Create New tags when using iOS web clipper

ginmn

Idea

Good day, this feature request is so users can create tags from an iPad/iPhone's Evernote "iOS web clipper".

If on an iPad/iPhone only a user's existing tags can be applied. The "no tags selected" input field does not permit keyboard entry.

iOS screen pdf attached. Also very small video link supplied.

This is greatly needed so clippings may be tagged at the time of creation. Evernote's iOS extension is missing the ability to create new customized tags for "clipped" items.

Selecting the "tag field" should allow me to type a new tag. Just when I select the "tag zone" it does not accept input, you'll get moved to your existing tag list. Some things in the existing list might be desirable, but what if a relevant tag needs to be created?

I've created a video (no download needed) which can be viewed here: 
http://bit.ly/etagios0105

For example: 
I do not have the tag "Cheese" in my current Evernote tags list. When trying to input Cheese, selecting the tag field removes the keyboard and takes me to my current list. Once at this list, there is no way to create a new "Cheese" tag.

For Reference...

The Evernote iPhone/iOS Clipper feature discussed here:
https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/01/25/clip-web-content-evernote-using-android-ios-devices/

video link:
http://bit.ly/etagios0105

Evernote_iOS_ClipperTags.pdf

• Like 2

35 replies to this idea

On 12/28/2017 at 12:16 AM, DTLow said:

I think @athena is referring to me.  I prefer to reference user-id  instead of the user-class assigned by Evernote based on # of posts

I'm guessing the reason is that Evernote is assigning development resources where there is the most user interest. 

I see the vote count is up to 7 ("all these complaints") but I think there needs to be more interest to attract Evernote's attention.  Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion

Oops. Sorry DTLow. Next time I will use the user-Id. Yes users, if you want this obvious feature, please vote for it. 

Excellent. This feature is a direct improvement to the "mobility" of Evernote and would replace the need for bookmark management applications like Pocket (www.getpocket.com). Evernote is WAY more powerful than Pocket, yet developers have crippled the usability of "tagging" web clips by not enabling custom tags on iOS devices.

Bookmark management on iOS (using Evernote) is critical for research/student needs/general personal interests.

• Like 1

DTLow thanks for the reply. I'd rather have custom on-the-fly tags and not need them then need them an not have them (current pain).

using tags is a "nodal" system of organization. if you need to work many sources, tags are far more important, especially for recalling "connected" sources later. on iOS not being able to "on-the-fly" create tags is an efficiency crime. Given the usage case above (owls), I would "on-the-fly" tag the "source" trails - owl's food - camping maybe even ornithology, just having the option means how information relates does not depend what my memory allows....

NO SQL my brain. Not everything is relational to what is in a "list". 

Additionally if "on-the-fly" tags are not important, why do we have this feature in the desktop app? What happens when you find a "plumbing fixture" that is super modern for your "best" re-modeling customer? Do you file this twice in your hierarchy of "plumbing" and.... later create the new tag "offer to bob builder" then your realize modern fixtures is a good tag... sorry can't create this on-the-fly -- if it doesn't fit the list... re-organize while pounding salt iOS users

So, is Evernote listening?  For a clipping application while adding new tags is possible when used under Windows, it is lack of insight that doing the same thing is not possible under iOS! Why? If I need to create a new tag for a topic , I can do it on my PC on the fly, but not on my iPhone or iPad, the devices I use more often to browse internet. It took years (2014) Evernote to implement web clipping on iOS devices, unfortunately  we have been waiting years to have this essential feature for these devices. For those who do not want to create new tags for the articles they want to clip, please use the existing ones, but, as it is clear from the many posts above, a lot of us need this feature desperately. Please listen.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, ginmn said:

Excellent. This feature is a direct improvement to the "mobility" of Evernote and would replace the need for bookmark management applications

I'm not sure your exact use case, but I wouldn't think adding tags on the fly would be done that often

I have a standard tag list that I've set up and organized into hierarchies.  Its not that often that I add new tags

Maybe you have a ornithology tag. Cool!

Maybe when learning about ornithology online on an iOS device, you come across a really great camping/outdoorsy website which has mostly backpacking trail info. 

while reading this website... "deep in the article" you notice it references some cool areas around lake superior to see lepus americanus, but this citation is small (one sentence).

The site really has nothing to do with ornithology, but you are forced to tag it so because the snowshoe hair is the great horned owl's food

--- don't forget evernote on iOS DOES NOT ALLOW FOR creation of custom/new tags either when using the "clipper" or in the Evernote App.

6 months from now, do you remember this site provided an opportunity for seeing owls... maybe...perhaps you re-tag "camping". :angry:

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, athena said:

For a clipping application while tagging is possible when used under Windows, it is lack of insight that tagging is not possible under iOS!

When sharing a web page to Evernote, you are presented with a list of existing notebooks/tags for assignment.

