Gotham Bold displays blank - many of my notes now messed up

Dr Glenn

Today, 5 january 2017, I suddenly see that a number of my notes have been reformatted. Each paragraph now has many leading spaces, where formerly there were none. The first few words appear to be deleted. 

Looking further, I find that apparently I was using Gotham with Bold in each of those empty spaces. If I select the blank space and change the font - or remove the bold - then the invisible text reappears.

Mind you I never chose Gotham, it was just the default that was given to me when I created these notes!

Here is an example:

Power Manager for Windows 10: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/Power-Manager-for-Windows-10/td-p/2113645/page/10

What you see above is copy/paste from my note. But in my note the text Power Manager is blank! Gotham is not an available font when posting here, that's why you see the words.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote doesn't reformat notes.  It's possible that your system has a problem related to that font,  or if you had a recent update in Windows that it was deleted in the system change.  If you have been using the web version of Evernote,  there are no font choices other than what's in the browser - did you change browser,  or update that recently?

Unless you can find out what changed that font I'm afraid the only fix is likely to be to change the font in each note to one that your system can support.  Unfortunately changing the desktop default font (in Tools > Options > Note) will only change new notes,  not existing ones.  It's still worth doing though,  if this is the version you're using.  I use Tahoma - a generic Windows font.

We're a user forum - if you want to get feedback from Evernote you need to contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter

Thanks for your reply. It spurred me on to a bit more investigation.

I have never used Evernote desktop - what's the point, the web version has worked fine for me for many years. I have just discovered that the problem is exclusive to Chrome. When I view the same "defective" note in IE11 or Firefox, the Gotham Bold text is visible!

Yesterday I only had a basic account, so I couldn't contact support. I did have a paid account but it expired a few days ago, and I couldn't figure out what it was good for. Now I am back on paid because basic limited me to two devices (a policy change that they evidently made during the last year). But there's no need for me to contact Evernote support, since it's clearly not their problem.

6 minutes ago, Dr Glenn said:

Thanks for your reply. It spurred me on to a bit more investigation.

I have never used Evernote desktop - what's the point, the web version has worked fine for me for many years. I have just discovered that the problem is exclusive to Chrome. When I view the same "defective" note in IE11 or Firefox, the Gotham Bold text is visible!

Yesterday I only had a basic account, so I couldn't contact support. I did have a paid account but it expired a few days ago, and I couldn't figure out what it was good for. Now I am back on paid because basic limited me to two devices (a policy change that they evidently made during the last year). But there's no need for me to contact Evernote support, since it's clearly not their problem.

Looks like it's a problem on Chrome's end. You should try contacting them.

• 1 month later...

Well, the problem disappeared within a few days after my OP. Today it has returned. Yes, it is only a Chrome problem. But Evernote on Windows 7 apparently chooses Gotham as the default font. So although the font rendering is a Chrome problem, the font default is an Evernote issue. 

I wonder if I'll have any luck contacting Evernote support - will try now.

• Level 5
On 2/24/2017 at 2:00 PM, Dr Glenn said:

Well, the problem disappeared within a few days after my OP. Today it has returned. Yes, it is only a Chrome problem. But Evernote on Windows 7 apparently chooses Gotham as the default font. So although the font rendering is a Chrome problem, the font default is an Evernote issue. 

I wonder if I'll have any luck contacting Evernote support - will try now.

Don't know whether you got this sorted already, but in the Windows program, under Tools > Options > Note, there is a setting for the default note font. If yours is set to Gotham Bold, you can change it to something more functional.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Don't know whether you got this sorted already, but in the Windows program, under Tools > Options > Note, there is a setting for the default note font. If yours is set to Gotham Bold, you can change it to something more functional.

I haven't gotten it sorted out. I don't use Evernote Windows desktop program, I only use Evernote in web browser or Android app, so I have not been able to find a way to change the default font. 

• Level 5

OK, I got confused when you said "Evernote on Windows 7." I just checked, and I also see Gotham as the default font in the browser (I use Opera). So it does seem to be a setting within Evernote's browser version specifically. Hard to say why, though! Sorry I can't be of help.

Archived