NeatConnect Cloud Scanner no longer able to login to Evernote

Foobar11

Anyone use Neat's NeatConnect Cloud Scanner to directly scan to Evernote?  This had been working for me for YEARS and suddenly about two weeks ago it stopped being able to upload.   I tried troubleshooting the issue by removing Evernote as a "destination" in the CloudConnect settings, and then attempted to re-add it.  However, when doing that it asks me to login to Evernote in its interface and I am able to do such, it then asks me to authorize the cloudconnect for 1 year which is then also successful but then the screen has no way to proceed further and therefore no way to complete the process of adding Evernote as a "destination".  As soon as I click any other button on the interface, it backs me out of the entire process and I've tried it numerous times to no avail. I've submitted a ticket to Neat's support but I'm not holding my breath on a reply from them based on past experience they try to blame 3rd party.

It is definitely an option but I'm saving that option for last resort as I bought the scanner to specifically scan directly into Evernote.  Scanning to desktop and then thereafter moving into Evernote is adding a few more steps than I opted for when I went with that scanner.  It probably doesn't sound like a big deal to you but the number of times I scan in docs daily (not in one batch) the convenience is a big deal to me.  If it were just one time a day or week it wouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah, just noticed the same thing. I thought it was a glitch at first. Usually I just restart the scanner and it uploads fine after that. I just removed my Evernote account from the scanner and tried to put it back in, now after entering the user/pass info, the screen goes blank on the scanner. 

Hi y'all,

We're seeing several users reporting they're no longer able to scan to Evernote using NeatConnect. At this time we're recommending that you try removing the integration in your Account Settings, then attempt to reauthorize NeatConnect. If you're still experiencing trouble scanning to Evernote using NeatConnect after doing this, please contact Neat Support for further assistance.

EDIT: Adding response @Welles received from Neat Support:

We’re very sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused you. We are currently experiencing issues which affect adding Dropbox, OneDrive and Evernote as destinations on the NeatConnect Scanner. An update will be provided once a solution is identified. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue. However, at this time, there is no ETA. Please visit our Status page for any updates.

http://www.neat.com/support/neat-scanner/neatconnect/neatconnect-status/

• amanda_h pinned and featured this topic

Received a reply from Neat:

Thank you for contacting Neat.

We have recently released a firmware update for the NeatConnect Scanner that fixes the issue around sending files to Evernote. The FirmWare version is 02.02.02.02

Please follow the steps below to update your firmware:

-Click the Settings button at the bottom left of the touchscreen.
-Scroll to the bottom of the Settings screen and you should see the Software Update option.
-Click the Software update button. Once updated, try sending to Evernote again.
-If it says it’s up to date already or the update is not going through correctly: power-cycle the scanner, make sure the wireless connection is working and then try the update again.

Problem is that my scanner thinks it has the most up to date firmware (which is 02.04.02.01) and it won't go out looking for the new form, which is noted above in the Neat response.  Seems funny that the newer version has a lower numerical name.  Unless software naming doesn't always go up in numbers........

Good to know that they supposedly have a fix. You got a lot better response than I did from Neat - They suggested that my problem is unique implying that I'm the problem (end user error).  

I also cannot update to that firmware since I'm also on 02.04.02.01, so my scanner thinks it's already up to date.

On 12/29/2016 at 9:05 AM, amanda_h said:

Hi y'all,

We're seeing several users reporting they're no longer able to scan to Evernote using NeatConnect. At this time we're recommending that you try removing the integration in your Account Settings, then attempt to reauthorize NeatConnect. If you're still experiencing trouble scanning to Evernote using NeatConnect after doing this, please contact Neat Support for further assistance.

Yup, already tried this if you read the original post that's exactly what I did.  tried reaching out to neat connect already as well described in a prior post above.  It seems like you (Evernote the company) would have carry a lot more weight in reaching out to Neat support to have them take this problem more seriously, instead of having us as individuals brushed off by them.

and this email just came in:

Thanks for the reply and thanks for your patience.

We’re very sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused you. We are currently experiencing issues which affect adding Dropbox, OneDrive and Evernote as destinations on the NeatConnect Scanner. An update will be provided once a solution is identified. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue. However, at this time, there is no ETA. Please visit our Status page for any updates.

http://www.neat.com/support/neat-scanner/neatconnect/neatconnect-status/(http://www.neat.com/support/neat-scanner/neatconnect/neatconnect-status/)

Please be sure to visit the Neat Help Center (http://www.neat.com/support/ (http://www.neat.com/support/)) for additional User Guides and Help Documentation to assist in getting the most out of Neat.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Welles said:

no ETA, I'm taking that statement as it will not be resolved

"No ETA" is not the same thing as "will not be resolved", particularly in light of "while we work to resolve this issue". Sometimes you really just don't know long a fix will take. "Will not be resolved any time soon" is probably a better translation. But yes, useless for the time being, unfortunately.

Considering they are showing issues for two other services that have lasted longer than 90+ days. Yes, I do consider a "No ETA" statement to mean it will not be resolved. Also, when they tell people to update to the latest firmware and that version is below what is actually out, then backtracking with the "No ETA" statement. 

However, I appreciate your clarification of the two, you know, for people in the cheap seats.  

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Welles said:

Considering they are showing issues for two other services that have lasted longer than 90+ days. Yes, I do consider a "No ETA" statement to mean it will not be resolved

If you think they're lying about "we're working on it" or maybe just incompetent in their ability to solve it, I can certainly understand why you're looking for new scanner hardware. 90+ days is an indicator that something's going on; hopefully that's not the case with the Evernote connection. Good luck.

