Duplicate Windows 10 Start Up Icons

Hi, I have duplicate icons showing in the start up app list (see the screen shot) and also in the recently used app list (currently two) - I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote (and checked only one copy installed) and using settings / apps (only one icon shows in that list) etc. all to no avail.  Can't see any other description of this exact problem (different to the query about duplicate icons in the task bar).  Any ideas gratefully revieved as its a small but annoying problem!

2017-01-02.png

2017-01-02.png

Hi, the strange thing is pinning / unpinning doesn't make any difference they remain in the list even if restarted.  I have also tried deleting the Evernote app but the icons remained there even then (again after a restart).  I have considered rebuilding the start list but am loathed to go to all the effort unless I can understand why Evernote is duplicating the icons in the first place (not happened to any other apps).

• Level 5*

Weird.  I'm pleased to say I officially have only one icon for Evernote and no signs of random duplications appearing.  I just realised that I'm suggesting dumb things regarding that menu though - that list of icons is the Win 10 equivalent of an 'All Programs' list - you can't remove items from it without uninstalling the app. 

However... as a possible work-around,  the little 'burger' menu at top right left of the list will switch the whole list on and off if you can manage without any of the icons.  You'll still have anything you pinned to the Start menu in full view,  but the left hand column will be blank apart from the basic four icons at the bottom.  If you need to start an app that you haven't previously pinned to the start menu,  just hit the Win key and type 'Ever...' by which time you should have the app name ready to click and start.

You could try one further step to repel the attack of the clones...  try uninstalling Evernote using Revo Uninstaller -  sync your device first,  and copy the entire Databases folder (Tools > Options > General for the location) to your desktop.  Then File > Exit Evernote and start Revo.  Find the Evernote icon in the Revo window and uninstall.  Restart and reinstall and...  I don't know.  Maybe they'll be gone...:mellow:

Revo will take down any and all random Registry entries that may have been set up with previous installs that maybe aren't being removed with a simple Windows uninstall.

ScreenClip[11].jpg

Hi gazumped, thanks for advice. Used Revo which cleared away a lot of gunk (amazing how much the so called "unistaller" leaves behind) but unfortunately didn't solve the clone issue - however a bit more research then led me to this great advice https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/organize-remove-all-apps-windows-10-start-menu/ and problem now solved, at least for now (weirdly one shortcut saved in start up menu seemed responsible for all 5 icons?!)

Archived