Worrying sync failure/note overwriting behaviour

patnpm

Idea

I have a few notes that I regularly update with things like my weight and which runs I have been on.

I have recently seen that some of my edits seem to have been lost and on further investigation this appears to be edits made on my iPhone. I can change these notes on the iPad, on the web and on my MacBook and everything gets synced up fine. However on the iPhone this note will not update and any changes I make to it overwrite any previous edits made on the other platforms. So I get the old version with the iPhone edits but have lost all the other edits.

This is not a major problem for these notes as I can look up their histories on the web and re-download edits. However I now have an uneasy feeling that any changes I make on my iPhone may delete other changes. Is this a recognised bug? My confidence in the robustness of notes taken on the iphone is shaken.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, patnpm said:

I can change these notes on the iPad, on the web and on my MacBook and everything gets synced up fine. However on the iPhone this note will not update and any changes I make to it overwrite any previous edits made on the other platforms. So I get the old version with the iPhone edits but have lost all the other edits.

Just to be clear, are these iPhone updates done

1. without an internet connection, to offline notes with syncing up to date (note is in an Offline Notebook) 
  2. without an internet connection, to cached notes, with syncing up to date
  3. with an internet connection

I've no idea. I can't remember whether I had an internet connection when I updated these notes. Although I do have all my notebooks marked as for offline use, so they could well have been offline.  Actually on the phone they are almost never offline, as I have 4G when I'm not connected to wifi.

To emphasise, I wasn'tgetting a 'note conflict' creation. I could cope with and understand that. It was just replacing the previously edited note.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, patnpm said:

sorry, should clarify- all notebooks are syncing

But you also said "However on the iPhone this note will not update" and you're getting previous versions

I would check for syncing problems on the iPhone.

Do you have Background App Refresh enabled?

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, patnpm said:

sorry, should clarify- all notebooks are syncing

But you also said "However on the iPhone this note will not update" and you're getting previous versions

I would check for syncing problems on the iPhone.

Do you have background sync enabled?

This is happening to me too on the latest iOS release. Support mentioned this is a known bug that they are going after. Really worrisome as I feel i might lose some data and not realize till it's too late.

Archived