Can't wait for Neat to figure things out.  Docs piling up.   Tried emailing from Neat into the computer and then transferring to Evernote.  Way too cumbersome.  Have ordered a Fujitsu Scansnap Evernote Edition.  Delivery tomorrow. 

Received a reply from Neat:

Thank you for contacting Neat.

We have recently released a firmware update for the NeatConnect Scanner that fixes the issue around sending files to Evernote. The FirmWare version is 02.02.02.02

Please follow the steps below to update your firmware:

-Click the Settings button at the bottom left of the touchscreen.
-Scroll to the bottom of the Settings screen and you should see the Software Update option.
-Click the Software update button. Once updated, try sending to Evernote again.
-If it says it’s up to date already or the update is not going through correctly: power-cycle the scanner, make sure the wireless connection is working and then try the update again.

Problem is that my scanner thinks it has the most up to date firmware (which is 02.04.02.01) and it won't go out looking for the new form, which is noted above in the Neat response.  Seems funny that the newer version has a lower numerical name.  Unless software naming doesn't always go up in numbers........

I have had the exact same problem  but with Onedrive.  Funny thing is that this happened some time ago and when they finally released the new firmware my scanner upgraded to 02.04.02.01  and then I was able to get it to work with OneDrive.   I have another neatconnect at another location that i tried to fix as well.. That one currently has firmware 02.03.02.06 ... When I try updating it.. it says its already up to date..and i cant get one drive to work on it.     VERY FRUSTRATING

I have read all of the posts concerning this issue as well as experiencing them first hand.  I paid Neat $50 to receive their Premium Support package and secret phone number.  I waited on hold for 25 minutes for their support staff to answer (out sourced to Philippines).  I received the same verbal response that they were working on this after many attempts trying to update to their latest software.  I really don't believe I should have to pay for the support when there is no resolution.   

In an attempt to fix the scanning to Evernote problem, I deactivated my Evernote account and then set it up again.  It required a new email and not my Evernote account is telling me my free trial has expired.  I was formerly a Premium member and would like to get this staus reinstated.  It was not expiring until sometime in Spring of 2017.  Evernote has ignored two written requests to date.  Please advise if anyone can help with this.

I am experiencing the exact same challenges, so I'm grateful for all of the reporting from end-users as well as management.  The part that I find most odd is that other external services are in fact available yet, Evernote is not.  This leads me to believe it a problem within the API between Evernote and NeatConnect.  Has this been looked at?

Just so you know, I did all of the power cycling, re-boots, uploaded the "latest: firmware, and then did a "Factory Reset" in order to clear out any erroneous connections that might be listed.  I noticed from within Evernote, there were many "connections" to NeatConnect because of the many attempts to connect.  I cleared them out.

I'm extremely frustrated, because the connection of Evernote with Neat Connect is the way I stay organized, and someone is not working properly.

If I do not get an ETA soon, I will go to the mainstream, tech media and will make sure every potential buyer knows about this problem before they throw their money away.  

PLEASE PROVIDE AN UPDATE.

Many thanks,

• Level 5*
On 01/01/2017 at 6:18 PM, TheWorldIsEnding said:

PLEASE PROVIDE AN UPDATE.

On 30/12/2016 at 7:11 PM, Welles said:

http://www.neat.com/support/neat-scanner/neatconnect/neatconnect-status/(http://www.neat.com/support/neat-scanner/neatconnect/neatconnect-status/)

This was a quote from NeatConnect 4 days ago on December 30th.  You might like to check with them regarding updates - if this is a scanner issue Evernote have little or no influence on how or when it is fixed.

I’m glad that Evernote has “Forum Gurus” that are dedicated to product. However, I’m tied of hearing the pass the buck story.  The NeatConnect did work, then stopped working.  Not sure the exact technical details on why and last I looked it talked directly to Evernote servers and not Neat(if you’re an Evernote or Neat employee and correct this statement--go for it).

We all pay or use the no-cost version of Evernote and have paid several hundred of dollars for the NeatConnect, a product to work with Evernote in a certain way and that way being able to scan directly to Evernote without a computer or other software being involved.

I find it hard to believe that Evernote does not have a Product Manager or someone that deals with 3rd party products using Evernote.  And, assist them in any issue they may have with products talking to Evernote.

Also, the timing is a little bad because of the holidays and this issue could be a simple resolution once key people return to the office.

With that being said, it would be nice to see an Evernote(someone directly involved with 3rd party service/devices) or maybe even at Neat employee comment on this issue.

6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Would you expect your Ford dealer to sort out a BMW problem?  Just sayin' ;)

So with that logic you're saying Evernote doesn't have a PM(or someone) involved with 3rd party devices/services that use Evernote?

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Welles said:

you're saying Evernote doesn't have a PM...

Actually I have no clue,  but there's a lot of hardware and thousands of apps that interface with Evernote.  Plus the API is freely available to any developer who wants to use it.  I'd imagine you'd need an organization the size of the Pentagon to keep tabs on everyone linking to the software by one means or another.  And I'm not even counting having enough knowledge of a third-party company to know who to talk to about some sort of a glitch. 

I do appreciate your frustration,  but if you paid good money for something that doesn't do what it says it should,  then I'd say follow the money and complain to that company. 

Evernote makes no claims about scanners (other than its own) and isn't exhibiting any faults here.  It's the NeatConnect which isn't working.  If they trace that to an Evernote issue,  no doubt NC will be quick to point it out. 

