Evernote for Mac 6.11 Beta 1 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

[Edit 1/18: We've updated this Beta 1 build addressing the issue some users were encountering with Apple Script, Afred, and crashes at startup. You can get the latest build here]

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 1! You can download it here.

This version of the app introduces support for tabs for users on the latest version of macOS. Open a new tab by selecting File > New Tab.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 3.25.21 PM.png

We've also improved the experience for user that are switching between accounts.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 3.24.47 PM.png

And, if you're a business user personal and business notes are now separated so that you only see what you need, when you need it. [Edit 1/10: if you'd like to know more about what's motivating this change, check out @Leo Gong's post on the topic here]

We're looking forwards to hearing what you think about these improvements!

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

Evernote for Mac 6.11 Release Notes

New:

• Support for Tabs on macOS 10.12. Reduce clutter and organize your windows using tabs instead of separate windows. Create a new tab by selecting File > New Tab. This is not supported on older versions of macOS.
  • Business and personal notes are now separated. You only see what you need, when you need it, making it easier to browse and search to find what you need, and create notes in the right place. Just click the user name in the toolbar, if you want to switch to another account.

In my opinion this just goes to show that separating business from personal is futile, unless there will be an option for the business account to forbid sharing of folders with anyone outside the account; this, on the other hand, would seriously counteract the usefulness of Evernote. However, this might happen since the big motivation of Evernote for separating things seems to be some big businesses who want such separation and security.

12 hours ago, Stacey said:

easier for me to share data with other Evernote users than it is to share between the two sides of my account

I have to wonder: what is the core problem that Evernote is trying to solve by separating and isolating our personal and business accounts in this fashion?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, sdolan said:

I have to wonder: what is the core problem that Evernote is trying to solve by separating and isolating our personal and business accounts in this fashion?

Satisfying the demands of some businesses that want more of a wall between personal and corporate data. I doubt many smaller businesses care, or have the clout to do this, but I suspect there are some larger enterprises that do, and with the "Business" accounts, that is who they are catering to here.

5 hours ago, EdH said:

a wall between personal and corporate data

It might help to define possible use case scenarios and then suggest alternative ways to satisfy corporate client requirements. For example, 

Ensure that no personal Evernote data can be accessed from a company-owned device or PC. This might be needed in call centres where staff are working with tightly locked-down systems that deny any software install attempts, that block all but internal web addresses, that are wiped and re-imaged each day, and so on. 

Evernote might address this requirement by ensuring that the Evernote client installed on the PC is only able to login to a specified Evernote Business account or domain and removed (or hides) Evernote client functionality that enables a login to a personal Evernote account. 

Ensure that Evernote Business and Evernote Personal are clearly and unambiguously differentiated in the Evernote UI. 

Evernote could use different icons to denote a Personal note from a Business note, ditto with notebooks and tags. Note Links to a personal note have a different colour from Note Links to a business note. Ensure that tabs clearly highlight personal notes from business notes. Enable Evernote functionality to clearly specify that they are operating on either or both personal accounts, such as is currently the case with the Mac 6.10 search panel.

Ensure that Evernote clients can only login to a Business account or a Personal account but not both. 

It may be that Evernote force us to explicitly logout of our personal account, return to the login screen, then login to our business account providing both the login id and password. This would be more restrictive (and inconvenient) than the proposed mechanism in 6.11 but satisfy the requirement that Evernote users are not able to inter-mingle business and personal information. 

Hi,

Downloaded 6.11 Beta 1. I need to keep the download icon in my Downloads folder even when I have copied it to the Dashboard. If I delete the downloads folder Evernote will not open. Plus when I click on the icon on the dashboard another icon to the right appears but goes away once I quit the program.

Very frustrating. Not sure how to search this thread for an answer.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, sgallimore said:

Downloaded 6.11 Beta 1. I need to keep the download icon in my Downloads folder even when I have copied it to the Dashboard. If I delete the downloads folder Evernote will not open. Plus when I click on the icon on the dashboard another icon to the right appears but goes away once I quit the program.

