Upgrade Button keeps reappearing *solved*

Hi,

I have an paid plus account and have no interest in the premium account, so I want to permanently remove the Upgrade-Button from the sidebar.

I removed the Upgrade-Button from the sidebar a few times, but it reapears after a few minutes.
After googling I found that this had been an issue before in 2015
topic 1 topic 2
The solution there was to update to the latest version.
But since I have the latest version, I don't see any other way.

What could I do, to permanently remove the Upgrade Button from the sidebar?
Thank you so much

Image 1.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  Don't know if there is a way to remove it forever - can you give us a screen shot of how and where it appears?  - Fuzz out any notebooks names or personal information,  or collapse the headings as below.  I'm one of those nasty Premium users so it doesn't show in mine. Your best defence may be F10 which switches the left panel on and off (see the View menu) unless another Plus user here has a better option...

ScreenClip [3].png

• Level 5*

Ah.  That sidebar..    Have you tried File > Exiting the app and then reopening it?  That sometimes 'fixes' changes,  but as I said I have no experience with this issue - don't even have an 'upgrade' option in my Customize menu! (Sorry -_-)

If another Plus user can't come up with a suggestion you could try to contact support directly,  or message them on Twitter - though I'm afraid their answer might just be 'that's an intended feature,  not a bug....'

It is designed to come back (marketing made me do it!). But it shouldn't come back that quickly. (I think it's 90 days or something like that). Can you try adding (or changing the order) of your toolbar? I'm wondering if a customized toolbar will "fix" it. (Upgrade is special, so removing it and doing nothing else means you're still using a default non-custom toolbar)

Hi,

thank you for your suggestion and insight.
I tried that and also made a gif

http://imgur.com/i8SuTGX
(unfortunately I was only able to upload it here once, deleted that test-post but couldn't upload it again. If someone can show me how to insert gif in the forum directly, via upload or inserting a direct link, I'd appreciate it a lot :) )

But even changing the order made it reappear. 

I found out though, that syncing triggers the upgrade button to re-appear.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2017 at 8:19 AM, Tom Taste said:

And this is a known issue that should be resolved in the next update!

OMG, thank you for this! I thought I was going crazy because it kept reappearing. I just renewed my subscription and downgraded from Premium to Plus and I was thinking SERIOUSLY?! I am paying and still being asked to upgrade? I moved the button to the dead zone of my toolbar until it gets fixed so it's a little less annoying. 

And because I never got directly involved with any of the price increase threads I'm gonna make my one comment on the issue which is that yeah, EN, I woulda stayed with Premium if you hadn't raised the price so much so now you get to make LESS money from me than you otherwise would have. I absolutely adore you but you still have some quirks in your functionality and in the time since the price increase I have not seen that much improvement in your basic functionality or useful features added to you to justify the $25 Premium price increase. You and I are friends. I can be mad at you, but still love you and I decided it's okay to be conflicted about those feelings. Maybe some day we will break up and go our separate ways but for now, we remain friends.

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2017 at 8:19 AM, Tom Taste said:

I talked with support.

And this is a known issue that should be resolved in the next update!

Thank you all for your support,
best Tom

Just installed the most recent version 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public and this is still an issue...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, freyja313 said:

Just installed the most recent version 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public and this is still an issue...

Hi.  I'd suggest you contact support directly if you're a paying subscriber at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

You could also raise this in the release thread for 6.5.4 -

I also upgraded to 6.5.4 and this is issue is not resolved. This is really bad marketing, Evernote.

Update: Spoke with Evernote on Twitter and this was their reply:

"This is an issue that we have had some users reporting in the past. Our product team is aware that this issue is persistent, and is working to get this resolved as soon as possible. I apologize for the frustration caused by this. Although I don't have an ETA of when it will be resolved, I can assure you we're working diligently to fix it!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Eric Orsbon said:

Why is this marked as *SOLVED*? I don't see a solution here unless I am missing something.

Unknown.  The OP is the only person I know who could alter the title,  though I assume an Admin might be able to do so.

4 hours ago, Eric Orsbon said:

Why is this marked as *SOLVED*? I don't see a solution here unless I am missing something.

I just changed the title. 

I let the *solved* there because, in my thinking, all that could be done from the user end, was done and the topic had the latest information. 