This is a LEGAL issue.  The scanner advertises itself as having the ability to interface with 3rd Party applications.    From my recollection, I believe I remember seeing their logos on the box in which the scanner was provided from the vendor that I purchased it from.

I would strongly suggest that Neat, put some cash behind hiring developers to connect the app with their scanner.  And, if they want to point the finger, and make it a low priority, don't think a class action suit isn't out of the question since so many of us who placed our money and faith in your product built our databases within that choice which as recommended by "Neat".  There is plenty of money to be had if Neat wants to take their time.  

I would recommend hiring a sophisticated group of developers who can re-establish the API in conjunction with Evernote Et al.

I don't mean to sound nefarious, but this problem is causing a complete stoppage in my/our work.

I agree that we could use less non-official Evernote reps chiming in, as all the responses of "gurus" isn't pertinent to addressing the topic question at all.  For example, the first response from the guru was to abandon using my scanner altogether and instead to my desktop and then import manually.  That's not the type of answers people are looking for if someone came on a Ford discussion forum looking for advice how to fix a specific mechanical problem on their vehicle, the guru would suggest taking a bus instead.

Perhaps we can get the Evernote company rep, who responded prior, to see if they can leverage their connection with the Neat company to raise the issue so that they take it more seriously.  This doesn't seem to be an Evernote problem but I imagine Neat is a key partner so it would be in their interest to not lose those users.

• Level 5*

Sorry to chime in again,  but this being a user forum you tend to get other users (like me) commenting on posts - usually in a constructive way,  whether or not that's actually appreciated at the time.  So. Why would Neat listen to Evernote - what is EN going to do,  block their database access somehow?  And why would Evernote take up the case of (all due respect) less than a dozen of its 200M users against a third-party company with whom it (AFAIK) has no relationship at all?

I've been wrong before,  and it's quite possible that Evernote will chime in and tell you that I'm wrong again;  but if you want to put energy into campaigning for something I really suggest you do it on Neat's websites rather than here.  Having said which,  it's entirely your right to post what you like (subject to the Forum rules) so I promise not to contribute here again - (unless I have to post any apologiers... ;))

There he goes again, adding something non-pertinent.  I'm beginning to think you have nothing better to do.  When I browse forums, I don't have to put my 2cents in every single thread.  If there are questions I don't know the answer to, I simply do not try to answer it with something completely irrelevant.

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

Sorry to chime in again,  but this being a user forum you tend to get other users (like me) commenting on posts - usually in a constructive way,  whether or not that's actually appreciated at the time.  So. Why would Neat listen to Evernote - what is EN going to do,  block their database access somehow?  And why would Evernote take up the case of (all due respect) less than a dozen of its 200M users against a third-party company with whom it (AFAIK) has no relationship at all?

I've been wrong before,  and it's quite possible that Evernote will chime in and tell you that I'm wrong again;  but if you want to put energy into campaigning for something I really suggest you do it on Neat's websites rather than here.  Having said which,  it's entirely your right to post what you like (subject to the Forum rules) so I promise not to contribute here again - (unless I have to post any apologiers... ;))

I agree with you Gazumped.   if this was an Evernote API issue,  there would be lots of people who would be chiming in on other 3rd party integrations that were not Neat.  The fact that Neat has an issue with the Connect Scanner across the cloud services they connect to really points to an issue with their scanner.   Im sure if Evernote got involved,  it will be sending the API spec back to Neat...   :)

Im frustrated too,  but whats Evernote going to do except review the public API spec to Neat :)

I am having the same problem. I finally got to the point that I tried a Factory Reset...No joy.

I also tried updating the firmware, but I get told I already have the latest and no upgrade is available.

I really hope this gets sorted out because I am all on Chromebox & Chromebook and have no computer to connect a traditional scanner to.

I am not connected to Either company, thank GOD, because they do not play nice together.  

This is FREE info on a workaround that I discovered.  It is not the easiest, but it will allow you to add scan into the platform that you've invested (Neat + Evernote)

POTENTIAL PROBLEM:  Without access to the software and hardware teams on both sides, older accounts somehow started experiencing problems with their integration, and the scanners weren't able to successfully transfer data from the Neat hardware to the Evernote Software.  This is the basic possible problem.  The reason I know this is because...

THE FIX:  Try creating

An entirely new account in Evernote and magically my Neat Scanner started working again!

Use a different email address (required.  (I changed mine from a gmail.com account to a private email hosted solution at Google), not that I believe your email is the problem here, it is required by Evernote to differentiate accounts.  I immediately went to my Neat scanner and connected it to an email address myownurl.com and scanned a document.  

It went through.

The question is why did it go through?  Is Evernote making it's own hardware, and because content is king, and a customer is entirely probable to stay with his or her content and the software the makes their lives easier, we will dump out Neat scanners, and buy Evernote Hardware.  

Another possible problem is that Evernote and Neat are having a showdown on who can buy who?  Who has a bigger D*ck.  I don't' know.  But if this happens again, it is important for Evernote to have it's scanners for sale and ready to move right away.  

For now, I would be cautious on relying on Evernote who has taken their software and used their clients who have paid for services, AND HAVE THROWN THEM UNDER THE BUS,  SO THEY CAN START A NEW BUSINESS.  I HOPE THIS ISN'T THE CASE.  

Now:  as I continue to scan into Evernote, I would like to know how to easily move the content from one account to another.  And in the meantime, that will solve the problem, of scanning new documents.  So, based on this info, it appears as if Evernote is caught holding the hot potato.  I hope for account holders using Neat scanners, they will be given complimentary accounts in the interim as Evernote does it's home work.  