The request is for creating new tags; not a big issue for me since my notebook/tag lists are mostly static

>>it is clear from the many posts above, a lot of us need this feature desperately.

This request has 3 votes.  Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion

>>So, is Evernote listening?

I read a story about a child complaining his prayers weren't heard (a new puppy or something).  The mother explained that God hears all prayers; but sometimes the answer is No.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to add tags in the ios share dialog as is possible in the  webclippers for the various browsers.  

I also think that a tag search box should be added to share dialog similar to the one on the “add tags” dialog within ios Evernote. As a collection grows, scrolling through long lists of tags is extremely cumbersome  A search field would allow the list of tags to be narrowed to facilitate quick tag selection.  

Either it is impossibly difficult to add this feature under iOS or there is an absurd reason (like Guru thinks) not to have it for iOS devices after all these complains about the lack of it. 

Guru, by the way, according to another story I read, Jupiter (Zeus) did not listen Romans so much and ignored many of their wishes that, not only they completely gave up on him, eventually they made a religion whose god they killed, theirs and turned that into what it is now. 

And for those who do not need this feature, please do not to enter any tag on the fly for articles you want to save for whatever reasons you might have. We will be very happy by using it while thinking that some are also happy not using it.

So, Evernote’s incredibly talented and innovative coders, please listen to us and add this feature to our beloved app.  Your New Year will be a lot happier because many extra people will wish so. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, athena said:

Either it is impossibly difficult to add this feature under iOS or there is an absurd reason (like Guru thinks) not to have it for iOS devices after all these complains about the lack of it. 

I think @athena is referring to me.  I prefer to reference user-id  instead of the user-class assigned by Evernote based on # of posts

I'm guessing the reason is that Evernote is assigning development resources where there is the most user interest. 

I see the vote count is up to 7 ("all these complaints") but I think there needs to be more interest to attract Evernote's attention.  Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion

9 hours ago, RyGuy09 said:

@DTLow On the

contrary - While I tag most clippings I make “on the fly” with a few regular tags, I add new ones all of the time. As there is no “standard” way of using a tool like Evernote, the reason you see no regular need for a function, lies simply in the fact that your process does not require it. Personally, in my process, I would love this function and frankly, the UE is very clunky on iOS with such lack of function while creating a web clipping.

Yes. Thank you DTLow. People who for some funny reason or other do not mind not having on-the-fly tag creation forget that this capability do exist in the PC version (that’s the only way to have in the first place).  And, if like me, many people who cannot take a PC to bed to browse the internet, use instead a tablet such as iPad, therefore cannot create a tag for the captured article because no tag in the list can describe it and thus either leave the article un-tagged or stretch the imagination and use one in the list “closest” in meaning to it. Here is my suggestion therefore, rather than making useless suggestions like ‘I use my existing tag list always’  so I do need to create an on-the-fly tag’  (possibly meaning that they entered, say, the whole Webster Dictionary into Evernote so they always have a tag to capture the essence of the captured article), please just do not create one,  even if you can when we finally have this feature. Ok?  The exsistence of this feature will not harm your feelings. You are always free to not to use it. Please therefore be open to life enhancing ideas. 

I would like to see a statistic on use of Evernote in iOS and Windows to make sense why having this feature is even a matter of discussion. If the latter case is a lot higher,  then Evernote management may not want to spend money on it. Otherwise they should not be surprised if a lot of people suddenly switch to a similar app with this feature.

On 1/25/2017 at 11:55 AM, DTLow said:

I'm not sure your exact use case, but I wouldn't think adding tags on the fly would be done that often

I have a standard tag list that I've set up and organized into hierarchies.  Its not that often that I add new tags

Tags on the fly are vital. Now I’m noting that the tag list doesn’t even come up. So when I go back to laptop, I have to remember to add tags. Pocket allows a MUCH easier search of tags.

But now, even worse, using web clipper on iOS, say from Washington Post to which I subscribe, it only imports the first few lines of article even though I’m clipping from paid subscription. It’s essentially only saving a bookmark. I then have to go back on my laptop and retrieve the article.

And btw, using the metric that “it must not be a problem if not that many people are here complaining about it” is absurd. I’d estimate that <5% of a software user population even knows how to use a discussion forum, much less have the patience for it. Most simply say “ain’t working - bye.” It’s taken me nearly an hour just to try to find an answer to my two issues. And the sense I get from the forum is that EN people aren’t listening.

And I’m no stranger to databases, saving stuff. I’m thinking that my ideal solution as an info storer and recall resource would be some combination Pocket and EN, with ability to cross ref articles and to immediately make comments on the saved material, as that’s where the real value for me is. 

I suspect there’s a huge gap between IT - information technology - and information science, i.e. the way various subgroups of people acquire information and transform it into usable knowledge.