Just to be clear, you need to download the app and move it to the Applications folder

After that, the Download folder is not significant

4 hours ago, sgallimore said:

Hi,

Very frustrating. Not sure how to search this thread for an answer.

the process for installing this type of Mac app is to drag it to your Applications folder, since it is an app. you don't want to leave it in your Downloads.  this goes for any App that appears as a "icon" in your folder, rather than an installer that goes through a process and several screens. it's not just an Evernote thing. 

using the Beta for a while now, i really do not like the separation of the Personal and Business accounts. it's made its way officially to the iOS app, so I'm guessing that's just the roadmap for Desktop. but it just feels very clunky to me, and i'm trying to approach it as if i don't have knowledge of how it used to work.

moving notes from Personal to Business is just a chore, as described earlier in this thread. too many steps, rather than a simple drag and drop. 

the only reason i could see this as a good step is if we will be allowed to use SEVERAL different accounts and switch between them - but we sort of had that with the different account login in previous versions. 

i personally think the separation of Personal and Business notes in the sidebar was enough in the previous versions, allowing me to access both and freely interchange notes/files as needed.

if there's a security concern due to being able to access both Business and Personal files at the same time, then the Business should just require a separate business account that isn't linked to the person's personal Evernote. regardless, splitting up the 2 as this beta has done doesn't seem to solve any security issues anyway.

speaking of being more difficult to change accounts, the iOS version is even MORE tedious now, as sometimes i need to flip between personal and business constantly for some sort of task. it takes much longer to do this with the new version. 

please consider going back to how it was for accessing Personal vs Business. this is not better. 

For many years, macOS has featured Services which are available in virtually any application. Of particular use are the text-editing services, which allow instant conversion to lower case or title case, etc. I use them often—but I just discovered that inexplicably, they are completely absent in Evernote.

The following screenshot shows what I see when I access Services from other apps. Why on earth would macOS' built-in Services be disabled in Evernote?

Services.png

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, soundsgoodtome said:

Of particular use are the text-editing services, which allow instant conversion to lower case or title case, etc.

Is this related to the release? Perhaps start a new discussion

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.07.56 PM.pngMy services work in Evernote - I select text, then right-click

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Is this related to the release? Perhaps start a new discussion

Thats an interesting set of services
I don't have them on my Mac, but I have my own set from WordService

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.07.56 PM.pngDo you know where you installed your services from?

My services work in Evernote - I select text, then right-click

@DTLow, I installed WordService after seeing you mention it in another thread. I've noticed that there is a wide variability between apps as to which WordService services show, and also whether they appear under Services when you right click v. by selecting Services under the app name in the menu bar. For example, under Evernote>Services, no services show at all, but under right click>Services, only 3 of the 8 WordService services that I chose show up. In other apps, it's just the opposite.

I'm waiting for a long long time to get the Czech letters fixed in the presentation mode and still no fix for that so far. Just embed also a "Latin Extended" for the font you use for presentation mode titles (as you do for the body font). This feature cannot be presented to customers, looks like traditional failure with PowerPoint presentations with missing fonts :-( See the screenshot.

Vratislav

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 22.37.49.png

Hey I am having sync problems with the mac version, basically... it only syncs after initiating Evernote, but not any further changes!!

The sync button doesn't respond and the sync shortcut in the menu shows inactive (in grey)...

Any ideas??

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 12.39.18.png

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, luis.toledo said:

Hey I am having sync problems with the mac version, basically... it only syncs after initiating Evernote, but not any further changes!!

You can look at Help > Activity Log 

It might give you some information as to what's going on

On 1/22/2017 at 5:01 AM, Stacey said:

I'd almost be better off having two separate Evernote accounts and sharing the default notebook of my "personal" evernote account with my business account. 

It highlights another possible remedy to the split between personal and business - allow users to share a notebook with the business or personal side of their account, so they have a "transfer" notebook. And, maybe this can be the default notebook from the personal side of the account so that if they are working on a daily basis on the business side of their account, they can see notes that are generated during the capture process that get auto-filed in the default notebook, or sharing of notebooks between personal and business accounts.

Hi @Stacey,

On point feedback - I think it's safe to say that this is the direction we are moving towards. The reason why it's easier to share notebooks between users than between your personal & business today is because today, your personal & business notebooks belong to a single user (you), and you can't share something with yourself. It's something we're working on changing. In the mean time we have been bouncing around the idea internally of giving users a single notebook that is accessible from both business & personal (to address the issue of having a personal default notebook you rely on for business) - the tricky part is balancing a short term solution like this with the medium term solution that we're working on, which is default notebooks in business, or sharing between personal & business. Also - universal search is on the roadmap.