PLEASE GIVE EVERNOTE THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXPLAIN WHAT HAS HAPPENED.  WE DON'T WANT TO THROW A GOOD COMPANY UNDER THE BUS, BUT THERE HAD BETTER BE A DAMN GOOD EXPLANATION.  

I once had two employees who couldn't get along.  And then there were none.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, TheWorldIsEnding said:

Is Evernote making it's own hardware, and ..... (hoping?)  .....we will dump out Neat scanners, and buy Evernote Hardware.

Every other type of scanner seems still to be working with Evernote without problem,  so on the basis of the responses to this thread Evernote could expect to sell..  10 scanners by locking Neat devices out of the web?  I'm disappointed by their lack of ambition.  Plus they're a software company that just restructured to "concentrate more on their key product" - which is a multi-platform database,  not scanner hardware.  They freely publish the specs of the database and key design of their front door locks - it's up to others to make access keys that work.

Given the workaround suggestion above,  I wonder if it's not so much the new account that allowed the scanner to work,  as a new authorisation.  Are Neat scanners listed as under account devices?  Maybe Revoking Access to the current setup will allow you to create a new connection?  (Just an idea - not tested by anyone yet...)

Also - for anyone on a Basic account - do you have more than three devices connected?  Revoke access to everything and re-authorise the ones you need.  (Remember the limit is three current devices excluding the web page.  If you need to connect another,  just revoke access to a current device and add the new one temporarily.)

Devices FAQ

I am having the same problem. I finally got to the point that I tried a Factory Reset...No joy.

I also tried updating the firmware, but I get told I already have the latest and no upgrade is available.

I really hope this gets sorted out because I am all on Chromebox & Chromebook and have no computer to connect a traditional scanner to.

Wow..Just saw this thread.    They said my problem was "unique" too.  I submitted my report on December 23, 2016.

Due to the uniqueness of the error, the issue must be escalated to our Development team for further investigation and resolution. Please be aware this may take some time to resolve. When we receive notification of a resolution we will contact you to perform the necessary trouble shooting steps.

Any resolution?

1 hour ago, WBWilhelm said:

Wow..Just saw this thread.    They said my problem was "unique" too.  I submitted my report on December 23, 2016.

Due to the uniqueness of the error, the issue must be escalated to our Development team for further investigation and resolution. Please be aware this may take some time to resolve. When we receive notification of a resolution we will contact you to perform the necessary trouble shooting steps.

Any resolution?

That looks like the same message I got from Neat...Word for word. I reported my problem on Jan 7th. Other than telling me my problem is "unique", I have heard nothing more from Neat.

I feel a little guilty doing all this talk in Evernote's forum when it appears to be a Neat problem, but I am unable to locate any sort of user forum at Neat's website.

At 1st I thought it might be an Evernote problem until a realized there are multiple places I can no longer send documents. Neat seems to be the common denominator. A shame, because I really like the product. I just hope nobody I've recommended this scanner to calls me on the carpet over my recommendation.

@jimgribbin  I agree - this is *not* an Evernote problem but a Neat issue.  I just sent them an email linking them to the thread to let them know that a wide varitey of people are *ticked off*.   I''m seriously thinking of linking this thread to a review on Amazon.   I suggest that we all might want to threaten the same to put a fire under them for support.

I got the Neat scanner almost exclusively because of the integration with Evernote so this is a *major* workflow issue for me.  

I noticed the Evernote logo no longer appears on the home page as one of the "supported services".  Maybe there are issues between the two companies that we are not aware about.  I know a lot has been going on under the hood at Evernote.

Neat still has Evernote as a supported service on this link though..   http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/scanning-to-3rd-party-services/

1 hour ago, WBWilhelm said:

@jimgribbin  I agree - this is *not* an Evernote problem but a Neat issue.  I just sent them an email linking them to the thread to let them know that a wide varitey of people are *ticked off*.   I''m seriously thinking of linking this thread to a review on Amazon.   I suggest that we all might want to threaten the same to put a fire under them for support.

I got the Neat scanner almost exclusively because of the integration with Evernote so this is a *major* workflow issue for me.  

I noticed the Evernote logo no longer appears on the home page as one of the "supported services".  Maybe there are issues between the two companies that we are not aware about.  I know a lot has been going on under the hood at Evernote.

Neat still has Evernote as a supported service on this link though..   http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/scanning-to-3rd-party-services/

When I got the email from Neat Support implying this was a unique problem, I replied including a link to this discussion.

I think I got a firmware upgrade for my scanner sometime in December, but I couldn't swear to it. I didn't note when I got the upgrade and a date code doesn't appear to be in the firmware name.

I have 02.04.02.01

OK. I don't know what's going on. My scanner just let me add my Evernote account and even sent a document to my Evernote account. The past couple of weeks it wouldn't complete adding my Evernote account to my scanner.

I still can't add Dropbox. It won't finish the add account process. I put in the email and password and nothing. No error messages telling my password was wrong or anything.

It appears I may owe Neat an apology. I'm still confused by what's been going on.

I just heard back from Neat. They do have a page with the current status, but no place for discussion.

It appears Evernote, Dropbox, and OneDrive are where they're having issues. I don't use OneDrive.

Considering that my Evernote issue seems to have gone away without a firmware update, I'm beginning to think that maybe something changed on the services Neat connects to. It could be a software upgrade to the underlying server and all the affected services are using the same server OS and got some sort of upgrade at about the same time causing headaches for everyone. With everything interconnected it can be hard to track down.

@JimGribbin, this is a very astute conclusion, and yes, there has been little to report.  Which either means they can't figure it out, or it isn't top priority.