The "solution" is to wait for an update.

Thanks for pointing out that it can be understood differently and indeed, the issue itself hasn't been solved yet.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Eric Orsbon said:

I just updated to the new version, but I still have the issue. 

That 'next update' was mentioned in January and there have been a couple since then..  have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote?  If this is still an issue for you I'd suggest you reach out to Support directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

On 08/08/2017 at 0:51 PM, gazumped said:

Dude, but you cannot go to support.

Email is not available for Plus users, and chat is offline. The only support you can get is Community.

So, THIS PROBLEM IS SUPER ANNOYING! It's so annoying that instead of working, I'm googling how to solve it.

There was a giff about reshuffling buttons in the toolbar, sadly doesn't help for the latest Windows Evernote version. They could at least make that button be normal colour instead of all blue.

If this one is not getting resolved, I'm never going to pay again neither for plus nor premium. I know it's a great app, but this is an insult. It needs to be written in the comparison between plans that until you buy premium Evernote keeps the right to annoy you with Upgrade button.

That's not what a good company would do.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, PovilasPanavas said:

Dude, but you cannot go to support.

Email is not available for Plus users, and chat is offline. The only support you can get is Community.

So, THIS PROBLEM IS SUPER ANNOYING! It's so annoying that instead of working, I'm googling how to solve it.

There was a giff about reshuffling buttons in the toolbar, sadly doesn't help for the latest Windows Evernote version. They could at least make that button be normal colour instead of all blue.

If this one is not getting resolved, I'm never going to pay again neither for plus nor premium. I know it's a great app, but this is an insult. It needs to be written in the comparison between plans that until you buy premium Evernote keeps the right to annoy you with Upgrade button.

That's not what a good company would do.

Because why exactly?  https://discussion.evernote.com/announcement/53-reach-out-to-evernote-support-on-twitter-evernotehelps/

It may take a while to get a response,  but if you can get someone to look into your issues you may actually get a fix sooner rather than later.

• 1 month later...

I'm also incredibly frustrated with the upgrade button in the tool bar and the damn popups seemingly every time I drag a file into a note.  I'm already a paid customer, this isn't freaking nagware but it sure feels like it.  Maybe it's time to look at OneNote again...

• Ex Employees

Thanks for the reports. Until the root cause of the issue is fixed, please try these steps as a workaround to remove the upgrade icon. Skip to # 2 if the icon is already gray. 

1. Select the upgrade icon and view pricing options so that the icon turns from blue to gray
  2. Remove the upgrade icon from the toolbar (Tools> Customize Toolbar)
  3. Select File > Exit (before app syncs)
  4. Reopen Evernote

Let me know if the upgrade icon reappears after using these steps. Thanks. 

On 9/29/2017 at 3:46 PM, Pegasys said:

Also at the bottom of my notes I often see "Show..." which opens up for an ad for Premium. I don't like seeing this at the bottom of my notes. I've been a paid user (now Plus) for years. I just want my plain notes. 

Ugh, yes, I am getting this too after an update to the Windows client. When I was a Premium user I completely disabled the Context functionality. I then dropped down to Plus when I came up for renewal. Fairly recently I uninstalled/reinstalled the client and rebuilt the database on my work PC due to the seemingly never-ending "not responding" issue I get. Unfortunately, in so doing it re-activated Context (the "Show" "feature" you're seeing on notes) and I CANNOT DISABLE IT NOW BECAUSE IT IS ONLY A PREMIUM OPTION. (As in, Context doesn't even show up for me under Tools > Options because I'm at the "wrong" subscription level.)

I really, really love Evernote but some of these recent issues are making me reconsider my support for it. :(

On 10/5/2017 at 10:04 AM, Austin G said:

I *just* tried this and so far so good, though it's only been about ten minutes! I also want to note that it removed the Context "Show" message at the bottom of my notes.

Thank you for the workaround - wish I'd seen your post before making my cranky whiny post above! :blush:

在 10/6/2017 在 AM1點04分, Austin G說:

Thanks for the reports. Until the root cause of the issue is fixed, please try these steps as a workaround to remove the upgrade icon. Skip to # 2 if the icon is already gray. 

