Evernote offline?

EchoReaper

Currently I use OneNote for Windows 10 (free app), but I'm looking to potentially switch to Evernote. From what I can tell, Evernote puts a huge emphasis on syncing to the cloud so it can be accessed by multiple people and multiple devices. For the free version, it has multiple restrictions regarding this online capability. I don't need or use this online capability, so my question is: does Evernote have offline support, and if so does using Evernote offline waive any sort of restrictions on content added to notebooks? Just one of my OneNote notebooks is half a gigabyte, so if I'm subject to the previously mentioned restrictions I won't be able to switch to Evernote.

• Level 5*

You can have local notebooks in EN.  This type of notebook does not sync and you have to back it up yourself.  You do have to have one synced notebook, but there is no need to have any notes in it.  So you can move your .5G notebook to an EN local notebook.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, EchoReaper said:

Just one of my OneNote notebooks is half a gigabyte

I'm curious as to how you will export your notes out of OneNote

As @csihilling mentioned I strongly recommend you have a backup process in place for Local Notebooks.  You lose the automatic server backup if not syncing 

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

So you can move your .5G notebook to an EN local notebook.

To confirm, this means that there is no limit on how large local notebooks can be, correct?

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I'm curious as to how you will export your notes out of OneNote

Manually. It'll be a pain, but so long as it's worth it in the long run I don't mind.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I strongly recommend you have a backup process in place for Local Notebooks

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

This type of notebook does not sync and you have to back it up yourself

I mentioned in the OP that this notebook didn't need to be accessed across multiple devices -- this was still brought up, so is there any other reason why I'd need to sync/backup notebooks? I have cloud folders with plenty of storage space from other services that I can use, and probably will use just in the rare event my harddrive is bricked, but is there anything else I need to be on the lookout for with Evernote?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, EchoReaper said:

To confirm, this means that there is no limit on how large local notebooks can be, correct?

There is a 100,000 note limit, but to be honest I don't know if it applies to local notebooks or not, assume it does.  I've been using EN for 7 years and have accumulated 31k notes and a 16GB data base.  This obviously varies by use case.

2 hours ago, EchoReaper said:

I mentioned in the OP that this notebook didn't need to be accessed across multiple devices -- this was still brought up, so is there any other reason why I'd need to sync/backup notebooks? I have cloud folders with plenty of storage space from other services that I can use, and probably will use just in the rare event my harddrive is bricked, but is there anything else I need to be on the lookout for with Evernote?

Most folks maintain their own backups in addition to the EN cloud (mostly if I accidentally delete something in my case), so the main reason is multi device usage.  As long as you do your own backups, I'd recommend the EXEX version by notebook, you should be okay.  You can obviously use the one synced notebook if you find there are some things you would like to see on your phone or whatever.

Thanks! I've downloaded Evernote and have started looking into what it's capable of. From what I've figured out there are 3 levels of grouping: stacks, notebooks, and notes. I guess tags sort of allow for that as well, but I'd prefer not to use them as such -- strictly for searching instead. Out of those 3, it doesn't appear I can make them a child of others of the same type. For instance, I can't have a stack of a stack, a notebook of a notebook, or a note of a note. This means that at most I can have a depth of 3.

In OneNote, my typical note structure looks like this. Usually I'll probably go at most 5 levels deep, but I think in a couple areas I'm probably at 10 levels deep. Is there any way for me to achieve a similar organizational structure in Evernote, or will I just have to cram multiple pages from OneNote into a single note in Evernote?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EchoReaper said:

I mentioned in the OP that this notebook didn't need to be accessed across multiple devices -- this was still brought up, so is there any other reason why I'd need to sync/backup notebooks?

For sync'd Notebooks, you have an automatic backup - the Evernote servers, your other devices

Local Notebooks exist on only one device.  If you have a disk error, you lose your notes.   It's a good idea to have them backed up so you can recover

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, EchoReaper said:

Usually I'll probably go at most 5 levels deep, but I think in a couple areas I'm probably at 10 levels deep. Is there any way for me to achieve a similar organizational structure in Evernote, or will I just have to cram multiple pages from OneNote into a single note in Evernote?

Not sure what the 5 levels would be.  Perhaps an example.

I actually have very few Notebooks, and use Tags for organization.  

Tags can have unlimited hierarchy

39 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not sure what the 5 levels would be.  Perhaps an example.

I have a hyperlink in my previous post which links to an example of what I'm using OneNote for currently.

40 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I actually have very few Notebooks, and use Tags for organization.  

Tags can have unlimited hierarchy

Can tags be used for a tree-like hierarchy? From what I've seen it looks like I just have to look through a long list of tags in the "Tags" section in the sidebar to find what I'm looking for.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, EchoReaper said:

Can tags be used for a tree-like hierarchy? From what I've seen it looks like I just have to look through a long list of tags in the "Tags" section in the sidebar to find what I'm looking for.

This is the taglist on my Mac
I expand or contract the tag hierarchy as required    Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 4.08.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-30 at 4.08.56 PM.png

• Level 5*

Only stack and notebook to store notes.  For me EN is more about finding than storing so I use tags with few notebooks, I have less then 10 notebooks, half synced - half local.  

There are some detailed threads in the forum relative to the pluses and minuses of tags versus notebooks.  Check them out.  Don't want my tagger bias to get in the way.  ?

Archived