At this point, being that this is being posted on the Evernote page, I have a gut feeling that this problem resides within the scanner as it makes little sense that multiple services are suddenly not willing to accept the devices scans.  It is possible that the hardware was built with specific embedded code that is not longer accepted through these services, or it could be a million other things.  

We have made our voices heard.  And, if I don't hear something soon, I think someone mentioned posting on the social medias what is going on.  Since it is all true, the damaging remarks are not slander and would prevent other customers from spending so much money on what was called by the salesman "the best" scanner to connect with Evernote.  

I feel taken.  I wish my friend @rossrubin would consider writing something on this.  The news media are the only ones who can handle this.

I am so surprised that nobody has an official statement.  

Just an update on my end. Still cannot connect to Evernote through NeatConnect.

Tried with a new Evernote account. No luck.

Just tried to set up to send through Gmail and got this reply from Google.

Are you the one who tried signing in?
Google will continue to block sign-in attempts from the app you're using because it has known security problems or is out of date. You can continue to use this app by allowing access to less secure apps, but this may leave your account vulnerable.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this. I've already left a 1 star rating on Amazon detailing the complete failure of NeatConnect. #feelinghosed

Wonder if something is happening.  Just got this email.  

Is the fix working for others?

I have yet to try.  If nothing I will start posting on Amazon and then Social Media.  If there is a legitimate issue I'm ok with them working on a fix. Lack of transparency is a major problem.

JAN 20, 2017  |  05:50PM EST 
Odi replied:

Hello Bill ,

Thanks for your patience. We are still gathering information on your issue. I will keep you posted as I get more information.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns in a reply to this case. Also, please be sure to visit the Neat Help Center (http://www.neat.com/support/) for additional User Guides and Help Documentation to assist in getting the most out of Neat.

Thank you,
Odi
-Neat® Customer CareJAN 20, 2017  |  05:50PM EST 
Odi replied:

Hello 

Thanks for your patience. We are still gathering information on your issue. I will keep you posted as I get more information.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns in a reply to this case. Also, please be sure to visit the Neat Help Center (http://www.neat.com/support/) for additional User Guides and Help Documentation to assist in getting the most out of Neat.

Thank you,
Odi
-Neat® Customer Care

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, WBWilhelm said:

I tried mine over the weekend and it is definately *NOT* working.  It logs me in but tries to reactivate the authorization with Evernote.  It gets stuck on that screen and then reboots.  

Your problem sounds a little more serious than mine. If it has begun rebooting in response to attempting to add an account, I would talk to Neat support.

I had a couple of accounts stop working, all are working now, and when I attempted deleting and re-adding the accounts I couldn't send to, it just didn't complete the adding account procedure. It didn't re-boot on me.

UPDATE:  Solution to the Neat Scanner Problem with Evernote

I have figured out how to get our hardware working with the software.  I don't really care who's fault it is, but people who are buying the scanner need to know of the problem, so their time and hard earned money isn't wasted.

Let's do this together and be 100% honest.

I plan to make a video and upload it to youtube.  The video needs to display the problem as it happens.  I hope there are other people who are willing to show the world what is going on.  As a result....

1.  It will let Neat, and Evernote service see the problem and begin troubleshooting since perhaps this is a misunderstanding.  Both companies need to play together nicely and spend money together to fix the issue.  They co-branded the sale, meaning that Neat claims to work with Evernote and the other way around.  It says it in the scanner's software.

2.  If this is not longer the case, they will make an announcement, and Neat will return our money for a broken product that will not be fixed.  The lost time as well is significant in addition to the cost of software and hardware.  Maybe another company will capitalize on this, and offer a better solution.

3.  New customers who are reading Marketing materials about how great this software and hardware are as a team will watch the videos that we make and publish that demonstrate the problem.

4.   We will use the hashtag #EvernoteNotSoNeat

5.  The videos should be about 3-5 minutes in length, but no more.  Make sure that no personal info besides what appears on your screen are away from the scanner such as paper, mail, etc.  You don't want to give away your home address.  Unfortunately, our emails will show on the scanners destination selection page.  

If someone is talented with video production, the emails can be blurred.  I'm not concerned about blast emails coming our way as a direct result of standing up for ourselves Possibly news reporters looking to do a story on the problem will contact us, and that will also help get the problem addressed.

6.  We will post the videos under the title:  "Neat Scanner and Evernote are having compatibility issues."  Try to just stick to the point and quickly show people how the scanner doesn't work by showing the dialogue box, and the error messages when trying to send documents.  DO NOT BASH, OR SLANDER EITHER COMPANY BY ACCIDENT.  THEY DESERVE THE CHANCE TO FIX THE PROBLEM, AND IF THEY DO, I THINK MOST OF US WILL BE HAPPY THAT OUR SET-UP WORKS.

7.  As a result of our online demonstration, all 50+ of us can upload our own version of the exact same problem, and the company will be forced to act.  Also, we are probably going to hurt sales since this will also be linked to Amazon (as recommended by another user) and the mainstream media.

Should they still not act, I am sure a lawyer will happily take our case on contingency.

I am hoping you guys are all onboard.  Please reply so we can set a date for upload.

Best,

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, TheWorldIsEnding said:

I have figured out how to get our hardware working with the software.

Could you give us details in a post.  Videos are nice, but simple text also works

At one point I did by opening up and paying for a new Evernote account.  Now I have two broken accounts that do not work for the same reason.

Text is to the point, but a working video of the problem will force them to expedite.  