It's just amazing, and to be more precise, major annoying, that I am actually paying for such half-thought-out apps. Nothing is consistent across platforms, things change without warning, and both of this breaks workflows. I wish there were some clear communication first, and then a well-planned (and well-programmed) consistent switch across platforms. 

Unable to Create Local Notebook. Bug ?

I tried to create a local notebook but when I selected File>New Notebook, there was no option to create a Local v. a Synchronized notebook. Is this a bug or are we no longer going to be able to create local notebooks?

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, thhh said:

Nothing is consistent across platforms, things change without warning, and both of this breaks workflows. I wish there were some clear communication first, and then a well-planned (and well-programmed) consistent switch across platforms. 

Amen. I wish EN would cease development of ANY NEW FEATURES and fix what they have, meaning the bugs, cross platform experiences, and workflows. 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, EdH said:

Amen. I wish EN would cease development of ANY NEW FEATURES and fix what they have, meaning the bugs, cross platform experiences, and workflows. 

@Evernote ( @Chantal Leonard, @Evernote Alex), 

I totally agree with this.  And, not only fixing existing bugs, but quit creating so many material new bugs.
(Perhaps a few new bugs are inevitable, but there is no excuse for so many material, obvious bugs).

I still have issues with saving a story from a website only to have an empty entry appear. The title page is filled in, but nothing else. Forcing a sync doesn't usually remedy this situation. Waiting 10 minutes or quitting and restarting the app usually does. But it is VERY frustrating when all I want to add to the note is a date or the author's name & source.

I have moved on long before Evernote lets me edit, or for that matter, even see the new note.

Please fix this.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, davidfoster said:

I still have issues with saving a story from a website only to have an empty entry appear.

Even worse than an empty entry, it actually gives the instruction "Drag files here or start typing"
If you touch the note, you lose all previous content

I have ticket 1895717 opened for this

Hello,

I am not sure the problem is related to the particular release, but I was advised to post here. I am unable to see Notebooks list in the sidebar, switching it is impossible through right click or view menu (screenshot attached). I don't know exactly since when and I'm still thinking I must've done something really dumb to make that happen. Would appreciate some help though. 

unspecified.png

17 hours ago, lysikowski said:

Hello,

I am not sure the problem is related to the particular release, but I was advised to post here. I am unable to see Notebooks list in the sidebar, switching it is impossible through right click or view menu (screenshot attached). I don't know exactly since when and I'm still thinking I must've done something really dumb to make that happen. Would appreciate some help though.

Have you tried removing Notebooks from the sidebar and adding it back and/or adding a new notebook to see if that might somehow fix the problem? Probably a long shot, but thought I would suggest it.

Evernote Version 6.11 Beta 1 (454563 Direct)

Mac Terminal Version 2.6.1 (361.1)

In terminal, use vim to edit a shell file (extension as .sh) ,the content is

var1=textfile.txt
var2="textfile".txt
var3=testfile_"$id".txt

select all lines, copy and paste to evernote:

the result is as follows with arbitrary line breaks

var1

=textfile.txt

var2="textfile"

.txt

var3=testfile_"$id".txt

The problem may be related to the color from Terminal/Vim.

What's even more annoying is that even if I correct them by removing linebreaks in eernote, the linebreaks will show up again when I re-open evernote next time.

--  I don't need any new features. I just want to type and paste.

Em 06/01/2017 at 13:01, Stacey disse:

Now that the separation between business and personal notebooks is so clear, I wish the process for moving notes from the default notebook to the business side of your account was easier. Since I don't have the option of making a business notebook my default notebook, often in the course of a busy day, notes get generated in my default notebook (either from outside applications that will only create notes in personal notebooks, forwarding an email to Evernote, etc) and I then have to move them to business when time permits. I find this happens a lot. Every day I'm moving notes from my default notebook to the business side of my account. A lot.

As an efficiency comparison...how I used to do it prior to this release:

1. Drag/drop from my default notebook to a business notebook.
  2. Or, Command + Shift + M then type notebook name in move menu, then return to move it (never have to take my hands off the keyboard).