• Like 1

Yes Evernote!

Get your team together to make this feature a reality. We need the ability to create new tags on the fly. Please also allow us to type existing tags instead of using the cumbersome slider. 

The tagging feature is such a crucial part of many persons workflow and being unable to create new tags creates an impediment to that. 

Does anyone here clip examples of societal pathologies? IE stories and data to document the extent of current societal problems in the Civilised West? If so, you will indeed need to create tags on the fly—I have a notebook overflowing with such horrific info. So many and various are these pathologies that tagging with just ‘pathology’ is no good. I need to tag each story with a particular descriptive type of pathology or common misfortune. So I can sort out what I have into sets and sub-sets for future analysis. In no particular order, I have tags labelled drugs pathology, anxiety pathology, body image pathology, eating pathology, poverty pathology, ideology pathology, politics pathology, PR pathology and so on. And so on. And so on... It is REALLY annoying that when on iPad I have to car park so many clips, for subsequent tagging once I am back on my laptop. It causes me to get irritated with Evernote and wish a genie would come down and whisk my notes into a less clunky sensible app, one that understands what researchers do. And yes, by the way, I also collect examples of what I call “remedies”—remedies that brave people are innovating, often with not much support from the rest of us, and/or remedies that  I rescue from the oblivion of history, or perhaps from cultures that are far distant. For example, as a remedy for our current “leadership pathology” I would recommend you read Victor Turner about how the Ndembu of West Africa initiate their new leaders and get them to clean up their act, working for the whole tribe now, not themselves. So... yes please. Tags on the fly, it’s so obvious the need for any social, political or historical researcher!

On 1/25/2017 at 9:55 AM, DTLow said:

@DTLow On the

contrary - While I tag most clippings I make “on the fly” with a few regular tags, I add new ones all of the time. As there is no “standard” way of using a tool like Evernote, the reason you see no regular need for a function, lies simply in the fact that your process does not require it. Personally, in my process, I would love this function and frankly, the UE is very clunky on iOS with such lack of function while creating a web clipping.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, athena said:

I would like to see a statistic on use of Evernote in iOS and Windows to make sense why having this feature is even a matter of discussion.

You're posting in a discussion forum, and the discussion section of a feature request.

As to statistics, you can check the vote count at the top left corner of the discussion; we're up to 16.  Please add your vote.

>>The exsistence of this feature will not harm your feelings. You are always free to not to use it. Please therefore be open to life enhancing ideas. 

It's not a feature I need, but I'm open to all features, especially "life enhancing ideas".  
I'm also open to all discussion; both pro and con.

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You're posting in a discussion forum.

As to statistics, you can check the vote count at the top left corner of the discussion.  Please add your vote; we're up to 16

DTLow I started this discussion and therefore voted long time ago. The statistic I want to know is to see why Evernote is not paying attention to a feature so obvious to have. If the clipper is mostly used in laptops and PCs where you do have on-the-fly feature, then one might understand the management’s decision on not to waste money on a feature not many people use anyhow.  Otherwise 16 people asking for it in thousands do not mean much does it? But maybe drop by drop we will create a lake to flood Evernote headquarters. 

Saving websites to Evernote must not be a very common action.

Unfortunately, I assumed the title was easy to understand. I now think many people probably do not use the clipper or care to put in the “work” of assigning tags.

The purpose of Evernote was to convert “paper” into one’s “digital diary”. This feature request is asking Evernote to help archive already digital stuff.

I always looked at Evernote as the organizer’s organizer. It is a supreme saving & recalling solution. Tags just seemed like the best way to have more content engagement and better recall.... no SQL idea. The fastest way to do this seems like iOS, but oh well...

title should have been a faster better way to organize web content...

Yes. now,  the tag list and the selection of notebooks do not show up under iOS Web clipper. We asked for having the on-the-fly tagging capability, lost all! 

Some clipped articles are displayed all black in the Evernote PC, some include not just the clipped article but everything else on the page including sidebars, ads etc. even clipping from a subscribed website like NYT. Now, selection of notebook and tags are disappeared from Web Clipper on iPad. Is this progress?

Great question! I am also wondering why Evernote doesn't allow the creation of new tags as you mark a webpage. I'm new to Evernote, and just found out about  this lack of flexibility and I must say  that I'm disappointed... Pocket does it and it's a free app! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I use a workflow to clip under iOS, or I convert the web page into a pdf before saving.

With the workflow I can’t tag. But it will automatically open the new note at the end, where I can make adjustments like adding tags.

To get the free workflow, go to the Workflow App and search for „Share Article to Evernote“

Using the pdf creation method, I can tag while saving to EN:

6CADB511-6DB1-4BA0-8D8B-79E5D0BCDFFA.thumb.jpeg.deaab7d480b922e50f7fbebf319ef4e7.jpeg