They took our money happily, and have sucked with their 3 frame day response.  (video joke).  Maybe we can all get our money back, and find a solution that works.

• Level 5*

I'm a little confused.  You're saying you " have figured out how to get our hardware working with the software".  Does that mean that you know how to actually get things to work,  or that you're proposing to embarrass Evernote and Neat into finding an answer between them?  Because if you do have a real answer, there's no more problem. 

When you get your video done,  please send us the link (I don't think you can upload it here) but - as @DTLow points out - a text description would be more quickly useful to the other people with Neat scanners and connection problems...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything from support?  I'm seriously considering another scanner that actually works with Evernote.  The best thing about the neat is that it was wireless and didn't need a PC.  Has anyone found an alternative.   

I have a solution that allows us to scan directly into Evernote.  I wish I had thought of it sooner, but better late than never.  Scroll down to the bold print "Solution"

But first, guys, yes I am angry at the waste of money I spent on the Neat Scanner....  And the blow off.   It's like a girl that no longer wants to date you, pretends she does....and when you ask her if everything is OK, she says "yea...OK, I'm busy for the next month..."  We all deserve a refund for our time which does have real value.  Also, It appears as if Evernote does have a favorite scanner called ScanSnap.  More on that another time.

The workaround uses Neat's scanner hardware to email the scan directly into Evernote.  "Email" eliminates the proprietary nature of the software that makes this scanner worth so much more money than a generic.  Using email eliminates all of the API's associated with "services" (DropBox, Evernote, etc) and uses NeatConnect's email client that is designed to simply forward a scan to an email in the most basic form.

Why Evernote was unable to supply this information - (that Evernote has an inbound email) is beyond me.  But the instructions below will help you set-up the scanner to send an email to Evernote, and it should arrive immediately in the designated inbox within seconds of scanning.  

When you see the files, you will have to move them to the folder of choice, but at least, we are able to get the scans into Evernote without having to drag and drop from whichever software (google, dropbox, etc) seems to be accepting NeatConnect scans today!

You may be asking about the amount of time it takes or any extra steps.  Once you have entered the long email from Evernote into the Neat Connect, the choice appears when you attempt to send the scan as an email.  So, you are pressing one button to send the scan as an email, and then another button to select the user:  Your personal Evernote inbound email address. (or your mom).

Here's a step-by-step approach on how to set everything up. 

"Solution"

1.  Evernote provides the user with an email address so we can simply send an email with an attachment, and it will go directly into the folder that we designate as Default. (see below to set up a default folder before moving to step #2).  Also, the name of the folder should relate to the name of the scanner so you can find all inbound scans (from Neat) after everything is functioning correctly.  (some of us are using many scanners, or inbound pipes to Evernote)

2.  Your personal designated Evernote inbound email is located under account settings.  On a Mac, Help>Account.  Windows:  Tools>Account Info/  For more information on how to locate your Evernote email, please click on the following:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005347-How-to-save-email-into-Evernote

3.  After obtaining your personal email inbound account from Evernote, go to the NeatConnect scanner, and set-up an email account.  Select the gear icon in the lower left corner of the LCD screen.  Then select the mailbox you'd like to set-up.  This allows you to use the Neat Connect's email software that comes with the scanner with your own email address (I set-up a Gmail address just for this). Just so you know, It serves as a return address only and has no real function beyond just that.  

4.  To scan a document directly into Evernote, select your email address BEFORE scanning.  After the paper is fed, you press the orange square at the bottom of the LCD screen that says "send to".  Press this button, and you will be given the field to type in CAREFULLY AND EXACTLY your Evernote email address.  This must be done correctly the first time since the scanner memorizes your Evernote destination - EXACTLY the way it was typed.  When finished, press send. 

5.  Next, open your Evernote application on your computer (or web browser) and check your designated folder.  The scan should show up immediately.

6. Should you have scans in memory that have been rejected by the other software (Evernote, Gmail, DropBo, onenote), just select one of those already scanned files, and mail them to your Evernote inbox - now that the email address pops up automatically when you are emailing a scan.

7.  Enjoy.  

I hope this solution helps everyone at least get by. I want to comment on everyone's discussions About which company should be responsible for the problem.  

Every single company mentioned in this email is responsible.  The fact that NOBODY offered a concrete solution, is a sign how little they care about their businesses.  When you stop caring about customers, you had better prepare to close your doors to business.

I will be following up with a new scanner to buy, that will allow documents to be copied and automatically sent to the correct folders though the built-in OCR software.  In the meantime, I look forward to your feedback on this temporary fix.  I'm sure if we put our heads together, this process can be perfected.

Cheers,

Jaime Hazan
9/11 Responder/EMT (retired)
former CEO, NYInteractive.com.

SET-UP A DEFAULT FOLDER

1. Mac. Select Evernote > Preferences... > ...
  2. Windows. From the left panel, click Notebooks to expand and display the notebook list. ...
  3. iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Open the 'Account' tab. ...
  4. Android. Tap Settings > Notebooks > Default Personal Notebook from the navigation menu. ...
  5. Web. ...
  6. Web Clipper.

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 2.12.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 2.15.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 2.15.12 PM.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, TheWorldIsEnding said:

The fact that NOBODY offered a concrete solution, is a sign how little they care about their businesses.

The original question in this thread was: "my NEAT scanner doesn't work,  how can I fix it?".  Most of the to and fro since then has been on the same topic,  not "what other options do I have?" 