Both options are very efficient, intuitive, and quick.

Now:

The only way I see to do it now (please let me know of there is another way) is to use the move note command, then I have to click on a button with the mouse/trackpad to tell Evernote to access my business notebooks so I can then choose the notebook to move it to. No drag drop option, and I have to take my hands off the keyboard to click a button to then select the business notebook I want the note moved to. Much less efficient.

Remedies that would work for me and the workflows I help my Evernote Business clients with:

1. Make it possible to allow users to shortcut their default notebook on the business side of their account so they can move notes that get created there to the business side
  2. Allow for the move keyboard command to include both personal and business notebooks
  3. Be able to define your default notebook on the business side of your account

What is presented in this Beta release is going to be a huge shift in my workflows, and the workflows of my business clients. It is a huge change to efficiency to not be able to see at a glance that we have new notes that got generated in our default notebook while we are on the business side of our account. 

Back when you split the views in the Windows client I noticed the same issue (when working with clients). I'm on a Mac on a day to day basis so haven't kept up with the feedback on this from the Windows side....is it something you hear about and is there a work around that is more efficient than what I'm currently seeing in this Beta?

I also use the "inbox" concept for generating notes and then filling it later on the Business Notebook. 

Please create the option to show all notebooks when moving a note. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-28 at 5:48 AM, jim.g said:

Unable to Create Local Notebook. Bug ?

I tried to create a local notebook but when I selected File>New Notebook, there was no option to create a Local v. a Synchronized notebook. Is this a bug or are we no longer going to be able to create local notebooks?

We should have thought of this - the answer is always the option key :)

On 07/01/2017 at 6:06 AM, DTLow said:

There are open requests for this feature
An example is one tab shows "All Notes", another tab shows "Hot Notes", another tab shows "Current Tasks"

I find it more useful when the tab title says something meaningful.  
Unfortunately most of my tabs are titled "All Notes"

Like the feature

Still having problems with tables, (I'm using a lot). When I try to adjust the width of a table it works on one and a second, and not for the thied. ..
I quit EN and start EN again, and works for one and an other... than wont work for the third... I close and....

Please fix the problem with table. 

1 hour ago, vincentscar said:

Same behavior with 6.12 Beta 2.... i Have a Mac Mini Server and a MacBook Pro, whit the same problem....

The 'final' version of 6.12 is out, although I'd highly recommend the 6.12.1 beta :)

Am I dumb? When I right click on a note, and select "Open Note In New Tab" I expected to see the "note in a new tab" as the menu option suggests. 

Instead, it simply opens a new "All Notes" view. Moreover, I can't seem to open a single note in full tab mode at all, there just seems no way to do this. What's going on here?

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, flamingyawn said:

When I right click on a note, and select "Open Note In New Tab" I expected to see the "note in a new tab" as the menu option suggests. 

The tabs implementation was a combination of the new Evernote version, and Mac Sierra OS

Which software versions are you running?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, flamingyawn said:

MacOS Sierra: 10.12.6
Evernote: 6.12.2 (455489 Direct)

All I can say is that I see new note tabs.  It would be useful if they were labeled different59c3e34d62790_ScreenShot2017-09-21at09_01_29.png.37bce14769b551786f48e6b87e4ec225.pngly

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

All I can say is that I see new note tabs.  It would be useful if they were labeled different59c3e34d62790_ScreenShot2017-09-21at09_01_29.png.37bce14769b551786f48e6b87e4ec225.pngly

I think you misunderstood my first post. When you right click on an actual note, you are presented with this: image.png.6d6d93185d0f0b901fc3f6039e040303.png

Selecting "Open Note in New Tab" should open the "Note" in a new tab, not clone the current all notes view. I would expect it to behave in the same way that "Open Note in New Window" does except within a tab, not a new window. Is this not the intent of that menu item? It seems broken or non-functional to me. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, flamingyawn said:

Selecting "Open Note in New Tab" should open the "Note" in a new tab, not clone the current all notes view.

I agree.  However, you may want to post your issue in the latest EN Mac Release thread.  This thread is very old, and is about an old beta version.

See 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, flamingyawn said:

Selecting "Open Note in New Tab" should open the "Note" in a new tab, not clone the current all notes view.

You could add your vote to the request linked below.  Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion

Archived