Dr.Robert

Can't scroll note list

It is strange problem. There is a scroll bar on the note list - the list of note titles. 

When I scroll up or down, using the bar on the right, the movable box jumps back to where I was, not necessarily even the section of the list with the currently open note.  

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Hi.  Is it important to see the entry in the left panel that corresponds to the open note?  The note panel itself shows which notebook the item is in,  and you can drag from the List or Snippet view onto a(nother) notebook name to move it,  or use the notebook drop down or the "i"nfo icon for the same thing.

If you scroll down on the left panel and select an item - a notebook or a tag - the window will 'hang' at that point showing your selection.  If you scroll down without making another selection,  it jumps back to the top,  as you say.  I hadn't particularly thought about this behaviour - it hasn't caused me any concerns...

I arrange my notes by date Updated. What I am mostly trying to do is scroll back to the top after I have worked on a note that is older and somewhere down the pile.

I am unable to scroll back up.

Something I did not mention, because it added unclarity, was if I have the top entry open, and drag the scroll bar down, it doesn't jump back to the top, it jumps back up to some random place in the middle of all my note list.

The problem  only happens when I am in the list that includes all my notebooks. If I go to a sub note list, then it scrolls correctly.     

Ah.  Apologies - I thought you were having problems with the noteBOOK list.  I obviously read your initial post too quickly. 

I have something around 22K notes,  and if I scroll down the note list using the cursor in the list window,  the scroll will 'lock' wherever I leave it.  I can also scroll back up using the mouse scroll wheel,  the arrow keys,  and by clicking / dragging the cursor in the display.  Usually if I'm editing an older note and want back up to the top of my list (sorted by Created Date) I hit Ctrl+Home which jumps there immediately.  If this issue is a problem you might consider uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote to see if the issue goes away (it's reasonably quick and  won't affect your notes,  but copy the databases folder to your desktop just to be sure...).

If you are working on one note and want to refer elsewhere for information,  it's also possible to open the note in its own window so it's 'pegged' to the desktop while you consult other media...

13 hours ago, Dr.Robert said:

I arrange my notes by date Updated. What I am mostly trying to do is scroll back to the top after I have worked on a note that is older and somewhere down the pile.

I am unable to scroll back up.

Something I did not mention, because it added unclarity, was if I have the top entry open, and drag the scroll bar down, it doesn't jump back to the top, it jumps back up to some random place in the middle of all my note list.

The problem  only happens when I am in the list that includes all my notebooks. If I go to a sub note list, then it scrolls correctly.     

As far as I can tell note list scrolling in the current version of EN has a lag in it.  If you drag the slider to the top of the list, it will "slide back down" some.  If you want to get to the top note try hitting the Home button when your context is in the note list.

• Like 1

Thank you for that csihilling! You have re-upped your Guru status.

Good workaround at least for what seems to be a bug. Still doesn't allow me to scroll within the list, but I rarely need to do that.  

• Like 1

This happens to me on Windows 10 also. EN 6.5.1.3988. Doesn't happen on my Windows 7 version (same release).

As far as the work-around - yes I agree that using the home (or Ctrl-Home) key will work, but that means that navigation requires both the mouse and the keyboard in one form or another.

For me this behaviour happens within bulleted lists but I'm guessing it happens to others with text, etc.

One feature I could recommend is that Evernote support the right-click in the scrollbar (similar to Windows apps) that gives a choice of navigations (Scroll Here, Top, Bottom, Page Up/Down). Makes a purely mouse-based navigation very nice.

Started happening to me in Windows 7 (EN 6.5.3.4452) also.

It has been described as a "lag" but that's not what's happening, at least not the cause of this behavior. Otherwise the Ctrl-Home would "lag" also.

Is the lack of support from Evernote a sick way to force everyone onto another product? (OneNote?) Very tricky but won't work for those who would much rather not feed the Microsoft beast.

54 minutes ago, ripwit said:

Started happening to me in Windows 7 (EN 6.5.3.4452) also.

It has been described as a "lag" but that's not what's happening, at least not the cause of this behavior. Otherwise the Ctrl-Home would "lag" also.

Is the lack of support from Evernote a sick way to force everyone onto another product? (OneNote?) Very tricky but won't work for those who would much rather not feed the Microsoft beast.

Hi.  Have you actually requested support from Evernote?  

We're a (mainly) user-supported forum here,  not the company helpline so comments here won't usually generate any immediate action,  though developers might be watching for future feature ideas,  and new product launch threads are watched for bug reports.  

If your recent experience followed an update,  then that might be the place to raise the issue.  

Meantime contact support directly if you're a paying customer, or go via Twitter if not.