On the various comments above -

• Evernote doesn't have a 'favorite' scanner,  though they did collaborate with Fujitsu to market an Evernote Edition Fujitsu Scansnap.  That's a multi-user office scanner with specialised features that may or may not suit your needs.  Read the specs before you buy one and maybe share your use case here - IMHO it's not appropriate for most individual users.
  • Lots of different scanners can scan to Evernote,  fewer can do so wirelessly and a similarly small selection can send scans in by email.  Do your own due diligence with scanner specs to find something that suits your budget if you wish.
  • Evernote Plus and Premium users can receive scans and clips by email up to a maximum of 200 per day.  Basic and Business can not.  Email notes are subject to the same maximum size and upload allowances as notes saved directly.
  • Email notes will normally be saved to the default notebook.  It is possible to direct emails to specific notebooks and apply tags and add reminders - see How to save email into Evernote for more details.
  • If you can live with a network scanner,  then any reasonably cheap unit will probably fit your needs.  Scan to your computer and import the file(s) to Evernote as notes.
  • None of the above is a secret - see the Help & Learning pages for more on scanning / getting information into Evernote.

And again.  This issue arises from an apparent problem with NEAT scanners.  I'm sorry that this is disrupting workflows,  and may involve folks purchasing new equipment.  While I understand any frustrations,  it ain't anything to to with Evernote,  which has always had all of its features available and detailed on its web sites. 

In case it hasn't been said before,  this is a user-supported forum and not Evernote's support site.  Evernote support,  should you need it,  is available through the help pages and on Twitter @EvernoteHelps

• 2 weeks later...

Did everyone see this email?

Did this correct the issues?  I notice they don't mention Evernote.

Dear NeatConnect Customer,

In preparation for a forthcoming firmware update (v02.04.02.02) for our NeatConnect scanners, we wanted you to be aware of a few key items to best prepare you for this update.  Once released, you should see a notification on the screen of your NeatConnect that a firmware update is available. Please read the release notes as part of this on-screen update notification.

Bug Fixes

1. OneDrive - some customers have experienced an error message stating that their OneDrive storage is full.  This update resolves this issue.  

2. Firmware Update failing- a small percentage of customers have had an issue with prior firmware updates.  This release addresses that issue and will allow for streamlined updates in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTE BEFORE UPDATING

All customers should clear out all existing items from your Outbox that you want to keep as this update will delete these items as part of the update process.

Please ensure you have uploaded and saved any items in your Outbox PRIOR to running the update. 

Thanks,

The Neat Company

I have also been having the same issue. Just updated to the new magic firmware and it is still the case. I go all the way through the process of adding a new cloud destination and login in to Evernote, reauthorize it and nothing happens and when I go back to the home screen it does not appear. 

Still a no go. 

On 3/8/2017 at 5:16 AM, WBWilhelm said:

Did everyone see this email?

Did this correct the issues?  I notice they don't mention Evernote.

Dear NeatConnect Customer,

In preparation for a forthcoming firmware update (v02.04.02.02) for our NeatConnect scanners, we wanted you to be aware of a few key items to best prepare you for this update.  Once released, you should see a notification on the screen of your NeatConnect that a firmware update is available. Please read the release notes as part of this on-screen update notification.

Bug Fixes

1. OneDrive - some customers have experienced an error message stating that their OneDrive storage is full.  This update resolves this issue.  

2. Firmware Update failing- a small percentage of customers have had an issue with prior firmware updates.  This release addresses that issue and will allow for streamlined updates in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTE BEFORE UPDATING

All customers should clear out all existing items from your Outbox that you want to keep as this update will delete these items as part of the update process.

Please ensure you have uploaded and saved any items in your Outbox PRIOR to running the update. 

Thanks,

The Neat Company

I got this email as well. The update was finally available to me over this past weekend. I updated the firmware and had no change. I am still, mostly, unable to send scans directly to Evernote.

I emailed "support" for an update.  The almost immediately responded....with *exactly* the same boilerplate that they were investigating this. 

I'm thinking about reporting this to the FTC since they continue to market this device touting this as a capability.

I'm wondering if this is impacting all users or just a subset?

According to a NeatConnectt Status page I found. http://www.neat.com/support/neat-scanner/neatconnect/neatconnect-status/

This last update supposedly fixes a similar problem with OneDrive as a destination. They say they're still working on Dropbox & Evernote issues.

I'm getting real tired of this. I got this for 2 main reasons: I use a Chromebox and I needed a scanner that didn't need to be connected directly to a computer & I wanted to send documents to Evernote. The other abilities are nice asides but weren't what I bought the scanner for.

• 2 weeks later...

@TheWorldIsEnding Solution does not work in that you need smtp information to send directly to one's personal evernote email address.  A few steps are missing:

1. Create a new gmail account ex. mycompany.evernote@gmail.com
  2. Once in gmail, click on gmail settings and forward all email to personal evernote email account found in evernote accout settings 'Email Notes to'.  
  3. You will need to verify the gmail-to-evernote forward. This is done by checking your evernote default folder and clicking on the link google provided.
  4. Add your mycompany.evernote@gmail.com account via the Neat scanner Add New Desitination > Email.  Since this is a gmail account the smtp setting are setup automatically.

RANT: I honestly cannot understand how Neat is still in business and how a class action suit is not filed.  They still advertise this: http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/scanning-to-3rd-party-services/ . You have to assume Neat is going under.  

@IBC Developer, thanks for adding the additional step. I took it for granted that people couldn't cut anbd paste their outbox info from their ISP...  since we all do not use google.  This fix has been working for me for a long time now,

A friend of mine who is a tech reporter might be interested in picking this up, Ross Rubin.  Most are used to writing about the next great thing that people are inventing.  

