. That, to me is so dangerous.

20 minutes ago, CalS said:

35k notes and 18GB data base.  If I had the twinkie dust I would send it.

Thanks. send dust if you find it. Quite ludicrous since my dB is not even in the GB range, it is more like 600 MB, with 1,213 notes. 

8 minutes ago, lisec said:

I find that rebuilding my 14 G database isn't worth the effort. It takes almost 24 hours (we have country download speeds), and runs smoothly for a couple of weeks before becoming unresponsive. 

1. part of the issue could be that sync settings are disregarded:  if you have everything set to not sync it syncs anyways.

2. if the system has been idle for a while (possibly when back from sleep but not sure it is limited to that) whatever you do (new note, search, edit) Evernote becomes unresponsive within a minute and stays unresponsive for a good 3-5 minutes. That is consistent.

3. Hitting the back button during a search is the kiss of death. Might as well go run around the block until Evernote comes back.

4. Pasting a picture and then removing it and replacing it with a different picture will send Evernote in another tizzy, but only in certain circumstances, like maybe if it is the first deletion of the day, or it is the first new note of the day, or Evernote has been idle for a while. It is consistent, I just don't know exactly what conditions are required. 

I do not know how Evernote is going to deal with larger databases. I mean they are only going to get bigger. Why can't they do away with the database (I think apple has no database). In my opinion it would be great if Evernote just created htlm files and folders for each note (C:\Docs\Evernote\NIcky's Homecoming\nicky's homecoming.html). Everything could still sync (like Dropbox and Google Drive) and we would not have to create backups anymore because we would have the readable html files on our drives if for some reason we could not sign-in to Evernote. And that is very important -- you can have as many backups of your exb files as you want, if you signed out of Evernote, and the net goes down, you can't access ANY of your files or backups because you have to be signed in. That, to me is so dangerous.

What do you mean?You do not need an Internet connection to open an Evernote database.

The rest of your post hit it on the head! Especially the part about deleting images. Drives me crazy.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

Thanks. send dust if you find it. Quite ludicrous since my dB is not even in the GB range, it is more like 600 MB, with 1,213 notes. 

You are welcome.  One last gasp.  Have you tried enabling on demand sync, Tools - Options - Synchronization?  Based upon the DB size and horsepower it doesn't make sense it  would make a difference, but what's going on now doesn't make sense either.  Downside is you can't make full backups nor access notes without a connection. 

Easy enough to turn off and on.  Adjust the purge note content to whatever value on the same panel if you give it a try.  Though, I'd probably wait until you get whatever feedback from EN.

Archived