-And no,  Evernote don't have any interest in actively generating customers for OneNote that I'm aware of...

Thanks, gazumped.

You and I and Evernote know that google searches are how most users find out about problems and solutions. This forum (under the "discussion.evernote.com" domain) is what usually comes up matching user experiences, etc. If Evernote is not monitoring this very closely they know they are losing marketing points with the various complaints. Why isn't the official Evernote support ticket list available easily?

I will take your advice and send some of my recent observations in via the "contact support directly" link. I think all of mine have been items that have been noted by others for many months; if the support system was working, there would have been some corrections to these, mainly minor, problems.

• Like 1

I filed a ticket with Evernote and had a few replies. Mainly about re-installing EN and/or reverting to a non-beta version.

I've done both and seem to have the same problems. The Notes list will not scroll to the top by dragging the slider all the way up, and the notes entry forms tend to lose the last line of text (displayed).

I was also told that EN actually monitors this discussion group altho others have mentioned that we shouldn't complain here since it is not monitored.

There's something wrong with the communications model between EN and its (somewhat) power users. I payed my premium. Do I need to get an enterprise account? (I'm a solo user.)

1 hour ago, ripwit said:

There's something wrong with the communications model between EN and its (somewhat) power users. I payed my premium. Do I need to get an enterprise account? (I'm a solo user.)

There are some very good corporate reasons for not keeping in too close a touch with your users - not least of which are:  it ties up a lot of resources,  and you can't satisfy everyone,  no matter what the company says or does.  So why not just get on with the work you planned to do anyway?  A lot more gets achieved that way.  (And if I worked for Evernote,  I wouldn't voluntarily want the customer contact job with us bolshie users...)

It's good that individual Evernote employees do lean in from time to time,  but you'll notice it's mainly on new update and payment issues - and the contributors get way more than their fair share of abuse for the privilege anyway, so full marks to them for keeping at it.

I'd see the differences between the forum and support accesses as being - with the forum you can express your views (within fairly wide limits) and attract varying degrees of suggestions,  support and derision.  Evernote will watch the exchanges and get some ideas about directions in which they need to develop features.  They fairly rarely comment however,  and don't (usually) talk about work in progress or release dates.  Certainly don't expect a quick response unless there's a lot of reports of the same issue - maybe not even then.

Paying users also have the option to submit support requests which will get a personal response,  even if it's "I referred this to our developers.  We will fix the problem but I don't have a time scale as yet".  It's far from instant,  but you will get the personal response within a reasonable working time.

If by Enterprise account,  you mean Evernote Business,  I'd really suggest you don't bother.  As a solo user you don't need any of the corporate bells and whistles,  and it is more complicated to administer than a premium account.  Plus you would have essentially the same support access as a premium user anyway.

Personally I tend not to agonise too much about the real or perceived drawbacks of the software tools I use.  If I can work around them I'll continue using an app. If I really can't live with the compromises I'll go somewhere else,  because I know that changing features in any effective way requires definition,  coding,  testing,  a release schedule..  effectively a year or so's work,  unless the engineers had already started working on it...

With Evernote I'm still here....

A good pragmatic view, gazumped. You appear to have several years of dealing with technology and customer interactions under your belt. I only started about 50 years ago.

Signing off.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gazumped said:

There are some very good corporate reasons for not keeping in too close a touch with your users - not least of which are:  it ties up a lot of resources,  and you can't satisfy everyone,  no matter what the company says or does.  So why not just get on with the work you planned to do anyway?  A lot more gets achieved that way.  (And if I worked for Evernote,  I wouldn't voluntarily want the customer contact job with us bolshie users...)

Slippery slope here Gaz.  My opinion,the best companies have remarkable relationships with their customers.  How they balance that contact with the potential black hole of customer support as their product/service matures is key.  Particularly on the maintenance side, making sure things work as advertised.  

This is a hole in the EN fabric today and the past that needs addressing, I'm afraid.  And I am a strong EN supporter and user.  Which makes it all the more frustrating.   :(

• Like 1

Fair point I guess - there's lots of areas where You Know Who fall very flat - keeping customers updated on what's about to happen,  and doing so clearly,  consistently and coherently;  updating software with limited or missing change logs - and suddenly missing features that a lot of users liked and used rather a lot;  and not having an ongoing PR effort that at least let's everyone understand what the CEO (and the rest of the herd) are actually thinking... but hey,  apart from all of that...