1. Select the upgrade icon and view pricing options so that the icon turns from blue to gray
  4. Reopen Evernote

That works for me! Thanks! But I really fear evernote will fix this "bug" later ........

• 3 weeks later...
On 5.10.2017 at 7:04 PM, Austin G said:

4. Reopen Evernote

THANKS SO MUCH. 
I know it sounds probably stupid, but when I use Evernote I am usually concentrated, so this distraction, however small it was, was really annoying.

Worked for me (for now).
Oliver

On 29/10/2017 at 4:26 PM, Oliver_ENf2013 said:

when I use Evernote I am usually concentrated, so this distraction, however small it was, was really annoying.

I agree! I find this a huge problem with Evernote's crude attempts to get Plus customers to buy Premium. Just when you need to be totally focused some distracting thing (pdf annotation, upgrade button, context, work chat,...) trips you up and says you must upgrade. It really reduces the value of the app. I have tried Premium and don't need the features it has. Plus is the correct version for me. Just leave me in peace to use Evernote productively! Please include a setting for plus customers to hide all Premium related stuff - you can remind us about it once a quarter or something if you must.

• 1 month later...

The issue has reappeared. It has been more than a year. There are several forum threads. No solution. No interest from Evernote it seems.

This is one of the two reasons that I have today cancelled my subscription.

The other reason are privacy concerns when using Evernote in the browser - I thought my notes were only stored on "Evernote" servers, Until recently I was not aware every keystroke and mousemovement when logging in through a browser was being tracked and stored on servers of a third party. When Evernote was "caught red-handed" the reaction was not a public statement, but a "strange" change in the privacy policy. And this after last years experience of a privacy policy change backfiring.

I still think Evernote is a brilliant tool, and I understand everyone that keeps using it. But for me, this is the straw that broke the camels back...

Hi,
his would be off topic. I explained my frustrations and some more details in another thread which I just opened.
But in a nutshell - Evernote uses what is called "session replay" (only) when you enter your account via browser. "Session replay" tracks your mousemovements and key strokes. It is used so Evernote can optimise their web-design. A side effect is that the analytics company (in this case"hotjar") can and does record everything you type, so also your content. Also the stuff you deleted  again before clicking "save". This deleted stuff is not stored on the EN servers, but is stored on the service providers servers. How long they keep it is up to the contract EN has with them.

But again, I suggest to close here, and stick to the "UPGRADE" button, which is annoying enough...
Another topic - another thread :-)

UPDATE: Here is a link to my new topic, in case you have any more questions

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Oliver_ENf2013 said:

his would be off topic. I explained my frustrations and some more details in another thread which I just opened.
But in a nutshell - Evernote uses what is called "session replay" (only) when you enter your account via browser. "Session replay" tracks your mousemovements and key strokes. It is used so Evernote can optimise their web-design.

If this doesn't apply to the Evernote Windows client, then it is indeed off-topic, and in which case, posting your link should be done once only.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep... My Upgrade Button reappeared again... Will not ask again this time how to remove it... Probably the workaround still works
That and finding more minor problems in formatting when writing in evernote is making it more and more frustrating for me to use it. That's no good mindset, writing an idea...

I found another alternative (yeahi) that works regarding structuring ideas and more things like a charm. You might want to check out dynalist.

Evernote is still great, when it comes to capturing webpages.
I think I will restructure my workflow to accommodate that.
Any tips/advice for further alternatives that are more workflow oriented (pm fine too if you like) are greatly appreciated - but please no one-note..

Thanks though for all the help I got. You are actually really nice and helpful.
But somethings feels strange for me with evernote currently and I don't know what it might be and can't put more energy into finding out...

Kinda nostalgic.. My first note was created almost 8years ago ^^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This issue is NOT resolved. Please rename the topic to not solved.

I am a paying user. The yellow/orange Upgrade button re-appears after being removed via customize toolbar. Why is this? I pay for my subscription, why should I have to deal with this.

Fix it or lose another paying user.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, cm961 said:

This issue is NOT resolved. Please rename the topic to not solved.

I am a paying user. The yellow/orange Upgrade button re-appears after being removed via customize toolbar. Why is this? I pay for my subscription, why should I have to deal with this.

Fix it or lose another paying user.

Hi.  AFAIK only the original poster can change the title of this thread.