I wish I was a lawyer, I wonder what Neat's market share is?  I have no problem with filing something like this, sadly the time is takes to handle this is simply not worth the return, unless you are the lawyer.  

I am an advocate for 9-11 responders and the service dog community.  I'm remiss to take on more responsibility since I'm fighing to stay healthy for as long as possible after being exposed to ground zero toxins from the 9-11 attacks.  If you want to start this, I'm behind you 100%.  This is total BS.

Interesting.  Assets would need to be frozen, depending on how much stock each shareholder owns.  

This kind of thing would tank their company, but we would not be suing for that reason, rather for support for their guarantees made at purchase datae and after.  

Good research @WBWilhelm ..

Truthfully, this would probably take a simple phone call and a google search

Any takers?

It's hard to imagine how a lawsuit could be useful to anyone frankly since that would surely render the devices inoperable.  Best you can hope for is that they get this fixed soon. It can't be helpful to them at all.  One hopes that the recent software update is a promising sign.  It did look like they were prioritizing Dropbox fix over Evernote.  though.    Crunchbase says 6 employees.  If that's true they are likely using outsourced developers. That could mean things are going to take awhile.  

Does anyone know of another product that is wireless (doesn't need a PC) and has similar evernote functionality?  

• 4 weeks later...

Following the post. I am a new user on evernote and interested in learning about any updates on the software.

Discuss about technology in Spain

Thank you for taking the time to post a workaround @TheWorldIsEnding it works great!!! I tried to use my WebMail from Godaddy and it did NOT work using the smtp credentials I use to login with this email, BUT, I was able to send to my Gmail, ONLY AFTER receiving an email from Gmail that they had blocked an attempt from a 'Less secure app', with a link to allow access to less secure apps. So when you initially try to setup Gmail on the NeatConnect Scanner you will get a connection error, just go to your Gmail email and click the link 'allowing access to less secure apps', then try again and it will work!! Thanks again my friend.

If you don't have a Gmail account and don't want to set one up, you might want to call Godaddy and ask them why Neat Scanner is getting blocked, and how to allow access from this device like Gmail allows.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:09 PM, Streetartmadrid said:

@Streetartmadrid Neat still has not fixed this problem. CRAZY! We can't add the Evernote email address because that function requires an outgoing mail server. Creating a brand new email account in gmail just to send these documents to Evernote is wasteful. My gmail has 2 factor authentication, so I can't set up the existing gmail account I own. Spent more than an hour this EARLY morning with this foolishness.

Discuss about technology in Spain

On 24.5.2017 at 8:15 PM, Mike Vila said:

Yes this is taking too long I think it's time to switch to the ScanSnap ix500. Anyone try this scanner yet?

Yes, no problem ever (Win 7/10). Mine works by Wifi transfer, USB-connection needed for initial setup. 

I would always recommend small slips (tanking receipts etc) fed through with a sheetholder, but this is just me experiencing problems with other scanners previously. 

The software is reasonably easy to configurate and use and still gets maintenance updates. 

However some Mac users did report problems with this model, probably driver related. 

Yike got to look into the Mac problems! Yes the Neat has a great small receipt chute, but I like Evernote more than I like the small chute. I just don't know why they can't get it together to fix this problem, crazy man!

There he goes again, adding something non-pertinent.  I'm beginning to think you have nothing better to do.  When I browse forums, I don't have to put my 2cents in every single thread.  If there are questions I don't know the answer to, I simply do not try to answer it with something completely irrelevant.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received a firmware update for my scanner. I I'm not where my scanner is at the moment, but I so I don't know the version. I After updating, I was able to send 2 documents in a row to Evernote. 

I'll exercise it more tomorrow and see if it stays going. I Not that I'm paranoid or anything ;-) 

Thanks Jim.  Based on the Neat Connect this looks VERY promising.

Updated: 06/19/2017 10am EDT

At your earliest convenience, please install the latest NeatConnect firmware update. The most recent NeatConnect firmware update resolves a lingering Dropbox and Evernote connectivity issue.

Important: This is a mandatory NeatConnect firmware update. We recommend all NeatConnect users apply the latest firmware update – even if you did not previously experience connectivity problems between the NeatConnect and third-party software integrations (Evernote, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive).

If you were not prompted to update the firmware on your NeatConnect, please apply the update manually.

Please note: Applying any firmware update to your NeatConnect may wipe the contents of the Outbox on your NeatConnect. Please review your Outbox to ensure that all of your items have been uploaded prior to applying the update.

I am happy to report that this worked for me.  I successfully installed the update and (re)connected the scanner to my account.  

I would note that Mike's situation wasn't unfamiliar and I would suggest a couple retries.

The first time I connected the account the scanner froze.

The second time after I rebooted it did not connect and gave me a weird reboot loop.

Third time was a charm.  

It's probably imperfect but it worked for me after a couple shots.

Hope this is the end of the nightmare.

• 1 month later...

I was just watching a webinar on paperless office from DottoTech. He claims Neat is getting out of the hardware business and will no longer be making & selling scanners. I suspect this means we may not see much more in the way of updates.

On the other hand, while I haven't had a chance to try it yet. it seems the more recent versions of the Fujitsu ix500 will work without being connected directly to a computer. They say it will send directly to several cloud services including Evernote.

It sounds like you do have to have an app on your iPhone or Android device for control & setup. I get the impression it will then communicate through Fujitsu's cloud service to connect to your cloud accounts.

I probably won't get one right away as I paid $400 for my Neatconnect and it's working fine at the moment.

Archived