(Oh yeah - and an attitude to passive-agressive marketing that sometimes makes the Sharknado series look like a reality show...:huh:)

OK I agree: in many respects they're rubbish.  I was shooting from the hip on the issue of employees being in the forums and dealing with individual issues - but maybe this is another of those discussions I should just walk away from quietly...  <_<

• Like 1

You hit it on the head, plenty of room for improvement for sure.  I might add missing a zero tolerance for bugs to the list.  

For all that still a good product......it could just be so much better.   Too many shiny objects I suppose.

Dont walk away, keep trucking.  

• Like 1

Sorry again - that words thingy again..  didn't mean going dark on anyone,  just not pushing my original point any further.  :P

• Like 1

Hey, all good!   Amber beverage time?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I haven't heard boo on this for 4 months. Guess it's not important to be able to use that little scroll bar. Why not take it off and save 10 pixels of screen space?

16 hours ago, ripwit said:

I haven't heard boo on this for 4 months. Guess it's not important to be able to use that little scroll bar. Why not take it off and save 10 pixels of screen space?

It has been quiet,  but Evernote never (usually) talk about their in-development stuff anyway - nor do they explain why some features are preferred or others rejected.  I'd guess this hasn't been a big issue for users generally,  so it's not been actioned yet. 

I don't scroll around much - Ctrl Home will (sometimes) get me to the top of the list,  or it's easy enough to search for a specific note,  and the 'recent searches' list means I can jump back to it whenever I need to.  I also have a saved search called TOP which looks for the first note in my note list so I can jump there any time...

If the lack of this feature is an issue,  you could raise it in the feedback forum to collect some votes and maybe raise its profile...?

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

If the lack of this feature is an issue, 

I don't know Gaz., not sure that the scroll bar taking you to where you want to go is necessarily a feature....  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Still silence on this issue.

I'm not clear how other people arrange their notebooks so maybe this isn't a big deal for most.

I have over 5,000 notes in various notebooks but I tend to search by tags or the general search box.After I get what I'm looking for I click on the "Notebooks" folder so generally all 5,000 notes will be in the scrolling note list with the most recently visited one high-lit. This is frequently way down the list at, say #2,000.

Since I'm on the mouse to click on the "Notebooks" button, I'd really like a way to get to the top of the list in sorted order (usually "Updated" reverse chronological.) There doesn't seem to be any easy way to use the mouse to get to the top of the list.

EverNote still exhibits that bounce-back-to-somewhere behavior when I try to drag the scrollbar up to the top. 

As Far As I Know, there is no other windowing program on any major operating system that has problems positioning a list using the scrollbar. I don't know if Qt or something else is underlying EverNote but I do know Qt works perfectly in other systems.

I guess I should give thanks to the EN team for all their hard work on tables, but frankly I'll use Google Sheets, Excel, Word tables, Airtable, etc. if I have real tabular data that I need to process.

2 hours ago, ripwit said:

Still silence on this issue.

Its not an unexpected silence - Evernote don't (usually) comment on feature requests.

I have 40,000 notes and about the only scroll issue I have is the difficulty of bouncing up to the top of my note list - which is sorted in Creation Date order - so I can see my latest notes.  All other notes get found by searches,  and I generally refine searches until the hits fill only one screen so visual inspection is enough to pinpoint the final step.

I solved the top of the list issue as I described already - a favorite saved search set up to jump to the top note.

Edit:  and see

First of all, I don't view this as a "Feature Request". It is a bug - pure and simple.

I like your creativity making a TOP saved search. Bug workarounds are always fascinating.

An earlier poster mentioned using the scroller to move up and down a list until s/he saw the article displayed. Letting go of the scroller at that point will also cause the list to jump to its own drummer.

You've worked around issues with EN. New users don't have the age and wisdom or patience to do the same. As you said many times, EN doesn't comment on items in this orphan blog. It's a pity they don't care.

Not commenting doesn't mean not caring - on the few occasions individuals have posted here they've usually been leapt on for 'too little too late' / the wrong feature / demands to confirm one or other detail is included in a new feature...  Evernote know from experience that whatever they say won't satisfy everyone,  so it's actually better to say nothing.  And it means they can concentrate on getting bugs fixed and features out instead of responding to posts.

• Like 1

I use MediaMonkey for my music library.  I have more songs than my current note count of 34k.  With all songs displayed I can drag the scroll bar from top to bottom and it stays at the bottom.  Just saying.

This is one of the things that puzzles me with EN development practices.  Just flat out apparently straightforward bugs don't get fixed.  Admittedly it doesn't affect me that often since searches do most of the heavy lifting for finding things, and Home and End work well enough to get to top or bottom.  But still, why leave something like this in play.  All it does is sew distrust relative to what else may not work the way it is supposed to work.  

If one number on the page is wrong, .....  <end mini-rant>