As a paying user you will have access to the Support team on  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if the first link won't work for you. 

It is not expected that the button comes back an any short period,  so if that's happening to you I'd suggest you contact Support and get some direct feedback from them.  Maybe an analysis of your log files will help them identify and fix a further bug in the system.

The yellow button is a horrible distraction! 

This would be a good reason for me to never upgrade PLUS to PREMIUM. Why are you doing this Evernote, come on! I hope you don't mind me using a little highlight to make a point ?

Hi,
I really believed it was fixed this time :D

After testing it, it seemed so to me. But it is there again now.
I don't use evernote so often anymore
, just for legacy projects so I didn't notice.
You need to restart the application, instead of only pressing sync at the moment to make the button reappear. 

Have you customize the toolbar? (more than just removing Upgrade) I've tried to repro this, but can't... (If the only button in the toolbar is Sync, then the toolbar is not customized and the Upgrade button will come back on an app restart.)

Hi, thank you for your reply.
Yes, just tested it (6.15.3.7881 (307881) Public (CE Build ce-53.2.6641)).
Customizing the toolbar. Rearranging it. Syncing before closing. Closing before syncing.
Still there after restart, shouting in my face: Upgrade

FYI: The next release will address this. The powers-that-be finally relented! Never have I been so happy to rip out code I wrote... Once removed, it will stay gone. There will no longer be special code that says "It's time to annoy the user again" (yes, I had a comment in the code to that said that)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
after new update still the subtle orange push...
6.15.4.7934 (307934) Public (CE Build ce-53.4.6770)

I really believe you dconnet, that you want to remove this annoyance. So thank you for your work.
But this situation overall is very strange.

Considering the widespread upgrade propaganda across multiple features and platforms I'm sure it's working as designed, not considered bug by Evernote.  Unfortunately, I like the product too much to walk away.  Until an obviously better alternative comes along I've learned to a say f*** *t and move on. However, I'd need a feature pretty desperately to upgrade at this point. I'd suffer a little inconvenience just to spite the propaganda. Business card integration as one example.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎05 at 12:04 PM, Austin G said:

It will come back eventually.  As stated above I believe as designed.

• Ex Employees
On 10/13/2018 at 4:38 PM, Gear64 said:

It will come back eventually.  As stated above I believe as designed.

This should no longer be the case after the 6.16 release. Let us know if you still see this issue. Thanks. 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:31 AM, Austin G said:

This should no longer be the case after the 6.16 release. Let us know if you still see this issue. Thanks. 

How about removing the full screen splash screen when taking photo of business card? Honestly this issue is more about being greedy by 'littering' the GUI with unnecessary clutter, when one if already 'paying to play'.  It doesn't really effect my workflow. However blocking my path to acquiring an image of a business card until I interact with 'sales and marketing' is literally an attack on my productivity defeating the foremost advantage of your product, extremely fast acquisition and recall of data.

In latest Evernote they've upgraded the upgrade button to a more obnoxious orange. It doesn't seem to reappear after every sync, instead it's after every restart of EN. But I'm sure it's a bug and they'll quickly fix it so it reappears after every sync. How about a popup that you can't close until 10 s? Come one Evernote devs. You aren't being obnoxious enough! We need MORE ADS!

It's really easy to remove the "Upgrade" button in the top right-hand corner. Right-click on the toolbar > customize toolbar. You'll then notice the elements in the toolbar are slightly moving side to side. Just drag the "Upgrade" icon off the toolbar and tada, it's gone. Click "Done" and you're good to go. 

On 10/22/2018 at 11:07 PM, coreycast said:

It's really easy to remove the "Upgrade" button in the top right-hand corner. Right-click on the toolbar > customize toolbar. You'll then notice the elements in the toolbar are slightly moving side to side. Just drag the "Upgrade" icon off the toolbar and tada, it's gone. Click "Done" and you're good to go. 

Your point is what? It's not news you can remove it temporarily. Evernote are still being obnoxious  (though at the moment less than before) and add it back after every Evernote restart.

It's really easy to not be obnoxious too and not spam about upgrades everywhere. They chose to be obnoxious.

No, that was fixed (I forget which release). By default, only free users will see it to begin with (not Plus users). And once you customize your toolbar and remove it, it won't come back. Unless you clear your registry.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived