Complete & Incomplete Reminders Search

grberk

I have some searches saved in my Evernote that work to show complete and incomplete reminders across all of my Notes. The formatting is as shown here:

Completed Reminders
reminderDoneTime:20100101 reminderOrder:20100101

Incomplete Reminders
-reminderDoneTime:20100101 reminderOrder:20100101

These searches work just fine in the Windows Evernote desktop client, but in the web client, the Incompleted Reminders search doesn't show me anything. This search also doesn't work on my iOS client on my phone, either. The Complete Reminders search works fine everywhere. I looked at some other postings and links online, and found others that used these as the search parameters:

(New) Completed Reminders
reminderDoneTime:00011231 reminderOrder:00011231

(New) Incomplete Reminders
-reminderDoneTime:00011231 reminderOrder:00011231

As is with my existing saved searches, the (New) Completed Reminders show up fine, but the (New) Incomplete Reminders shows me nothing in the web or iOS client, but works fine in Windows.

Is there a better search parameter for completed reminders that I can use that will work everywhere?

Update: I got this to work in the web and iOS client by changing the Incomplete Reminders search syntax to:
reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*

This syntax has me befuddled, but if it works, I won't complain.

• Level 5*

Syntax for reminder search terms from the Evernote Search Grammar:

reminderOrder:[integer] - matches notes that have been marked as a reminder. The actual integer attribute value is used to order reminders relative to one another and is generally not useful in search. E.g.:

• reminderOrder:*
    • Matches all notes that have been marked as a reminder

reminderTime:[datetime] - matches notes with a reminderTime attribute that is equal to or later than the argument datetime. reminderTime is the time at which the user has requested a reminder about the note. E.g.:

• reminderTime:day
    • Matches all notes with a reminder set for today or later
  • reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+7
    • Matches all notes with a reminder set for the next 7 days

reminderDoneTime:[datetime] - matches notes with a reminderDoneTime attribute that is equal to or later than the argument datetime. reminderDoneTime is the time at which the user dismissed the reminder. E.g.:

• reminderDoneTime:day
    • Matches all notes with a reminder done time of today
  • reminderDoneTime:day-7
    • Matches all notes with a reminder done time in the past week

The search reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*  is equivalent to "find notes that have reminders that have not been marked as complete"

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, grberk said:

I just want to know why some search syntax works in Windows, but not in the other clients. That's odd.

Do you have examples?

If it's the above reminderOrder:20100101

Are you sure that actually works?

I don't know why or how I came up with that syntax. I'm pretty sure I used it based on the advice of someone in another post in these forums a couple years ago. I would be happy to use something else if it would be a better solution.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, grberk said:

I would be happy to use something else if it would be a better solution.

As @Jefito posted, reminderOrder is not a field you would search for a specific value

My search for reminders as of current date would be

Completed Reminders   reminderDoneTime:day  (you can code a specific date in the form yyyymmdd)

Incomplete Reminders   reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, grberk said:

I just want to know why some search syntax works in Windows, but not in the other clients. That's odd.

I have some reminder searches saved in the shortcut bar, and they all seem to work on all platforms, Windows, Web, and IOS for me.  However, the  -reminderDoneTime:00011231 reminderOrder:00011231 search works on Windows but not the web.

So I tried a little test using the day parameter expecting to just get a list of reminders not completed.

• -reminderdonetime:day-985 reminderorder:day-80000 WORKS
  • -reminderdonetime:day-986 reminderorder:day-80000 DOES NOT WORK (no notes returned)

Different result sets web to Windows.  Don't know what that means, other than it does not appear to makes any sense and use the * whenever possible.  :wacko:

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I have no notes with reminder order = 20100101, yet the search returns over 100 notes

I believe the search results represent notes where the reminder was added 20100101 and later. 

I've just always used the *, never a date parameter for reminderorder.  Interesting thing to learn, thanks @grberk

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I believe the search results represent notes where the reminder was added 20100101 and later. 

I've just always used the *, never a date parameter for reminderorder.

Looking at my database, for each reminder it looks like the date value was moved to reminderOrder as a default

Still, I would not search this field for specific values

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Looking at my database, for each reminder it looks like the date value was moved to reminderOrder

Still, I would not search this field for specific values

Horses for courses.  But if one ever wanted to know how many reminders were created in a given time frame one could, outside of any deleted or cleared in the process.

Archived